z

Young Writers Society

Daddy's Girl(Title Still Pondering)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 am
Quetseli says...

This is related to the shorts I've been writing lately. It is how I would really make it out if it were written in novel style and the shorts just helped me understand the story better. I wouldn't completely say this is science fiction, but it does take place in the near future and it does involve creatures. But they aren't from other planets, just genetically mutated animals or people. Enjoy and crits are very welcomed! Thanks! :3

Prologue

“Daddy!” The little girl screams. She watches as her dreams turn into a nightmare. It goes from walking in into a beautiful palace with walls and a floor made of gold and switching to a street full of blood and massacre. Bodies lay mangled in the streets, missing limps or chucks of flesh. Some of them twitch, still alive in their own nightmares of death, and other choke on their own life-supplying blood, praying for it to be over. The city is engulfed in a cloud of red, skyscrapers crumbling on their own weight; fires are burning in the distance. It’s an apocalypse and the little girl can’t close her eyes to the violence, her mind can’t react. It’s frozen, in disbelief of what it is witnessing.
But she is screaming and soon her calls are answered. She feels herself being pulled from the bloody scene, a force taking her away in the air and tugging hard on her tiny, doll body. She wakes, seeing a canopy of fat red, brown, and golden leaves and tree branches. The sky isn’t visible from the bowels of the forest and it feels like dusk instead of noon. She sucks in a deep breath of crispy, fall air and sits up, tears streaming down her soft cheeks. She wails, crying into her hands that shake with fear. The little girl feels her body being brought into the arms of her Daddy, her head resting on its chest. She cries into its black cloak, gripping like it is a rope holding her away from the dreams of the carnage. Her Daddy soothes her, speaking softly in her ear, telling her its OK now. Telling her that there won’t be any more nightmares.
“B-but Da-daddy!” She wails. “Y-you said th-that yesterda-day.” Her Daddy rubs her back slowly with its long fingered hands. It sighs.
“I know, my child,” It says, its voice a perfect harmony of male and female tones. The voice sooths her and she finds her cries soon become silent, then turn to sniffles and hiccups. “I know.” The little girl stays in her position a moment longer before pushing away from her Daddy and sitting straight on the flat-topped rock she was lying on. A rock in the middle of a small clearing where she sneaks off to each day and dreams with the guidance of her Daddy. The creature stands straight once again to its impressive six-foot height. She looks up into the creature’s face. The creature she calls “Daddy”, but is in fact not even blood related to her.
Its face has sharp features, both of female and male qualities. High cheeks bones that sit beneath its dark, almond shaped eyes and beside its perfectly straight nose. Its lips are full and a pale pink and sit at the end of its heart shaped face. Its eyebrows are perfectly done in a female fashion and frame its eyes. Underneath the hood of the cloak the little girl knows that her Daddy holds a crowd of shiny, dark hair that reaches the curve of its back. Her Daddy’s body has broad shoulders and a wide chest. Its hips are perfectly curved to still tip the scale of its feminine side. The cloak hides the ivory color of its flawless skin, but also conceals the swelling of its once flat belly. The girl sniffles and wipes her nose on her arm.
“Are the nightmares ever going to stop, Daddy?” She asks, her voice nearly a whisper and her eyes turning from her Daddy and to a ladybug that toddles in her direction. The red of its shell reminds her of the blood in the nightmare and she has to look away.
“I’m not sure, child,” It answers. “I’ve never seen Innocents that get nightmares. I do not even think I heard of any.” This makes tears welt up in the girl’s eyes again. She looks up into her Daddy’s dark eyes. Pools that people say they find themselves drowning in. But the little girl doesn’t drown. She floats.
“Does that make me a outcast, Daddy?” She sniffs, a tear running down her already wet cheeks. The creature places a hand on that cheek, stopping the tear short. It shakes its head slowly.
“No, Astrid. Of course not,” It says, resting her head on its belly. “It just makes you…different. And different is good. Different means change.” The creature strokes her ponytail that is done up with a fat, white ribbon. Astrid nods and listens to the bubbling of her Daddy’s insides. She also hears the small, rapid heartbeat of its offspring. A child that threatens to tear the creature and her apart for good. She puts a doll-like hand on her Daddy’s belly as if she could feel the heartbeat instead of hear it.
“Daddy.” The girl says.
“Yes, child.” It replies. The girl pauses for a moment, almost afraid to bring up the subject that she has wondered about since the news of the baby. News she was once happy about. Now she despises it.
“Are we still going to be together,” She asks, looking up into its face. “After Keeran is born?” Her Daddy frowns. It puts its hand over hers, completely hiding it from view. Astrid’s gaze falls to the hand, smooth and flawless of veins or freckles. The moment is silent and Astrid fears she had said something wrong. Maybe it wasn’t the best time to bring it up? But Daddy does answer, sighing heavily.
“I’m not sure, Astrid. But I fear the worst of it all.” The girl looks back at its face again, her dark eyebrows coming close together and her lips forming a grimace of confusion.
“And what would that be, Daddy?” She asks, tilting her head to the side like a confused, but curious dog. It lets a deep breath out from its nose and looks down at her, eyes either sorry or scared.
“That I will be executed and you’re taken away into slavery.”
And I vow oath to this creed and all who are within it, to protect and value them all.
-Altorian Guard Recruit Ceremony

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 am
Kaedee says...

Hey, Quetseli. Kaedee here to review! Since this is short (which is not a problem at all), I'm not going to review this my normal way.
This prologue was written very well, and I found it was strong. I loved it! It is shocking to find that this girl's 'daddy' is not a human...you described this whole part very well. The reader thinks at first that the girl was sleeping in her room, on her bed...she has a nightmare, and her parent calms her. When I found that this was not the case, I said 'Wow!' Very interested, I had a strong urge to go on, to read on.
But I still have some nitpicks for you.

Nitpicks:
Quetseli wrote:She watches as her dreams turn into a nightmare. It goes from walking in into a beautiful palace with walls and a floor made of gold and switching to a street full of blood and massacre.
You should change 'it goes' to 'Her dream'. You don't need the word 'switching'.

Quetseli wrote:Some of them twitch, still alive in their own nightmares of death, and other choke on their own life-supplying blood, praying for it to be over.
It should be 'others'. What is 'it'? You have to explain. Their life? Their suffering? You don't need the - mark, just a space I think.

Quetseli wrote:The city is engulfed in a cloud of red, skyscrapers crumbling on their own weight; fires are burning in the distance.
I don't think you should have the ; mark here. You should make a whole new sentence there instead. 'Skyscrapers crumbling on their own weight'...huh? Should be 'under their own weight'.

Quetseli wrote:It’s frozen, in disbelief of what it is witnessing.
You should say 'your mind' instead of 'it's'. I think it would make more sense for her mind to be frozen in shock, not disbelief.

Quetseli wrote:She feels herself being pulled from the bloody scene, a force taking her away in the air and tugging hard on her tiny, doll body.
This part doesn't describe someone being woken up from a nightmare/dream very well.

Quetseli wrote:fat red, brown, and golden leaves and tree branches.
'Fat red, brown, and gold leaves', not 'fat red, brown, and golden leaves'.

Quetseli wrote:The voice sooths her
Should be 'soothes'.

Quetseli wrote:The little girl stays in her position a moment longer before pushing away from her Daddy and sitting straight on the flat-topped rock she was lying on.
Should you say 'to sit up straight'? It should be 'on the flat-topped rock she had been lying on.'

Quetseli wrote:High cheeks bones that sit beneath its dark, almond shaped eyes and beside its perfectly straight nose. Its lips are full and a pale pink and sit at the end of its heart shaped face.
You don't need 'that'. I think it would be better to say for the second sentence: 'It has full pale pink lips that sit at the end of its heart shaped face.' 'At the end' sounds a bit odd for describing a face. 'At the bottom' or something like it would be better.

Quetseli wrote:Its eyebrows are perfectly done in a female fashion and frame its eyes.
Ummm...don't eyebrows always frame eyes, if the animal has some?

Quetseli wrote:The cloak hides the ivory color of its flawless skin, but also conceals the swelling of its once flat belly.
You aren't contradicting the first half of the sentence, so you don't need the 'but'...replace it with 'and'.

Quetseli wrote:She asks, her voice nearly a whisper and her eyes turning from her Daddy and to a ladybug that toddles in her direction.
Break this into two sentences.

Quetseli wrote:“I’m not sure, child,” It answers. “I’ve never seen Innocents that get nightmares. I do not even think I heard of any.” This makes tears welt up in the girl’s eyes again.
You don't capitalize 'it'. It should be 'have heard'. 'Welt up'? Should be 'well up'.

Quetseli wrote:She looks up into her Daddy’s dark eyes. Pools that people say they find themselves drowning in. But the little girl doesn’t drown. She floats.
This part is all very confusing. Pools? Where? You didn't say that there were pools in Daddy's eyes...

Quetseli wrote:“No, Astrid. Of course not,” It says, resting her head on its belly.
Should be 'resting its head on her belly', right? I might be wrong. Anyway, this is confusing.

Quetseli wrote:Astrid nods and listens to the bubbling of her Daddy’s insides.
'Bubbling'? I don't get it.

Quetseli wrote:Are we still going to be together,” She asks, looking up into its face. “After Keeran is born?”
Should be a comma there instead of the period after 'face'.

As I said, overall this prologue was very nice, despite all the minor problems. The ideas are interesting, and you leave the reader wanting for more. I'll be looking forward to chapter one! :)

~KD
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 am
Lava says...

Hi Quetseli!

This piece is very good. I love it. It's written strongly and the way you transform the 'daddy' to a creature is very good.
KD has pretty much covered most of the nitpicking. Here's just a bit more.

Bodies lay mangled in the streets, missing limps or chucks of flesh.
I think you meant chunks.

a force taking her away in the air and tugging hard on her tiny, doll-like body.

“B-but Da-daddy!” She wails. “Y-you said th-that yesterda-day.”
You could reduce the amount of stuttering a bit. It doesn't give the effect you were probably looking for.

She puts a doll-like hand on her Daddy’s belly as if she could feel the heartbeat instead of hear it.
Don't use doll-like again. Since that's one of the solid description given about your MC, you shouldn't repeat it here. Try something else.

Overall: I have nothing much to complain about. Good description and dialogue. Your flow was good too. I'd really love to see where this heads.

Keep writing.
Cheers,
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief