z

Young Writers Society

Heavensent

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:02 pm
Stori says...

Ms. Crandall addressed her students in her resonant voice. "Today we will be studying literature. Please open to-"

A cheerful male tone interrupted. "Is this the Canterbury Female Academy? I have a new student!"

Contrary to the class's expectations, Mrs. Crandall did not lose her composure. Indeed, a small smile tugged at her lips. "Jacob. Please come in."

With a respectful nod, he entered. Students whispered and nudged each other. They laughed even harder when, instead of a girl, a large black-and-tan dog entered the room.

"I never knew you to play practical jokes, Jacob."

Jacob smiled- which caused quite a few whispers. "No, ma'am. Solace insisted on coming in."

As the students patted Solace, their teacher's attention was caught by a movement at the door.
A slight figure stood backlit, one hand on the knob. Dark skin seemed almost a heresy in this sanctum of white culture.
Last edited by Stori on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 am
Sunshine says...

This is ,bluntly, to short. My suggestions:

~Go on with what happens with the figure. This piece could use a little more charecterization.

~ Describe the settings, it's boring without them. They help a lot.

~Longer. I cannot stress this enough.

~Describe everything. In a story like this we need to know this stuff. How old is Ms.Crandall? How many girls are in the room? How does Ms.Crandall know Jacob? Stuff like that makes a funner read.

~Are you cotinueing this? If not, more charecterization and more description.

Lastly, my corrections.

As the students patted Solace, their teacher's attention was caught by a movement at the door. A slight figure stood backlit,a hand on the knob.

Keep writing1
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

Random avatar

Reviews: 19
Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm
annapapadimitriou123 says...

that was really interesting and i wanted to keep reading but then i looked at the title and it seemed to have some substance. nice work, it drew me but keep writing it!! i want to read more! whos the figure?
Stori wrote:As the students patted Solace, their teacher's attention was caught by a movement at the door. A slight figure stood backlit, on hand on the knob.

I want to know more!!

!
Stori wrote:Mrs. Crandall did not lose her composure. Indeed, a small smile tugged at her lips. "Jacob. Please come in."

Great use of name, I like Mrs. Crandall. and also really good description.
Keep it going though
God bless
Anna

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:19 am
ballerina13 says...

This was very short and vague.It did not seem to tell us anything about the story. Describe things, people, the room, the dog, why is he called Solace? Who is Jacob? It also seemed to jump around. It was hard to tell what was going on. It is, again, very short to review. But keep continuing it. Please. I want to read more!
Got YWS?
"No one can arrive from being talented alone,work transform talent into genius" - Anna Pavlova

If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner