Young Writers Society

The Lockets -- Chapter I

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, Puppets!
Here to review ^^

So, you already have many, many nice reviews here so I won't bother going into much detail, I apologize.
But I will still give you my overall opinion on the plot and characters and whatever else I can think of. Now, starting with the introduction, I thought it was lacking. Nice description but it didn't have the strong pull, the grabber, the thing that catches your attention in a lasso and drags you towards the next sentence and so on. Slow opener, but it wasn't that bad. I do think, however, it could be worked upon. One more thing I'd like to mention about it is that you did quite the bit of info-dumping. You also jumped into the past and I found it quite difficult to keep pace with it. Be sure not to info dump and try not to confuse the readers right in the beginning with a bunch of facts. There is still plenty of time where you can explain things and slowly bring your character alive.

As we reach the core of your story, I find that you did a pretty nice job explaining the feelings that seemed to branch out between your characters here. You mentioned little things, small everyday matters that you would miss about your mother and told us exactly how much simple things matter. Anyway, without going much further into the story, I want to say, uh-oh. Haha, this is kinda like Taboo, if I think about it. Her boyfriend is going to be her step-brother if their parents get married, dun dun dun -enter forbidden romance- ;) I've also read the second part of this and wow, don't you think this is going a little too fast? I mean, Cloud can't just move in already. Plus, he's a guy, wouldn't they allow for more family time. They just told them about their engagement, didn't they? Just a thought, I know you're trying to build a, "Holy penguins!" atmosphere here but maybe you could insert some family time before her father decides to move Cloud in with her in the condominium. On a side note, I like how his name is Cloud. I keep picturing Cloud from Final Fantasy and drool. =D I know...I'm pathetic.

As I already mentioned, I'm not really going to dig deep into this story but I will give a short comment on your punctuation. You might want to take a second to brush up on those little comma rules and such. It shouldn't be too hard but definitely something you might want to go back and re-check. Also, by the looks of things, it seems that English is not your first language? If that is so, I still think you've done quite a splendid job at writing this. I know how it is to write in different languages and it's quite difficult to pull off. Keep up the good work. ^^

Overall, I did enjoy this first chapter. But to be frankly honest with you, the first half the character was a pull, it had too much sadness and it dragged a little. If I were to suggest something, I think you could have written the beginning of the meeting between her and Cloud and entered a tiny bit of info regarding her mother and all. But if her mother still plays a heavy role in her life then you could always expand on that accordingly. In the end, still had a good time reading this. Nice chapter and your descriptions were different and fun to read.
Alright, I'll get your next one done as soon as I can.^^
Cheers,

~Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm
jDawn says...

Hey! I'm here for my review, as requested!

I think my fellow reviewers have already covered everything, grammar wise, so I hope I don't repeat anything else.

Characters I think you could describe their looks and feelings just a tad more, get in your MC's shoes and be sure to describe how she feels as well as how the other characters look.

Setting You did a really nice job with the setting, expecially weather/temperature wise.

Overall Sometimes I noticed you had paragraphs of info-dumps. I would try to stay clear of those because when you do that, it makes it hard to stay focused and continue reading. other than that, I think this is very well done! Now I'm off to chapter two, sorry I couldn't find much. : D

- Jessica
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:16 am
RacheDrache says...

Try to lengthen sentences with conjunctions and punctuation. Short sentences make the text seem unintelligent

One of the other reviewers mentioned that, and it caught my eye because it was in red. My immediate reaction to it was "NO!" Short sentences do not make text seem unintelligent. What you want is a variety of lengths and types, not a whole slate of long sentences. Short sentences are tools for effective, powerful writing, just like every length of sentence in between. Just because shorter sentences are generally easier to understand does not mean they make your writing unintelligent.

...ahem. [/rant]

Anyway, it's Rach, and I'm here to review at last.

I'm gonna echo some of the others in saying that your English is incredible, especially considering that you don't live in an English-dominant country. In fact, if high school students here in the States had your level of mastery, teachers everywhere would be on their knees in thanks.

That's not to say that your grammar and language usage was perfect, but I think others pointed out some rough spots and the weird phrasing. And really, the only fix you have for it, besides relying on native English speakers, is to keep reading and writing. Especially the reading part, because that'll give you a sense of tone and connotation and all that.

The main things that I want to bring up instead are more story-related elements. In the order in which I remember them...

1) In your dialogue, you have the speaker reference the addressee a lot, and people don't usually say a person's name when speaking to him or her--at least in English. It's always tempting, because authors always want to make sure the reader knows who's being addressed, and it's dramatic, but 9 out of 10 times, cutting the name out is a good idea. Makes dialogue read much more smoothly and naturally.

2) There was one section in the middle-ish where everything went into full-scale "Tell mode." It was a lot of exposition and background stuff, and it was all in one big meaty chunk. It begins here
Why? Well--who could ever deny such food delectability? Every heavenly delicious meal I had ever tasted in my life was conjured—fried or baked or simmered or sautéed—by this handsome young man.
and ends
His statements were stark incongruous, too inexplicable that I already ceased in convincing him. And why would he describe me as if I did not care about being a teenager at all? He just didn't know. He just didn't know…

And... I suggest either cutting it or breaking it all up and dispersing it here and there throughout the chapter and the novel at large. Which brings me to

3) A whole heck of a lot is going on in this chapter! And... it's too long because of that. I can't get my head around just quite what it's about. The conflict at the end of the first part is evident, because their father has a fiance and their mother was so important to them... It was all sort of unclear to me. I couldn't tell how many years had passed, and keeping present and past separate were difficult. I suggest streamlining and focusing in and moving the excess stuff for later in the story. It's frontloaded now, and dispersing it will keep the reader engaged.

I'd suggest beginning closer to where the fiance walks in, and moving the reflections and reminiscences later. After all, it seems like a bit of premonition your main character's part for her to be thinking about how special their mother was right before she's being 'replaced!'

So, maybe do some rearranging? Begin with them either in the penthouse already or with them arriving at it. Don't spend too much time reflecting on their mother, because then it'll feel to the reader as if your narrator knows what's going to happen. Besides, if Snowflake just randomly runs out, we the readers won't know why if you save some of that information for later. And when readers don't know why, they want to find answers, and they read on.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if something didn't make sense! I'm a PM or a Wall post away!

Rach
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:05 pm
ImABookPerson says...

Hello Jash! I'm here on a mission! that is to review this story :D

First of all, I got to agree with Yuri and Skins :D
But your chapter was really long, try making it shorter next time( in my opinion)
and another thing! :) I loved how you used different language!! which i can understand of course ;) (since I am an asian to :P)

Other that that, I really loved it! You got me hooked, I can't wait for the next chapter :D
Keep on writing!
p.s your vocabulary are superb :3
and sorry If this isn't a real review, I just don't like to critic on people work :P

~Book Person~
I won't run when the sky turns to flame
and I sure won't budge when the earth does shake
when the flood comes up, I will dance in the rain
'cause it's all the same to me

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm
Jashael says...

ImABookPerson wrote:Hello Jash! I'm here on a mission! that is to review this story :D

First of all, I got to agree with Yuri and Skins :D
But your chapter was really long, try making it shorter next time( in my opinion)
and another thing! :) I loved how you used different language!! which i can understand of course ;) (since I am an asian to :P)

Other that that, I really loved it! You got me hooked, I can't wait for the next chapter :D
Keep on writing!
p.s your vocabulary are superb :3
and sorry If this isn't a real review, I just don't like to critic on people work :P

~Book Person~

Hi, Ima! Thanks for the review! =)) I've posted the other one actually. =D/
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:38 pm
Flower~Child says...

Hey there, here as requested! Sorry I am so late, I have been very busy.
(Pt. 1)

I - Paradoxes

It was a dull afternoon in late autumn when you could watch the remaining brown, yellow and orange leaves being blown away by the wind leaving the tree branches bare. I strolled down the city streets with my twin sister, Snowflake, obliviously watching a brown, crippled leaf flutter across the path and against the footsteps of the bustling crowd. Reflective thoughts conquered my mind in my afternoon amble: I am not supposed to be here, I do not want to be here, at the other phase of this dying orb is where I long to be. I like your begining. It's not extremely strong, but the last line caught my attention.

I paused at the thought and closed my eyes into a powerful contemplation. I could perfectly remember that a few years ago, though it must have been a similar dull afternoon in late autumn, on the other side of the world, rain had gently caressed my cheek and one of the red roses I had thrown before me--on that black velvet box that was being buried six feet underground, beside that block of cement where “Angelyn Leshathé” was engraved. This paragraph seems really rushed to me. All of the sentences seem combined. I would separate the description instead of having it in one sentence.

It crossed my mind that solely a decade had passed, I was standing perhaps right through here, heels over head, in a black raincoat too big that the prickly rose I was holding was hidden under the sleeves. An innocent eight-year-old child Comma here.—just as I was—A comma would go here.whose face had swollen from three days nonstop weeping, was leaning her head against my right shoulder I didn't get this sentence. Try to be more clear., her eyes ablaze with much confusion and fright. That particular girl had had indeed the most intimate relationship with her mother, and next to her father, she was the one having the hardest time letting go. You are getting into what you are talking about, but you are rushing. Try just giving this a slower feel. You are talking about death and such and such, and that would be a depresing slow feeling.

It also crossed my mind that only ten years have gone by, Father, clothed, as ever simple as he is, with a shirt and a pair of slacks, was standing next to the little girl. He had stood with a poise showing fearsome courage. But I could remember exactly how that young man had grimaced at the horrible scene before him. Obviously, he was simply hiding his misery and, too, was in the throes of great loss.

“May she rest in peace” is what I had uttered back then--at the other side of this world--to break the dismal melody the tender drops of water were playing. Now you are getting the sad feeling.

If twenty-four years had gone by too fast and were not enough for those who deeply love her, what more can a hundred months offer?

All of that flashed in my mind like a spooling sepia film, and tears fell instantly down my cheeks. The details were magnificently real--too painful.

"Yue." A hand rubbed my back. "It's time to go."

I opened my eyes and looked at Snowflake. I faintly nodded.

I watched the sky grow darker as Snowflake moseyed down the road. My eyes then shifted to the buildings. I was imagining what could lay beyond those facades. It must be the sun; it has to be the sun. All those ten whole years, I have never seen the sun set at this side of the world. But when Mother was still alive, Father always took us by the bay every weekend. I remembered well what it looked like on the other part of the Sphere: the sun's pinkish-orange rays would shine on everything. From red-laced pink clouds to purple puffed-up ones, the beams would paint the sky with the colours of the rainbow and would glisten on the crystalline waters, creeping down on our cheerful countenances. I love your description here.

I loved that scene--natural beauty of creation devoid of any city’s insinuation; and I had hated it when the vast illumination would slowly fade away and be replaced by its reflection on the moon.

You're as beautiful as those panorama of lights, Mother.

I sighed.

Why does the sun have to set so soon?

I rested a cheek on my arms horizontally lain on the open window and smelled the odd scent of dried leaves.

“Psst…Snow!” I ejaculated. “Remember our little squabble?”

“What could make me forget?” She giggled as she nudged me. “It was freakin’ stupid!”

I lay back in the car and started to chuckle myself, but a glance at the window was all I needed to stop.

“I was trying to admire that tremendously beautiful view…beyond those buildings,” I whispered to Snowflake, “and you brayed at me for doing so.”

“I know,” she whispered back, “I remember.”

We drove by an endless cemented pavement edged with successive lampposts. Each turn we took; each intersection we crossed; each shop, or building, or house that we passed by; all were too familiar, and I kept asking myself: How could all these things remain the same after everything has changed?

We reached Father’s penthouse. Just twenty minutes away.

"Father?" I mummbled as I opened the door.

It didn't surprise me that it wasn't locked. Father always left his door unlocked when he knew he would be having guests.

"Father?" I repeated.

Snowflake pushed me in. "Just get inside, creep." She laughed and entered as well. Why did she call her a creep?
I
looked around, and my eyes could never miss that paradoxical ornament. There was a big, yellow vase full of flowers sitting in the middle of the room. It was bright and colorful and Father most certainly did not deliberately buy or request it.

"Wow." I heard Snowflake say under her breath as she closed the door behind her.

"Yes, wow," I echoed.

I paced to the flowers--stunned. These were not those common beauties I had been forced to believe ‘’ordinary’’ within those ten years. Gumamelas and Sampaguitas, flowers I had not seen for far too long than what I thought I could not bear. I smiled as I scrutinized them, gently feeling the textures of the petals. My fingers slid down the stems and on the vase--from prickly to smooth. I closed my eyes and smelled the flowers. The bouquet had love and sedulity painted in its arrangement. Whoever sent this must have really adored Mother.

“Where did all these flowers come from, Dad?” I asked as I held up one of the floras. “It’s magic.” He seems to have entered quietly, I don't know how she could have already seen him if Snowflake didn't.
“They’re from your grandpa,” Father said as he went out the kitchen, wiping off bits of flour from his face. “Grandpa Bob.”

"Dad!" Snowflake ran to him.

"Hey, honey."

Father hugged Snowflake and kissed her on the forehead. When Snowflake pulled away, he hugged me as well.

“You can stay and rest in my bedroom. I know it’s been a hard day for you two,”—he looked at Snowflake—“especially you, Hon. There will be guests tonight for dinner, so go on. Take some rest. I’ll be in the kitchen.” Wouldn't it be get some rest?

Snowflake and I reposed in Father’s room. How comfortable were we. It was peaceful, and the serenity helped my thinking to stop for awhile and let me relax. I lay on the bed. Snowflake plopped beside me, her blue dress puffing up a bit. She pulled out a receptacle from her bag and began applying make-up. She asked if she could do the same on me, and I allowed her to.

“Take off your glasses,” she requested, “and close your eyes. Pink shadow? It will perfectly match your black garb.”

“You’re the expert.” I smiled and closed my eyes. I felt the brush lightly touch my eyelid, and for a moment there, my mind began to wander again.

Evidently, she had known about it all along. The medical consultant told her so. And if it were not for Snowflake’s inane question, I would have not asked my own asinine question, and Mom would have not given us the advice we needed to overcome the tormenting depression our juvenile minds entertained. This really caught my attention, in a good way that is. I think I am starting to get this.

It must be rather absurd and a waste of time to let your tears flow over a reflection of a woman whose absence is still arousing a feeling of despair. That’s how some people think, but I guess for us, there was nothing wrong to weep. With weeping.

A girl who had entered her teens five years ago would rather fantasize about being inducted in some surreptitious agency than to learn how to concoct a succulent dish which she might actually find practical and useful in future matters? It was a lame plot for a story anyway. I like how this shows her lack of confidence here.

"I don't wanna be part of any of the b*llsh*t going on." She exited and slammed the door. Aw, this made me sad........................................................................

Ok. So I liked this, alot. I think you have a good idea, whether it be common or not. I put what I thought of it above, but I can't really fix it. It's really good.
Sorry for the dissapointing review.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:15 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Jash,

I'm Tanya :D I've been meaning to review this for some time but I've never quite got around to it.

First of all: your english is amazing. But your approach to your writing is quite formal and frankly threw me off and some points. At some point, your MC 'ejaculated' instead of simply saying, or screaming what she had in mind. We very rarely see that in a book and I really got stuck on it. I was trying to figure out exactly how she said her sentence, you know?

That being said, I was blown away by your use of the speech. Yes, it is formal but your vocabularly is much wider used than mine, haha. Nicely done. I loved your descriptions and although they were lenghty, they were nicely done.

As for the plot, please forgive me if I find it very very confusing. The plot per se, no, but the characters and the names? Whoa! I don't recall a mention of their father being a westerner and their mother filipino. But the fact that you kept changing the names, Sunshine to Yue, Mother to Ina (?) and so forth. And the fact that you add the translation in brackets really pulled me from the story because YOU are telling US what the translation was. Maybe a good way for this was to say something like, "I knew when Snowflake called me by my filipino name (forgive me, I don't know another way to say that) that she was feeling excited or sad or sentimental" That way, we get the idea what the translation is.

Too much is happening at once. We get the feeling that Sun is still mourning her mother, then you throw us in the past. I'm still not sure how many years she's been dead. You keep saying ten years, then you said something about twenty-four years. Yes, I understand that losing a parent is hard, but she is still very much living in the past. You have to wonder about that when Snow seems quite fine. Yet, it is Snow who reacts harshly when she finds out about the fiancé.

That being said, doesn't the father know how much their Mother's death still affects his daughters? Why didn't he warn them he was dating another woman? I find that very careless of him, yet, you portray him to be a kind, loving father. WOuldn't he want to avoid any pain and heartache?

Also, I find that everything's happening so fast. We suddenly meet all these people, and frankly, why should I care? We haven't gotten 'properly introduced' to any of them yet, haven't seen a romantic moment between Cloud and Sun (haha) to care whether they will become brother and sister. And why would the father have Cloud living with Snow?

I just find a lot of this unbelievable. I understand that it's a rough draft but these are things you might want to think over. Don't throw too many people our way, don't give them too many names from the start, help us like your characters before you throw any drama in. I mean, we should have known that Snow was on the verge of breaking like this and we would see this coming, you know? Have you ever read a book where one character tells another; I was in the army and I've come to hate guns. If any ever pulled one on me, I'd go beserk!
Then the next scene or two or three, a gun is pulled on the character and we all think "Oh no!" That is what I'd like to see here. A bit of context before the drama starts. Am I making any sense? If not, Pm me and I'll explain a little better.

Another point. How does your MC feel? You should us the great relationship she has with her sister and suddenly the sister ups and leaves and all she does is head for a box of pictures? Why? Shouldn't she be missing her other half? If this is something her sister does regularly, shouldn't it be mentioned? And how does she feel about her father ? It seems to me, their was a lot more telling that showing, you know? Like telling us she was disapointed, how about showing us?

Your plot idea is good, Jash. In fact, I can't wait to read the other chapters you have, which is what I'm going to do now. I hope this review was helpful. It's not meant to be harsh, and I do commend you on your story, as well as your english. You have talent, that is for sure :D

Tanya

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Jash! Shubhi here to review. Sorry it took me time, but it was real long.

It was a dull afternoon in late autumn when you could watch the remaining brown, yellow and orange leaves being blown away by the wind, leaving the tree branches bare.
I'll have to admit that you hooked me on from the first line and I couldn't stop reading the next lines. Nice beginning.

I strolled down the city streets with my twin sister, Snowflake, obliviously watching a brown, crippled leaf flutter across the path and against the footsteps of the bustling crowd.
I again liked this line, but the main problem is that I found this a bit long. But when I read it again, I thought there was no way you could cut it short so let it be like that.

It also crossed my mind that only ten years have gone by, Father, clothed, as ever simple as he is, with a shirt and a pair of slacks, was standing next to the little girl.
Don't you think this 'crossed my mind' is getting too frequent. What say about changing it for something more better?

Is Yue the name or were you attempting an expression similar to or 'ew'? If it's that same expression, then it should be 'ew' not 'yue'.

That particular girl had had indeed the most intimate relationship with her mother, and next to her father, she was the one having the hardest time letting it go.

"Father?" I mummbled(no double m) as I opened the door.
It just seemed awkward to me that somebody would mumble when they enter the house, as if the person even if is inside would listen them, Something like whispered would have been better, although not perfect.

I lay on the bed.
All this while we were in the past tense and now you come to present from nowhere. I think it should be 'laid'. Not think, I am sure.

We were the three missus-keteers wearing our best nightgowns.
I liked the humor of changing the spelling.

She was deeply touched by the sight of a weeping mother.
A weeping mother? I just found this a bit weird. it indicates that she is bothered just because of a lady whose a mother and is crying. But when you mean the sight of her own mother weeping filled her heart. So it should be 'the sight of our weeping mother'.

Theresa swiftly passed by Cloud and I
You never say 'Theresa passed by I.' Do you?So you have to see here also and write me instead of 'I'.

How would you feel in my place? What would you do?
I liked the rhetorical questions here you put up but I think they didn't impact me as much as they couldv'e. Seriously, when a thing like this was being blown on her, I could have done with more expressions-in her voice, in her style, thinking, etc, etc.

I think I didn't find much mistakes here leaving behind some minor ones which you could take care of from next time once you're aware of it, right? Many reviewers have already pointed out tons of mistakes so sorry if anything gets repeated. What honestly I would like to say is that this was sweet, definitely a novel I would pick to read, but the amount of it that you posted in a single chapter was so much and you might not have got that much a good review as you could have had you posted it in parts. But I ain't groaning, I would have loved it more if it was short, you could have posted it in parts. Now that was a bit of my complain now let's come to a review.

This was a sweet story, definitely has potential and it had good and bold thoughts and emotions. This is a lot of emotion-filled story and you have to be careful in future, like you were now, to not over-flow the chapters with emotions and keep a thick line between them and over use of them. I would, like Yuri and Skins have already said like to express my wonder on your so strong vocabulary and the way you know how to express it. You never put words for the heck of them, but they are carefully planned out. The other thing I liked were the names of the characters-Snowflake and Cloud, as if I had entered some story-land. XD! The names were sweet. I just found Cloud name a bit weird, but hey story is good. So it doesn't actually matters. My main critique here would be that I have heard about stories like these, just don't get me wrong, so you have to work really hard and make this your won imagination. It would be a tough job.

I don't know about others but I liked reading both the parts. I might have some issues with the fact that was this her mom's death anniversary? If yes, didn't her dad have some other better occassion to tell about his engagement? Freak, seriously! I feel bad for Neesh and Cloud-now what about them? I just found small mistakes and points since people have already picked on quite well. These were strong things which I very well understand are normal since yours and mine first language isn't English. For that fact to be, you were AWESOME and I wonder why didn't anyone enter 'like' button till now. Coz' I am gonna! :D

Good Luck writing,
Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

319 Reviews

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am
Jashael says...

Oh, Shubs! Thanks so much, esp. for the like! =D/

Thank ya'll...I'm learning so much. =))

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:29 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey, I forgot to mention or rather ask where was Snowflake going. Back to Julliard? If yes, I guess you should have told that coz' it held me confused for sometime.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

319 Reviews

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 am
Jashael says...

Shubhi wrote:Hey, I forgot to mention or rather ask where was Snowflake going. Back to Julliard? If yes, I guess you should have told that coz' it held me confused for sometime.

You'll have to read chapter II, Shubs. *wink* HAHA XD

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:46 pm
Flower~Child says...

I really like chapter 2 of this story. It is way more gripping, and I really was truly curious to what was happening. I didn't really see any errors in it, and the thing with Cloud made me curious.

Can't wait to read more.

-Flow-
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

319 Reviews

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm
Jashael says...

Flower~Child wrote:I really like chapter 2 of this story. It is way more gripping, and I really was truly curious to what was happening. I didn't really see any errors in it, and the thing with Cloud made me curious.

Can't wait to read more.

-Flow-

Wow, thanks flow. Gee...I was glad at least some people are enjoying my story so far. XD
I'll try to post the next chap before this month ends, but no promises. XD Thanks again, Flow. =))

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:59 pm
iceprincess says...

Hi jash! Ice here to review as requested! :wink:

Part One is really good, and most other reviewers (especially SporkPunk) have pointed out all the things that aren't quite right. So I'll just start talking about Part Two.

“He’s to stay with you in the condominium--in Snow’s place.” Father explained.

From what I've read, Father doesn't use formal language unlike his daughter. Perhaps he would say "condo" instead.

She poised in an exaggerated manner at the sight of our brother-to-be

This particular sentence confused me and actually took me out of the story to properly imagine what she was doing.

Since many reviewers before me have talked about all of the points that I would liked to have addressed in this chapter, I’ll talk about Sunshine (I find it ironic that her nickname, “Yue”, is actually a transliteration for “moon” in Mandarin XD).

As you know, when you write in first-person, it’s easier for us readers to empathise and sympathise with our main character --- or the narrator --- and is an excellent way to make us feel what the narrator is going through.

You have a done a great job at doing both. See, halfway through the chapter I already had immense dislike for Yue. I don’t know whether this is intentional or not, but this doesn’t matter. :wink:

Yue comes off to me as a pompous brat, especially when she made those snide comments about her very own flesh and blood --- her own twin sister. In the whole course of the two parts there was nothing that might even insinuate Snowflake’s immaturity.

And when Snow left without another word, when Yue didn’t even care what she was up to, I had this impulse to punch Yue. What kind of cold-hearted person are you? I wanted to scream. You think more highly of Cloud than your own twin, you pretentious, lofty idiot!

She reminds me of Mary Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, a sanctimonious girl who has neither wit nor brain nor looks, and covers all her faults with grandiloquent language. Luckily Yue has a brain, and does write such beautiful descriptions, or else I would have stopped reading this long before I began this review.

Don’t get me wrong, Jash, you’re a tremendously good writer, and I would definitely read your novel if it was published, but the fact is: Yue is quite annoying.

You give us such a good description of how heartbroken Yue still is over her mother’s death; of how she loves her usually absent father as well. You paint this portrait of how she loves her family and boyfriend, yet Snow is excluded from this picturesque scene.

Give us reasons why Snow is (more) annoying than Yue, or else I might have to assume that Yue is simply jealous of the attention and popularity Snow seems to have. But if she was as mature as she depicted herself as, then she would have got rid of such inane jealousies long ago.

Yue is human, human enough to make me dislike her and make others pleased with her intelligence, but I think she should have as many strengths in her as her flaws.

All-in-all, I thought this was a brilliant chapter, and now I’m off to read the next one! :D

~Ice =]

P.S: If I haven't mentioned it yet, you're a great writer, Jash.
you'll never find another sweet little girl with sequined sea foam eyes
ocean lapping voice, smile coy as the brightest quiet span of sky
and you're all alone again tonight; not again, not again, not again.
and don't it feel alright, and don't it feel so nice? lovely.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 pm
Tigersprite says...

Tiger here to review per request. Comments will be in bold. Disclaimer: review may be HARSH.

(Pt. 1)

I - Paradoxes

It was a dull afternoon in late autumn when you could watch the remaining brown, yellow and orange leaves being blown away by the wind leaving the tree branches bare I feel that part is unnecessary, plus it implies that the wind is strong enough to rip leaves off a tree. I strolled down the city streets with my twin sister, Snowflake, obliviously unnecessary description watching a brown, crippled leaf flutter across the path and against the footsteps flow/ direction of the bustling crowd. Reflective thoughts conquered ran in my mind in my afternoon amble We've already established that it is the afternoon and that she is walking about: I am not supposed to be here, I do not want to be here, at the other phase of this dying orb is where I long to be.

I paused at the thought and closed my eyes into a powerful contemplation. I could perfectly remember thata few years ago, though it must have been on a similar dull afternoon in late autumn and on the other side of the world, rain had gently caressed my cheek and one of the red roses I had thrown before me--on that black velvet box that was being buried six feet underground, beside that block of cement where “Angelyn Leshathé” Question: How do you pronounce that? was engraved.

It crossed my mind that solely the context sounds odd, perhaps you should use 'only' a decade had passed, I was standing perhaps right through why is this italicized? here, heels over head, in a black raincoat too big that the prickly rose I was holding was hidden under the sleeves. An innocent eight-year-old child—just as I was shouldn't this be 'just as I had been'?—whose face had swollen from three days nonstop weeping I know sadness can be extreme, but this doesn't sound very believable was leaning her head against my right shoulder, her eyes ablaze with much confusion and fright. That particular girl had had indeed the most intimate relationship with her mother, and next to her father she was the one having the hardest time letting go.

It also crossed my mind that only ten years have gone by. Getting really confused. You keep switching tenses. Father, clothed , as ever simple as he is, as simply/ casually as usual with a shirt and a pair of slacks, was standing next to the little girl. He had stood with a poise pose showing fearsome courage fearsome courage? Can you fear the courage someone shows?. But I could remember exactly how that young man had grimaced at the horrible scene before him. Obviously, he was simply hiding his misery and , too, was in the throes of great loss throes of great loss? How about throes of despair/ depression/ sadness, etcetera.

“May she rest in peace” is what I had uttered back then--at the other side of this world--to break the dismal melody the tender drops of water were playing.

If twenty-four years had gone by too fast and were not enough for those who deeply loved her, what more can a hundred months offer?

All of that flashed in my mind like a spooling sepia film, and tears fell instantly down my cheeks. The details were magnificently too real--too painful.

I opened my eyes and looked at Snowflake. I faintly nodded.

I watched the sky grow darker as Snowflake moseyed we walked down the road. My eyes then shifted to the buildings. I was imagining what could lay beyond those facades. It must be the sun; it has to be the sun. All those ten whole years, I have never seen the sun set at this side of the world. But when Mother was still alive, Father always took us by the bay every weekend. I remembered well what it looked like on the other part of the Sphere: the sun's pinkish-orange rays would shine on everything. From red-laced pink clouds to purple puffed-up ones, the beams would paint the sky with the colours of the rainbow and would glisten on the crystalline waters, creeping down on our cheerful countenances.

I loved that scene--the natural beauty of creation devoid of any city’s insinuation; and I had hated it when the vast illumination would slowly fade away and be replaced by its reflection on the moon.

You're as beautiful as those panorama of lights, Mother.

I sighed.

Why does the sun have to set so soon?

I rested a cheek on my arms horizontally lain which lay on the open window and smelled the odd scent of dried leaves. Where are they? I thought they walking in the city street?

“Psst…Snow!” I ejaculated said. SAID. When someone is talking, said is fine for almost every situation. Using another word can just about kill the sentence and make the reader stop reading to search for their dictionary :wink: .
“Remember our little squabble?”

“What could make me forget?” She giggled as she nudged me. “It was freakin’ stupid!”

I lay back in the car and started to chuckle myself, but a glance at the window was all I needed to stop.

“I was trying to admire that tremendously beautiful view that doesn't sound like something someone would say naturally …beyond those buildings,” I whispered to Snowflake, “and you brayed brayed? Like a horse? at me for doing so.”

“I know,” she whispered back, “I remember.”

We drove by an endless cemented pavement edged with successive lampposts This whole sentence is unnecessary and over-descriptive. Each turn we took; each intersection we crossed; each shop, or building, or house that we passed by; all were too familiar, and I kept asking myself: How could all these things remain the same after everything has changed?

We reached Father’s penthouse. Just twenty minutes away.

"Father?" I mummbled as I opened the door. I'm getting the impression here that they just walked up

It didn't surprise me that it wasn't locked. Father always left his door unlocked when he knew he would be having guests.

"Father?" I repeated.

Snowflake pushed me in. "Just get inside, creep." She laughed and entered as well.

I looked around, and my eyes could never miss the paradoxicalover description.ornament. There was a big, yellow vase full of flowers sitting in the middle of the room. It was bright and colorful and Father most certainly did not deliberately buy or request it.

"Wow," I heard Snowflake say under her breath as she closed the door behind her.

"Yes, wow," I echoed.

I paced walked. You seem to feel the need to replace ordinary words with others which are far too unnecessary to the flowers, stunned. These were not those common beauties I had been forced to believe ‘’ordinary’’ why didn't you use normal inverted commas? within those ten years What does this sentence mean?. Gumamelas and Sampaguitas the flower types don't really need to be italicized, flowers I had not seen for far too long than what I thought I could not bear. I smiled as I scrutinized that doesn't even sound right. Merely use 'looked'. And anyway, she's been looking at them for quite a while now them, gently feeling the textures of the petals. My fingers slid down the stems and onto the vase--from prickly to smooth. I closed my eyes and smelled the flowers. The bouquet had love and sedulity painted in its arrangement 'been arranged lovingly'. Again, over-description. Whoever sent this must have really adored Mother.

“Where did all these flowers come from, Dad?” I asked as I held up one of them floras. “It’s They're like magic.”

“They’re from your grandpa,” Father said as he went came out of the kitchen, wiping off bits of flour from his face. “Grandpa Bob.” We've been introduced to all these strange names, Snowflake and Yue and Angelyn...and then you use 'Bob'. Of all the common and plain names on this Earth, that's got to be number one.

"Dad!" Snowflake ran to him.

"Hey, honey."

Father hugged Snowflake and kissed her on the forehead. When Snowflake pulled away, he hugged me as well.

“You can stay and rest in my bedroom. I know it’s been a hard day for you two,”—he looked at Snowflake—“especially you, Hon. There will be guests tonight for dinner, so go on. Take Get some rest. I’ll be in the kitchen.”

Snowflake and I reposed rested. This story has a lot of purple prose in it. :? in Father’s room. How comfortable were we. It was peaceful, and the serenity helped my thinking to stop for awhile and let me relax. I lay on the bed. Snowflake plopped down beside me, her blue dress puffing up a bit. She pulled out a receptacle purple prose from her bag and began applying make-up. She asked if she could do the same on me, and I allowed her to.

“Take off your glasses,” she requested, “and close your eyes. Pink shadow? It will perfectly match your black garb clothes.”

“You’re the expert.” I smiled and closed my eyes. I felt the brush lightly touch my eyelid, and for a moment there, my mind began to wander again.

I could see myself bonding with Mother and Snowflake, still so young and still so innocent. I started to missed the way she would strike um, you mean brush, right? our hair with a Goody brush when we were seven. I started to missed the way Mother’s sable hair draped over fell past her shoulders, contrasting greatly with Snowflake’s and my in contrast to our white-blond hair.I could still remember the aroma of the lemongrass shampoo, sometimes rosemary, which would fill the room every time we would raffle that veil of ebony silk before bedtime This sentence is perfectly fine as: I could still remember its scent, sometimes that of her lemongrass shampoo, that of sometimes rosemary. It always filled the room. In fact, I could remember the scent so well, the childhood memories it roused were so real. We were the three missus-keteers wearing our best nightgowns.

“Mom,”--my sister would start to ask apparently silly questions; Mother held her in her arms--“if I die, will you cry?”

Mother had never seemed to mind her ridiculous inquiries [b]questions[/b], and she would always give Snowflake a satisfying answer. “Of course, my dear, but I would never want that to happen.”

Inay (mother),” I had asked next while twisting Mother’s hair around my finger, “when should I expect people to die?” Why would one sister of the same age as the other call their Mother 'mom' in (what I think) is English, and the other mother in another language? It's rather odd. :? I was always more curious in sensible things and was believed to show more maturity than my sister. “And if someone I love dies,” I had added, “what would be the best thing to do?”

Mother’s face began to look startled and people don't begin to look startled weary. I had felt as if I had asked a sillier question than Snowflake; it only brought up silence. But Mother, having stared at me for a minute, had started to carry carried me on her lap with Snowflake. Then she hugged us both, very tight.

“Of course,” she said as a tear fell off the bridge of her nose, “of course, you would have to cry for awhile, if you really love and dear that person. But then, you have to be strong…” She said with a lower tone of voice, “…and soon let go of your despair, but never the moments you’ve cherished with that person.”

Tears had fallen down the bridge of Snowflake’s nose as well. She was deeply touched by the sight of a weeping mother. This sentence just sounds too strange. Suddenly Yue seems like a mind-reading outsider.

But as for me, I was reflecting each word Mother had said and, apparently, was too busy to cry. I knew that there was something significant about her late night speech that a seven-year-old child could not easily comprehend I don't think a seven-year old would understand or know the words 'significant' and 'comprehend'. I don't think they'd understand quite a few other terms seven-year old Yue has used either. And I would only figure out what she really meant six months after that particular conversation with her--when Snowflake and I had exchanged warm embraces under the moonlight, trying to console each other beside the glimmer of stars on the gentle rush of the waters flowing underneath our soles. We were shedding tears crying for our dearest mother.

Evidently, she had known about it all along. The medical consultant told her so. And if it were not for Snowflake’s inane question, I would have not asked my own asinine stupid/ silly. I can't think of Yue as a child anymore. question, and Mom would have not given us the advice we needed to overcome the tormenting depression our juvenile minds entertained. Purple prose again, Jash.

But I was innocent. I had known nothing of this thing called ‘’death’’ use inverted commas, not double commas until my own mother passed away. So I just hugged her back then, very tight, and tried to imagine what it would be like to die. I just thought and thought as I felt my right shoulder being drenched with my mother’s and sister’s tears. More questions stimulated my mind each more minute I thought.

What would hurt more, your own death or the death of a loved one?

“Yuenish,” Snowflake said; the brushing ceased. “Open your eyes,” she commanded this breaks the flow of the speech—and so I did. She was staring at me with a sad smile. “You’re crying.”

I watched a faint figure of a girl She handed me a handkerchief. I took the cloth and hastily wiped off away my tears. We hugged each other and cried.

It's must be rather absurd and a waste of time choose one to let your tears flow over a reflection of a woman whose is absent absence is still arousing a feeling of despair. That’s how some people think, but I guess for us, there was nothing it wasn't wrong to weep. Especially at the time you were missing that person the most.

“You’re finally crying, Yue,” Snowflake jokingly [/s ]remarked.

We both laughed at her comment. I blew my nose and she continued applying make-up [s]on
to me.

“What do you suppose is Father’s motive for tonight?” I asked Snowflake.

“How the hell am I supposed to know, Yue?” she retorted retorted sounds odd here, perhaps 'replied' would've been better?, “maybe a special dinner commemoration for Mom?”

Our conversation yielded in turned to silence. I justwaited for Snowflake to finish what she was doing then we lingered in the kitchen.

The kitchen had always been a humdrum place for me, and it was the least expected division part of a the house that you would least expect to find me in. Conversely Wrong word. 'In contrast', whenever, wherever, this room was the heart of a home for my dearest father.

Why? Well--who could ever deny such food delectability? Every heavenly over-description delicious meal I had ever tasted in my life was conjured made—fried or baked or simmered or sautéed—by this handsome young man.

Our father, Darwin Leshathé, was a famous chef. If he wasn't signing fan-books for his popular novels, he was starring in a cook show that had reached international reputation.

Like him, I knew I ought to write, too; I showed potential as young as two. But, on the other hand, no matter how much my father wanted it to happen, Snowflake would never follow his steps on in being a master cook.

They always used to fight over what Snowflake would be when she grew up, but it was of no use. She insisted to on being a dancer--swift but graceful--just like Mother. So when Snowflake's defiance had gotten under Father's skin, he finally gave in and let Snowflake move into New York to study at Julliard University. But I stayed in another penthouse here in Seattle.

Father’s apartment was more luxurious than mine, of course; but I was quite overwhelmed with the plush surroundings Father had provided for me when we entered college. We had always lived a plain life despite of our family’s fortune—just settling in a simple house in Snohomish I'm guessing this is a made up place. Because it looks near-impossible to pronounce. We moved because Father thought he would have had more opportunities to work in this city. And he was right. Offers were profuse here. Everything evenbegan to be all about work--work, work, work. And not before long, Father had begun to be too busy for us that'so'/ 'to the extent that'he pretty much gave us everything we wanted just for the in substitution of for his absence.

I must admit, it was very hard for me to grow up and look for my place in this world without the guidance of a parent--harder for Snowflake still; but somehow, we did make it, though Father became too indulgent and allowed Snowflake’s attitude to take a remarkable change much in the previous last few years. Permitting his lack of family time to be replaced by money, money itself turned my sister into a spoiled lady, who most of the time, if not always, got her way.

I had already told Father that there were certain things he should have been doing himself. He should have stopped thinking that entertaining gadgets and the latest fashion could be alternatives to his obligation as a father—as our father. But he would always rationalize. For instance...

“Sunshine, dear, look at yourself. Do you act like your sister? She’s just like that, moody and sulky. Period. Maybe she’s having a harder time entering the adult world unlike you. You’re too mature to think about being in at all. Besides, I spend Christmas Days with you guys, right?”

His statements were stark incongruous, too inexplicable that I already ceased in convincing him. And why would he describe me as if I did not care about being a teenager at all? He just didn't know. He just didn't know…

Snowflake went to the living room and turned on the television. I sat on a high slim chair in the kitchen, drinking hot cocoa. There was no wall or division that separated the living room and the kitchen so I could perfectly see what Snowflake was watching.

Drama.

Hating visualized entertainment, I realized that there was pretty much nothing more to do but to pretend like I was attentively observing Father cook when my mind was actually wandering in my own radical world where I was Jash Bagabaldo, a young teenage proxy of the FBI.

One typical afternoon, Jash was doing her homework in History when she was abruptly summoned by Mr. Tan Montenegro, a bogus officer of the institution. Mr. Montenegro was captured by the government for presumed espionage. He then managed to clandestinely'secretly' pass out top secret files to Jash before his imprisonment. His letter to the girl states that the government is oblivious of the real intention of the military under General Garfield Halabuga. There was something suspicious about the spontaneous actions and orders of the General, especially the daily recruits request in South East Asia. Intrigues were aroused but soon forgotten, leaving Mr. Tan’s curiosity to lead him to spy. He then found that the wicked general was planning a worldwide invasion, which the government, being too confident with the leader’s performance, was apparently ignorant of. The files that were sent to Jash were incontrovertible facts that General Halabuga was sheer evil.

It was ridiculous—very ridiculous—I know.

A girl who had entered her teens five years ago would rather fantasize about being inducted in some surreptitious agency than to learn how to concoct a succulent dish which she might actually find practical and useful in future matters? It was a lame plot for a story anyway.

“—and this will serve about...uh...twenty-fi—why, what are you smiling about?” Father snorted with a wrinkle on his forehead asked me in surprise.

...Nothing, Dad...I—I was just—I just remembered something,” I stammered.

“Uh-huh?” Father warily looked at me.

He started to chop some onions. His hand was too quick for my eyes to catch. It reminded me--he was a master chef.

“You know,”--he took glances of glanced at me but the slices were still perfect--“people would unexpectedly turn confused when I found them interrupting me while I was just figuring out the perfect plot for a novel. This sentence is so odd that I don't even know how to correct it

We smiled at each other. Someone who could relate to me at last. We should talk more, but then again—his job!

“Are you writing something?” he inquired. "Is it romance? Adventure? Fantasy?"

Ding! Ding!

“I’ll get it!” Snowflake yelled, breaking up interrupting Father’s interrogation. The next thing we heard were impromptu shrieks of excitement.

“Yuenish!” Snowflake shrieked.

I turned around and gasped at the sight of a young woman. She was gleaming beamingat me. I did not recognize her at first, but then I joined in with the jubilation excitement and followed their wild screams.

“Ellaine?!” I asked, still with a bit of doubtful.

It had been five years since we had seen each other in a comic convention, and that was only an accident. With her occasional e-mails, chats and phone calls with Snowflake, I got updated with what was happening with her.

“Yuenish!” she exclaimed with a more excited smile. She flung herself toward me. “I am so glad to see you again!”

She pushed me away. Holding still onto my arm, her smile faded into a stern expression.

She pointed at me and said, “You should go online more often!”

Snowflake and she laughed as I tried to find an excuse.

“Oh, come on, Lane! You know that the Internet for me is just a source for research.”

“Aww,” she said as she hugged me and my sister, “I missed you guys.”

Ellaine Rhyth was our childhood friend from Snohomish. She was half Latina, half American. With her brown wide eyes and long black curls, mixed with her brains and being good-natured, there was always something to add in to the list of why boys came running after her. Her cheekbone rising above her thick, rosy lips, she had a very charming appeal.

“I am so glad you’re here!” cried Snowflake.

“I am glad, too! And guess what?” Ellaine said, with excitement sparkling in her eyes.

“What?” I innocently asked.

“My auntie and I just moved here into Seattle." She glanced at Snowflake, then me, waiting for reactions—“I’m studying in Seattle University!”

Now that statement stirred up both cheerful and sulky attitudes.

“That’s just great!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, great.” Snowflake retorted with her arms crossed.

“Aww…Snow,” I said to her as I drew her by my side. “You have your Michelle.”

She just bit her lip.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get to visit a bit earlier and be with you guys on your birthday,” Ellaine said.

“It’s ok, Lane. Two days aren’t much that difference, right?” Snowflake answered.

“So,” Ellaine drawled, turning to me. “How’s Cloud Wheeler?”

Snowflake laughed as I felt a slight flush up my cheeks.

“Uh—h—how did you know about—ehem—him?” I stuttered.

She stood up and threw a sofa pillow on me.

“How could you?!” Ellaine put her hands on her waist in mock indignation as snowflake and I laughed. “You just had your first boyfriend and you’re not telling me!”

“Boyfriend?” I asked while looking about if Father was listening. “Could you keep it down?”

“Don’t worry ‘bout your dad, Neesh! He’ll understand. You just turned eighteen! Enjoy your liberty for L-O-V-E!” Ellaine plopped on the couch with Snowflake again.

We all giggled.

“Ok, I am so jealous of you, guys,” Ellaine continued. “Both Chase and Cloud are cute.”

“You’ve seen him?!” I protested. “How?”

I quickly faced Snowflake. I swear my baffled look never left my face.

“Oh, c’mon, Neesh!” Snowflake exclaimed.

“Did you really think that we’d never know how he looks like?” Ellaine butted in. “Puh-lease!”

They laughed and teased me.

"So, tell me, Shine. Anything happened between you and Cloud?" Ellaine sneered.

"What do you mean?" I naively asked back.

"Don't play dumb with us! Spill it out!"

Ding! Ding!

I was saved by the bell--literally.

I paced for the door. I opened it to see a woman with statuesque beauty. Her immaculately designed dark-blue cocktail dress contrasting sharply with her light brown, almost blond hair. A pair of diamond chandeliers dangled down her ears and sparkled on her shoulders, and a black purse glimmered between her hands. The contact between our eyes revealed that there was some familiarity. I had seen her before, but I could not remember when or where.

“Who’s there, Hon?” Dad hollered from the kitchen.

The woman's humble, blue eyes smiled gladly at me. She stretched out a hand.

“Good evening, I’m Theresa Cox.”

When she told me who she was, I remembered: she was a prominent journalist.

"Ah--you're going to interview Father?" I asked.

"Ah--no. I was invited by your father to have dinner tonight."

I was baffled but I told her to come.

What is she doing here?

I just beamed back at her trying to hide that I was confused. But soon enough, I didn't have to fake a smile when she entered with a very young man.

Theresa looked behind me and threw cheerful smiles at the two ladies sitting on the couch. She gazed at me again and began to introduce the man behind her.

“This is my son, Cloud—“

“—Wheeler,” I interrupted.

Cloud pushed himself inside and stood beside me.

The woman smiled at us and asked, “You, guys know each other?”

We both nodded.

“Well that’s good.”

Ellaine and Snowflake were tittering on the sofa, watching me and our guests.

“Wait, what are you doing here?” I whispered to Cloud.

“I should be asking you that question.” He said, perplexed.

“I live here.”

“You what? But my Mom said she wants me to meet her fian—“

"Darwin!" Theresa screamed.

Cloud did not get to finish his words. Theresa swiftly passed by Cloud and I. I turned around to watch her. Father pulled Theresa gently into his arms and kissed her. A lot of deliberation ? started at their seemingly immature behavior. I was scrutinizingly glancing about, trying to pull the pieces together, but nothing seemed to fit. Cloud gaped at the startling scene; Snowflake impassively stared at them; and Ellaine, well, Ellaine was just trying to get along with the crowd.

It was a long pause before I took the guts to break the infelicitous fuss.

“What’s going on?” I asked desperately.

“Tonight,” Dad started; he and Theresa were both smiling quite apprehensively at us, “we have invited our dearest relatives and friends to announce a very special affair.”

“We decided yesterday that we tell our children simultaneously,” the women continued, “that we are engaged and to be married next month.”

No one said a word. I stared at Cloud and soon enough, we were exchanging baffled looks. Ellaine was silent, and Snowflake flounced up from her seat and wore her coat.

“Where are you going?” Dad asked with a raising voice.

"I don't wanna be part of any of the b*llsh*t going on." She exited and slammed the door.

Right. So I'll be frank with you: this has a lot of purple prose in it. That is, you over-describe things to the point at which they don't even make sense anymore. And Yuenish talks like a normal, teenage girl, but then in her thoughts you use such words that I'm getting the impression you wrote with a theasaurus at your side or something. Instead of using normal, simple words that go with the flow of the story, you use other humongous words which would make the reader stop reading and search for their dictionary. Unfortunately, that reminds me of Paolini's work.

Another nitpick is that your story jumps around a lot. In the beginning you switch tenses frequently, and you jump from one time in the story so often as to leave the reader confused. I hardly understood anything going on in the beginning.

Those are really my biggest problems with the story. And because of them, I'm not even sure where the story is going right now. The last part with the surprise announcement was odd, because the newly introduced character seemed flat; we don't know anything about her.

On the plus side, this is supposed to be fantasy. That means with a little work on the above problems, you can turn this right around and get on with a good story. Spelling and grammatically-wise, you're fine. So maybe if you could clear it up a little more, this we'll be even easier to read and more enjoyable to. So good job, and KEEP WRITING!

TIGERSPRITE

P.S. If you have any questions or opinions about this review, feel free to PM me.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies