z

Young Writers Society

The Nightmare - prologue

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 am
NightWriter says...

Spoiler! :
The Nightmare is written strangely. There is a prologue, and later there will be an epilogue. There is a part one, part two and part three. In each of these parts, the story is again, split. Not split into chapters, as expected. But split into the characters. Him, Her, Him, Her. So yes. This story will be a little hard to follow. Thankfully, it's good enough to. The title will always be "The Nightmare" and then "prologue" or "part one" followed by the number that we can assume as a chapter. In the description bar, it will say 'Him' or 'Her'. I think we can figure that it is their point of view. I'll put this spoiler on every one, just so you know.

Prologue.

It was with an aberrant fear that Mum ran. She held me, shielded in her arms, as if I would be snatched from her. She avoided the roads in the raucous sunlight of midday but would shiver and stumble from terror in the night.
She would trip and she would stumble, sometimes cursing, sometimes whimpering like a child. I was six and I was silent.
In sunlit hours, buried in inconspicuous hiding places, I slept, fitful alongside my nightmarish parent, my mind churning with a haze of panic. I never knew why I woke up crying. I never remembered the nightmares.
Sometimes my mother would scream while she slept; murderously, terrorized. When she woke, she would gather me in her arms and run as best she could, bleeding feet leading the journey.
It was a slow process, running away.

Sometimes, Mum would trip and fall, sprawled out across the ground. When she did, I would tumble from her arms onto the jagged rocks of the surrounding terrain. I would lie motionlessly, shivering from the frigid air.
Mum would pick me up; she would hold me closer…
…we ran until winter caught up with us …

Spoiler! :
Next Chapter: viewtopic.php?t=91587
Last edited by NightWriter on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:50 am
View Likes
dogs says...

Hey Night! Dogs here with your review today! Thanks so much for your kind reviews on my writing, so i figured I might as well return the favor! This is a great piece here, keeps the reader guessing and i am hooked already about why is the mother running. I can tell already that you have a frekan massive vocabulary my friend! I have never met anyone who has used "aberrant" or "raucous" in there writing! Props to you on that, those stronger words give this work an eerie feel to it.

So far so good on the writing. I am waiting for part 1-3! You have to tell me when they come out!!!!!!

Thats all I really have to say! Keep up the good work!!!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

161 Reviews

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 am
View Likes
NightWriter says...

Thanks Dogs!!

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 am
View Likes
StoryWeaver13 says...

This is reaaallllyyyyy compelling, I just want to keep reading! And I will. ;) So, if I forget, feel free to message me once you've got more chapters up and you're looking for another review. It's short and fast-paced, which I love honestly. I already feel an emotional pull towards the characters, or at least to their situation, and can't wait for the next part of this. I only have one small piece of advice, and that's not for the writing itself - since you say it might be hard to follow when not in actual book-format, you might just want to post a link to the next chapter at the bottom of each of these once they're posted, just so people have less chance of getting lost. Not necessary, just a thought, as I've seen some other YWSers do the same when it's a bit complicated.
Anyway, this was awesome!
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

161 Reviews

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:02 am
NightWriter says...

That was really helpful StoryWeaver! Thank you so much :)
I'll be putting the next part up in the next few minutes, so I'll attempt to attach a link.
Thank you again x

NightWriter x

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw