z

Young Writers Society

Kri'sha -- Vetren'iy Sketch #2

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:26 am
Poor Imp says...

Krisha

Note: Thanks to dear DD for remarks and brushings-up of this. With any luck, Crysi's will be next. She's the one I owe Tov's continued existence to. ^_~ (He is annoying.)
--
His jacket worn ragged, soleless boots silent on the pavement, the wiry figure slipped across Aleksander into the overhang of the Vranats Hotel. It was irony these days. Someone had let the sign hang since an end no one could remember--or would recall. In fading Cyrillic letters, ostentatious, it read XOTEIL BPAHAU`, metal rusting and its corners dinted in. Its name implied a crooked, past-sinister decrepitude now. Hackers, once-moneyed drifters with once aristocratic names (they said), and the res skinners owned its stripped suites.

It was a place you could meet the detritus of both sides--Vostok and Zapad. No man’s land.

As long as you didn’t worry much over switchblades and slit throats.

With a glance over his shoulder,the slight young man pushed past the dim-reflecting glass doors. He didn’t worry - by his look. Irony, sharp as his clothing was ragged, hovered in the flick of his gaze and pallid features.

He took the stairwell, ignoring the half-gaped lift door and shattered glass beyond it. Glass cracked under his feet all the same, sprinkled over red carpet worn rust-blood brown and on the landings of rotting wood . Three flights up, he stopped.

The window over the landing was hairline shattered and half-boarded up, off-kilter with its right still hung in black drapes and its left side bald. In the blurred light, the floor lay scattered in debris. If a corpse could be considered such. The stiff figure curled tight into the corner had its head twisted back, and white shirt stained all down the front a colour not too different from the carpet.

“Ouch,” said the young man.

But he didn’t hesitate longer. He took the next three flights, two steps at a time, tugging every few seconds at his gloves. The gloves, fingers too short, didn't fit.

Finally, he swung off the stairwell, knocking through a one-hinged door into a door-lined corridor. Dim, what numbers remained on their doors were hardly legible: some hung by a tack while others left only a shadow. The carpet, cigarette burnt, was teal where it still had colour.

“Hey.” In the shade of one cracked doorway, a fissure-faced man leaned, all lines and scarcely any age in his cragged features, blue eyes bleared. “Hey,” he repeated, giving the young man a bleared once-over glance, “Looking for somethin’ good?”

The young man’s expression turned pointedly sardonic. “Hey,” he echoed, “Maybe, right?… wouldn’t have anything to do with you though.”

With a grimace, menace dulled by disoriented gaze, the man vanished back into the room. And at the same time, the last numbered door swung open at the end. A scatter-eyed man peered, uneasily out of it, dishevelled brown hair and dishevelled gaze matched perfectly to his rumpled shirt and hands, tight over door-frame, twitching. He was younger than the bleared fellow, smooth face stubble-rough and wariness still light.

“That was stupid,” he said, “Stupid, Hell, Tov. Jus’ come in, all right?”

“Stupid?” said the young man, “Hey--he was-” he paused, “Your door’s lost its number.”

“Just come in.”

The room was long, narrowed by lack of light and clutter. A slit-cushioned sofa lay beneath the covered window; mismatched table and chairs crouched in the far corner, lit only by wafer-thin comp. screen. The man snapped the door shut, dead-bolted and tapped four digits swiftly into a keypad.

“Beautfiul place,” said Tov, deadpan, “Safe though, right?”

The man sunk into the chair near the computer. “I hope so…’has been anyhow. Gavno,” he turned sharply to the screen. Fyodor, scrolled across, in the Latin and then in Cyrillic.

“Ought to say Fedya.”

“Computers don’t work on nicknames,” said the man vaguely, “You know? Hell, what did you want?”

“Teller wants.”

“Aidan Teller?” His hands faltered, still over keypad. “Zapad?”

“Sure, say it out loud, Fedya.” Tov slid down into the chair nearest, propped booted feet on the table. Fedya’s gaze never shifted.

“I can’t do it. I can’t do it, all right?”

“Good hacker can do anything,” Tov was expressionless.

Silence held then, for a computer-humming moment; and Tov stared at the ceiling.

“…Barons again…” muttered Fedya at last, “Drev’s looking, y’know. Recruits.”

“Ha.”

“’S not funny.”

“Hey--life’s amusing. Maybe.”

“You’re not…” Fedya cursed. “Half the suspension bridge on Vosotok, down in the games again. Y’see?”

“Heard.”

“Frick and Drev’ll take the city, or one of them…”

“Teller?” interjected Tov.

Gaze distanced, Fedya focused on the scrolling numbers; and stopped them with a sharp tap, two keys.

When he spoke, it was against a waver in his own voice and beneath the comp. set's gentle hum.

“And what do you do when you’re trapped, and you don’t know which way from up,” he said, “what do you do if you can’t get out?”

Tov looked blank. “Er, hey… You can always run, right?”

Silence.

“Into a wall?” Fedya asked, “Hell--into a gun muzzel?”

“Lies are easy to dodge,”

“Yeah, I… But walls aren’t.. What do I do?”

“Don’t,” said Tov.

“I can’t,” Fedya leaned over the keypad, biting his lip, “I can’t help if I do!”

“Ha. Well, you can die then.”

“No! God, no…look,” his fingers hit arbitrary keys, quivering, “No, listen. I can’t die. I can’t stand it, trapped trapped in a corner and I’ll be bleeding. Bloody all down--bullet holes in my head.”

“Shut up.”

“What do I do?” Fedya was pleading now, consciousness lost on computer, on the room; he tried to find a steady gaze. Tov pointedly looked away. “What do I do? You never get caught, y‘know, never. You’re always --always ahead. How?”

“I run faster. Hell--serious?…” Tov grinned. “Hey, maybe it’s just luck, right? Maybe I’ve got, ah, some bloody lucky star.”

“No. No,” Fedya shook his head, “There’s something else, da? Puzhalsta, droog, znayu shto…shto-ta sluchilas--”

“In English,” snapped Tov

Fedya drew aimless lines all over keys without depressing them.

“How?”

Tov laughed, sharp. “Ever wonder, hey, if maybe I don’t know? ever wonder, if…what if it just happens?

Fedya watched the computer screen, worried features drawn in pallid light. “I. Hell. Things don’t just happen, you know? Don’t…’cause they need the right start-up, need the right letter first, the right thought. See, I type it. And there.

“Don’t just happen…”

“Hell.” Tov glanced back at the ceiling. “Ask God then.”

“He wouldn’t answer,” said Fedya, bleak.

“Oh, ha--really, think so?”

“You got to tell me, Tov.”

Tov jerked to his feet, a chill shadow breaking flippant irritation just a moment in his gaze. “Teller’s got answers, da? Go talk to Teller--hey, he’ll talk.”

“He doesn’t run like you.”

“I don’t run,” Tov grinned, “Just know where to step off.”
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:44 am
Cassandra says...

So. I don't know anything about Tov, besides that in the Character Answer Game over on Writing Activities his answers are always amusing. I also don't know much about the world this is set in. But throughout this sketch, both characters seemed to stay in character, and both personalities definitely came out through the dialouge. I'm sorry I don't have anything more constructive to say, but know that I read it and it was a very interesting read. A nice break from the norm. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:03 am
Dream Deep says...

And it's Fedya's Sketch! ^_^ Polished up, dressed up and revised, of course.

It's come along nicely since the original posting on SBS, Imp. I can't take credit for that, it was the original piece that was the gem - I was just offering some suggestions on shining it up a bit. ^_~ This reads so well. I'm glad you've finally posted it on YWS, it wouldn't due to leave it forever in the shadows of the seldom-visited NRJ forums.

I've nothing but praise for this - I can see nothing out of place or out of character in the piece. It's excellent. ^_^

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 am
Crysi says...

Amazing, Imp. In fact, Saphirus has agreed to back off for quite some time now, just because you posted this. ;)

There are a few minor blips, like one or two typos or the occasional extra space, but nothing that really takes away from the story. Tov... He's such a casual rebel. I love it. Nonchalance meets mischief.

Very good. :)
Love and Light

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:34 am
Skye says...

I've been so curious about Tov for the longest time - he always had such amusingly evasive answers in the Character Answer Threads, and he didn't disappoint in this sketch. :) There are a couple typos, but nothing really to critique - it was a well-assembled and well-written lead-in.

Thanks for the read!
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:23 am
Poor Imp says...

Thanks, almost inexpressibly, to all of you. ^_^ Vetren'iy has been maddening, what with Tov and most everything else...and I rather thought it wasn't coming out into anything worth reading.

Crysi -- I'll write more before Saphirus is finished helping you out and gets back to me. ^_~

And thanks Skye and Cassandra...the consistency of a lot of it has been bothering me. It helps to know two good writers thought it fit itself well. ^_^

IMP

(And always - thanks Deep Dreamer ^_~)

...More remarks always welcomed, naturally.

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:00 pm
Myth says...

Green = Comment/Correction
Black = Review

“I hope so…’has been anyhow. Gavno,” he turned sharply to the screen. Fyodor, scrolled across, in the Latin and then in Cyrillic.

I don’t think ‘the’ is necessary there. I know this is just a sketch but I though I’d point that out (or just annoy you ;))

“And what do you do when you’re trapped, and you don’t know which way from up,” he said, “what do you do if you can’t get out?”

I think my head hurts after reading that, it doesn’t really make any sense to me XD

“Into a wall?” Fedya asked, “Hell--into a gun muzzel?”

Ought to be ‘muzzle’.

Hey Imp!

Tov never fails to amuse anyone XD

I especially liked his reaction to the corpse:

“Ouch,” said the young man.

Most people coil away or say “Yuk,” etc. And then he goes off the subject (when Fedya calls him stupid) to say:

“Your door’s lost its number.”

It makes him seem... distracted (something my kid siblings do a lot when they want to avoid a certain issue).

-- Myth
.: ₪ :.

'...'

459 Reviews

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm
Poor Imp says...

Oy, thanks Myth! If I've got two Myth-critiques in a day, I'm sure it makes it a good one. ^_^

I don’t think ‘the’ is necessary there. I know this is just a sketch but I though I’d point that out (or just annoy you :wink:)

Ha...you're taking on Tov's annoying abilities to point out the extraneous? ^_^'' You've got a point, to an extent. I was toying with 'Latin' (which it isn't the language) or 'the Latin' as in 'alphabet'. o0'

It makes him seem... distracted (something my kid siblings do a lot when they want to avoid a certain issue).

Oh, well - Tov is endlessly childish, if not at all child-like. ^_~

Thanks again for the time. ^_^

IMP

-Lloyd Alexander

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 pm
Leja says...

I adore the way you write, Imp, a lovely mix of action and description. Watch out for sentences like these, though: "With a glance over his shoulder,the slight young man pushed past the dim-reflecting glass doors." where most of the nouns are modified by adjectives. Though this shouldn't be too much of a problem as this is one of the few/only places I noticed.

“Hey.” In the shade of one cracked doorway, a fissure-faced man leaned, all lines and scarcely any age in his cragged features, blue eyes bleared. “Hey,” he repeated, giving the young man a bleared once-over glance, “Looking for somethin’ good?”

I really like the bolded description, but I'd choose a different adjective to replace the second use of "bleared".

The room was long, narrowed by lack of light and clutter.

Consider "narrowed by clutter and lack of light" or it sounds like there is a lack of clutter as well as a lack of light, opposite to the image you're going for.

I was a little confused as to the characters about halfway through. Initially, it seemed like Fedya was the more practical one and Tov was more childish, Fedya getting annoyed that Tov didn't march right in the door and all, but Fedya seems to break down:

“I can’t,” Fedya leaned over the keypad, biting his lip, “I can’t help if I do!”

“Ha. Well, you can die then.”

“No! God, no…look,” his fingers hit arbitrary keys, quivering, “No, listen. I can’t die. I can’t stand it, trapped trapped in a corner and I’ll be bleeding. Bloody all down--bullet holes in my head.”

This might happen at some point, because characters are rarely static, but they seem to switch so soon after being introduced that it's a tad confusing. I like the dialogue. It's not too long to tell everything, but it's not ever too short to leave me wondering entirely what's happening.

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James