z

Young Writers Society

Axkhavi - Chapter 1 (EDITED)

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:56 am
Baboon says...

It was ritual. They danced, their swords clashing as the clouds moaned and the rain sliced down. To the gathered tribe the two seemed to become one being, a whirling mass of damp animal skin cloaks and iron. They had been brought up as equal, but he knew he was more. He could feel it by the ice in his heart and the fire in his veins. At this moment, at this precise moment, he was more. The demigods, the spirits, even Axkhavi...they would line up to kiss the ground beneath his feet.

He slew the other there, in the clearing atop the hill, with the tribe gathered for all to see. With his father watching from his deathbed, Xivak slew his own brother, in the clearing atop the hill. This ritual, the first of many, was done.

Ten days earlier

The tribe seemed to act quicker now that he had control of it. His father had operated it as a sluggish, ponderous thing but Xivak was determined to, at least for the first year, allow no slack in the tribe’s movements or actions. They would be thankful for it. Xivak was part of the third generation who had known only the wasteland, but unlike the strange apathy of his father’s generation Xivak’s understood perfectly how harsh and cruel the world they inhabited was. Slow, rolling hills and dusty grasses hid a myriad of disease-ridden animals. An empty hut or cave could easily contain a true monster, one of the spider-folk or a Charmer or a demigod any other of the freaks the spirits had deemed fit to create.

Not all monsters are made by spirits. The thought crossed his mind for a moment as he hesitated, as always, outside his father’s tent. The moons lay still in the night sky. Official control still lay with Xivak’s father, and the old man required Xivak to relay any events of note.

The atmosphere of the room choked him as soon as he entered. His father lay feverish and shrivelled upon the large bed. Sometimes when Xivak entered there were women there with him. They would whisper in his father’s ear and giggle, or rest their head on his shoulder mockingly. Generally they were naked, and almost identical. Their features were too dark to be of Xivak’s tribe. Axkhavi sent them, he was certain of it. There were no women with him tonight.

His father slowly turned his eyes towards Xivak. It seemed wrong to have such cold, cruel eyes staring out of a being so dilapidated. They were a milky blue, the colour darkening towards the pupil. Before old age and illness ravaged him, his face had been brutal. Now though the unforgiving jawline, the jutting chin and the thuggish brow all seemed to be gradually folding and collapsing.

He was still dangerous, though. This man had executed countless enemies before they had even begun to move against him, had sacrificed thousands of demigods to hold hundreds of counsels with the spirits, had clung to power despite the hatred of his own people and had sold everything to Axkhavi.

“Xivak, my wise and dutiful son, I humbly address my deepest, most sincere thanks towards you for deigning to visit your worthless, dying father. I speak to you as a vestige of the past looking towards the hope of the new, and I praise the spirits for granting the tribe such a worthy new leader, and granting me such an honourable son.”

“Vargus, my sage and thoughtful father, I most respectfully disagree. It is I that should be thankful that you have chosen to spend another day with us, rather than begin your eternal counsel with the spirits. I speak to you heavy with the knowledge that when you leave, I shall weep for a thousand days and curse the cruelty of mortality for a thousand nights. I speak to you as your naïve and reluctant successor, fearful for the tribe’s future without you to guide it. I know not what the future clutches in its twisted, blackened hands but I know any disasters will be tenfold worse without such a perfect father and leader as you.”

Vargus’ eyes mocked him as they went through the traditional greeting. There was a brief, tense moment before the ritual ended and he spoke.

“Anything to report, then?”

“Not as such. Kavian tells there’s been a demigod in the Lich-Ruins. To the West.”

“I know where they are. Kavian, though?”

“Captain of one of the scouting parties. I promoted him.”

“Ah.”

His father stared at him coldly for a moment, calculating, before he spoke to him again.

“Will you pursue it, then? The demigod.”

“Yes.”

“We have many already captive, enough for you to counsel successfully with the spirits when the time comes. We do not need another.”

“Neither can we become careless. We may have enough for now, but it is impossible to say how much we will need the spirits in the future.”

“We do not need another.”

“I wish to capture one as a leader rather than a follower, then.”

“So be it.”

Xivak grunted his thanks and quitted the tent, his mind racing and his pulse steadily rising. He turned briefly and paled; for a moment the tent-flap was caught by the wind and billowed open, and Xivak caught sight of a woman with his father. Naked, dark-featured and staring right at him, she smiled mockingly. She must have materialised right out of the dust. A token sent from Axkhavi, to plot with his father.

Already, both Xivak and his father knew they were running out of time.

Hundreds of dimensions away in a dark, colossal maelstrom of spirits and dreams the great black mass of Axkhavi itself, half-formed and shifting in and out of this particular reality, rose slowly. Or maybe it descended. It was impossible to tell. White flashes of spirit either curled around it or were swallowed up. This was Axkhavi’s realm, the spirits here too weak to flee to another dimension.

Utterly lost inside the maelstrom, a new cloud of spirits suddenly exploded into the realm. Perhaps they had narrowly escaped some other Being, or crackled into life in some recent ritual or perhaps simply, suddenly existed.

Axkhavi abruptly stopped moving. The maelstrom slowed and came to a stop also, leaving twinkling shreds hanging motionless as Axkhavi grew darker and more vivid, its attention turning away from other affairs and towards its native realm. Slowly, inevitably it drew this new cloud of spirits towards its main body, surrounding it with a web of thin black tendrils. Thinner tendrils still erupted into the cloud of spirits, skimming and skewering their way through the splinters and shards of thought. Axkhavi searched for one in particular, and among the drifting memories, dreams and ideas that the cloud of spirits was formed of, it found what it was searching for.

And dimly Axkhavi realised, for the first time in millennia, it was threatened.
Last edited by Baboon on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am, I am, I AM..." - Randall Flagg levitating in The Stand

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 pm
Lavvie says...

Hi there Babs. 'Tis Lavvie. Long time no see.

I feel like I've just experience extreme deja vu. But it's probably just me. I did just experience extreme deja vu!

Since I have technically already review the first half of this, I won't concern myself so much with that specific area. With the exception of one or two things:

as they danced with each other's swords

It doesn't make complete sense when it lacks the 'with'.

The demigods, the spirits, even Axkhavi...they would

Alright. No ellipsis. Ellipses are for usually only dialog to indicate a character trailing off in their sentence. Ellipses are not often accepted within prose nor poetry. This is a prime example of a comma splice error in which you have misused an ellipses where you could have instead simply inserted a semi-colon (;). Ellipses are redundant within narration.

Following this small bit of action, everything tends to run downhill at alarming speed. There is nothing really happening - this is no first chapter but merely a prologue. A chapter usually involves some sort of action, be it dull or not. You've incorporated a bit of action possessing minor details. Honestly, even though the information you supply afterwards is probably crucial to the play of the remainder of the novel, it is still tedious to read all. A better way to feed the audience important information is through subtleties, such as dialog between characters and simply just journeying and common sense and hints within the prose. It does provide the majority of the text for this so-called chapter, but instead of writing a textbook about a fantasy land, you are writing a novel. Give us the action! The characters! The events! So far, I know only of a few characters and, basically, I know nothing about them. You must seriously let the audience have the chance to become acquainted with them and then continue with information or do both simultaneously, which is perhaps the more professional option of the three. Instead of suffocating us with an avalanche of fantastical knowledge, do it bit by bit. We can learn things implicitly just as well as we learn them explicitly.

And, before I finish, I forgot one thing:

The clouds moaned and the thunder roared

Clouds don't moan. The closest you could get to using that as personification would be for clouds to thunder. And then that would just be repetition in this case.

I'd like to make it clear that I don't think badly of this. With some tweaking, it definitely could be a suspenseful and riveting fantasy story! It sounds appealing.

Don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:21 pm
Baboon says...

Thanks for the review :D

See what you mean about the avalanche of information. I'll work on that. I was kind of working out how the world works while writing this, which is probably what lead to that :P

Same for the ellipsis, that'll be changed...though I'm stubbornly ignoring the "clouds moaning" for now because I like it :D

Thanks again,
Babs
"I am, I am, I AM..." - Randall Flagg levitating in The Stand

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 am
SirenCymbaline says...

I'm not very good at noticing words and grammar out of place, but I guess I may have a little for this story.

It's a pretty, um, serious kind of story isn't it? Serious is OK, but you may want to add some heart.
I've read novels alot like this, and this is exactly what they lack. They need some love, some drama, some comedy.
A little something special, the trademark of the author. The graffitti on the school desk saying 'so-and-so-was here'
(That was a bad metaphor, but you get it, right?)
So, this is a tribal/desert themed story? Good job, you've fit the description perfectly.
Again, all this needs is feeling. Sorry if this review is as bad as it probably is.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm
AlucardXD says...

I personally think this is a very insightful and detailed story :) It's really good, in my opinion, and there's nothing to improve where grammar and punctuality are concerned, and usually I don't take note of these kind of things but I couldn't help noticing :) Keep up the good work, and I can't wait for more!

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf