z

Young Writers Society

Burning Soul - Chapter 1

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 pm
ElizaWards says...

When I look back on my life, I know I haven't had a normal upbringing. I look at the world and I see people trying to be unique and wanting to put their own print on the world. They don't understand that being normal is something to cherish, something that you shouldn't take for granted. I would give everything that I have got to be normal, just to be able to be a shadow in this world.

The first four years of my life was the closest thing I got to normal, but I don't remember much as you would expect. My first memory is something out of the ordinary; I remember that we just had a power cut, a blackout. We all had gathered together in the living room - like most families do on such occasions.

Granddad and I had the job of lighting the candles around the living room: we were on the last two. I remember thinking he could do magic, he would click his finger and thumb together and the candle would light up. He didn't have to use a match or a lighter, the flame magically appeared.

I was completely amazed and utterly baffled. Wanting to do that same as him, I grabbed my personal white candle and started to click my own fingers.
Click, click, click - Nothing.

I frowned at my Granddad, who smiled kindly down at me. "One day, young Liss, you'll be able to do it." He patted my shoulder and walked over to sit by my Grandma. As he sat down he carried on watching me with an amused expression on his face. I pushed my tongue out, in concentration. Click, click, click - Nothing.
How does he do it? I mused. With all my heart I wanted to do magic just like he could. I picked up his candle and played make-believe.
Click, click... I screamed - from the bottom of my lungs, I screamed so loud that I wondered why glasses and mirrors weren't breaking. My hand was on fire and I didn't know how I did it. My fingers were inches away, not close enough to catch fire.

Out of nowhere, water splashed on to my hand and made a sizzling sound. Steam rose and twirled into the air. I held my burnt hand tightly, scared that if I moved it, it would hurt. My mum rushed over and took me into her arms, hushing reassurances whilst she rocked me back and forth on her lap. Everyone in the room was silent. I looked up and everyone's face was completely and utterly shocked. Except one, Granddad, he just looked at me and grinned.

I looked down at my hand and I was mesmerized, there wasn't a single burn mark there. My fingers tingled but my hand was perfectly fine, except for the faint red glow that surrounded my whole hand. I snuggled into my mother trying to forget about what had just happened.
Last edited by ElizaWards on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 pm
HHemayed says...

Hi there!
Is this just chapter one? It's so so interesting. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest. Please continue writing. :)
I love the plot of the story, it's similar to mine. :D I think your story is really good, but this piece. Well, I think you could add more in the beginning, but I'm no expert, so do as you wish-really. I love it. Keep writing. :D
To be alive is not to breathe, eat or drink. It's your ability to prove your existence.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 am
volleyball13 says...

Love the story.
The first four years of my life was the closest thing I got to normal

I think it would sound better if it were, "The first four years of my life were the closest thing I had to normal." Just a possibility, I would enjoy reading more! :D
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children."
Walt Disney

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 am
Stargirl101 says...

This is really good! Volleyball13 is right though. I think it should be 'The first four years of my life were the closest thing I had to being normal'. Other than that, it is a totally good story. I like the fact that you started from the time the narrator said she lost her normality. Keep it up!
Presence is a curious thing. If you need to prove you’ve got it, probably never had it in the first place. It’s not an ostentatious, adolescent display. It should be something effortless. Somebody once said: ‘The whisper is louder than the shout.’ Well amen to that.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:37 am
hayley10019 says...

Ello!
The first Chapter and I'm already really drawn in! I'm ready to read the rest so please, please continue! And also, if you'd please somehow possibly send me each chapter? If you cannot thats fine, either way it's great.
I have no complaints simply because it really draws me in and I'm ready to read more!
Keep writing because this is amazing!
Writing is where I can get away...

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians