z

Young Writers Society

When We Grow Up - Chapter One

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am
Maisie says...

August 3rd, 2006.

The summer had finally decided to arrive in Farrowbrook, since most of June and July had consisted of rain and clouds and now that it was around twenty-one degrees, most people in town we’re making the most out of it, including me and my best friend Lucas Blakely.
Lucas and I had been best friends since we both can remember, always round at each other’s houses and his family felt like mine and my family felt like his family. Maybe that’s because both our Dad’s were, and still are to this day, best friends.
Our tree house was the best. Our Dad’s had built it us when we were about six and in the summer, it was our favourite place to be. Sitting side by side, Lucas and I drank glasses of lemonade and basically waved the afternoon goodbye as we spoke about nothing really that important, but at the time, it seemed like the most important things in the world.
Today, was basically like no other, we sat and drank lemonade and talked about the memories we both shared in primary school. As I get the last of the lemonade out of my glass, Lucas looks at me for a minute and smiles. He lies on the floor of the tree house.
“What?” I laugh.
“Come look at the sky, look how slow the clouds are moving.” He says, in a soft, soothing voice.
I shuffle down to join him and as I get comfortable, I begin looking at the clouds. “Wow.”
“Wow.” He echoes. “And did you know, when you go on holiday and go on a plane, the clouds look like white candy floss?”
My eyes begin to close as I relax. “Mhm.”
We lie in silence for a few moments and then I open my eyes, turn my head to see Lucas’ eyes open. “I can’t believe we’re going to High School in September.”
“I know, it’s going to be so weird, you know, being in a different place and meeting new people.”
I exhale. “Things are going to be different cause we’re getting older and we’re not babies anymore, Luc.”
“I know, I know. I just, I’m scared that’s all.”
“You’re not on your own there, pal.”
Silence for a few more moments before one of us has the courage to break the peace.
He chuckles lightly.
“What’s so funny?” I ask, beginning to sit up with my elbows as a rest, stretching my sore legs and as I do my face scrunches in pain.
“Nothing’s funny, well, it is a little.” He laughs now, and not lightly either.
“What?!” I ask, a grin creeping its way onto my lips.
“We’re acting like everything’s going to change.” He smiles, lying his head back down on the wood.
I smirk. “That’s ‘cause it is going to change.”
“Everything except this.” He says, smiling to himself.
“Everything except what?” I ask, a little chuckle coming from my throat.
“Us. You and Me. We’re still going to be best friends. In fact, I bet we’re going to be best friends forever.”
“How long is forever?” I smile, turning my head to face him.
He smirks. “Pretty long I think.”
My face goes into a blank, serious expression. “I don’t think I can put up with you for that long.”
His expression mirrors mine, then he lightly pokes me continually on my arm. “Hey!”
I grin, and now I’m in hysterics. “Oi! No! Ow! Stop! I’m joking! I’m joking!”
He grins and settles back down on the floor of the treehouse.
I’m still settling my giggling.
There is another few moments of peace before I sigh, roll over on my side. “You mean it though?”
“Of course I mean it.” He says. “You have my word.”
“Pinky swear?” I raise my pinkie to his, and he wraps his around mine.
“Pinky swear.” He smiles.
“It’s settled then. Best friends forever.”
“Best friends forever.” He echoes.

There we were in our childhood innocence. So niave, yet so happy in our own ignorance. We had no idea that the world was as big and as cruel as we soon realised it was. We soon realised that life wasn’t a fairytale like movies made them out to be. At the end of the day, we hung onto the promise that was made that summery afternoon because, to us, that was the only thing that would last in a world like this.

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am
IcyFlame says...

Hey, I'm Icyflame and can't do review introductions ... so lets get right onto the piece!
I really love the first paragraph you've written here. It reminds me a little of the style of the first paragraph in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. That in itself made me want to continue reading. What I will say against it though is that it's a very long sentence. Remove one of the 'and's in the middle, put in a period and then start a new sentence. It just makes it easier to read.

Maisie wrote:Maybe that’s because both our Dad’s were, and still are to this day, best friends.
I feel you could expand here, or could do so in the future. Once you've established the main characters and the setting a little more it would be a nice idea to let us know who their father's are and how they met, why they are best friends etc.

Maisie wrote:“Come look at the sky, look how slow the clouds are moving.” He says, in a soft, soothing voice.

When writing speech a comma is placed between what is said and who is saying it. I'm not very good at explaining it but as a result this sentence would look like this:
'"Come look at the sky, look how slow the clouds are moving," he says, in a soft, soothing voice. Does this make sense? I'm sure there's a forum on it somewhere on the site :)

That' all I really have in terms of nitpicks. It's nice to be shown how the characters are at a young stage together, this way we don't have to be totally reliant on the way they tell us it was because it has already been shown to us. It's a nice technique, even though we feel pretty confident that these two will end up together. Just make sure the whole story isn't too predicatble and some interesting things happen along the way.

Keep using that keyboard!

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am
IsItLove says...

I really enjoyed it so far and can't wait to see where it leads, there was only a few mistakes I spotted!
most people in town we’re making the most out of it

Here it should be "most people in town were making the most out of it" because other wise you are say we are.
Maybe that’s because both our Dad’s were

You don't need the apostrophe here.
Lucas and I drank glasses of lemonade and basically waved the afternoon goodbye as we spoke about nothing really that important

I wouldn't put the basically in here, it doesn't sound right.
Today, was basically like no other, we sat and drank lemonade and talked about the memories we both shared in primary school. As I get the last of the lemonade out of my glass, Lucas looks at me for a minute and smiles. He lies on the floor of the tree house.

Again, I don't think you need the basically here it doesn't sound right.
That's pretty much all I could see and I can't wait for more! Xxx
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 am
Jennya says...

Hey I have come to review! Don't be afraid to post the worst you can get is some good old constructive criticism.
I quite like the start of this, nice scene setting. Your speaker has a nice casual tone whihc is quite refreshing your main danger is to tell instead of show. You don't need your voice to point something out instead you can show it though there speech etc.
Generally the into scene setting is brief but nice, maybe a little to simple but I did get a good feel for place and time. In the future remember to use all the scenes. I already like your characters and the dialogue seems cool. The grammar, as far as I can tell is not to bad but then again I'm terrible with it. others have already pointed out some problems.
I like the last two ending lines, nice way to finish off a chapter, adds intrigue for the rest of your novel.
This is not the best review I've ever written but in general this was good.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

Random avatar

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 am
Maisie says...

Thank you for all your constructive criticism, I shall be working through my second chapter soon, and then go back and edit the chapters.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 pm
AngelKnight900 says...

Hello there :D I really like this chapter but what I will comment on is that it seems to be more of a prologue than a chapter because of your ending. I guess if you could extend it more and have what you already written into a flashback and then show the present, it could make a great first chapter. I can't wait to see where this story leads and I wish you good luck. Keep writing :D
True confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know your are great, you have no need to hate.
-Nicki Minaj

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:03 pm
LooneyPandaxx says...

hi LooneyPandaxx here!

i really liked first paragraph because it was really intreeging and i wanted to read more. the only problem was that the sentences wer too long, you should get rid of some and's. but over all it was brilliant!!! :D

Random avatar

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm
Maisie says...

Thank you once again for all your constructive criticism! :)

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

The summer had finally decided to arrive in Farrowbrook, since most of June and July had consisted of rain and clouds and now that it was around twenty-one degrees, most people in town we’re making the most out of it, including me and my best friend Lucas Blakely.
Lucas and I had been best friends since we both can remember, always round at each other’s houses and his family felt like mine and my family felt like his family. Maybe that’s because both our Dad’s dads were, and still are to this day, best friends.
Our tree house was the best. Our Dad’s dads had built it for us when we were about six and in the summer, it was our favourite favorite place to be. Sitting side by side, Lucas and I drank glasses of lemonade and basically waved the afternoon goodbye as we spoke about nothing really that important, but at the time, it seemed like the most important things in the world.
“What?” I laugh.
“Come look at the sky, look how slow the clouds are moving.” He says, in a soft, soothing voice.
I shuffle down to join him and as I get comfortable, I begin looking at the clouds. “Wow.”
“Wow.” He echoes. “And did you know, when you go on holiday and go on a plane, the clouds look like white candy floss?”
My eyes begin to close as I relax. “Mhm.”
We lie in silence for a few moments and then I open my eyes, turn my head to see Lucas’ eyes open. “I can’t believe we’re going to High School in September.”
“I know, it’s going to be so weird, you know, being in a different place and meeting new people.”
I exhale. “Things are going to be different cause we’re getting older and we’re not babies anymore, Luc.”
“I know, I know. I just, I’m scared that’s all.”
“You’re not on your own there, pal.”
Silence for a few more moments before one of us has the courage to break the peace.
He chuckles lightly.
“What’s so funny?” I ask, beginning to sit up with my elbows as a rest, stretching my sore legs and as I do my face scrunches in pain.
“Nothing’s funny, well, it is a little.” He laughs now, and not lightly either.
“What?!” I ask, a grin creeping its way onto my lips.
“We’re acting like everything’s going to change.” He smiles, lying his head back down on the wood.
I smirk. “That’s ‘cause it is going to change.”
“Everything except this.” He says, smiling to himself.
“Everything except what?” I ask, a little chuckle coming from my throat.
“Us. You and Me. We’re still going to be best friends. In fact, I bet we’re going to be best friends forever.”
“How long is forever?” I smile, turning my head to face him.
He smirks. “Pretty long I think.”
My face goes into a blank, serious expression. “I don’t think I can put up with you for that long.”
His expression mirrors mine, then he lightly pokes me continually on my arm. “Hey!”
I grin, and now I’m in hysterics. “Oi! No! Ow! Stop! I’m joking! I’m joking!”
He grins and settles back down on the floor of the treehouse.
I’m still settling my giggling.
There is another few moments of peace before I sigh, roll over on my side. “You mean it though?”
“Of course I mean it.” He says. “You have my word.”
“Pinky swear?” I raise my pinkie to his, and he wraps his around mine.
“Pinky swear.” He smiles.
“It’s settled then. Best friends forever.”
“Best friends forever.” He echoes.
There we were in our childhood innocence. So niave naive, yet so happy in our own ignorance. We had no idea that the world was as big and as cruel as we soon realised realized it was. We soon realised realized that life wasn’t a fairytale like movies made them out to be. At the end of the day, we hung onto the promise that was made that summery afternoon because, to us, that was the only thing that would last in a world like this.

Hey there!

Not bad for a first chapter. It kinda sets up the scene so anything can happen in the next chapter. I’m a bit curious to find out where this is going x)

You have a few spelling errors you should fix, I corrected what I saw. On MS word, they were all underlined in red squiggles. I suggest that you proofread a little more carefully, since these were all simple mistakes.

The only thing I found odd about this was that these two soon-to-be ninth graders were acting like 6-year-olds. I know when I was in ninth grade, we were all too cool for pinky promises and cloud gazing. And the dialogue was also too innocent, I thought. That part about ‘how long is forever?’ just seemed a little childish.

Anyways, I’m going on to part 2!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 pm
dj91207 says...

I thought the first chapter was good! I only have time to read the first one but i liked it and am interested to read more later. The only mistakes I spotted were already pointed out, but otherwise good job! Keep it up.

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart