z

Young Writers Society

Book About Pirates Part 2

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 am
DeadEndsAreOptional says...

***I'm sorry but I have currently removed this work from YWS. Due to editing and researching purposes. If you would like to read any of my other stories please go here: member14997.html
Last edited by DeadEndsAreOptional on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:56 am
megsug says...

Hey,
I'm here to review as requested. If you need me to review anything else, I have a link that leads you to my review thread.

This was good. I'm afraid I can't remember everything, but I do remember the basics. I definitely like the idea of Samantha's family going from high to low because of the prince's little tumble into the water. As much as I like an empowered woman, Samantha's view on a woman being unable to rule is great.
Now for my review...

Scanning the crowds of drinking men, and the inappropriately dressed woman,
You don't need the first comma. It's not a list of three or more, and both the men and the women are part of the crowd.

I saw no one of danger. At least none of my new found enemies.
The first period needs to be a comma. The second clause is a fragment.

“You goin’ to o’der?” one of the woman asked.
I've never heard an accent that left the r's out.

I told her, my voice rough from days in the hot sun and not enough water.
No story here? You introduce us to her conditions but don't tell us why she's like this.

She left, leaving me to my thoughts.
I would change either left or leaving. It's repetitous the way it is.

“I’ve done some searching around ¾ like you asked ¾ and found no one in search of a woman to work a board their ship.”
Always write out the number unless it's longer than three words. 15 would be written out like fifteen. One hundred thousand fifty would be written like this: 100,050. Write out three fourths. I don't understand this sentence anyway.

Mr. Chambers stared at me with fierce green eyes.
I'm not really sure what or who Mr. Chambers is. You haven't really told us what he does for a living or said anything about his personality.

“I only needed a ship that would bring me to my homeland.
Why isn't she at her homeland?

It seems that my words have no effect on this vial Mr. Chambers.
Vial is actually vile.

The kingdoms will see that, cause a riot; making her step down from her throne.”
Comma not semicolon.

He explained, tapping his fingers on the table.
“And the next in line is your nephew.” I murmured, mostly to myself.
“You are very smart, Samantha.”
Kind of boring ending. I understand this is a transition chapter, but I would continue this a little farther, so one of them leaves the tavern.

That's what I could find. Your punctuation has gotten much better. I hope the website I gave you helped. I go into a more indepth description, but it's completely up to you. Whatever your style is.
I'll read the next part if you want.
Megsug
Test

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:25 am
View Likes
DeadEndsAreOptional says...

Thank you for the review! It helps a lot. I'll be sure to fix all my mistakes and add some more background story and description. Thanks again for your review!! :D

~DeadEnds
"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy