z

Young Writers Society

Seeing Vertigo- Chapter 1

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 am
TheCodex says...

Hello! This is the first installment (chapter) of my first novel here on YWS. It's a work in progress- I'll be updating every week if I can.

Please, please review! I would love your help on anything in this story. Compliments, questions, and criticism welcome- but please, be kind. Thank you!

On with the story.....

A small town in the American Old West, in the 1870's.
Chapter 1

Usually, Everett Owens would enjoy the sunset. The great, Western sunset. It was legend around here. Nothing in the skyline but rock. The parade of colors would be coming soon, as if the sky was painted by God’s brush itself.

However, today wasn’t by definition, a ‘usual’ day for Everett Owens. Settling down for the night on nothing but the rocky ground was usual. Settling down for the night with your grave dug for you just a few yards away wasn’t.

He sat on a crate, foot tapping nervously. Everett, those nervous ticks’ll get the best of you one day, his Father used to say. But he couldn’t help it. Everett was full of nervous energy. The promise of death at first light did that to you.

“Alright, Ladies. There’s yer beds.” Joe Lee, the warden and their watchmen, had said, gesturing to the freshly dug graves near the tree. “I want a clean night, ya hear? We’ll have Mr. Williams a nice hanging tomorrow. Getting you law breaking scum off his land’ll do him proud.”

Law breaking scum. The words made Everett blink rapidly. He wasn’t scum. He just wasn’t. The lot of the group here probably were. He had committed no crimes. None at all. The justice system around here wasn’t kind.

And they deserve it. That’s what he used to think, anyway. A lot of things were different now. He was 17 now. A man by most people’s standards. And people would look on, if there were any here at the moment besides Joe and the rest of the doomed, and say, what’s a young man like that doing in line for the rope? Probably got himself in a whole mess of trouble. That’s the heat out here. It’ll turn a perfectly good man against his morals another would say. But Everett had his morals. He had them in his Bible too, before he lost that. In any case, he was sitting here, watching the sunset with a bunch of law breakers and outlaws. Wonderful company for a young man.

There was no conceivable way out of this mess, as far as he could see. And Everett was a smart boy. He could read and write and figure things out. “Logic Owens” was what they used to call him.
"You’ve got the brains, kid, you’ll do alright. ‘Cuz you can use your head. That’s more than I can say for most boys out here." That’s the last thing that Ed Winchester had said to him before he went off to go into ranching. Good old Ed. He hadn’t heard head or tail of him since then.

In any case, things were looking bleak even for Everett and all his supposed logic. There were two guards, Joe Lee and another man he didn’t know. They were vigilant, and more importantly, armed. Guns. Everett shuddered.

Plus, how far could you get, even if you got past the guns, on foot? The stables were guarded at night. If you ran with just the shirt on your back, you’d die of thirst, or be scalped by Indians. He wasn’t sure of the last one. He’d only seen an Indian once. They didn’t seem to keen on scalping. But they did have guns. Guns and bows. In any case, he wouldn’t want to come face to face with a rogue band of them in the middle of the night. He didn’t think they’d take too kindly.

So he sat, on the empty crate, tapping his foot in his good old boots nervously, kicking up a small cloud of dust with every tap. The other guys here looked bad. Angry. Sullen. Bowlegged. Most were sitting around, hats off, staring at the dirt, looking grim. Everett pushed a hand nervously through his dirty, shaggy dark hair. He even looked like an outlaw, he thought, rubbing his chin where there was a bit of stubble. Minus the hat. He’d lost that when he’d lost his Bible.

So now all he had was his shirt, boots, pants and vest. He was used to being hot in the day and cold at night. Tonight was just setting in and he was shivering. Maybe that was the fear talking.

His constantly moving gaze landed on that man. The strange one. The one everyone noticed as strange, even around here, from first glance. He looked to be somewhere not far from twenty and five, in a nice set of trousers and vest, clean shirt and hat. The only part of him that looked outlaw-like was his hair, which was dark, down to his shoulders and curly, and his boots, which were well worn, but still fine looking. He even looked somewhat shaved.

And he was lying in his dug grave, smoking. Just smoking. Like there wasn’t a care in the world. His hat sat on his chest, his grave just two yards or so from Everett’s crate with the rest of the pits. Everett couldn’t fathom this man. Why did he look like it was just another night in the desert? Why was his clothing so new?

“What’s your deal?” Everett finally hissed. He couldn’t take it anymore. Confusion, fear and the feeling that he was a victim of a gruesome injustice boiled under his skin, mixed with that large helping of nervous energy. That was what brought on the usual verbal attack.

“You talking to me?” the man said, not even batting a lash. He’d put away his tobacco, and put his hat on top of his face.

Everett paused. What he said was impulsive. Rash. He wasn’t prepared for a reply. He didn’t know what to say, and more importantly, he didn’t know weather getting on this man’s bad side.

“Um... yes.” he said finally.

“What’s your deal, kid?”

Again Everett was quiet. The man spoke again.

“Come over here. Get up. Let me tell you something.” he commanded in the same cool, quiet tone, thick with an accent that seemed elegant and rough at the same time.

Everett didn’t know why did it. Maybe he hadn’t talked to a serious adult in a while. Maybe the outlaw was intimidating. But he did. He went over, paused and crouched down next to the man’s grave/bed.

“Ya there?” the man asked.

“Yeah.”

“What’s yer name, kid?”

Everett again paused. It wasn’t like he didn’t have anything to lose.

“Everett Owens. Everett Jacob Owens. Who are you?”

“Name’s Julian Vertigo. Now, answer this question. Do you want to get out of here?”

The man’s name caught Everett off guard. But not as much what he said.

“Of course.” Everett choked out. “How are you planning to do that?”

“Good. Get back to me in an hour.” Julian Vertigo said, not answering the question, and fell silent.

“What?”

Vertigo pushed his hat above his brow and flicked his gaze to Everett.

“You’re younger than I expected.” he said gruffly. “I said, get back to me in an hour. I’ll get ya out of here.”

“How are you going to do that?” Everett asked again, a bit louder than he meant to.

“Shush!”

The warden and the other guard were talking, and the crackle of the fire made a noise too. The sun was almost set, the sky almost all the way dark. Everett kicked himself for not being more quiet.

“I’ve got my ways.” Vertigo said, pressing his palms together under his lip like he was praying. Everett highly doubted this man every prayed to anyone. Vertigo looked up at the sky like a man just checking the weather. “I’ll give you a clue. Lee, the warden, he’s deaf in one ear. Doesn’t want anyone to know, but he is.”

“Really?” Everett looked up at the older man, talking to the other warden.

“True as rain.” Vertigo said, the corner of his mouth flicking up. “And the other warden’s gonna be asleep in an hour or so.”

“How’d you know that?”

“He was guarding the jail last night, y’know, when they brought in most of this stock.” he referred to the other prisoners. Didn’t get a wink o’ sleep. I listen, kid. Plus, I’ve been in these types of messes since you before you were growing whiskers.”

Everett was intrigued by this Julian Vertigo and his observances.

“An hour, kid. Don’t fall asleep.” And with that, Vertigo put his hat back on his face and didn’t move.

Everett stood up, looking over at Joe Lee and the other guard who were still in conversation. He brushed off his pants and sat back down on his crate, resting his chin in his hands, and looking at the full moon just rising in the sky. He waited.

End of Chapter 1

I'll post more next week!
So, what did you think? Please, let me know! Feedback is love. :D
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am
FutureFamousWriter says...

i love historical stories because i love imagining myself in the past. and the image you create in my head made me feel like i was apart of your story. One thing you made a mistake on is that instead of writing "Whether" you write "Weather." I actually think the sentence is incomplete and urge you to read it again and revise it. With all your stories, I urge you to read it all out loud or to yourself so that you can catch any typos or mistakes. Overall, a great, entertaining chapter, that creates a excellent image in my head. Thank You! Keep Writing!

FutureFamousWriter (:

P.S. Welcome to the Young Writers Society!

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Fizz says...

The opening is so so good. You set up where (and sort of when) the story is set, which really took my attention away so when you mentioned the grave it was really...cinematic? It was like you'd put in an opening shot of sunset and some nice western music in the background, and then you cut to men sitting around next to freshly dug graves. It's awesome.

Plus, how far could you get, even if you got past the guns, on foot?

This is a bit of messy sentence. Maybe you could try 'Plus, even if you got past the guns, how far could you get on foot?'

So he sat, on the empty crate, tapping his foot in his good old boots nervously,

The first comma is unnecessary here. Actually the first two are unnecessary.

Overall I really like it. I'm actually quite interested as to where it's going, and I think you set it up so beautifully.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 am
Payne says...

I generally don't read Westerns, but I saw the second chapter of this somewhere and the title really got me interested.
I'm really glad I decided to find the first chapter and read it.

Settling down for the night on nothing but the rocky ground was usual. Settling down for the night with your grave dug for you just a few yards away wasn’t. [This is an excellent hook. Immediately, the reader demands to know WHY he is settling down by his own grave.]

Everett, those nervous ticks’ll get the best of you one day, [This should be 'tic.']

He didn’t know what to say, and more importantly, he didn’t know weather getting on this man’s bad side. [As FutureFamousWriter said, this sentence seems incomplete, and 'weather' should be 'whether.']

“Um... yes.” he said finally. [I used to do this a lot. The period after 'yes' should actually be a comma, since a speech-tag ('he said') is used after the dialogue.]

Everett didn’t know why did it. [I think you're missing a word there...]

He went over, paused and crouched down next to the man’s grave/bed. [The slash seems off here. Consider finding a way to omit it.]

Everett highly doubted this man every ever prayed to anyone.

Didn’t get a wink o’ sleep. I listen, kid. Plus, I’ve been in these types of messes since you before you were growing whiskers.” [There should be an opening quotation mark at the beginning of this.]

Your dialogue is fantastic. Not forced, not hokey. The differences in the way Julian and Everett speak are great indicators of their personalities. It really gives the reader a better idea of who they are.
They all seem very realistic. Even the men you refer to in passing (angry, sullen, bowlegged) stand out with great clarity. I agree with Fizz; it seems very cinematic. I sometimes have trouble visualizing scenes in stories, but I can see this setting perfectly.

Your overall story flow could use a bit of polishing, and there were a few punctuation errors. However, it's a very interesting story, and you have raised just enough questions to make me want to read on.
Keep up the good work!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women