z

Young Writers Society

Perfectly Flawed: Prologue

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 am
CER1553 says...

The girl let out a high-pitched screech as she felt a splash of watter hit her bare back. Pausing in the ankle deep sandy shore, she whipped her body around towards the fading sun to find the culprit. She smiled as she began to chase the shirtless boy responsible for her now dripping wet body; as she caught hold of him she sprung onto his back wrapping her long legs around his toned waist. The sudden addition weight brought not only the boy, but also the beautiful girl that clung to his back, down into the cool, early-evening water. He reached around to where the girl still clung to him, finding her waist, he pried her off his back, managing to somehow at the same time slide her delicately onto the shallow sandy water. She smiled shyly as she let the water lap at her sides, the boy gingerly leaned over her as their lips met.
Being her last night in Cape Cod before she packed her bags for Rhode Island, she couldn’t be more content to spend every moment possible with her boyfriend. A mere hundred or so feet up the beach, the girl’s closest friends and family sat around a bonfire in her yard. Cape Cod was where she wanted to spend her summer; she wanted to spend every night cuddling with her boyfriend, and everyday tanning with her best friend. She wanted to reconnect with her sister after being separated for so long while her sister was away at college. Although she could not begin to describe the excited feeling inside her every time she remembered that she was finally seeing her mom, she couldn’t help but feel sadness towards leaving her life behind all summer. There was so much she knew she could miss.
“Marshall,” she said pulling away from him, “we gotta go back up.”
He rolled away from her slowly and stood up, reaching a hand down to pull her up also. As they made their way up the beach, he pulled her into him and placed an arm around her waist, “I’m gonna miss you, Rubi.”
She leaned into his strong body, “I’m gonna miss you so much more.”
They continue to walk in silence for a moment and she took the chance to look towards the sunset. She was going to miss Marshall so much. They’d been dating for just over six months now; she felt so safe and close with him, as if he truly respected her. She loved everything about him: his short dark brown hair that stood up on his head, his hazel brown eyes that always settled on her, his tall, strong frame that held her so nicely. Of course most of all, she loved the way he cared for her; he’d do anything for her and she loved the security.
As they slowly ambled up the dirt path, eventually reaching the bonfire, a small blondish girl scampered up to them. As she reached the couple, she quickly licked the gooey marsh mellow that was stuck on her fingers, “come get s’mores!” she cried and Rubiann untangled herself from Marshall, now pulling him by the hand up to the fire.
This small blondish girl was Karly, Rubiann’s very best friend. She was very short and petite, just about five feet, and had golden brown hair that was cut just touching her shoulders. She slithered through people in her lime green and aqua bikini that fit her little body just right. She was energetic and fun: the kind of girl that everyone swarmed too. Rubiann was going to miss her this summer, they did everything together: sports, school, sleepovers, everything.
As they shared a seat in front of the fire, each letting their marsh mellow get mushy, Karly leaned into Rubiann, “Rub, you look so gorgeous.”
Rubiann laughed to herself, “Karls, I’m wet and smell like ocean.”
“No, you look perfect,” Karly confirmed in a tone that was so kind and genuine, the jealousy could barely be heard behind it. Rubiann looked at the burning embers as Karly gazed towards where Marshall was standing; although Rubiann was oblivious to it, Karly had a bit of jealousy towards her best friend.
This was quite clear to everyone, that is, except Rubiann; although, it was easy to understand the jealousy. Rubiann Wells had qualities most people only dreamed of possessing: both inside and out.
She was the ideal height at five feet seven inches and was very thin, even with her appetite. She had an athletic body: a long torso and legs that seemed endless. Every inch of her skin was tanned evenly into a caramel brown, but not the kind you pay for at a salon, she was dark simply from sun exposure. Her bleach blonde hair hit the small of her back in soft, simple curls and she wore a yellow strapless bikini showing off her perfect tanned frame. Her brown eyes held just a hint of gold and were always bouncing around the room, deciding where to visit next; her smile was white and shining.
Rubiann was laid-back in a fun, easy sort of fashion; she never let things upset her. She lived life to the fullest and had a fun, light sense of humor that brightened every room; when she had fun, everyone had fun. Her quiet easy voice carried only because everyone wanted to listen, people stopped to hear what she had to say. Although she was not nearly as outgoing as Karly, she was far more well known, simply because she was Rubiann. She never saw herself as something special: she just was.
Soon to be sixteen in mid-July, she had just finished sophomore year at her public high school. Rubiann had a glow to her: that is how Marshall found her.
Marshall was an entire year older than her; a boy many would call unattainable. He was a transfer student this past year and almost every girl wanted him. With his quick wit, undeniable beauty, and impressive skills in the net as a goalie on the school hockey team, he was immediately well liked. Leading the team to their first win in five years, as well as his casual beauty, made him attractive to almost every girl.
When he first met Rubiann she was taken, but eventually she broke things off with that boy, and Marshall immediately asked her to the winter formal. Shortly after they were marked as official and became the “it couple.”
That was the thing with Rubiann: she was hardly ever single. It wasn’t that she couldn’t be, she just never was. As far as anyone could tell, Rubiann had it all; Karly had spent her entire life fighting the urge to compare herself to her best friend, and usually she could resist. However, there was one thing of Rubiann’s that drove Karly absolutely mad: Marshall. Karly had been eyeing Marshall since the first day of school, yet Rubiann had simply snapped her fingers and he had fallen. Karly had never been willingly jealous of her best friend until the day Marshall asked her out: Marshall was all Karly wanted.
Rubiann pulled the marsh mellow off her stick and squeezed it between too graham crackers and chocolate, “I’m gonna miss you, babygirl,” she said before taking a big bite of her s’more.
“I know,” Karly said, forcing herself to break her gaze from the boy, “how am I gonna make it without you, mama!”
Rubiann sighed, placing her half-eaten s’more on top of a napkin in the sand and running a hand through her beach curls, she sadly said, “it isn’t going to feel like summer in Rhode Island.”
"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:48 am
constantia says...

I liked it! Entertaining and cute(:

But just a few things to address, if I may...

I personally thing the first two paragraphs were a little choppy. It didn't flow too well with me. Maybe it's the sentence structure, or just the length. Or maybe both, I don't know. The order of events and such were great, but it was the actual detail, coming together part that didn't work out too well.

Spelling alert: "watter" should be "water". Perhaps only a typo, but I thought I should point it out just in case.

The sudden addition weight brought not only the boy, but also the beautiful girl that clung to his back, down into the cool, early-evening water.

Grammatically, I believe "addition" should be "additional".

Being her last night in Cape Cod before she packed her bags for Rhode Island, she couldn’t be more content to spend every moment possible with her boyfriend. A mere hundred or so feet up the beach, the girl’s closest friends and family sat around a bonfire in her yard. Cape Cod was where she wanted to spend her summer; she wanted to spend every night cuddling with her boyfriend, and everyday tanning with her best friend. She wanted to reconnect with her sister after being separated for so long while her sister was away at college. Although she could not begin to describe the excited feeling inside her every time she remembered that she was finally seeing her mom, she couldn’t help but feel sadness towards leaving her life behind all summer. There was so much she knew she could miss.

I think this paragraph could be easier to understand or get a feel of if it was split up into two parts. It might only be the way the second sentence was started, but it seems to be a little jumbled up into a large(ish) paragraph. But that's only me. I might just split my prose up too much (wouldn't be a far off possibility... haha). My personal opinion though is either to start new at "Cape Cod was where..." or to switch up the wording for the sentence "A mere hundred or so..." I think if you just rearranged the sentence, it would be fine (this whole comment paragraph of mine is only for flow. I don't see anything else wrong with it grammatically).

Lastly, this is just about overall story/plot (however you'd like to see it). Well, no okay. Haha Maybe I'm picky, or maybe I'm imposing my personal ideas onto you too much (I'm truly sorry if that's the case), but it seems a little fluffy to me. And sure, fluff could be tremendously good for some people. It can heal lives, LOL jk. But anyway, the point I was trying to get to, was that your characters seem to have a bit of a resemblance to Mary Sue/Gary Stu to me. I may be wrong (SO SORRY if I am. I hate giving that kind of anxiety to other writers. I know how it feels, but I only want to help), especially because I might just not have a good enough perspective on your characters being that this is only one chapter, but it's good for original fiction writers to be aware of this literary criticism. I had to learn this the hard way. -_- lol but anyway, If you don't know what I'm referring to, I think a googled definition of Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters would be better for you than my rambles, but it basically has to do with sort of over idealizing a character, it being a little too perfect and what not.

That's generally all the points I thought to address. Hope it helped at all. Though I really don't think that any of it did. I may have been too vague, and I'm sorry. I'm also dearly sorry if I'd hit a nerve or anything. I myself am a rather sensitive writer, but constructive criticism is the only way to learn, is it not? I hope I didn't piss you off, and I hope my points were coherent enough. If you'd like me to specify on anything, feel free to pm me.(:

...or if you'd just like to cuss me out in a pm, I guess that works too. Haha

xo gummies

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:46 am
dragonrider says...

You had sentences all over the place and several of them were . . . boring :(( and confusing. Use interesting adjectives that keep you hooked and thrilled and make solid paragraphs with clear thought and focus. It was cute and a little innocent. Keep on writing!
Dragon Rider
Dragon Rider
May the dragon always ride on the winds of time

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:29 pm
View Likes
Kaedee says...

Hi Cer1553!

The girl let out a high-pitched screech
It's not wrong or incorrect to use "screech" in this sentence, but I feel like it just doesn't fit well. When people screech, they're usually crying out extremely loudly in pain or terror. It seems like "squeal" or something would be more appropriate.

He reached around to where the girl still clung to him, finding her waist, he pried her off his back, managing to somehow at the same time slide her delicately onto the shallow sandy water.
This sentence is weird. It's too long, and "reached" is past tense while "finding" is present tense. Watch your tenses throughout your prologue!

She leaned into his strong body and said, “I’m gonna miss you so much more.”
They continued to walk in silence for a moment and she took the chance to look towards the sunset. She was going to miss Marshall so much.
I don't think you need the last sentence, since she already just said that.

As they shared a seat in front of the fire, each letting their marsh mellow get mushy, Karly leaned into Rubiann, “Rub, you look so gorgeous.”
Remember, you pretty much always need some kind of word like "saying" before the comma in front of the dialog (between "Rubiann" and the comma after it). So, this sentence should be re-written like this: As they shared a seat in front of the fire, each letting their marsh mellow get mushy, Karly leaned into Rubiann saying,"----------"
Does that make sense? I saw this problem repeatedly in your work here.

Rubiann was laid-back in a fun, easy sort of fashion; she never let things upset her. She lived life to the fullest and had a fun, light sense of humor that brightened every room; when she had fun, everyone had fun.
Too many fun fun fun fun funs. XD

Her quiet easy voice carried only because everyone wanted to listen,.People stopped to hear what she had to say.
You have many sentences like this one, in which a comma should be replaced with a period.

I like how detailed the beginning scene is. I can picture everything perfectly. So romantic! ;D
You seem to have your characters' personalities planned out, which is good. I don't really have a sense of what this story's plot is yet; after all, this is just a prologue! So, I can't make any storyline related comments now. Those will have to wait until I get deeper into the story!

I hope I helped. Good luck-

Kae
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves