z

Young Writers Society

My Prologue

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:52 am
Elelel says...

There's something you're telling me that I'm not to sure on, just a sec...
Last edited by Elelel on Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

221 Reviews

Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:57 am
Elelel says...

ZZAP wrote:Your faeries are structurally unbalanced however. You need to know exactely what they stand for, what they do, and what are their limitations. As a writer, each and every character and individual in the story has their role, you need to act upon this role as if you were in their shoes. Even if you didn't have faerie "X", a variable, do a certain task in your novel, you want to know your characters so much that you would be able to tell me want faerie "X" would do. In this way, you are able to just able to manipulate their surroundings and environment, and the characters speak for themselves. You are a writer, and writers write what they picture.
-Z

I'm not entirly clear on what you are telling me to do here. Could you please clarify?
--Music and Lyrics

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:49 pm
ZZAP says...

It feels like you don't know exactely what the faeries' roles are. You have an idea, like they are evil and beautiful... But you don't know them. Here let me give you an example: Tell me exactely what faerie "father killer" would do in this situation. He happens to be in a bar, and someone pushes a guy next him so that his beer spills all over the faerie. What would the faerie do? I know this isn't in your story, but you need to know what exactely would be your characters' actions in they were put into a certain situation. I may be just blabbing away...

-ZZAP
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:10 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Ok, so I am here like you told me Eleore. I read that story...err...prologue...one word: wow. Simply, wow. That was...GRAND! Very good, although some parts I didnt understand. Well, must go now, dinner is calling.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

221 Reviews

Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:22 am
Elelel says...

thanks EBM, but tell me what you didn't understand, then I can fix it.

Zzap: If the person who spilt the beer was another fairy he would give him a painful lesson, or joke (depending on whether they were friends) If however the beer was not spilt by a fairy. The fairy would probably either give the human a good bashing, or kill him.

NOTE: but you were right, when I wrote that, I didn't know much about them.

Does anyone have any ways I could improve my over all style?
--Music and Lyrics

221 Reviews

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:38 am
Elelel says...

...anyone at all...
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm
Perra says...

Well, I'm sure someone's said this before, but maybe you could sit down with a book writen by your favorite author(or just your favorite book) and study the style. Just notice things the writer does. Like when I was obsessed with Harry Potter and wrote fanfics, I noticed some of the things J.K. Rowling does. She'll have something in one book, and use it in another. And the way she has dialogue, with 'said' or some word meaning spoke-in-this-way before the name of who said it, after the quotation(does that make since?). So, maybe you could also try writing a short fanfic where you try to stay true to the book, unlike some other fanfics I've read. :evil:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:41 am
ZZAP says...

Hmmmmm... Styles ehh? It's rather hard to figure that out. It's much like the personality of a baby. All of us here are in the beginning processes of writing, in which our personality (our style) is still lying dormant. You develop your style by writing. Hope that helps!

-ZZAP
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

221 Reviews

Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:29 am
Elelel says...

How do people like my style in that peice?

And what do you think I should be making better, or think is already good enough?

sorry, I must ask these questions though, I really want people's opinions
--Music and Lyrics

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:36 pm
Elocina says...

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I'm not apologizing to you only, El, but to myself as well. Why didn't I read that sooner? Hey, I said I was going to read it and I did. Just took me close to 4 weeks.

I assume you are using English, as opposed to American, because you spelled words in the 'English Fashion'. I just have 1 question now:

Where's the rest?
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:25 pm
Meshugenah says...

That's what i asked her awhile ago... lol and I believe i already critiqued this on another site...

221 Reviews

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:52 am
Elelel says...

He he yeah. I need to perfect the next bit. I didn't really think anyone was interested or I would have done it before now. OK, I'll start perfecting so I can post more!

PS, I'm an Aussie, so I spell things like "colour" the English way.
--Music and Lyrics

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:47 pm
Rei says...

A decent start. Great imagery. You make it very easy to picture what everything looks like. The only things that really bothered me were in the opening paragraphs. When you say they were too poor to even afford ..." It would be much stronger if you simply said, "they could not even afford ..." And you finish that paragraph by saying This was their bedroom. You should not have to say that. That should be clear without having to make such a statement. "Overpowering poverty" just sounded silly. There's no nicer way foe me to put that. And the names. Change them. One does not have enough vowels, and one has too many.[/quote]

221 Reviews

Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:34 am
Elelel says...

Yeah, I know the names aren't so great, and the paragraph you mentioned too. But I'm not so good at names so I'll keep them for now.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:56 am
Morgaine says...

El you know I've read this but I just re-read it and realised that Prmcite reminds me so much of my little sister :)
The Narwhales Are Coming...
Beware

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind