z

Young Writers Society

Valuable [Prologue-revised]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am
TheAlphaBunny says...

Spoiler! :
Edited version! Woo! Um, still having issues with the flow of this piece. It doesn't really matter if you read the old version before this one, since the original isn't what I want. :P Please enjoy and give me some feedback. ALSO! I hate the name of this story. If anyone has an idea to share, please enlighten me. -__-' Oh, and you should've seen this document on my computer as edited in Word. Heh, so many slash-throughs and three different colors of font in an attempt to edit and organize. It's quite pretty, actually. ;) *edit: a few last minute revisions made after Truth's helpful review. (See below.)

Prologue:
A Lesson in Numerical Value

I learned how to count in a nursing home. First backwards, then forwards. Sitting idly in the home's sunroom among the wrinkled and gray patients slumbering in their chairs, I would watch the numbers above their heads. The white, rectangular cards decorated in black, bold-faced print would flip down from the empty air over their balding scalps, periodically subtracting days or miraculously adding them. To the right of the ever swishing number cards, a longer card reading "DAYS" hung suspended until the old men and women's time had dropped to "MINUTES".

My mother had worked in St. Mary's Home for the Elderly Resting Center in New York City's lower east side, taking tender care over her dying, graying patients in their final months, days, hours. She was an angel of healing-- bright, beautiful and kind. When I was a little over four years old, she had decided neither of us were ready for me to be sent off to pre-school at the neighborhood church, so she compensated by taking me with her to work. Deep down, in my insecure little heart, I always felt strangely guilty and burdensome, though I was her only child and I had never caused much of a problem.

Though her coworkers adored me, and she delighted in showing off her precious son to her fawning patients, I had felt like I was constantly in her way, an incautious cat sneaking slyly underfoot, only to trip its master in an attempt at affection and closeness. This anxiety, this caution made me shy but attentive, obedient but awkward.
Being my mother and knowing my moods, when asked by fellow employees about my abnormally quiet and reclusive demeanor, she had simply deemed me as thoughtful, an old soul inside a young body.

I suppose she was right, in a way, despite how expectedly biased her description for me might have been. I was thoughtful--I still am. My focus was constantly trained inside my own skull, for not a lot of things made sense to me, unsurprising considering how young I had been. I hadn't understood why the death of St. Mary's patients was so surprising at times, or how no one behaved strangely around the elderly whose numbers were dropping ever closer to 0, or why my mother and the other nurses insisted upon wearing makeup to work when most of the people she would be seeing were half-blind anyways. I had attributed these oddities to everyone else being adults and therefore enigmas.

My first memories were of the gray countertop of the front desk, of the too bright overhead lighting that gave everyone a sickly pallor, of the scent of bleach and nut bread and baby powder that all combined to form one atmospheric smell--the scent of old people. The memories were never characteristically pleasant, nor were they traumatizing. They managed to float somewhere in the middle ground, dull without being torturous.

The only reasons I never put up a fuss when my mom roused me from sleep early on the weekday mornings as she was curling her hair or applying red lipstick were the prospect of listening to the old tell their life's stories and observing the switching of the cards.

When we would enter the doors of the nursing home, either fully bundled in itchy, winter attire or outfitted in relaxed, warm weather cottons depending upon what point in my past I'm recalling, I snuck off around the front desk, down the central hall and into the sunroom. My mother knew I was still in the building, not getting into trouble and behaving oddly un-childlike, so she never worried when I disappeared in the mornings. She would clock in, retrieve her daily assignments, room numbers and such, and go about her job with the most delicate of grace, a smile on her red painted lips.

Inside the sunroom, where the elderly were situated in their chairs, wrapped in blankets and drooling and snoring in their sleep, I would curl up on the worn carpet and watch. The sagging of their pale, fleshy faces, the fluttering of eyelids, the gaping mouths and the steady rise and fall of fragile breasts. Someone's feet would twitch inside their stockings or someone would choke on saliva, stutter, then return to semi-motionless slumber.

But their rest was never entirely peaceful. Always floating above their balding scalps, the number cards would flip down: ten, nine, eight...

At the nursing home, I learned how to count. Backwards first, then forwards.

The cards--small, rectangular and white with black, bold-faced numbers--would swish and click as they fell into place, smaller numbers replacing their greater-valued predecessors. To the right of the row of cards--the number of digits varying depending on the quantity of place values--a longer card reading "DAYS" hung, motionless beside its ever moving companions. I would watch the cards for hours, learning that two comes before three, three before four, four before five, and so on. It was as much entertainment as a child in a nursing home could ask for.

On days when it was too chilly to be in the sunroom, I would park beside the bed of a patient inside his room, listening to the gravely or whispery voice of the ancient being as he related his life's stories to me. I learned more than numbers at St. Mary's. I learned about the wars, about money and love and people on the opposite side of the planet. It was difficult to wrap my naive mind around the macrocosm of the adult world at times, but more than anything I enjoyed hearing the elderly speak.

The rooms were always the same pale beige, the beds dressed in pale pinks and white, glasses of water on bedside tables, liver-spotted hands curled around the edges of sheets. All my early memories resembled each other. There was little variation in the routine, little change of scenery or color.

As more time passed, and I emerged somewhat from my fragile shell, I thought less about my mother and the employees and more about the patients, growing to appreciate as much as a self-absorbed child could the delicate intricacies of life.

I had witnessed miracles in numbers. The passing of lives counted above their heads like the tally marks of God; the extra, invaluable time added on to the remaining days.

One woman--a particularly sweet old lady with a cloud of fluffy white hair that reminded me of candy-floss at the carnival and seemed light enough to float up off her scalp in a breeze--was marked with ten days remaining. I overheard her telling a nurse her grandson was getting married in two weeks. She was overjoyed, for she loved the girl and thought they would be a handsome couple, but she was afraid she would be unable to attend the wedding ceremony due to her poor health. She was more correct than she could have imagined.

But low and behold, just as the guilt at my knowledge of her impending death was beginning to weigh on me like a sack of flour tossed onto my bony back, the numbers above her head flipped rapidly with a sound like flapping pigeon wings. From "1 0 DAYS" to "3 2 DAYS" the cards then read.

She had told the nurses the wedding was beautiful.

I had been only a child when this all happened: experiencing death alongside the dying. It was a heavy burden to bear, but I figured--even at so young an age--if someone had to do it, it might as well have been me. I had been incredibly selfless that way.

My mom had worked five days out of the week and I accompanied her when I was not attending my half-day's worth of public education three out of those five days. That had been life for me. Not much happened in my early years. At least nothing worth detailed recollection.

Until I told her about the number cards.

I remember the day clearly and with no little amount of regret. I still dream about that night sometimes, even here, miles away from the home in which I had grown up, reliving the moment I gained a limited understanding that what I could do, what I could see, was not common or accepted or something I should ever share with anyone. That evening shaped my life, and I can't still decide if it was for the better.

My mother and I had been walking home one evening, the sun was beginning its descent behind the treetops, silhouetting the arching trees and elongating the shadows, and the weather was pleasant and warm, for it was late summer. I held her hand and watched my feet; I was a clumsy little kid. I could smell her perfume mingle with the heady scents of summer--roses, freshly cut grass, sweat. Her manufactured scent was a comforting smell, one that whenever I would catch a whiff later in my life, I was sent reeling back into my childhood, headfirst. Chanel No. 5, I'd eventually note. She had always worn it.

Her wavy, yellow hair caught the setting sun, and her warm, open face was framed by a halo of red and yellow light. I stole glances at her, looking back at the cracked concrete under my shoes so I wouldn't trip.

"So, how was your day, Phonsie?" she asked me, addressing me by the nickname I usually frowned upon seeing as I was no baby but a growing boy of six years. But I was in a very good mood, so I said nothing.

Normally, I would have replied with a vaguely satisfying answer, then ask her of her own day, being much more interested in her wellbeing than my own. But today was different. I had something truly important on my mind. Interesting. The number cards had seemed even more present than usual, more real, and I was beginning to wonder, Does everyone else see them, too?

I had to ask.

And then I did asked, and when the words left my mouth, Do you know when people are going to die? she had just looked at me strangely, her brown eyes too dark.

She batted her eyelashes in confusion, then put on her best motherly-concern expression before asking me to elaborate.

"Do you see cards," I began, trying to be more precise in what I was asking, but her expression instilled an unfamiliar anxiety inside my small chest, and I felt very unsure of whether or not I should be talking about this. "Over people's heads," I finished in a tiny voice, and I worried my lip between my baby teeth.

My mother blinked once, the dark look passed, and she pressed her lips into a tense line. Grabbing my hand into hers, she started walking a little faster, a little too fast for my taste, and I suddenly felt like a sideshow attraction or a fish out of water or a Communist. I knew then, in a brilliant moment of clarity, not everyone saw the cards with the numbers. Actually, I was almost certain in that moment of clarity that no one saw the cards. Mother did not approach the subject at the dinner table that evening, and I certainly didn't. It was better for us to remain silent and eat our green beans and pretend that nothing had changed and that I wasn't some freak having hallucinations. I had cleared my plate of my dinner, knowing it was expected and polite to do so, but I don't remember ever tasting the food. Bitterness had seemed to numb my tongue.

The cards never left, though, no matter how little charm they held for me now that my pristine little world of wonder had been shattered by doubt and dread. Slowly, I developed the ability to all but erase their visibility from my line of sight, just ghostly traces of black numbers floating in my peripheral vision. I was fine without the numbers, I figured. I could count very well by that point, and school would be starting, and I would make great friends that didn't see things, so I could safely hide behind their normalcy. But first grade passed, and the elderly passed, and time passed, too. Before long, there were just some cards that not even I, Alphonse Harper of the Magical Ignore-It-And-It-Isn't-There Ability, could ignore.

My mother's cards.

No miracle would save her like the one that saved the old woman with the cloud of white, candy-floss hair. She'd witness no wedding of mine or my of grandkids' and be able to tell the nurse how beautiful it all was. She wouldn't grow gray and she wouldn't whisper stories of her half-forgotten and half-imagined youth. She wouldn't ever really know how much I loved her nor how much I wanted her to understand what I saw hanging above her head like the suspended blade of a guillotine.

She wouldn't live to bake me a cake for my eighth birthday.
Last edited by TheAlphaBunny on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 am
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

Hello there :)
Truth here for a review!

Alright, first thought... this looks long.
On with nitpicks, I'll correct and suggest as I go.

Though her coworkers adored me, and she delighted in showing me off, comma her precious son to her fawning patients, I had felt like I was constantly in her way, an incautious cat sneaking slyly underfoot, only to trip its master in an attempt at affection and closeness.

I hadn't understood why the death of St. Mary's patients were so surprising at times, or how no one behaved strangely around the elderly whose numbers were dropping ever closer to 0, or why my mother and the other nurses insisted upon wearing makeup to work when most of the people she would be seeing were half-blind anyways.

I still dream about that night sometimes, even here, comma miles away from the home in which I had grown up, reliving the moment I gained a limited understanding that what I could do, what I could see, was not common or accepted or something I should ever share with anyone. That evening shaped my life, and I still couldn't decide if it was for the better.

Switch those like this, it sounds better.

Overall, wow, this is great. Your style of writing is absolutely beautiful. The imagery, the description, the narration, the flow, it looks perfect to me. Plus, there's close to no mistakes at all, so thank you for this! The plot looks very promising for now, I'm curious of where you are going with this. PM me when you've got more out :)
Keep on writing!

-Truth-
.- <3 -.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:45 am
Shearwater says...

Oy, Alpha! I are here for to do this review for you.
I'm sorry that it's taken me a bit of time to get to this and I also apologize for not replying to your PM yet. It's just that...gosh, there's just so much to say! >.< However, I feel like I'll let you know my thoughts on everything in this review instead of giving you a reply to that PM since well...you kind of already went and rewrote this, right? lol Now, let's drop this little chit-chat and go straight to the real review before I being to ramble about power rangers. :3

okay, let's start with the introduction. Before your introduction was good and it still is now. I'm not sure how much it's changed but I'm going to tell you it's nice anyways. However, I felt it was a bit too wordy for an introduction. You don't want to bore the readers with long worded sentences and over describe little things off the bat. I think if you could somehow simplify it a bit you could make it feel more 'welcoming'. I like heavy description when it's more prosy and hybrid-iee or something but I find short stories to read better than novels in that case. Anyway, in the end if you could just make it less wordy somehow, I think the introduction will be much better. ^__^

As far as I know, I noticed a few things that been taken out/ replaced and cut down which is nice. I feel like it's ten times less informative as a prologue and does a better job...doing it's job. :/ Now, I still felt like there were times where you described the character too much and went back to 'telling' rather than 'showing'. This was probably a main problem when it came to your narrative voice which seemed to reminisce about these times back at the old folk's home or whatever. You seemed to tell us about everything, how life was, how mom was, how this was and how he (as in the protagonist) was which is the reason I probably feel like it's so far away and 'telly'. For a solution, I'm not sure exactly what can be done here since the character is reviving the past for this part of the novel. As an alternative, which you don't necessarily have to do but you could try playing around with it, would be to taking down this narrative dominance and try reviving the scenes from his perspective as a child, yes? I think you did this in the last part but it wasn't very powerful so it was pushed aside. I dunno if you know what I'm talking about it but yeah...It's like, more *insert hand gestures here* alive! xD PM me if you're confused about this part of the review. I'll try to explain it better. =^.^=
The only reasons I never put up a fuss when my mom roused me from sleep early on the weekday mornings as she was curling her hair or applying red lipstick were the prospect of listening to the old tell their life's stories and observing the switching of the cards.

Quite the long descriptive sentence, no? If this is how you really like writing then I have no right to tell you to stop. I just thought that maybe you should try cutting this down and possibly separating the actions in half somehow. It's something I noticed and thought I should point out. :3

I'm not going to make this review a totally long one with heavy blocks of text so I'll stop with one last thing. Compliments. Yes, I bet you were waiting for this, no? Well, wait no longer dear, they're here! First of all, I love the way you word your descriptions and actions and such and such. I mean, its feels very interesting to read and even if I have a bit of a distaste for wordy novels I think I would love to read yours. Which is why I ask you if you post another chapter of this or something to pm me about it because I want to know what happens to this character and what journey lies ahead for our hero. xD Another thing, the plot so far (even though it's not much) is wonderful and does wonders at grasping my attention which is quite hard to catch, so big points for that. ^.^

As for the difference that this prologue as against the first written prologue is that this one is shorter, less info-dumpy and easier to read and less intimidating for readers. Those, in my opinion, would be good points. As for the negatives, it's still slightly over-descriptive in a few parts but as I mentioned, if that's what you like then it's totally okay. Besides that, I thought it was still slightly 'telly'. Now, no piece can be considered perfect because every now and then it can still be improved in some way and there's something to keep in mind while writing, sometimes it's the imperfections that make a piece perfect (Like, what about the Mona Lisa? I mean, its not perfect either) so don't feel like just because I stated some 'but this and but that' in this review doesn't mean it's not good. Keep writing and if you have anything you want to say or add, shoot me a PM.

God, I was trying to make this a short review but apparently, I couldn't even accomplish that much. >.>
*punches self* Hopefully this helped though!

All the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 pm
carbonCore says...

I recently had a pet betta fish named Alphonso. He died a few weeks ago. No date/time cards warned me of his passing, though. :(

Anyway, that aside, on to business. I'll have to disagree with Pink in that the text is too thick with description. The description's present, of course, and there's quite a large amount of it and other text - but none of it is "extra". Absolutely not. Your style is good enough to pull off any amount of description. When I was reading the story, I read it in one breath - I never needed to go back and re-read something, I never had to stop and think about something, I just kind of rolled along, hungry for more. That is a very, very good sign.

The fact that the child grew up in such a strange place, the nursery home with all the people dying around him, is a definite plus for the creativity aspect of your story. It was interesting to see him react to people's deaths (or rather, see him not react), and it's very much expected that a person who would grow up to see people dying around him all the time would be callous to death. This makes him an interesting character to follow through adulthood, especially if your story will contain other deaths (which, seeing as knowing when someone is going to die is one of the more central themes to your story, it more than likely will).

All of the characters, including the POV one, felt human and relatable. Again, very good. It's always much more of a pleasure to read a story with people rather than emotionless robots - and your characters are nothing but people. Well, I'm not so sure about Alphonso. ;) Anyway, good sign for the novel that is to come after this prologue.

Speaking of prologues - I won't hide my opinion of them, but yours is special. It reads like a full story. Sure, it's more than conceivable that there will be more to come - but unlike other fragmented chunks of text, here we've got something that can stand on its own, without anything more to come. A pleasure to read.

I had a grand total of one issue with this piece, and that's the format in which Alphonso sees people's death count. I'm not talking about whether he sees them in Times New Roman versus Comic Sans, of course, but rather the fact that there's a "DAYS" and "HOURS" and "MINUTES" labels (well, I haven't seen an HOURS label, but it'd be conceivable that they'd be there). That feels way too artificial. Like someone implanted a little microchip into his brain that let him see when other people will pass away. It doesn't feel at all like a feeling that he developed on his own. If there's a reason for this choice, by all means, go for it. If I were writing the story, I would make the days appear like big numbers - then, when it's the person's last day of life, the numbers would shrink somewhat and Alphonso would know that those are now hours... at the last hour, they'd shrink again and turn to minutes. As you have it set up now, well, how would he read "DAYS" before he could, you know, read? Did they just appear as weird symbols to him, or did he still somehow understand what the words meant before he could actually read them? That's the only thing I can think of. Also, here's a totally unrelated image from a totally unrelated show.

As for the piece's name... well, I'm not going to go for the obvious, so, based on my limited knowledge of your novel, I'll suggest "Inevitable", "Unwritten", and "Deathspan" (see what I did there?). Still, I don't know what will happen later on, so I'm just basing my names off the death-count mechanic. Hope I helped!

Your servant,
cC
_

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 pm
Searria H. says...

Hello, Bunny dear!
This was a very different piece for you but no less fantastic. :) Even though Alphonse has this supernatural ability, he seems very natural. By that I mean that you don't present him with this "my character is magical and tough and unrealistically charismatic!" tone (not that you ever do.) ;) You've given him a very vulnerable personality, if that makes sense. With the mother's characterization, I would like to see more showing than telling. You tell us that she's gentle, kind, etc. but we don't really see any interaction that we can make those judgements for ourselves.
In terms of description, I agree with both Carbon and Pink in a way. I don't think you have too much description, but the description you have is a little bogged down with adjectives. I was much more captivated by you similes than your lists of adjectives. I wouldn't add any more similes, though, because the ones you have would lose their power. :)

Time for nitpicks and specific praise!
I learned how to count in a nursing home.

I love this hook! *bows* Wonderful job.
hung suspended until the old men and women's time had dropped to "MINUTES".

The flow of this phrase felt awkward to me. If you want to keep it, I think you need to make "men" possessive as well. However, I would change that to a collective term like "patients" or "their."

Deep down,You don't need this comma in my insecure little heart, I always felt strangely guilty and burdensome, though I was her only child, and I had never caused much of a problem.

why my mother and the other nurses insisted upon wearing makeup to work when most of the people she would be seeing were half-blind anyways.

:D

I think you might have too much in this sentence. I read the beginning and found myself skimming over the part about his mom to find out the two reasons. I would reword it to make those things closer together, if that makes sense.

itchy, winter attire or outfitted in relaxed, warm weather cottons

Personally, I would cut down on the adjectives in the sentence. I would omit "relaxed," I think. :)
I would curl up on the worn carpet and watch.

The term "curl up" makes me think he's lying on his side with his knees tucked to his chest. I'm not sure he could really see the old people and their cards from such a steep angle. :3 Then again, I've never tried it. ;)

At the nursing home, I learned how to count. Backwards first, then forwards.

The cards--small, rectangular and white with black, bold-faced numbers--would swish and click as they fell into place

Although you probably need this to get back to a previous idea, it just seemed a little redundant and unnecessary to me. You have already described the white cards with black numbers. And though you did slightly change the wording from the first time you said it, I wouldn't repeat that he learned to count backwards and then forwards. That's just me, though. I think the information in the following paragraph about him learning to count is sufficient. :)

I would watch the cards for hours, learning that two comes before three, three before four, four before five, and so on.

I had a thought about this. If I were his age and watched the cards flip, I would assume that two comes after three and three comes after four, since they are presented to him in that way. I've made explanations in my head of how he knows, but I tend to over-analyse. :D It's just a thought, though. :)

I would park beside the bed of a patient

I know what you mean, but I think "park" by itself gives the wrong image. I would say "park myself" or something. Otherwise, it makes me think that he's playing with one of the nursing home wheelchairs. ;)

She had told the nurses the wedding was beautiful.

I absolutely love how you did this. :)
She wouldn't ever really know how much I loved her

I think you could omit this, but you know how I am about love-y stuff. ;) I admit, I have some of it in my own writing. *slaps self*

Overall, I think you really pulled this off. I think you need to leave this for a couple of weeks and then read it again. Look at how much you repeat ideas and consider if those help or hurt the overall style. In general, it flowed really nicely and your transitions were well placed.
If you have any questions, I'm dirt easy to find. ;) Best wishes for your writing!
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare