z

Young Writers Society

The Charge Card: 2

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:22 am
mikedb1492 says...

Here's the second chapter of The Charge Card. I hope you all like it.

The Charge Card: 2

John plopped into his black cushioned seat, put his hands behind his head, and leaned back. The office he’d just recently moved into was what he’d hoped for and more. He, being the leader of his new company Genuine Toys, had all the perks one could want. The walls were painted mahogany, and the floors were polished wood. He had a 60 inch plasma screen TV propped up on the wall with speakers suspended beside it. The desk he sat behind was the same shade as the walls with a brand new computer on top of it, and the entire back wall was a floor to ceiling window, giving a great view of the city.

The company John now owned had been a small, unsuccessful business until he’d come along with his mysteriously large sum of money. They were selling original forms of toys that had been discontinued or were rarely made, such as metal army men and old GI Joes. They didn’t ask a single question as he funded them and bought nearly every share. Now, after a series of expensive propaganda and serious reforms, they were successful and on their way to fame. All this was thanks to the Charge Card.

After acquiring such a great job he met his wife-to-be, Anna. She had flowing blond hair and, as John liked to brag, the figure of a model. At times he wondered if she stayed for him or his money, but he didn't really care. He had enough money to spare.

The light attached the intercom on his desk shone red as his secretary spoke from the other end, “Mr. Horner?”

“Yes?” John said with a grin. He liked being called Mr. Horner. Before the Charge Card no one had ever called him that.

“There‘s a man here to see you,” she said hesitantly. “He’s wearing… a hat with a golden feather sticking out of it.”

He knew immediately who it was. He pulled out his PDA and used the touch screen to pull up the calendar. “October first,” he said, reading directly from the screen. He turned back to the intercom. “Send him in.”

Over the past year the Collector had proven to John that whatever scheme came with the Charge Card, it wasn’t working. After all, with it he could replace whatever the Collector took each month. The whole time he'd been waiting for some unexpected twist to develop that would leave him broke, but so far nothing had happened.

The office’s doors swung open slowly, as if lightly pushed. Behind them stood the Collector wearing the black fedora that covered all but his smile.

“Good day, Mr. John,” said the Collector. He quickly took off his fedora, bowed, and replaced it in one rapid motion, leaving his face an ongoing mystery.

“Hello, Collector,” John said with a fake smile.

“I see you’ve done yourself some good with the Charge Card,” he stated as he walked around the room and studied each thing carefully, figuring out what would be an appropriate payment. “I wonder what I should take.”

“Actually,” John said, “I’m prepared this time.” He motioned for the Collector to come over.

“Is that so,” he said curiously. He walked behind the desk and stood by John. “So what have you got to show me.”

With a grin, he pulled open one of his drawers. Inside, neatly lined up according to value, were expensive objects such as gemstones and jewelry. The light shining in from the floor to ceiling window made the drawer’s contents shine.

The Collector looked over the objects, absorbing every detail and deformity, adding them up in his mind to determine if it was the right thing to take. After only a few moments he said, “I’m sorry to say that these aren’t an appropriate expense. We’ll have to find something else.”

“What are you talking about?” John exclaimed. “These are worth more than enough.”

“They may have monetary value, but I’m not interested in such things.”

He sighed in annoyance and shut the drawer. Since acquiring the Charge Card he‘d become impatient, and the Collector was taking longer than usual. He pulled out his pocket watch. It was old and nearly worthless, but his grandfather had given it to him as a boy, so he’d kept it for the sentimental value.

“And what is this?” the Collector asked. John looked up and saw him gazing curiously at the pocket watch. He reached out and touched it with his forefinger. “I think I’ll take this.”

John was taken back. “Why? It’s practically scrap metal.”

“But do you see it that way?” The Collector inquired. “It’s important to you, and so it’s an appropriate trade.” He grasped the pocket watch in his hand and took it. “Until next month, Mr. John.”

An unsettling feeling washed over John as he watched the Collector walk away, the pocket watch now in his breast pocket. He was almost out the door when John called out. “Wait!” He jumped out of his chair and ran to the Collector’s side. “If I get rid of the Charge Card now can I keep the pocket watch?” John had a very good job now, and he knew that he no longer needed the card.

“I’m sorry, but that’s not possible,” the Collector said with a smile. “However, if you want to get rid of the card, all you have to do is cut it in half.”

“And then that’s it?” John asked.

“No, it’s not.” The Collector’s smile faded. “If you cut the Charge Card in half you’ll have to give up everything you acquired through its use. In your case it would be this business and every other object you purchased with it.”

John was at a loss of words. Lose his business? He’d be back where he’d started, maybe worse. He could see it now. His wife would leave him, he’d be back in the poor house, he’d be a nobody again. He shuddered at the thought. He couldn’t let that happen.

“I’ll leave you to think about it,” the Collector said as he walked through the doors. The light tapping of his footsteps disappeared the moment he was out of view.

He trudged back to his desk and slumped into his chair. There was a thin layer of perspiration forming on his forehead and his eyes were empty. What was he going to do?

His cell phone rang from his pocket. He fidgeted nervously as he flipped it open and put it up to his ear. “Hello?” he croaked.

“John?” came his wife Anna’s voice.

“Yes?”

“I couldn’t wait until you got home to tell you this.” She sounded quite excited.

“What is it?” There was a pause on the other end.

“John, I’m pregnant.”

John’s heart nearly stopped. “Y-you’re pregnant?”

“Yes, I just did the test, and it’s positive.”

He started laughing happily, and for that moment he forgot about all his worries. He was going to be a father. There was nothing in the world more important to him than that fact. The Charge Card was nothing more than a problem to sort out later. Whether the consequences be great or small he didn’t care. For now his life was perfect, and he didn’t want to ruin it.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:32 pm
Crispy says...

I really liked this story, it had an essence of nature, and was flowing, i really enjoyed it, mail me if you have any more stories like this one...

A true masterpiece...
Chris Pegg!!

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm
ashleylee says...

i liked this one just as much as the first one. It was just a genuinely good story. :) PM me again if you write a third!
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew