z

Young Writers Society

sci-fi story feedback needed

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 pm
teevee99 says...

Thanks for the comments! They were certainly really helpfull, i really appreciate it. :)
This is a rough draft and i wanted to change the characters name to Dhea and didnt edit but i think i will stick with the former~ Its Thea

THE S U R V I VAL

In a world that we can only describe as unpredictable, where competition and fearless exploitation became the daily rhythm, an adolescent girl was laying backwards on her bed writing poetry. The anomaly was named at birth Nokta Thedea, though her mother always called her Thea. The mother, named Nokta Loan, her cousin Phoenix and Thea lived on the third sector of Old Earth, Road 57 House 22 in the Completed United Earth (C.U.E).
It was no wonder that the girl was oblivious to the reality of the fast paced world for the Old Earth was called “old” for a fitting reason. House 22 lay in a mostly abandoned city, populated by the poor of the C.U.E., who lived in what could be explained as tall rows of green cardboard building closely pilled. The landscape of Old Earth with its abandoned factories, antique billboards, clustered markets and schools could not be said to have been an astounding place where one’s interest could constantly linger in the truths of constant misery.
While Thea continued to pour her angst and ambition onto paper her mother was situated in the kitchen three floors down watching a small black screen. The device was called an E level computer dome, on which Loan’s brown-grey eyes were firmly fixed.
Loan’s hair was dark red and her skin light golden like her daughter. Her round nose above her thin lips and between her high cheekbones was uniquely her own, however. She quivered the nose of hers as she drank a sour smelling beverage from a broken cup. When Thea finally joined her mother she remarked firstly on her dislike of the odorous drink that her mother was occupied with. While Loan brushed away Thea’s complaints, her daughter became occupied with her second grievance.

“Do you know that everything they say on that is always a lie?” she said.

Loan was now engrossed completely in the C.U.E’s internationally aired, (and one and only) channel’s broadcast about building unity and common-hood in the C.U.E.

“Are you listening to me?” She asked her mother.

Loan continued watching as if Thea was not there.

“Mother”.

“Thea why have you chosen to constantly pester me? What the does it take you to understand that it is this kind of meddling in every single thing that I do that is giving me all this anxiety. I’m saying this for your good” yelled the mother.

Thea recognized that her mother’s attention could not be redirected. She stared at Loan’s face and recognized the stubbornness that always occupied it.

She too watched the C.U.E channel until Loan also had something to ask.

She turned off the E-level.

“Have you completed your applications for the Old Earth Recruits?” she questioned, referring to the work opportunity granted by the C.U.E in the Old Earth -- the only legal job available to the residents of the old earth.

“Yes, I told you before”, Thea replied.

“ Were you accepted?” Loan asked.

“I do not know still.” Thea said.

Now with a turn of her mood, with a smile on her lips and a glare of faith in her eyes Loan delved in to her regular speech, “It was your own choice to go there. I only came for you. Have you thought that I miss home? It was a much better life, a warmer place than the cold sky here. Grandma is still a little wealthy and surviving”.

“Surviving? I do not want to survive, I want to have more than what we have. I know I can do that; so grandma can enjoy her house and animal farm alone in that dry old waste land”, replied thea.

As if she had not heard Thea speak, Loan sighed, “But the sky is cold here”.

Staring down at her reflection and placing her bare feet on the marble floor Thea whispered, “So is the ground”. And everything in between is cold, she thought as she swirled her head around to glance at her sodden and somber home. It all seemed like a green and gray gust of wind and suddenly across the room she saw the familiar shadow of a woman with a half shaved head and everything dark about her. Her hair, her eyes, her clothes, her smile were black like ink.

“You look like as if you had an epiphany”, shouted Phoenix from the door. Even in the Old Earth codes were required to slide the automated metallic doors. As Phoenix came through, the door crushed back in place creating an unbearable banging. Phoenix did not appear to hear the noise as if her darkness absorbed it before it could touch her.

“I did not…have an epihany”, said Thea fastly.
Last edited by teevee99 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:02 am
PenNPaper says...

Hi, PenNPaper here to review.
What the does it take you to understand

This really doesn't sound right. Try 'What does it take for you to understand'.
I’m saying this for your good” yelled the mother

If she yelled there should be an exclamation mark.
Dhea replied.

A typo, right?
“I do not know still.” Dhea said.

Okay now it couldn't be two typos, and I noticed later on you switched back to Thea. Which is her real name, 'Thea' or 'Dhea'?
Okay so this story is fine overall, it flows smoothly. You have quite a bit of grammatical and punctuation errors, you should always run through the story again.

Keep writing and good luck! :D
Writing is all about imagination~

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:57 pm
Writersdomain says...

Hey there teevee! Tis WD, here to review for you! So, I enjoyed reading this. You have a very distinct writing style that I enjoy. You seem to have a very nice command of the English language and I'm rather impressed by some of your characterization thus far.

The thing I think you can improve most about this story is the information dumps. You tell us a lot in this opening and I understand that for a science fiction piece, it can be difficult to ground the reader without explaining things, but don't forget that the most powerful grounding and engaging force in a piece is the characters. You seem to have some great characters here, though things seem to get jumped at the end, but I think they are getting smothered by all of the explanation here.

It was no wonder that the girl was oblivious to the reality of the fast paced world for the Old Earth was called “old” for a fitting reason. House 22 lay in a mostly abandoned city, populated by the poor of the C.U.E., who lived in what could be explained as tall rows of green cardboard building closely pilled. The landscape of Old Earth with its abandoned factories, antique billboards, clustered markets and schools could not be said to have been an astounding place where one’s interest could constantly linger in the truths of constant misery.

I think for your first paragraph, the brief descriptive introduction is all right, but here is where it starts to get to be too much. Honestly, the reader doesn't care about all of this right now. There is a girl writign poetry; she is our window into your world so use her as such. I think this beginning would be much more powerful if you related more of the information and description back to your character and avoid some of these infodumps. Hook the reader hard while mildly grounded and then start fleshing out the world.

“Have you completed your applications for the Old Earth Recruits?” she questioned, referring to the work opportunity granted by the C.U.E in the Old Earth -- the only legal job available to the residents of the old earth.

“Yes, I told you before”, Dhea replied.

Wait. Is her name now Dhea? This confused me. You seem to be jumping scenes rapidly here and why does her name change from Thea to Dhea?

Staring down at her reflection and placing her bare feet on the marble floor Thea whispered, “So is the ground”. And everything in between is cold, she thought as she swirled her head around to glance at her sodden and somber home. It all seemed like a green and gray gust of wind and suddenly across the room she saw the familiar shadow of a woman with a half shaved head and everything dark about her. Her hair, her eyes, her clothes, her smile were black like ink.

This paragraph is well done. Like it.

“You look like as if you had an epiphany”, shouted Phoenix from the door. Even in the Old Earth codes were required to slide the automated metallic doors. As Phoenix came through, the door crushed back in place creating an unbearable banging. Phoenix did not appear to hear the noise as if her darkness absorbed it before it could touch her.

“I did not…have an epihany”, said Dhea fastly.

Phoenix? What is this? Where did this come from? You lost me here. O.o

I feel like you're trying to swallow too much too fast here. Dumping the setting on us, changing the name of your main character and then switching scenes rapidly. It's confusing and it's really not engaging the reader right now. Try to focus more on your characters and make this glow more logically and coherently through the scene changes. Try to emphasize those changes and circumstances that matter, like the paragraph about marble, instead of introducing us to a world only to flip it over on us. Does that make sense? Right now this seems like a few snippets cut out of a larger work rather than a beginning or a story in itself.

You have a nice start here and this does sound interesting, so keep writing! If you have an questions, feel free to PM me!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 am
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello Teevee! Welcome to YWS!

I really enjoyed this story mostly because the characters seemed well fleshed out and I really like the premise of this story. The setting, the surroundings, and context is very detailed. Excellent world building here. However, I do agree with WD that sometimes it gets a bit too 'info-dumby'. ;)

What I mostly want to talk about is your writing style. I found it extremely unnatural and very awkward at times. Other times the story read like a news report, with the writing being flat and emotionless. For example:
When Thea finally joined her mother she remarked firstly on her dislike of the odorous drink that her mother was occupied with.

Here, you have the opportunity to develop character by showing us. How exactly? Dialogue. If you rather wouldn't, then word the sentence in a more natural way. You can also describe Thea's expression as she caught a smelly waft of the drink. I would like to know exactly how Thea expressed her dislike. That would tell us a lot about her character.

The sentence I showed you above is an example of why there is an info-dump feel to this story. You need to move the story through the characters. They need to have a more dominant voice, their actions and feelings central to the narration, rather than their surroundings. You, as the narrator, the writer, still have a very noticeable presence in this story, which is making it hard for is to really delve into the story.Does that make sense? I mean I know I'm being told a story because of the way it's being narrated. I would rather the story unfold naturally before my eyes. I feel as if I am peeking through a window, the window slightly blurring my view. I want to be part of what I'm viewing. Your style of narrating it, quite like the window, is often a hindrance. You need to show rather than tell. I really hope I made sense. Note that I used the word "narrate." It means to tell a story. The voice in this story is too much like a report, a narration. It's keeping the readers at an arms length. (I'm aware this may have been rather confusing, PM me if you have any questions.)

I am a huge fan of science fiction, and I truly like your story because it seems well researched--and if it actually isn't you made it seem like it was. :wink: Kudos for that! You've successfully fleshed out the premise and managed to me make it unique and interesting, which is very essential for a good sci-fi story. I'm looking forward to reading more of this story. I hope my review was helpful. :D Let me know if you have questions. Keep writing!

See you around! :smt001
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2