z

Young Writers Society

'Special' - Prologue

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 am
LaurenOutLoud says...

It was dusk; the sun was almost completely under the horizon. Out in the forest, near to the strange building that was about a mile away from Hapridge, a boy with green hair stands, a small breeze ruffling his hair.
--
Inside, a tallish man looks carefully over a screen with a picture on it in a dark room. He mumbles something to himself and the screen turns black.
--
Back outside, the boy slinks to the side of the white sided building, and he kicks a steel grate. It falls into the vent it was shielding and the boy pulls it out. He lays it off to the side as he crawls into to the over-big ventilation shaft.
--
The tall man pulls on a white lab coat and leaves the room; he is stopped for a moment by some other guys in white lab coats, but is soon walking down a long corridor. A sly smile forms on his face, his heart filling with hopes and expectations.
--
The boy looks down through the mesh of a grate, he is still in the ventilation shaft, which is overhead most of the rooms in the building. His long sleeves on his shirt get in his way a little as he opens the grate up. He jumps nimbly to the floor. Standing up, he peers cautiously around the room, seeing if anyone else happened to be in there with him. There is no one and he continues what he was doing before. The room is metallic, like most of the rooms, and has a large screen on one side. Slinking over to it, the boy looks up at the screen which is about as wide as his arms stretched out and goes from his knees up to around half a foot above his head. He presses a button located under the screen.
--
The man turns a corner, and enters a room. This room is quite a bit smaller than the others, with 4 rows of 4 small TVs. The man presses a button and one screen lights up and shows a live view of a different room, he presses the button again and again until the screen shows a room with the boy in it. “I have you now.” The man whispers.
--
The boy presses a few more buttons then searches the room. He finds many items, but only 2 things he takes. A piece of paper with various data on it, and a vile filled with a clear liquid. He does another search, to make sure nothing of interest was missed.
--
The man hurries down the hall, 3 other men in white lab coats following behind. “He’s in Room 224.” The man said back to his comrades.
“224?” One asked, “What’s he doing in-“
“What do you think he’s doing?! He’s doing what he always does! But this time we’ll catch him.” The taller man balled his hand into a fist in front of his face to emphasize his point.
“Now hurry! We must get him before he leaves!”
--
The boy shook the vile of clear liquid, and watched it slosh around in it’s container. Idiot. Leaving things like this in such an open room. No wonder you haven’t caught me yet. You take no precautions. He smiles.
--
“Here.” The man whispers and points at a door with 224 written on a piece of metal above it. He swiftly opens the door and the other 3 jump in and hold up miniature tasers, one shouts
“Stop right where you-“ Then he stops, “Are?” He turns, “Boss! He’s not in here!”
“What?!” the man yells and he looks in the room, “How the hell is he that fast?!”
--
Outside, the boy runs for the trees, the piece of paper folded neatly in his pocket and the vile stuck safely in his shirt. Better luck next time, doctor.
------------------
So there you go, that's the prologue to one of the novels I'm writing. I'd love some nice critique on any thing that should be changed or edited, or if anyone would actually like to read this book. :smt001
The whiskey is agreeable but the meat has gone bad

6 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 am
LaurenOutLoud says...

Oh whoops, I think I put this in the wrong topic. . .
I think this is actually Science Fiction. . .

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 am
KanenRenoir says...

I quite liked it. The only problem I had with it was you did a lot of telling. The number one rule of writing, at least in my opinion, is show don't tell. Here's a link that might help:
topic41426.html

Hope it helps. I'm not gonna do a serious critique, nit-picking over everything. I didn't see any errors while reading it. I can't wait to see what comes next. Oh, and if you pm a moderator and ask them nicely, they'll move the thread to the SciFi section.
Men's reach should exceed the stars... else, what's a heaven for?

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 am
Writersdomain says...

*moved to Science Fiction* :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

6 Reviews

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am
LaurenOutLoud says...

Ok, thanks! :smt001

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm
EmeraldcityWriter says...

I thought this was pretty good. It seems like you have a good plot going. I think you should put more of how the people are feeling the confidence of the boy or the anger of the doctor, things like that. It would give the story more element. Also you could probably do with a little less description just to add the the mystery theme you've already got going on.

6 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 pm
LaurenOutLoud says...

Ok, yeah, thanks, I really needed some feed back on this! :smt001

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 pm
Stori says...

Well, for one thing the section about each person should
be longer. I personally work a lot with multiple perspectives.
And about the telling and showing. 'Showing' uses more
specific descriptions than 'a cold street'.

"A frosty gust caused the green-haired boy to shiver.
If the wind kept picking up, he worried, he would have
to go indoors somewhere."

See what I mean?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:16 pm
kamorama says...

One of the specific things I noticed was that some of your sentances don't fit witht the rest of the paragraph. I don't know exactly what it is that bugs me when I read it, but I think it might be that your tenses change, but it isn't too serious. just read it over and see if you can find places where your words don't fit together. Another thing I think it might be is that your voice at some points is scientific and then you have times that are definatly normal teenage talk. It's one of those two things.

But I really like your plotline so far. Who is the boy? Why is the doctor after him? This is shaping out to be a good story.
"'It is some time since I last heard the sound of your shears. How long have you been Eavesdropping?'

'Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End and that's a fact!'"

- Sam Gamgee and Gandalf the Grey. The Fellowship of the Ring, Pg. 70.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm
asxz says...

Okay, so i intend to do a quick review because this is a quick piece.

First of all, I liked it. Very nice. Even though it's short, it has plot and it snatched fragments of what's going on, making you guess as to exactly what's going on. I know the kid's stealing something, for example, but I don't know what the clear liquid is, or what the papper is. Good work. I would read on.

Now for the length. Keep in mind that this is a prologue, and they can be as long/short as you like. I like it at this length. because even though you haven't had time to build up suspense (will the boy get caught) or anything like that, it's good. I'm not sure how to explain it, really, but I would keep it this length. This is because, if you did put more showing in, then you would end up in some long-winded explaination about why he's there, how many times he's done it before, and how easy/hard it is to catch the boy. I like it this length because it keeps us guessing.

Last thing: “Now hurry! We must get him before he leaves!”

Just make that "Hurry!" because you wouldn't say something that long if you were actually in a hurry. Wasting time, you see.
That's all I could find, and I'll be wanting to read more of this. If you do continue this into a book (Which i am severely hoping you do) the I would say you should add more detail. Just because this is a prolouge makes it special. So, show, not tell, but you've used telling to good effect here!

Pm me when the next part's up? Would appreciate!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

6 Reviews

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:03 am
LaurenOutLoud says...

Ok, thanks.
Yeah, I was having some trouble with the tenses. :?
Thanks again for the feed back. :smt001

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright