z

Young Writers Society

Alone - The Beginning

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:42 am
Davidude says...

Couple of things to add:

I'm pretty sure it's aeroplanes, not airplanes or air planes, but maybe thats a UK thing.

You wrote "showing of" when i think you meant "showing off".

Apart from that, I agree with the other comments. Just a make sure you don't make your sentences too long and make sure the meaning is always clear.

P.S you say "the panic was indescribable," Then go on to describe it. I found this slightly ironic.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 pm
summergrl13 says...

Awesome! I really don't need to edit this because others have already said it for me. This is really good. But I have a few questions to ask:

1. But how can it be the end of the world if it only happened in New York City?

2. Does it resemble the movie 'I Am Legend', because it kind of reminds me of that.

3. How many more chapters do you plan to have in here?

4. Is it more like 'Independence Day' rather than 'I Am Legend' because it reminds me a bit of both :D.

5. When are you gonna post more?!?!?! Because I am on the edge of my seat and I am dieing to hear more of the story!

*And sylver, we've always said airplanes in America, so I guess it's okay since it's in NYC. But I wonder if it's different in Aussie and if she should change it into the regular Aussie way. Hrmmm... I shall ponder about it :D*
I will review for you! PM about it if you need one!

Come check out my new story at topic53543.html

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

<<<<Post moved up to actual story for Novel formatting>>>
Spoiler! :
All I was worried about was myself. And the small child thrashing in my arms.

Slowly sound was returning to me. I could hear snippets of screams. The roaring of the other planes stabbing at my ear drums. Explosions clawing into my head.

Where was my wife? My other child? Who was doing this? Terrorists? Why? How? These thoughts flicked through my head with a scary swiftness, presenting themselves to me for the barest of milliseconds before being snatched away and thrown aside for the next fleeting insight.

A man howling with fear barged into my shoulder, spinning me around 180 degrees, knocking me off my feet. I sprawled onto the park grass, unintentionally squashing Molly under my stocky frame. Intense pain blossomed from my shoulder to my lower back, my head and upper legs, and I tried vainly to prevent crushing my daughter as person after person stampeded over us to get away from the bombs that would continue falling.

A sharp crack confirmed my suspicion of a splintered arm, and a numbing kick to the head made me nauseous and my eyes water.

Crying and moaning in pain, I attempted to crawl to something, anything that would give me some cover from the panicked crowds. Shuffling Molly carelessly underneath me, I slowly made my way through the sea of tangled legs, crumpled bodies of people who weren't as lucky as me, and stray debris to an overturned picnic table.

Sobbing with relief, I rolled into the shelter of safety it offered.

I looked at Molly.

And screamed myself hoarse.

Her head sat oddly upon her shoulders. A blood trail trickled a fine thin path down her chin from a grotesquely open mouth, the tongue lolling out the side, remind me absurdly of a panting dog. What could only be bone protruded from the side of her neck, glistening with thick red blood and pink marrow.

The world around me slowed. I saw motion frame by frame, as if I could take pictures with my eyes and I was in review mode.

Molly was motionless. Every frame of her was the same.

Still.

Still, silent.

Still, silent, and dead.

"Molly." I mouthed, "Molly."
Last edited by seeminglymeaningless on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:36 pm
hershey says...

While I was reading this, I could see everything in my head; you described it so well. However, I gotta agree with eaglefire91 and ask if the f-word is really necessary. Other than that, keep writing, I want to see the rest of this.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm
Thefadedphotograph says...

I enjoyed reading this a lot. I'd say that my only problem with it was the beginning. The main character was standing in a park under a withered tree and then there was this dog, affected by the devastation of the fallout. I think that you could have picked a better first image to start the story with. Something like, the main charcter walking about his destroyed home, reminiscing on the past and all the destroyed memories. But, despite what I've said, it was still a good beginning---just not the most creative, that's all.

Otherwise, I really liked this story and was left wondering what happened after the bomb dropped.
"I know I can't slow down, I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
Oh no, there aint no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good." ---Cage the Elephant 'Ain't No Rest for the Wicked'

377 Reviews

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 am

<<<<Post moved up to actual story for Novel formatting>>>
Spoiler! :
Molly was motionless. Every frame of her was the same.

Still.

Still, silent.

Still, silent, and dead.

"Molly." I mouthed, "Molly."

I shook her. Slowly at first, but when she didn't react to the sound of my voice, or the ache in my heart, or the soft shaking, I started to shake her harder. Soon I was shaking her so hard her head was flopping all over the place, splattering blood on her once sky-blue sun dress, and over my singlet. Suddenly her head hit my forearm, and she bit me. I cried out in surprise, throwing her away from me in an action that was entirely in reflex. Her leg hit the edge of the picnic table before she landed in the path of fleeing men, women and children.

I watched, my eyes watering in horror, as she was stood on, trampled, pummelled into the ground, until she was an unrecognisable lumpy thing. It was not my daughter any more. Molly was gone. In her place was a lifeless corpse. I shrieked, howled my anger into the sky. People around me continued to stampede out of Central Park, separated from their families, running for their lives.

Another bomb hit the dirt close enough to me that I felt the immediate heat wave push past me, blowing my hair around my face, and my ears pressurised painfully. The actual sound of the explosion came a split second later. The explosive shock wave made bodies fly through the air. Some of the bodies were dismembered; legs and heads became projectiles along with the natural shrapnel of rocks, dirt and branches. I couldn't hear the fragmentation hitting the thick wooden slats behind me, but I could feel every thump. A torso landed beside my hiding place behind the overturned picnic table; it was mottled with bruises from internal bleeding and was smoking around the edges.

I could see people screaming as they were hurtled through the air and how still they were once they impacted on surrounding trees or buildings. Fires from the first few bombs were spreading, the initial area incinerated from the extreme temperature of the blast. Craters filled with smoke were everywhere I laid my eyes on, and I could not believe that this game of Roulette had not claimed me.

As I regained my hearing, the sounds of the jets screeching overhead started to die down. They continued forward, dropping bombs in their V formations over the city of New York.

377 Reviews

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey everybody :) I'm not quite sure why I never once replied to the comments on this, so I thought I'd do some catching up and reply now. I find that answering the questions people ask about my story make things so much clearer to myself. So even if the people who once commented on this might never see my replies, or be able to accept my apologies, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to comment on my work.

Replies below :)

----------------------

~nariel~

One, this was a very good story. I like how the story is going so far and your writing seems to have a very 'grown up' feeling around it, which is good. Your ending was also very good; it made me want to continue reading. The only thing I have to say about this is that your characters and dialogue fell a little flat. They weren't really interesting.

But that's about it. Very good story and I can't wait to read more!

You're right, I really need to flesh out my characters. As it is, the dialogue is very minimal, and there probably won't be very nice dialogue when my characters end up talking to each other after the Incident. Understandably, conversation between people who have lost their loved ones isn't going to be very happy, and hopefully I'll get you guys wincing.

--------------

mindoverflow812

it think this is a very good story. keep writing!

Thank you! :)

--------------

scotty.knows

Yeah, this was a very good prologue to a post-apocalyptic nightmare land fraught with all nature of mutant zombie-dogs, mutant zombie-rats, and plain old mutant zombies. It was pretty neat and I really had to prod to find things to grip at. I'm probably telling you something you already know, but you shouldn't start a sentence with a conjuction... like and.

I know I shouldn't, technically, start a sentence with "and", but sometimes it just fits. And anyway, doesn't it flow better that way? ;)

I found myself wishing for more. The grammar was pretty much impeccable, so I can't rat you out on poor usage. There were a few places where the punctuation might have been off, but I wasn't quite sure so I didn't make a big deal out of it.

I'll certainly go back over it and check for weird punctuation mistakes.

It would be written, "an Uzi" not "a Uzi". This was probably my favorite line, but I don't think a suicide bomber would be running around with an Uzi. 1st of all, the Uzi is an Israeli weapon. The only suicide bombers I can think of have been Arabs, and they don't like to use Israeli weapons from what I've heard from my friend in the CIA. 2nd reason he probably wouldn't be running around with an Uzi: Suicide bombers don't tend to shoot before they blow themselves up. That said, I remember the Benazir Bhutto assassin shot her in the head before he detonated his explosive vest... the supposed character in your story isn't really an assassin, but more of a homicidal lunatic, though.It's not a big deal, but you might want to rework it.

Yup, I always get mixed up with U's. It doesn't sound right sometimes, "an university" as opposed to "a university", see? :P And with regards to me failing with the weapons categorisation, that was pure Did Not Do the Research Syndrome. But in hindsight, would the average American male (and I mean average), know what suicide bombers ran around with? The main character was pretty traumatised at the time of the thought too, we should give him a break :P

Look on the bright side, all I could find to critique was the use of an Uzi instead of something like a Kalashnikov. Good job.

Will definitely try not to make such a critical research error again :P No one wants to be picked up on irregularities :P

-------------

Kaliber

Hm, i love it. it makes me want to keep reading, so, keep writing! love the story, exelent story line, couldn't find any mistakes that i know of. good work

Thank you :) It's pleasing to know that this story induces the urge to keep reading. I hope I achieve this with later additions.

-------------

MidnightVampire

I loved this. Loved it loved it loved. You got me hooked after you said 'and we watched as the first bomb dropped.' I also like how it took the character a while to figure out it was a bomb, because it takes people a little time to realize this sorta thing. Keep writing!

*nods* That's exactly what I was aiming for - this is an average American citizen. He's not a soldier, or an arms dealer, he's an average Joe, who suddenly gets thrust into a world of chaos and destruction, and the happy ending he envisioned his life leading to has just been ripped away. How does an average man cope in this situation?

--------------

intheblowinwind

This is very good. You capture the mind of your character very well, and believably. The wandering of his mind is how people really think. At times your description seems a tad passive, but most of the time it's spot-on. I don't understand why you have this set in New York when you clearly don't know about it because you live in Australia. It is always better to set a story in a place that you can describe.

:P Yes, I admit that this story will be hard to continue, because I'll have to research the surroundings of NY, but I didn't want to set it in Australia, because there is already a fantastic series about people surviving a war in Australia, by John Mardsen, and I don't want my story inching anywhere close to his. Which of course it isn't, considering the setting I chose and the means of the war, but still :P That's why it's set in America.

---------------

KJ

I very much enjoyed it. You have a solid beginning, and it was very well-written. Sorry I'm so unhelpful. I found nothing worth pointing out, other than that it was very good.

Cheers :) I hope I can maintain the solidness of the beginning. I wouldn't like to start the story off really well and then slowly deteriorate its quality.

----------------

RoryLegend

I have to tell you just out of moral scrupples that I have not read this all the way... But what I did read I thought was very very good. I do like the grown up feeling you get from this story and even though it hurts to hear how happy this guy was it is very important to the story. I like the descrpitiveness of the part just before the bombs dropped, when he is talking about the planes and the formation. Also I really liked the part where his son talked and then wiped his snot on the grass beacuse little kids really do it..my littles brothers do it all the time and its disgusting but it was a good element of the story. Nicely done. I'm kind of curious to find out what this guy looks like. I don't know if you descibed him at all in the parts I havn't ogtten to yet but I'm just having a hard time picturing him. I'm anxious to read the rest and then I'm sure I will want to read more so definatly keep writing!

I'm glad you liked the part about the children - at the time I thought the main character's family was pretty flimsy, and I still think that, so I'm going to do some heavy editing to make his family more *real*. This will mean that the reader becomes attached to these characters who die straight after, but I think that'll make the story better.

Regarding the main character's appearance, I left it deliberately vague so the reader could fill in the gaps themselves and replace his characteristics with those that they believe suit him.

-------------------

Parasky

I really enjoyed this. It was very descriptive, and the foreshadowing was amazing. You managed to tell me exactly what would happen, then how it happened and the story was vivid enough that I felt like I should scream to the people to run for cover! I like the way you caught the main characters emotions, the way he thought only of himself and his child; the way he was so afraid that everything else was drowned out; sound, thought, morality, logic. I have to say, you should keep adding onto this. It's just too good to stop here.

:D I tend to fail at foreshadowing (as Reprisal has painfully shown), but thanks for the vote of confidence in this case :) I like the idea of "drowning out" emotions, so I'll probably end up stealing that and putting it in there somewhere :P

-------------------

eaglefire91

Wow! So, reading this I realized you do what I don't do enough! =D That was very good. I've never been able to successfully write foreshadowing, but you do it as if it is first nature to you. Also, I really liked the fact that you painted an image in the reader's mind. (That is also something I don't do very well.)

Woah, it's definitely not first nature to me :P I find it extremely funny that most people have enjoyed the foreshadowing here, as I didn't expect it to bring such a positive response :) I like the idea of painting a picture in your mind with my words, and I'm really glad that I managed to do that for you. If I can get that good at writing that everyone has a picture painted when they read it, I'll be over the moon.

The one thing I would like ask you though is this. Is it really necessary to have the language in the story? I mean sure, in this day in age everyone cusses and it is probably heard throughout school. But does it really add anything to your story? (Maybe I'm just being naive...)

*cringes* It's always a moral thing, regarding language, isn't it. If you put yourself in his position, however, would all your internal thoughts be about rainbows and icecream? The main character is pretty broken at that point in the story, so it's fair to assume that his normal barriers about appropriate word usage have been torn to shreds.

Other than that, it was a wonderful story. It was very interesting and very descriptive. Keep on writing, I look forward to reading more!

Thank you :) There are some places that I thought the descriptions were lacking, so I'll try and keep on par with everything else I write for this :)

----------------

Davidude

Couple of things to add: I'm pretty sure it's aeroplanes, not airplanes or air planes, but maybe thats a UK thing.

You wrote "showing of" when i think you meant "showing off". Apart from that, I agree with the other comments. Just a make sure you don't make your sentences too long and make sure the meaning is always clear.

P.S you say "the panic was indescribable," Then go on to describe it. I found this slightly ironic.

Thanks for picking up the typos. We call planes airplanes in Australia, but I'll have to do my research and see if Americans call planes aeroplanes or airplanes. lol, that does seem ironic, I'll go and change that to make it less... ridiculous :P

---------------

summergrl13

Awesome! I really don't need to edit this because others have already said it for me. This is really good. But I have a few questions to ask:

1. But how can it be the end of the world if it only happened in New York City?

I never said it was the end of the entire world ;) But yes, you're right, this event happened all over America. Reading further will reveal who/what country/countries did it and their/his/her motives.

2. Does it resemble the movie 'I Am Legend', because it kind of reminds me of that.

Hmm. I Am Legend is a very good movie, so I take that comparison as an awesome compliment. There's no where in my plot about the main character curing the zombie virus with the help of a woman who believes in God, however, so I'd say the only resemblance would be the setting later on in the story (though the setting would not be as overgrown - Will Smith's character in that movie was in that city for *years*. My main character's story starts on July 4th and ends sometime around the beginning of October).

3. How many more chapters do you plan to have in here?

If I can get some more positive reactions, I hope on writing a lot more of this. I really like the promise of action this novel will make me write, and I'm hoping I can juggle Reprisal (my fantasy), with this, Alone (a science fiction?).

4. Is it more like 'Independence Day' rather than 'I Am Legend' because it reminds me a bit of both :D.

Another Will Smith movie :P Someone reading these comments might assume that I've just watched too much Will Smith and decided to mesh the stories together :P But no, I chose Independence Day for the day of destruction, as it's a celebration Americans attend, so a bomb strike would be sure to get a large amount of a town populace who had all gathered into one place. There is also no alien invasion involved in Alone, so yeah :P

5. When are you gonna post more?!?!?! Because I am on the edge of my seat and I am dieing to hear more of the story!

*grins* I will try to post more regularly, but university is being demanding, and I find myself procrastinating on this site too much as it is. I won't make any promises in fear of breaking them, but I do plan on writing more of this.

--------------

hershey

While I was reading this, I could see everything in my head; you described it so well. However, I gotta agree with eaglefire91 and ask if the f-word is really necessary. Other than that, keep writing, I want to see the rest of this.

As I said to Eagle, the language isn't a question of necessity, but of normality. By September, the main character's mind is almost completely gone - he no longer remembers, or cares about proper language etiquette.

--------------

Thefadedphotograph

I enjoyed reading this a lot. I'd say that my only problem with it was the beginning. The main character was standing in a park under a withered tree and then there was this dog, affected by the devastation of the fallout. I think that you could have picked a better first image to start the story with. Something like, the main charcter walking about his destroyed home, reminiscing on the past and all the destroyed memories. But, despite what I've said, it was still a good beginning---just not the most creative, that's all.

Otherwise, I really liked this story and was left wondering what happened after the bomb dropped.

I like your constructive criticism :) I chose to begin the story as I did because it was simple. You're meant to pick up the main character's bitterness, become familiar with the setting of a post-apocalyptic event and learn a little about how the character thinks. I didn't want to reveal the loss of his family so keenly, which is what would have happened if I introduced him crying over his daughter's Barbie dolls, or reminiscing in an Italian restaurant where he and his wife enjoyed eating. There's plenty enough of that later on ;)

-----------

Well, that's everything wrapped up until the next comment! Thanks again guys, I appreciate every review and comment.

-Jai

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:45 am
RacheDrache says...

Two things, for the record. One, you have the best bribes ever! I mean, honestly. Seriously. It's almost ridiculous how good your bribes are. Just when I said, "You know, I'm done with reviewing today," I saw those adorable faces. Couldn't resist, needless to say. Just couldn't resist.

The second thing, for the record. My shoddy job of skimming the other comments led me to the one about the airplanes. And in fact, it is airplanes over here in the States.

And, on that note, your main character seemed American enough to me. Nice, solid typical-American names for the kids, and while I can't speak about the authenticity of New York, since I've never been there, nothing caught me off guard about that.

You have a few spelling errors running amok, and if you really wanna talk precision attention to details, the American spelling of 'grey' is 'gray,' but I don't really care about spelling and grammar mistakes because they're just typos.

So, onto other stuff! In ramble form.

While I had no trouble believing this guy was American, I didn't realize he was a guy until the flashback section. This is probably just me associating the gender of a first person narrator with the writer, but you might want to man-ify it some. How you go about this, I'm not entirely sure. But, probably obsessive attention to word choice, and then, if you go pick up a book with a first person male narrator, picking apart the sentence structures used and the types of details noticed and making like a mirror.

On the other hand, when the flashback section came around, I had no trouble believing the dude was a dude, either, so, eh. Who knows what I mean.

One thing I did find somewhat odd was the acknowledgment of the voices in his head. That, perhaps, was what made me think he was a female during the first part. It didn't seem... authentic, those voices. He was far too comfortable with them, yet clearly not fully insane; he was too aware. So, you might want to make it more subtle, maybe just put the thoughts there in italics, with perhaps a 'a voice said' attribution, or none at all, and leave it at that for a while. That is, if the voices aren't just something he invented to entertain himself with.

I suppose I should have said that I like this and that you should continue back at the beginning of this, but I was distracted by puppies.

My only concern is that New York and apocalypse movies seem to be going hand-in-hand. Others already mentioned Independence Day and I Am Legend. And while this doesn't seem to be a "Save the world!" action novel or a "Save the world!" action adventure horror drama, and seems to have far more psychological elements... You might consider changing the city, just to change things up. Los Angeles, or San Francisco, or Washington D.C. (and the president would be there at the celebration, too, making the bombing make even more sense!), or Seattle, or Miami--take your pick of big hulking American cities.

With the help of Google Earth, you can be at all of those cities clear over in... Australia!... and be able to get the feel for it and everything. And a Google Image search of "Washington D.C. Fourth of July Picnic/Parade" will give you all the pictures you might need.

And, you avoid falling into the typical post-apocalypse in New York City trap. Poor New York needs a break, anyway, if you ask me.

And, on a final note, the cussing did not bother me at all, and I'm glad it's there. Still, it did catch me off guard, because as far as I remember, it's just the one F-bomb hanging out there all by its lonesome. I kind of like that, because it's used by the official meaning of the word, and it gives you the feeling that this guy just says things as they are; he's not nicefying anything, but nor is he gutter-ifying everything. So, definitely keep it, and maybe add some other words in there just so it isn't the one pimple in this--but only if they really, really, really fit.

I also say that you should most definitely continue. I'm interested to see where this goes, and how you handle the apocalypse. I might not be the best person to ask about it, because I do have a bit of an obsession with apocalypses (if I had a dime for every time I had an apocalypse dream...) but your character's compelling, and this seems more about his own psychological apocalypse than the bombing of America to smithereens, so...

Yep. Write on, write on.

Rach

(P.S. Now, about that kitten...)
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:54 am
CSheperd says...

i thought it was pretty good, and i'm always a big fan of apocolyptc stories. The description in it was incredible as well. It was a very enjoyable read and i hope there's more to come.

C.S.

377 Reviews

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:07 am

RachaelElg wrote:Two things, for the record. One, you have the best bribes ever! I mean, honestly. Seriously. It's almost ridiculous how good your bribes are. Just when I said, "You know, I'm done with reviewing today," I saw those adorable faces. Couldn't resist, needless to say. Just couldn't resist.

:P Thanks Rach. Sorry for the uber late reply. Been busy with uni and procrastination (the two go hand in hand).

The second thing, for the record. My shoddy job of skimming the other comments led me to the one about the airplanes. And in fact, it is airplanes over here in the States.

*nods* Thanks for that, it's good to know.

You have a few spelling errors running amok, and if you really wanna talk precision attention to details, the American spelling of 'grey' is 'gray,' but I don't really care about spelling and grammar mistakes because they're just typos.

Eek. While I didn't forget that there were different ways of spelling things (realized, realised), I hadn't thought about how it'd affect the authenticity of my story. *sigh* Hmm... Maybe I should change the setting to Australia, like some of the other people suggested? I'd have to change the dates around to something that most of the world celebrates... Yes, I think I'll do that. Yay.

While I had no trouble believing this guy was American, I didn't realize he was a guy until the flashback section. On the other hand, when the flashback section came around, I had no trouble believing the dude was a dude, either, so, eh. Who knows what I mean.

lol, fair enough. I'll try to make the beginning more obvious about how he's a male. I'm sure I can add something about... beer? Or something typically male to make him a him.

One thing I did find somewhat odd was the acknowledgment of the voices in his head. That, perhaps, was what made me think he was a female during the first part. It didn't seem... authentic, those voices. He was far too comfortable with them, yet clearly not fully insane; he was too aware. So, you might want to make it more subtle, maybe just put the thoughts there in italics, with perhaps a 'a voice said' attribution, or none at all, and leave it at that for a while. That is, if the voices aren't just something he invented to entertain himself with.

By the time of the foreshadowing, the main character is almost completely insane. I'll have to research schizophrenia, multiple personality disorders and insanity a bit more to make it more realistic. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that the voices don't quite yet seem authentic :)

My only concern is that New York and apocalypse movies seem to be going hand-in-hand.

You know, I can't even remember why I chose NY. I haven't even been there. Some place like San Francisco with the hilly terrain and Alcatraz as a defensive place where people are holding up, both of which I have been to, would make more sense. Both of which would be uber cool. But I think I might just change it to some place I know intimately.

I also say that you should most definitely continue. I'm interested to see where this goes, and how you handle the apocalypse. I might not be the best person to ask about it, because I do have a bit of an obsession with apocalypses (if I had a dime for every time I had an apocalypse dream...) but your character's compelling, and this seems more about his own psychological apocalypse than the bombing of America to smithereens, so...

lulz, yes. Wouldn't it be horrible if the ending was, "He woke."

Thank you AGAIN, Rachael, for a fantastic review!

-----

CSheperd

Thanks for taking the time to read and review :) If you have any questions about YWS or need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask.

- Jai

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 am
NotSoOrdinaryGirl says...

Hello seaminglymeaningless,

I really liked your story. It seemed very interesting and made me scroll down and read more! I read it over and over again and I liked it how you described everything and the situation you're in so clearly. I especially liked,
I sprawled onto the park grass, unintentionally squashing Molly under my stocky frame. Intense pain blossomed from my shoulder to my lower back, my head and upper legs, and I tried vainly to prevent crushing my daughter as person after person stampeded over us to get away from the bombs that would continue falling.

I liked this paragraph too ,
I was standing in what remained of a park near the New York University. A stray dog - they were all strays these days - sniffed at a charred garbage can a few meters away from me. I was at half a mind to whistle at it, desperate for some company other than my own, and the resident voices in my head.

I don't think there's any criticism since this is a very good story ^^ keep writing <3
I believe we're about to acomplish something amazing <3

a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn