z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 7 of "Tainted Life" by Callum Marshall.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 pm
Calmal says...

This Chapter is seen through the eyes of the failed Braxton rebellion leader.
Chapter 7: For the Greater Good.
Failed Rebellion Leader Rex Jic.

So this was it. Two years of successful strikes across the Spiral Arm followed by three years of stealthy exile and planning had all come down to this. The last stand. The last chance for Jic to do what was needed to be done to save the Braxton people. He and every one of his remaining rebellion members knew he didn’t stand a chance in Ikng of surviving the Ducis’ attack.
So why would they stay here? Preparing to defend a failure? Because they saw through the lies of Rex Vons and his puppy dog Das. Because they were willing to fight for the right thing, even if it meant signing their own death sentences. These were brave men and Jic owed them all his life, many times over. Many had been with him since the very beginning and more had willingly joined from the liberated worlds. None had ever turned and fled without his order.
Someone had tipped the corrupt false leader off. It could not be any of his men. Perhaps one of those pathetic bureaucrats or a falsely loyal villager had managed to send a message off world. There was no other explanation. As he walked towards a large anti-personnel turret, Jic pursued his options. A Firefight would be useless, they were outnumbered and outgunned. Attempting to escape would also be pathetic; the few hidden transports that remained would be spotted the moment they took off. Besides it would be a dishonour to his troops for him to flee.
This would call for something sneakier, guerrilla fighting perhaps. No, if Jic knew the Ducis, which he did, he wouldn’t give him an inch. He would have brought his most vicious warriors ready to tear anyone limb to limb for even looking at Vons wrong. The only option left was terrible, the enormity of it staggered his mind. He approached the group who seemed to be in some argument. He waved down their salutes.
“Situation report.”
“We have estimated we are outnumbered by a margin of 15 to 1 and have an almost negligible chance of winning in a Firefight.” The lead male reported.
“I already know that. Can you see any other alternatives?” Jic questioned.
One of the smaller ones was about to speak up but was kept quiet by a stern look from the others.
“You, do you wish to say something?”
“Well…” the young one started
“Ignore him sire, it goes against the Code” the leader spoke up.
“Did I ask you?” Jic warned “Come on, what is it?”
“I have been preparing a battle plan if such a situation as our own arose. It may cost the lives of many troops but if properly executed, could ensure your safe departure.”
“You are asking me to flee in the hours before a battle?”
“I am afraid there is no alternative sir. This is the only way that will ensure the cause can live on.”
“Well speak boy, we haven’t got long.” Jic demanded impatiently.
“First we will need to get the transports ready for flight. Our engineers must attach a Glyuray drive to your escape pod whist set up a defence able to withstand the attack until you have safely left the system. You must return to Ecav and continue you work there. However this is only a blueprint.”
Without a second thought the Rex issued his commands to the individuals.
“What are we waiting for? You two get the pilots to start up the transports. And you go rustle up the best engineer who can attach a Glyuray engine to the pod. The rest of you get these defences up and running. Whats your name boy?”
As the others diligently carried out their duties, the honoured soldier said one word.
“Hoce”
“Well, Hoce, you can come with me. Until we get to Ecav I want you at my side.”
“You want me to come with you?”
“That’s what I said. Now come, we must get ready to leave. Ecav and my people wait.”
Calmal

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:21 am
Nate says...

I haven't read the other chapters, but it sounds like the rebel leader gave up way too quickly. In doing so, he sounds more of a weakling than anything else. More than, he's willing to sacrifice his entire army just to save his life. Perhaps make the plan a last resort? In sci-fi, the hero never gives up even against insurmountable odds.

I do like the beginning a lot. It sets up the chapter very well and grabbed my attention.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 pm
Calmal says...

In response to your comment, the rebel leader is not stupid, he knows he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of winning in a firefight. He is not weak, merely obvious. His army is going to sacrifice itself for its leader as it is within their genetics and Jic knows he can only run. Also, he is not the main character and who is to say he will remain a hero? I'm not giving away spoilers but don't judge any of my characters just yet...
Calmal

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf