z

Young Writers Society

Broken But Not Crushed ~Chapter 9

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm
d@ydre@mer27 says...

Chapter 9

Looking down at herself she took in the pitiful sight. Boots, caked with mud and stuffed with newspaper scrounged by Corrie, her torn and filthy dress, the color almost unrecognizeable. Her jacket also stuffed with newspaper was tied about her middle with a scrap of rope to keep it closed. She herself had lost almost forty pounds and was a shell of her former self. Her skin was a ghastly sallow color and stretched tautly over her frail frame. She had very little strength and found it was all she could do to roll out of her bunk in the mornings let alone stand for hours, ankle-deep in mud for roll call. It was an undescribable feeling she felt. Numbing hunger pains and mind-searing weariness that made her forget about everything else around her was the nearest she could come to explaining it.

It seemed ages to Liesabet and the rest of the women before the icy grip of winter finally relinquished it's grasp on the camp and the snow began to melt and trickle away. It was an event they looked forward to even more than mealtime and it was spoken of nearly every day.

To Liesabet's delight, near the wire she found a small sprig of hope in the form of a crocus bud. Just the sight of the little purple blossom amidst all the suffering and anguish around her succeeded in creating a miniature springtime in her own heart, as she felt a small flicker of hope for the first time in months.

Along with spring came new prisoners by the truckloads almost once a week. For Liesabet it was like looking into the past and seeing herself. Scared, unsure of what was to come. Many gaped openly as they were herded by to the showers. They were so healthy and looked so alive, she could not help but to feel jealous.

They were not given a day to themselves as the others had when they arrived and directly after processing, they were put directly to work with the rest of the prisoners. They were relatively useless in their depressed state and Liesabet came to hate them for they merely brought the guards down harder on all of them. In their naievity many asked for rest and water and were swiftly punished with the lick of a whip to their backs.

Despite her feelings about them, Liesabet found herself in the middle of a situation on a stormy day in mid March. The women had completed roll call and been assigned work details when Liesabet snuck away to the latrine. Reaching for the latch on the flimsy door she paused, hearing noises inside. Grunts and coarse laughter followed by a muffled feminine scream for help trickled through the wooden slats. Liesabet froze, unsure.

She decided to investigate though she already had a fairly good idea in her mind of what was happening. Her blood started to boil as she slid through the door and made her way along the wall til she reached the corner. The noises were definitely louder now and could clearly be heard over the raindrops pounding away at the wooden roof. Slowly she peered around the edge of the wall and her heart sank at what she saw.

Two soldiers had a young girl pinned against the wall, one restraining her arms and covering her mouth while the other fumbled with the mismatched buttons holding her dress together. She was a new prisoner and aside from her clothing seemed almost untouched by the brutality of the camp. No wonder they had chosen her. Liesabet's mind raced as she ran over options in her mind. Part of her wanted nothing more to turn and run but the young girl's desperate moans were enough to keep her in place. She couldn't have been more than thirteen or fourteen years old.

Realizing she had to do something quickly, Liesabet made an impulsive decision and blocking all thought of the consequences from her mind, crept around the corner and launched herself at the two men who looked up in obvious surprise at the interruption. The young girl's eyes widened as Liesabet flew into a wild fury; kicking, hitting, biting, whatever she could. In the melee the girl managed to escape and Liesabet found herself alone with the soldiers. They were furious at the skinny malnourished waif before them for ruining their fun. With malice in their eyes they grabbed her by the arms and dragged her from the latrine.

Liesabet thought in that moment that her life was over, they were going to kill her. Instead they hauled her to a post in the center of the compound and lashed her to it. To her mortification they proceeded to tear her clothes from her body leaving her naked flesh exposed. She began to shake violently in absolute terror of what was to come. Adrenaline coursed through her veins and she found her legs barely able to support her own weight. Desperately she seached for an escape though she knew there was none.

Rain continued to pour from the darkened skies and drench her bare skin along with the earth at her feet. The other women who had not been assigned work outside the camp could be seen gathering in clusters at a distance, some watching with sympathy in their eyes while others simply stared dully off into nowhere. This was nothing new to them. Liesabet caught sight of Corrie near the corner of a barrack, wiping tears from her cheeks with the backs of her hands.

With her clothes laying ruined in the mud the beating began. They struck her with their hands, boots, and whips. The pain was excrutiating and uncontrollable screams and yelps tore from deep within Liesabet's chest until she grew hoarse and was confined to mere whimpers.

After nearly ten minutes of torture the men paused and Liesabet collapsed to her knees sobbing in the mud. She wondered why they had stopped only to have her question answered as she could hear off in the distance, the creaking of the front gates swing open. That sound was followed by the roar of a single truck engine as it clawed its way through the sloppy ruts of the dirt road into the camp.

She raised her bleeding face a mere fraction to see more soldiers begin to pour from the truck and head off into separate directions. They were a young, fresh-faced group, with very few of them probably ever even knowing that such a place existed. A few made their way towards the women's compound accompanied by a very tall and stern looking officer who seemed to be in command.

When he had made his way inside and over to where the small crowd had gathered, one of the guards quickly made his way to his side and spoke quietly into his ear. The tall man gave a glance at Liesabet and shrugged his broad shoulders, clearly disinterested in the situation.

And so the beating continued uninterrupted as the officer and his men merely stood to the side and watched. Towards the end Liesabet could no longer even hold her head up and was completely face-down in the mud, nearly unconscious and delirious with the pain. Blood ran from her face and body. She suspected her arm was broken for it hung at an odd angle by her side. Her sides burned intensely with a sharp pain she had never felt before.

When finally at long last they had spent both their strength and their anger, they left her bound to the post, ordering everyone to return to work and not to touch her.She was left alone for hours until dark arrived. The rain had finally stopped and the clouds had parted revealing a clearly defined crescent moon. A brisk wind had set in, only adding another layer to her agony. After a time a guard came along and cut her down, leaving it up to her to figure out how to make it back to her barrack.

Slowly inch by inch she used her good arm to push her aching body to the sitting position, where she then attempted to reach for the tattered remains of her clothing that lay ruined at her side. The stabbing pain in her sides gave her pause and took her breath momentarily. Glancing down for the first time, what she saw shocked her. A deep gash ran from under her arm to halfway down her ribcage. And in the midst of the bleeding wound, a flash of white could be seen protruding forth. She fought to breathe through clenched teeth as she struggled to stand but found the task nearly impossible. The sallow skin around the wounds screamed for mercy as it was stretched taut and any semblance of healing was destroyed. Tears that could not be helped poured from Liesabet's eyes and she bit her lip to keep from screaming.

Turning her head about in the darkness she glanced quickly for signs of anyone nearby as she grappled clumsily with her jacket and tied the jagged halves of cloth that was once her dress about her waist, using her good arm and her teeth to tighten the knot. The rough material was not kind and chafed her battered flesh in the process.

Finally, utilizing the post she managed to stand and braced herself against the splintering wood. The wind rushed past her broken body and tickled her exposed skin, causing her to tremble violently. She felt trickles of warm blood sliding down her legs only to cool rapidly and send shivers down her spine. Wrapping her arms around her emaciated frame, she began the arduous task of returning to her barrack.

Liesabet had made it about half-way there and was nearly ready to collapse when she heard horrible retching sound. Pursuing it through the rows of barracks she discovered the cause in the far corner of the compound. She peered around the edge of a barrack, her heart thudding fiercely in her chest, expecting to see one of the women. But to her surprise it was a soldier. It appeared to be a young man with his back turned to her, as he retched violently into the dirt.

Too afraid to to reveal herself, she remained silent and still in her position. After a time he finally stopped heaving and straightened, wiping his mouth on his sleeve and placing his hands on the barrack wall in front of him. Leaning his weight against it, he put his head down and Liesabet watched as after a moment his shoulders began to shake and she knew that he was weeping.

She had never seen a soldier cry before and certainly not one from the camp. She thought perhaps he missed his family or perhaps a few of them truly did have souls afterall. Whatever the case was he was deeply troubled and as the minutes ticked by Liesabet found herself growing increasingly uncomfortable, almost as if she was intruding on the young man's privacy. She began to turn away but saw him at last attempt to control his emotions by wiping his face and straightening his jacket.
Last edited by d@ydre@mer27 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:15 am
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Day!

Funny, because I meant to PM you about this a day or two ago, and then I completely forgot. Then, yesterday, while I was at work, I thought of it again. And here you are!

Ok, well, for once I actually have something to say. I find very hard to believe that after being beaten to a bloody pulp, all she has is blistered skin and a cracked rib. I'm having a lot of troubles wrapping my mind around the lack of detail, here.

But that was the single issue I had. As usual, this was brilliantly written, and it flowed beautifully.

Nicely done, once again.

Tanya :D

770 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:32 am
borntobeawriter says...

Day!

I found this better - but still not 'perfect' if that makes any sense.

You say that the wind rushed back her broken body - I really want to know how it's broken. Blood, sweat and tears just doesn't cut it for me. I mean, she's been through so much, what's a sprained or broken leg? I mean, they were wearing books and using whips...She should be more than 'pausing to catch a breath' and 'limping' back to the barracks.

Make sense? Well, I'm actually glad for this nitpick of mine: I finally feel worthy of reviewing for you.

Can't wait to read your 10th!

770 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:51 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Much, much better!

It wasn't over the top: it was nicely detailed and quite realistic.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 am
Azila says...

Wow. This is getting really intense.

Though the subject matter is gory and despicable, you write it in a way that is respectful while also getting your point across. It may just be me, but I have this sense that if you write about something so horrible and violent (especially if it's something that happened to real people), then you have a certain obligation to be respectful to your characters. I feel like there is something morally wrong about writing violent or disturbing pieces just for "entertainment." And you handle this really well, I think. I don't feel like you're exploiting the Holocaust, and I definitely don't feel like you are looking for thrills or anything like that. Also, young writers often tend to write violent/mature stories in order to make them seem older, and that really annoys me. But you're not doing that at all. You're including violence because it's impossible to write about that time and not include violence, and you're graphic because it's the most effective way to tell the story. I have a lot of respect for the way you are handling these unpleasant aspects of writing. I know I wouldn't be able to do it with half the skill and grace you are.

You're also doing really well with describing the emotional side of this. In the beginning of the novel, I thought your style was detached--and it still is, a bit--but it works so well for this stuff. I still think the beginning can use work, but that's besides the point. Your descriptions of the hunger and pain and despair are heart-wrenchingly affecting. Also, you talked about new prisoners coming. That's something I was wondering about when I read the last chapter, so I'm glad you're getting to that now. I know you've probably researched this a lot, but did new groups really come that infrequently? For some reason, that doesn't seem realistic to me, but you probably know way more about this than I do, so I'm not going to push the matter.

I liked the bit about the crocus. A lot. I have a very clear, ironic image of one of those classic springtime flowers growing amid the terrible carnage and misery. Do crocuses grow in northern Germany? I guess they probably do, but that would be something to make sure of.

I thought the scene in that latrine was really well done. I'm proud of Liesabet for intervening, because it was such a noble thing to do, but I have to say I'm rather disappointed in the girl who was being harassed for just running away. I mean, Liesabet is obviously more than half-starved, and deathly weak--how did that other girl expect her to fend for herself against two soldiers? I guess she was probably pretty young, and terrified, and maybe her reaction is realistic, but I'm still disappointed in her.

The beating was really well-written. It was hard to read. I wanted to cover my eyes, I wanted to intervene, I wanted to stop it... but of course, I couldn't. I would like to have more of the physical pain, though, I think. If she has a gash in her side so big that her bone is showing through then I think it would be excruciatingly painful, especially for someone who was already so weak. You do a lot of emotional description, but not much physical description. I would like to see more of the description of the pain itself. In fact, if her wound is as bad as you say I would think she'd pass out--or at least be close. Maybe you could show her thoughts getting cloudier and more subconscious through your narrative? Just a suggestion. But think about it--a healthy person would have trouble staying awake while being beaten almost to death, right? And she's already in terrible health (starved and dehydrated and malnourished and hypothermic, at least). She's on the brink of death already, so I think a gash as bad as the one you describe would probably be completely lethal.

That said, I think you described the wound well. And from what Tanya says, you've worked on it a bit to make it more specific. I like that, but if you're going to make it so bad, I think you need to work on making her reaction to it more realistic. For example, I'm pretty sure she would have such low blood sugar and she would have lost so much blood that she wouldn't be able to stand up without fainting. If you hadn't eaten for a day, you might have a bad head-rush when standing up, right? What if you had hardly eaten in months and just been slashed open with boots and whips? I just found it a little unrealistic that she would be able to stand up and watch the soldier after that. Maybe make her wound a little less drastic? The thing is, she wasn't beaten with anything sharper than a whip, so if she has a huge, gaping wound in her side then it's probably really, really bad. The messy cuts made by blunt knives hurt a lot more than the clean cuts made by sharp ones. So basically, from what I can tell, the wound you've described is really quite serious. I suggest you either tone it down a few notches, or make her reaction afterwards a little weaker.

But I am really intrigued by this soldier! For one thing, I think there's something really beautiful about the fact that Liesabet witnessed a soldier having a moment of humanity after what had just been done to her. Seeing him crying is just such a poignant statement--it makes you realize that the soldiers who beat her up probably have weaknesses too... but they have been calloused. It makes me wonder if, when they first got there, they went into an empty barrack and cried silently. So I really liked that moment--it was very powerful. Also, maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling that new soldier is Rory.

Well, we shall see, eh?

I shall get to Chapter 10 as soon as I can!

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind