z

Young Writers Society

Safe Haven Ch3

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:18 pm
kshsj777 says...

NOTE: There is a little French in the last scene, followed by the English in italics. If any of you know French, please make sure it's correct, since I am a student and just learning.

Chapter 3

Jennifer entered the noisy dining hall the following morning, and took a seat at an empty two-person table. Resting her chin on her arm, she slowly scanned the room until she spotted Kyle halfway across the room at another table.

When she made eye contact with him, she noticed he was concentrating on her. Guessing that he was trying to enter her mind she lowered the barrier. She felt him draw near to her, and then his thoughts echoed in her mind.

Good morning, Jennifer.

Good morning.

Did you sleep well?

Jennifer smiled. It was you, wasn't it? The boy in my dream. In the field.

Yes. Now... is there anyone you trust... to perform the ceremony?

My teacher, Elder Jabeth, Jennifer replied.

You are absolutely certain he can be trusted?

"Excuse me ma'am," a waiter said, tapping Ms. Sweet on the shoulder. "Would you like anything for breakfast?"

The link dissolved, and Jenny looked up at the waiter. "Umm... Some stir fry would be nice."

"It'll be ready in about five minutes, ma'am."

The waiter left, and Jennifer turned back toward Kyle, lowering her shield once again. Yes, she answered.

Then have him meet us in the grove in half an hour.

Shouldn't we wait until nightfall? Someone might see us.

No. We would need light, and that would draw too much attention. We need to do this as soon as possible.

Okay.

You still sure about this?

Jennifer nodded, but then her eyes widened as she realized how strange she looked, nodding to no one in particular. So she averted her gaze.

Jennifer?

Yes?

Be careful. Look to the One.

I will.

Kyle slowly withdrew from her, and Jennifer sighed. Barely a few seconds passed before the waiter came with her breakfast. After she prayed and took a few bites of food, she looked up to notice that the back door leading outside was swinging shut, and that Kyle's seat was empty. She quickly finished her meal and then exited back into the hallway.

A robed figure sat somewhere between the seats Kyle and Jennifer had occupied. A green scaly hand emerged from one of the sleeves as she rose and made a quiet exit outside.

Ambassador Sweet briskly made her way to the grove of trees where both Kyle and the Queller Elder, Jabeth, awaited her.

"All right," the Elder began, when Ms. Sweet was within earshot, "What is this you need to discuss with me?"

What indeed! their uninvited guest thought.

Jennifer opened her mouth to speak but saw Kyle do the same. "Go on," she told him.

He nodded once. "Elder Jabeth, we have decided to get married."

The Elder looked back and forth between them. "To each other? But's that's forbidden."

"Yes, Elder, I know," Jennifer replied. She reached for Kyle's hand, and clasped it. "We need to do this, to bring peace."

Peace? How dare they? How dare he?

"Jennifer... you'd be killed. I... Both of you."

"Our child could grow up to bring peace."

"Child!" Elder Jabeth exclaimed.

Child!

"We need your help, Elder Jabeth. To perform the ceremony," Kyle said.

"Absolutely not!"

"No one will able to harm us here, Elder, please," Jennifer begged.

She's begging? Begging to marry someone not of her kind? Begging to marry him? Kyle's mine! She's just begging to die!

"Jennifer, Safe Haven will only protect you from offworld threats."

Not from within!

"Safe Haven doesn't have any internal sensors. No one could locate us. We'll pick a remote mountain range where no one could think to look for us."

Is this woman mad? Does she even know what she's saying?

"Elder, we must do this!" she continued.

He appeared to deliberate within himself for some time. "I will consider it."

Consider? You're getting yourself in a lot of trouble, old man!

"That's all we can ask, but this must be done soon, if it is to be done. The conference resumes tomorrow morning."

"I will spend the remainder of the day in prayer, and I suggest you do the same. If God wishes it, then I will do what you request."

Then they left, one by one, until only their spy remained.

I should have laced that woman's mind when I had the chance! Oh of course, I couldn't have, she reminded herself. The stupid inhibitor! Won't let me do a --

Her thoughts were cut off as a hand clamped around her mouth. Instantly, she struggled against her attacker, but he was too strong for her.

"Kyle!" she sputtered, when he removed his hand.

"What are you doing here, Chandra?" he demanded as he held her in a visor-like grip.

"You traitorous pig! Just what do you think you're doing consorting with Peluri scum!"

"Hoping to accomplish something that for some reason you have no interest in doing."

"If you mean conscending to weaklings, and losing our bloodlines, then you're right!"

"We won't lose our bloodlines. I'm talking about one child... one child!"

"It doesn't matter, Kyle. Don't you get it?" She lowered her own shields, revealing the depths of her feelings to him causing him to release her. She spun around to face him, waiting for his reaction.

He was stunned all right, but to her dismay, he slowly shook his head, concentrating.

"No, Chandra. I can't." Without warning, Chandra felt her body fly backwards against a nearby tree, and felt an invisible force choking her.

Curse the inhibitor! she thought as she fell into unconsciousness.

And when she awoke several hours later, she was completely alone. No fair! Why should Kyle be powerful enough to bypass the inhibitor? Well one tele-call to the Separatists will fix that! And then the Obeis-Rei can take care of him!

That evening, a candle burned in front of Jennifer as she sat on the living room floor, cross legged with her head bowed and her hands clasped. The doorbell chimed and she rose from the floor to answer the door. A post courier stood at the other side holding a traditional piece of paper-and-ink mail.

"Hello, ma'am. This letter is addressed to Ms. Jennifer Sweet."

"That would be me."

"If you'd sign here indicating you recieved the post..."

"Ah! Yes." After the post courier left, she opened the letter. Without looking at the return address, she knew it was from her grand-père. Only he would use such old fashioned methods of communication. Jennifer broke the seal and read its contents, which were in French.

"Ma chère Jenny," it began. My dear Jenny. "Vous dois réturner à la terre. C'est très urgent. J'ai peur je ne peux pas plus préciser. Juste es-tu à la Station de Orbite Terrestre à quinze cent heure demain. J'y te verrai. Avec amour, ton grand-père décrépit." You must return to Earth as soon as possible. It's quite urgent. I'm afraid I can't elaborate any more than this. Just be at the Earth Orbiting Station at 1500 hours tomorrow. I'll see you there. With love, your old decrepit grandfather.

Jennifer sighed; this wasn't good. She knew her grandfather would never have asked her to come so quickly unless something terrible had happened. If only I could call Kyle with my mind!

She dropped her mental shields and tried to send her thoughts to him, but she knew it was pointless. Kyle! she screamed. Nothing.

She'd have to come up with a more creative way to get his attention. The layout of all the quarters in this section were the same. So what part of his quarters was he in? His bedroom? So Jennifer grabbed a poker stick from the fireplace -- which was there purely as decoration since the electric fireplace had long replaced a fireplace with actual fire -- and banged on the ceiling a few times.

Kyle! she yelled again.

This time he answered. Jennifer? What are you doing?

"Getting your attention!" she answered out loud. She heard him laugh in her mind.

What do you need, Jen?

I got a post from my grandfather. It's serious. He needs me to arrive at Earth by three in the afternoon.

When?

Tomorrow.

A pause. She felt him withdraw slighly, and guessed he was thinking about what they should do. Then he sent his reply.

I will try to reach the Elder. Kyle withdrew completely, and Jennifer waited for several minutes, keeping her shield lowered. She then walked back to the couch and sat down.

Ten minutes passed before the tone beeped, and Jenny rose as Elder Jabeth stepped inside. "Did Kyle reach you?"

"He will arrive in a moment."

"So then you'll do it?"

"Yes. Are you certain you want to do this, my daughter? Because when it is done..."

"I know what I'm doing."

The Elder nodded, and then squeezed her tightly. "I love you, Jennifer. I only want what's best for you. And..." He let her go, "while I admit I have some prejudices that still need taking care of, I understand now, that the only thing that matters, is that he is of the One."

"Thank you, Elder. That means a lot to me."

Kyle slipped in the room at that moment, and Jabeth took out an electronic pad. He turned it on, and after pressing some buttons, he handed it to Kyle to sign. Kyle took the accompaning pencil and signed his name, then handed the pad and pencil to Jennifer who did the same.

When she returned the pad to Jabeth, he pressed a few more buttons. "You both ready?"

"Yes." Kyle took his forest green scaly hand and took Jennifer's smooth pink hand in his own.

Then the Elder started reading from the book of Genesis. "'Then the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make a him a helper suitable for him...." So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. The Lord God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said...'"

"'This is now bone of my bones,'" Kyle quoted, taking Jennifer's other hand. "'And flesh of my flesh. She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.'"

"'For this reason,'" the Elder resumed. "'A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.'"

As the newly wed couple headed to the bedroom, Elder Jabeth turned off the pad and left.

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince