z

Young Writers Society

COUNTERSTRIKE (chapter 1 section 1)

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:20 am
Jaskan says...

[pre]Im writing this 'short story' (which allways seems to be a problem with me as they turn into epics!) and just wandered what people thaught.
this section ends quite abruptly becouse it isnt the end of the chapter on anything, this is just where im up to so far.

[pre] The Techman on duty yawned loudly and casually surveyed the computer flat-screens spread out around him, showing maps of the land surrounding the base. Thermal, radar and techscreen cameras where constantly surveying the 15 miles of dry plain and nothing could sneak up unawares.
Unless of course they took out all 10 cam-bots…but that was impossible, they where equipped with grade A camouflage, motion sensors and could go from 2-200 mph in a single second, it was impossible.
That’s when one of the screens went blank. The techman jerked forward and tapped in the access code, franticly trying to regain the live feed.
‘What the… oh, shit!’
He scrabbled with a touch screen positioned immediately on his right and jabbed his finger at four digits: C1TE- Code 1 Total Emergency.

Special Unit 325 commander Jont Relbrink fell sideways out of his sliding wall bed and bashed his chin heavily against the hard steel flooring.
He cursed and groaned loudly as an alarm went off suddenly in the corridors. Surely it couldn’t be time to change the watch yet…Hold on, that wasn’t the low droning tones of a change alarm this was a high screeching, wailing sound- code C1TE.

He dressed as quickly as possible and, pausing only to grab his lightweight body-suit ran out into the long strip-lighted corridors of the base’s main building, jostling aside worried looking techmen and confused soldiers standing, half-dressed outside their billets, and ran towards the communications tower.
He pressed level 5 on the lift door, hurried inside, and approximately 2 seconds later the doors slid open to reveal the base commander: Gorta Heaminbar who was already standing in his Generals uniform and and who was accompanied by Towsun speenson his chief tactics advisor.
‘Commander…’ he began but Jont cut across him
‘What happened, are the Union attacking?’
The General glanced quickly at Speenson and said hesitantly
‘We think so; the techman on duty in the monitoring room reported one of the screens failing half an hour ago. Three more have gone since then.
One could’ve been just a technical hitch: maybe the robot crashed…but four of them’ he shook his head,
‘That’s got to be planned, we’ve got no coverage at the front of the building and we expect to loose the rest of them within the next ten minutes.’
Speenson pulled out a pocket screen and flicked it on; it showed a 3d plan of the base and its defences.
‘We’re going to position gunners and snipers all the way around the main compound and have 4 gunners man the electricity canon at the top of the tower. That way we’re prepared for anything, but were going to concentrate forces around the front as that’s where the first camera’s where lost.’[/pre]

Please note- i am from England so it is using British spelling[/pre]
Last edited by Jaskan on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamBobbyGS

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:06 am
winters says...

Pretty good. There are a few spelling/grammatical errors(such as 'where' instead of 'were') but otherwise was very well-written. If you're going for a heavy military theme, you might want to integrate more military lingo(as ranks, duty stations, equipment and the like).
Just a thought.

Random avatar

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 am
Jaskan says...

thanks for that, this isn't my usual theme in my story's and I'm not great at grammar so cheers for the help,
ill see if i can edit some of that stuff you suggested into the story
LiamBobbyGS

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:10 pm
nirvana says...

good i liked it looking forward to the rest make sure to give a background on the charactersand watch the spelling and grammer looking forward to it!!
Anger is fear turned inward
Peace is happiness turned outward

Random avatar

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:50 am
Jaskan says...

thanks, the next bit will probably come in a week or two, im working on it :lol:
LiamBobbyGS

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster