103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:10 pm
Dynamo says...

"...and so I said to the headmaster, 'his nose was already like that!'"

"And that's when they gave you a detention?"

"Yeah, that's pretty much it."

"So, what have we learned today?"

"Use somethin sharp to cut down a branch, don't pull it off the tree with your bare hands. I just hope my teacher's nose is gonna be ok."

Zel had just finished telling Darc about what happened during his wilderness survival class. He told his story on they way towards the dorm area. The students were told to find some wood to make a fire. They were supposed to find wood off the ground but Zel decided to save himself the effort and take a big branch straight from the tree. He tried to rip it off with his own hands, but when the teacher came by to check on his progress the branch swung back, smacking him in the face and breaking his nose. Zel spent two hours after school in the study hall for what happened.

It turns out that Darc has the same Combat class as Zel and the same International Intelligence class as Riley.

They stopped in front of the three story apartments where they lived. "Hey, I managed to book the trainin area for nine O'clock. You wanna go smash up some sentinels?" Zel asked.

"You go ahead, I think I'm going to go for a drive before I turn in." Darc was tired, the first day of school was always a shock to the senses after spending two months doing nothing. All he wanted to do right now was to relax and clear his head.

Zel shrugged, "Alright, suit yourself."

"Don't stay up too long, we still have school in the morning."

"What are you, my mother?" Zel asked jokingly. "See ya tomorrow." He ran off before Darc could say bye.

Darc headed for the underground parking lot. Other than a few students in the academy, including him, the only people who could afford owning something to drive were those who graduated and were full-fledged mercenaries. With all the taxes being raised after World War III it became even more expensive to own a vehicle.

That is, unless you built it yourself straight from scratch. Darc's motorcycle was one such an exception.

He walked through the parking lot and found his bike. It was straight black with a slight tint of purple, everything else such as the pipes and rims were brass colored. Its body was huge and heavily plated with armor; its wheels are as thick as a truck's tires. The bike is much bigger than any other road legal motorcycle, but Darc never drove it on public streets anyway. It is more like a small tank on two wheels than a bike.

Darc had spent three years working on this motorcycle and had just finished it recently. He makes good money selling his swords to the academy. Half of his profits are spent on his tuition and essentials such as food and clothing, the other half he spends on materials for making more swords. Part of his sword money went towards building this bike.

He climbed into the seat and turned on the engine. The motorcycle roared to life, its engine louder than any street legal bikes. He shifted it into gear and left the parking lot.

He brought his bike up to one of the old highways. Because of faster public transportation, such as bullet trains, and the sky-way roads that are built a few miles above the ground, no one ever uses the old highways anymore. This particular highway stretched out across the countryside. Darc usually rides his bike to one end of the highway and back.

He watched as the highway lights flew by one-by-one, the stars were barely visible because of the city lights. Darc looked up at the full moon, he was always amazed with its size. The moon is very far away from the Earth, but it looks a lot closer because of how big it was.

A sudden white hot pain shot through his head, it caused Darc to swerve a little into the other lane when he grabbed his head. As quickly as the pain arrived it was gone. "What the hell was that?" he asked himself.

Shouts and the roars of motors could be heard from behind. Darc looked over his shoulder and saw a group of people riding on motorcycles, waving around crowbars and chains.

"Highway bandits." He muttered to himself. Highway bandits are groups of motorcycle riding punks who drive around on the old highways; robbing anyone hey see along the way.

The bandits drove up and surrounded Darc with their bikes. One of the bandits pulled up beside him. "Hey buddy, nice ride. Hand it over and we might not hurt ya!" All the other bandits laughed.

Darc punched the punk square in the face, knocking him off his bike. The guy's bike smashed into another motorcycle behind it.

He watched in his rear-view mirror as the two bikes skid down the road, that's when he saw the punk behind him reaching for his gun. Darc twisted the handle brakes to the point where he thought they would break off. The punk behind him drove into the back of his bike. Darc's bike had armor protecting its tires. That same armor ripped through the guy's front wheel causing him to wipe out.

The punk to Darc's right rammed the side of the bike with his own. The guy lifted his crowbar and brought it down over his head. Darc took his hand off the handle bar and caught the crowbar, and then pulled it out of the guy's hand and tossed it down the road. While their bikes were still pushed up against each other he pressed a button on his dashboard. The sides of his bike shot open, sending the bandit's bike into the highway barriers.

The parts of the bike that opened were actually hidden compartments that held some of Darc's swords. He built his bike like this so he'd never be caught unarmed in situations like this. Each side held three swords, that's six in total. He grabbed one of the swords from the right compartment, it was as long as the sword he used this morning but only half the width. It was one of his disposable swords that he didn't mind losing; it's easy to lose your weapon when fighting on motorcycles at high speeds. He closed up the compartments and looked back to the battle.

The bandit in front of him suddenly slid his bike on an angle to try and force him to stop. Darc sped up and rammed into the guy's bike. Darc built his motorcycle to be a tank, so it smashed the punk's bike into the air with ease. The bike flew overhead and landed on another guy's bike.

Darc looked to his left to check on the other bandits. One of them drove directly beside him, the punk was pointing his gun at him. Darc lifted his sword from his right and brought it to his left. The bandit shot his gun, but Darc managed to bring his sword into the line of fire to shield himself from the bullet.

Darc drove his bike closer to the punk, while at the same time using his sword to deflect more of the gunshots. Some of the bullets missed his sword and hit the side of the bike; this was why he put so much armor on it. Thankfully, none of the bullets managed to hit his body.

Before the bandit could reload his gun and pull off another round Darc swiped his sword, slicing off the barrel of the gun. He aimed the end of his sword at the bike's wheel and lunged it through the rims. The metal holding the motorcycle's wheel together shattered and fell apart. The guy's bike flipped forward and crashed into the road.

Darc brought his sword back to his right. He dragged it on the road to create sparks to try and slow down the guys behind him. It worked. Some of the bandits slowed down to keep away from the sparks, one of them moved too quickly and wiped out, taking two other guys with him.

Still dragging his sword on the road Darc moved up to the left side of the last bandit that was in front of him. The punk swung his chain at Darc's bike. The first swing bounced off the side of the bike.Darc blocked the second swing with his sword, but the chain wrapped itself around the blade. The bandit tugged the sword out of his hand and tossed it down the road. Before the guy could bring his chain back to attack again Darc reached over and grabbed the guy's handlebar. He pulled on the brake as hard as he could and released the handle as the punk's bike jerked back and wiped out.

Darc looked into his rear-view mirror. The rest of the bandits got wise and began to back off, slowing their speed to a stop and turning around. He could have gone on like this for as long as it took, he would have thrown all the highway bandits off the road if it meant keeping his bike. Since they were retreating there was no reason for him to keep fighting.

Darc revved his engine and drove on into the night.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:08 am
Lampshade says...

Good job Dynamo a very nice piece of writing I like how you got into the action as It caught me up in it and kept me hooked. However I do have some problems. You used the present tense describing method again DON'T DO IT. Not only does it sound clumsy but it also confuses the reader. Also if Darc is supposedly so poor where does he get the supplies to build this sweet and crazily powerful bike??? I'm sorry if I was a little harsh on you dynamo but you've really got to stop that present tense describing method.
About my name...don't ask

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:53 pm
Karma says...

I agreee with Lampshade, and you might also wantto use the work\d "punk" less, it gets kinda old. It's a great story, though!
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

If I had control over the quote generator, I feel like I would put half of YWS in it.
— Kaia