z

Young Writers Society

Global Suicide-Chapter 1: Cause and Effect

Reviews: 1
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 am
JuniorLegacy24 says...

[pre] I hear it everyday...on the news, in the paper, and even from friends and family. I try to forget it all, but the constant reminder of it as a woodpecker pounding it into my head, keeps bringing it all back. I always wonder if what I've been told is the truth and facts or are they all just lies. I go outside each day and see it's evidence, but I still can't comprehend it.
Scientific data and geological theory states that if the Earth's axis tilted even one-thousandth of a centimeter or whatever, we would go into a world-wide disaster. It states that we would either freeze to death or burn to death...theoretically. But with our world, everything that's happening is caused by one thing, us. Nothing else is to blame, but us. This has nothing to do with animals, or the ozone layer, or anything else. Its because we have failed to do our job to take care of our Earth, and now we're paying for it.
But like I said, I think all this is a bunch of "flim-flam". I don't really believe in all of this...not one bit. I think that the government has cooked up another bogus conspiracy to get everybody freaked out and all hyper. One thing I do know...is that everything we are doing is going to build up at one point, and something is going to happen. I'm not sure what it is, but It's coming.[/pre]

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:59 am
Sythe says...

Hey. I'm supposed to do a couple reviews before I can post anything, so here I go.

I hear it everyday...on the news, in the paper, and even from friends and family.

This is a good opening sentence. It hooks, or grabs, the readers attention. Nice. Although, remember to put a space after you use an elips. (...)

This is really good; but also really short. If this is just a prologue, I commend you. I really want to know what is going on. Why is the Earth going to fail? How?

Awesome. A bit short, but it's short and to the point. Nicely done.

:Sythe:

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 am
gyrfalcon says...

Hey there, JuniorLegacy, and welcome to YWS! Like Sythe said, the Rules require you to do two reviews of other people's work before you post your own.
rules.php

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and welcome again!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

well, my attention was grabbed and you didn't bore me, so as far as that goes it's all good. you had some grammatical errors, but if you went back i'm sure you'd find them. but i guess if you asked nicely i'd point them out ;-)

but this bothered me and made me want to stop and reprimand the writer: "...everything that's happening is caused by one thing, us. Nothing else is to blame, but us. This has nothing to do with animals, or the ozone layer, or anything else. Its because we have failed to do our job to take care of our Earth, and now we're paying for it."

i'm sorry, but there are so many things wrong with this...NOT everything on earth happens because of humans(not even close to everything). disaster has and most likely will hit earth again eventually no matter what we do. and the earth does NOT need to be taken care of. nobody's taken care of it for billions of years, and it's still going.

*takes deep breath*. okay. rant over.
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello And welcome to YWS :D
This is intriguing and well written.

But please change your font, its hard to focus on what you've written with this font.

I agree with the review above me that not EVERYTHING is because of us. We could be hit by meteoroids and that wouldn't be our fault.

Maybe you meant to say something else. You were rather vague. Maybe you should prolong this and give more explanations.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Reviews: 1
Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am
JuniorLegacy24 says...

Ok as you see in my chapter 1, there are some grammatical errors that you have stated and thats fine. I think I am going to change this up a bit. Instead of this being my chapter 1, I will change this to my prologue. Sry for the inconvienence. Its just when I wrote it, I had about 2 pages. So if this part of the story (prologue) dosen't tell you alot, thats the point. I don't want to give everything away all at one time. I want to spread it out a bit.

Thanks for the (constructive) critism, I really appreciate it. :D

PS: Can anyone tell me how to change the font?

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 pm
BigBadBear says...

PS: Can anyone tell me how to change the font?

Don't set this in all in 'pre' font. When you posted, you must've clicked 'Pre'. Don't and the font won't be like that.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:54 am
WriterAddict12356 says...

Hi, I liked how u set up the backstory for ur main characters who ever they are... I liked the way u fit in current news, if it is, abt global warming, I liked the "woodpecker pounding in my head simile/analogy. Basically I like it.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:19 pm
Prosithion says...

I'm a firm believer in global warming, but as oneeyedunicornhunter said, not everything that happens to the planet is caused by humans.

Onto the actual review...

Literature, like poetry, must flow, and be smooth enough for the reader to read easily. This, unfortunately, wasn't smooth, nor did it flow. What ends up happening, is that the reader will have to reread a section over two or three times, before they can follow along. That's not good. You want the reader to be able to read through the passage with no apparent difficulty.

I get the feeling that this was meant as an intro, to familiarize the reader with the science of global warming. If this is the case, then you have to be more scientific. You need to sound like you've done your homework, and know exactly what you are talking about, down to the smallest detail. I didn't get that feeling from this passage. It seemed like you had a rudimentary knowledge of global warming, mainly from what you've seen on television, but you didn't go any farther. If this was meant as an informative passage, I must say that is wasn't very informative. I suggest doing some major research before the next rewrite.

On the lighter side, I liked the woodpecker analogy.

Keep at it. Better luck next time.

Cheers,
Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman