z

Young Writers Society

Foretold (Prolouge +Chapter 1)

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 pm
aweqs says...

Heyy,
This is the first part of my ongoing novel, Foretold.
Please start reading this story with a open mind- i havent got all the sciencey part sorted out yet xD
[Please comment and review, thanks :) ]

Foretold

PART ONE

Prologue
White, everything is white. Icy snow towers a mile over the mountainous terrain. In fact, it doesn't snow anymore. Wind just blows the snow around.
The faint outline of distant mountains fades in and out of view as the snowstorm outbursts irregularly. The same image you would find in any part of this world - this tiny little world. Orbiting nothing. Defying the ‘rules of gravity’. It should be in the black hole by now. Maybe it is. After their star died out, almost everything else died too. Plants, mammals, birds and reptiles. Wiped out. Never to be seen again. But some creatures did survive. They lived to the extremes, did everything they could, but they knew it wasn’t enough. The snow, which had now covered everything they had ever known, pushed them down and they waited to die, shivering and whimpering. Then we came along. This species (they called themselves humans) were fascinating-like no other in the universe. We would know. We had to save them. And we knew how. It was drastic, but there was so much experimenting to do!

There weren’t many left; the cold temperatures had killed off most. But this had helped us. The humans left were the strongest on the planet- able to endure the cold for the longest. We built a village on top of the ice, and moved them in. They thought they were saved, and in a way they were.

We soon found out we couldn’t feed on the adult humans, their skin was too tough. However, when the first baby was born, we knew all was to be well...

Now, a millennium later, the population has gone down immensely, and everything is running smoothly. Complete control, that’s what we needed. If we didn’t have that, maybe we would slip up, maybe the humans (that’s what they called themselves) would take over. We couldn’t have that, could we? We put a fake forest in, surrounding the village, a protective layer. Not that it needs to be there.

The people wouldn’t care if it wasn’t there. They can’t care.
When we first arrived here, the seas were only just freezing up. Now they are rock solid ice. We melt masses of snow each day for the people to drink. We don’t need it. There’s only one thing we feed on.
The species look lot like us, except with brownish or pinkish skin and other smaller differences. Most of them only ever see us once; when they are very small and have only just come into the world. They provide us with nourishment, and we provide them with their water, food, accommodations, life and freedom. Not that they use that freedom- they see no reason to. They all follow an unwritten routine every day.

This was the case until a young male of the species was born who- by complete accident- could feel. He being the only person he knew who could feel, and no emotion returned back to him, his frustration grew and grew- then someone new came into his life…

Chapter One - The Beginning

I woke up, but my eyes didn’t open. Karina clattered in the kitchen. Pushing the duvet up to my face, I breathed in that soft cotton smell, and sighed. My eyes fluttered open, but I squinted against the light straight away. My feet were too hot so I moved them around to find a cooler part of the duvet. After writhing around in my cocoon, I sunk back down into my bed sheets. In that moment everything felt so normal, so perfect. Though of course, in the back of my mind nothing would be perfect or normal for me.
After being wrapped in the soft sheets, I stretched and jumped out of bed. Sliding on my dressing gown, I padded through the bedroom and into the kitchen, from carpet to vinyl flooring.

She was washing the dishes. Not because she cared what they looked like. Just because it was something to do. Her hygienic instincts kicking in.

As usual.

There was only one good thing I could think of about being able to feel. This thing was that I could properly know someone- feel about someone! But she couldn’t. They all couldn’t. I was so alone in this world. Even with all my family and Karina, I felt alone.

Nobody could know me.

Nobody could feel me.

I sighed and walked up to her. Putting my hands round her waist, I kissed her neck, tracing the scar on her jaw line with my lips. She was the only thing I could thank the soul suckers for. We were paired by them, put together. When we first met, I felt resentful, but I have grown to love her. You may think 'How can he love someone, when that person can’t think, or feel, for themselves?', and I must say, I haven’t got a proper answer for that...
All I can say is that I almost know what she would be like, if she hadn’t been robbed of the ability to love, hate, grieve...
She carried on washing the dishes. My hands wandered down her waist and over her hips. I couldn’t describe the way I felt for her. It was love. This emotion was the only one I could be completely sure of. Every time I looked at her my heart pounded and I couldn’t speak. It wasn’t the same for her. It might if been though, I thought to myself grimly. Those bloody soul suckers. Taking what wasn’t theirs. The woman who I felt such strong feelings toward was emotionless and detached because of their disgusting and bizarre feeding patterns.

Karina turned to me with a blank, vacant stare. The same stare as every day.

“Torin, I’m pregnant” she said. It was a statement. No fear of my reaction. No happiness, no sadness, no nothing. Through her eyes all I saw was a deep black void of emptiness.

Then it hit me. She was carrying my baby. Our baby. My tears welled up with joy. My heart jumped up my throat; I was going to be a father! With shaking, I squeezed her tight and kissed her face. We were going to be parents. But still nothing. The same blank expression. What did I expect? A sudden burst of feeling and passion? After all these days, months together, I still hoped that suddenly she would…

No, I wasn’t going to let anything down my mood. I had my hand on the small of her back, pressing her closer to me. She had her arms around me, not in an act of fervour, out of routine. I pulled away to look at her. Suddenly, I realized she may take it the wrong way.

Maybe she thought I was pushing her away from me.

But she just went back to washing the dishes.

I walked round to the side of her and knelt down to eye her stomach.

Flat. Of course. I didn’t really expect a bump yet. I went and sat at the table of my apartment and looked at her. Her black glossy hair was pulled back from her dark skinned face in a messy bun. Her slender shoulders and arms, covered in her baggy night dress. Her legs were dark brown, and seemed to stretch on forever. My heart thumped furiously as I observed her. She glowed like an angel in the dull room. The yellow wallpaper was fading in colour, and in some places peeling away. The vinyl floor was very old and starting to show it. The only light was coming from the flickering light bulb above my head.

I turned my gaze to the big, glass doors, which lead out to the balcony. Endless white stretched out in my view. Snow, ice, snow and more snow. The giant, unnaturally white spotlights illuminated the small city. The dead, lifeless world that we all lived in. And it wasn’t just the land that was lifeless. Dust motes danced in the air- twirling and rotating down the beam of light coming from a tiny window just above the sink. The light glisten on Karina’s skin; my heart walloped against my rib cage. I hoped the baby would inherit more of her looks than mine.

The baby.

What did I know about babies? What did I know about parenting and about being a father? Maybe it’ll come naturally. Maybe it’ll be easy. I already felt a strange longing for my child that was growing in Karina’s womb. The longing felt different to what I felt for Karina, but peculiarly similar too. How would it feel about me?

I froze.

I remembered.

My heart sank and the pain which filled me was so intense, it felt like my frame would crumple onto the ground. My child would be emotionless. Sobs clogged my throat, and I retched with understanding. Empty, vacant, blank, hollow. Only a few words to describe the people of this lifeless world.

Even though life seemed so much easier for the empty people, I couldn’t bear the thought of my child, not being able to care for me, to care for its own mother.

The soul suckers would come. My arms wrapped round me, squeezing my chest, trying to soothe the incurable throbbing of my heart. Those evil, malicious…thieves.

Warm hands cupped my chin and all the horrid, painful faded away in a second. She did that to me. When she touched me all I could feel was passion and affection.

I quickly swivelled round on my chair to look into her deep, dark eyes. She stared back into mine. We stayed like that for what seemed ages. That was unusual. She usually had quite a short attention span.

Maybe she did feel something for me.

That’s what I had been telling myself over and over again for our last year together.

Maybe there was a point for me to be throwing all my love at her.

Maybe there was a point in me loving her even though I’d never get anything back

Maybe.
Last edited by aweqs on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm
Tigersprite says...

Right, this is Tiger here to review; comments will be in bold.

Foretold

PART ONE

Prolouge Before we even get into the story, this should be 'Prologue', for there isn't such a word as 'Prolouge'.

White, everything is white. Snow and ice cover the landscape so thickly, that the surface you’d walk on is at least a mile up from the actual rock ground Erm, what? I don't think that's possible. Snow that is a mile high? Are you sure you know how long a mile is?. In fact, never, EVER use those two words when trying to narrate a story. it doesn't even snow anymore- what's the dash for? FULL STOP. wWind just blows the snow around... The reader is now thoroughly confused. You tell us that snow is everywhere, but then you tell us it doesn't snow anymore? If it doesn't snow anymore then the climate would have gotten warmer; hence the snow would melt.

Always space out your paragraphs. I just spaced out this one. The faint outline of distant mountains fades in and out of view as the snowstorm You said it no longer snowed. How on Earth can there be a snowstorm? A snowstorm is not just a lot of wind during winter. outbursts irregularly. The same image you would find in any part of this world - this tiny little world. How did we jump from talking about the climate to the world in general? If that was your first intention, to discuss the whole world, then why did you start off with the climate? Orbiting nothing. Defying the ‘rules of gravity’. It should be in the a black hole by now. Maybe it is. After their star burst, After whose star burst? You jumping to a whole different thing again everything died. Almost everything Just get rid of this sentence and put 'almost' before the first 'everything'.. Plants, mammals, birds and reptiles Erm, if even plants are gone, how do the humans survive? You know, the whole oxygen=> Co2 exchange cycle. And without plants and animals, how did the survivors survive?. Wiped out. Never to be seen again. That sentence is redundant. But some creatures did survive. We know some creatures survived. You already mentioned it before. They The survivors lived to the extremes, they did everything they could, but they knew it wasn’t enough. You create the image that the survivors are intelligent creatures. Are they humans? The snow which had now covered everything they had ever known, Yes, we know that the snow covers everything already pushed forced them downundergroundand they waited to die shivering and whimpering How would the narrator know if they weren't there? No need to talk about it.. Then we came along. This species(they called themselves humans) <=Finally! Why didn't you mention they were humans earlier? There was no need for the so-called mystery were fascinating-- Use two dashes. One makes it look like you're joining 'fascinating' and 'like' together. like no other in the universe. And why were they fascinating anyway? We would know.We had to save them. And we knew how. Well yes, you don't normally go about saving people when you don't know how. It's called 'lack of common sense' and 'stupidity'. It was drastic, but There was so much experimenting to do!

The werent many left, the cold temperatures had killed off most. WE KNOW. You have mentioned the cold, you have mentioned it forced them underground, we should have enough intelligence to guess that not all of them survived all of these transitions, what with their world growing cold and all that. But this had helped us. The humans left were the strongest on the planet--able to endure the cold for the longest. We built a village ontop of the ice, and moved them in. They thought they were saved, and in a way they were. But how are even the aliens surviving on this barren planet? There is NOTHING to eat.

We soon found out we couldn' COMMAS. Remember your COMMAS.t feed on the adult humans, their skin was too tough. However, when the first baby was born, we knew all was to be well... I thought they wanted the humans' survival for EXPERIMENTATION. Not for food.

Now, a millennium later, the population has gone down immensely, and everything is running smoothly. If the population is down, how would things be running smoothly? If the humans were a source of food for the aliens, the aliens would want to make sure there were a lot of them. We put a fake forest for what purpose? in, surrounding the village, a protective layer Protecting them from what, exactly?. Not that it needs to be there.

The people wouldn’t care if it wasn’t there.They can’t care.

PARAGRAPH SPACING. When we first arrived here, the seas were only just freezing up I thought everything was frozen?. Now they are rocksolid ice. We melt masses of snow each day for the people to drink. But what do the humans EAT? We don’t need it. There’s only one thing we feed on.

PARAGRAPH SPACING The species look a lot like us, except with brownish or pinkish skin and other smaller differences. Most of them only ever see us once, when they are very small and have only just come into the world. They provide us with nourishment, and we provide them with their water, food, accommodations, life and freedom. Not that they use that freedom- they see no reason to. They all follow an unwritten routine every day.

This was the case until a young male of the species was born who--by complete accident--could feel. You mean the other babies couldn't feel anything? Why was that?He being the only person he knew who could feel, and no emotion returned back to him What does that mean?, his frustration Frustration? Why is he frustrated? Please explain. grew and grew. Then someone new came into his life… This is beginning to sound like some sort of soap opera. :?

Knowing how long this is, you should not post the Prologue and Chapter One together. Edit this and take out chapter one, then post it on its own when your story gets some followers. This combination is far too long.

Anyway, this is full of grammatical mistakes. Not to mention giant plot holes, and the fact that your story seems to be without a sense of direction. You haven't even explained why the world grew cold and all, you haven't told us how the aliens feed of the humans yet keep them alive, you haven't explained what the humans eat or why indeed the trust the aliens. You need to go over this and strip it of everything unnecessary. Having done that, make your plot BELIEVABLE and PRACTICAL. Make us care for the plight of the humans. Make us care for the story itself. Give me a heads up once you've done all that, and I'll happily review it again. The story has promise, but you need to change a few things around to make us want to read further. Good luck and KEEP WRITING,

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:57 pm
aweqs says...

Thanks for the review,
although it seemed kinda harsh, im sure you had some good points :)
The reason it doesnt snow because the sun has died out, therefore the whole rain/snow cycle has stopped?
Many writers repeat phrases and points throughout there stories- to emphasise the point?
Mystery can grip the reader, but yes, i should probably tell the reader more :)
the Co2 thing is a very good point :)
These aliens can use humans for experimentation, and nutrients?!
Humans can go for 3 months without food.
The aliens want complete control, so thats why theres a smaller percentage... it explains that further in Chapter 1...
The babys have feelings at the beginning, the the aliens 'take' them, then they are left without them for the rest of their lives- again there is more explanation in Chapter 1 :)
Well, this guy is left alone on this planet with no one else with emotions- i think you would be frustrated? xD

so yeah.
I guess i feel quite protective over my work,
buit i guess i did ask for a review...

But thanks :D
-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 pm
Idraax says...

aweqs wrote:[Please comment and review, thanks :) ]

Foretold

PART ONE

Prolouge
White, everything is whiteTo me this is kind of repetitive. I think you can just start off with saying that everything is white. Snow and ice cover the landscape so thick, that the surface you’d walk on is at least a mile up from the actual rock ground. In fact, it doesntWatch out for those type o's! This should be doesn't even snow anymore- wind just blows the snow around...
The faint outline of distant mountains fades in and out of view as the snowstorm outbursts irregularly. The same image you would find in any part of this world - this tiny little world. Orbiting nothing. Defying the ‘rules of gravity’. It should be in the black hole by now. Maybe it is. After their star burst, everything died. Almost everything. Plants, mammals, birds and reptiles. Wiped out. Never to be seen again. But some creatures did survive. They lived to the extremes, did everything they could, but they knew it wasn’t enough. The snow, which had now covered everything they had ever known, pushed them down and they waited to die, shivering and whimpering. Then we came along. This species(they called themselves humans) were fascinating-like no other in the universe. We would know. We had to save them. And we knew how. It was drastic, but there was so much experimenting to do!

The weren't many left, the cold temperatures had killed off most. But this had helped us. The humans left were the strongest on the planet- able to endure the cold for the longest. We built a village onspace heretop of the ice, and moved them in. They thought they were saved, and in a way they were.

We soon found out we couldn't feed on the adult humans, their skin was too tough. However, when the first baby was born, we knew all was to be well...I am confused. Do you mean they could physically feed on the children?

Now, a millennium later, the population has gone down immensely, and everything is running smoothly. We put a fake forest in, surrouding the village, a protective layer. Not that it needs to be there.

The people wouldn’t care if it wasn’t there.They can’t care.
When we first arrived here, the seas were only just freezing up. Now they are rock solid ice. We melt masses of snow each day for the people to drink. We don’t need it. There’s only one thing we feed on.
The species look lot like us, except with brownish or pinkish skin and other smaller differences. Most of them only ever see us once, when they are very small and have only just come into the world. They provide us with nourishment, and we provide them with their water, food, accommodations, life and freedom. Not that they use that freedom- they see no reason to. They all follow an unwritten routine every day.

This was the case until a young male of the species was born who- by complete accident- could feel. He being the only person he knew who could feel, and no emotion returned back to him, his frustration grew and grew- then someone new came into his life…

Chapter One -Torin

I woke up, but I didn't open my eyes. I could hear Karina clattering in the kitchen. I was bundled up in my duvet, pushing it up to my face. I breathed in that soft cotton smell, and sighed.space hereMy eyes fluttered open, but I squinted against the light straight away.space hereMy feet were too hot so I moved them around to find a cooler part of the duvet.space hereAfter rivingUm...I'm not sure if this is a word..... around in my cocoon, I sunk back down into my bedsheets. I fingered the scar on my jawline.Space hereIn that moment everything felt so normal, so perfect. Though of course, in the back of my mind nothing would be perfect or normal for me.
After about 5 minutes of being snuggled up in my bed, I stretched, whilst yawning and jumped out of bed. I stretched once again, then slid on my dressing gown. I padded through the bedroom and into the kitchen, from carpet to linylSo you mean vinyl here? flooring.

She was washing the dishes. Not because she cared what they looked like. Just because it was something to do. Her ‘womanly instincts' kicking in.

As usual.

There was only one thing I could think of that was good about being able to feel. This thing was that I could properly know someone- feel about someone! But she couldn’t. They all couldn’t. I was so alone in this world. Even with all my family and Karina, I felt alone.

Nobody could know me.

Nobody could feel me.

I sighed and walked up to her. Putting my hands round her waist, I kissed her neck, tracing the scar on her jaw line with my lips. She carried on washing the dishes. My hands wandered down her waist and over her hips. I couldn’t describe the way I felt for her. It was more than love. Every time I looked at her my heart pounded and I couldn’t speak. It wasn’t the same for her. It might if been though, I thought to myself grimly. Those bloody soul suckers. Taking what wasn’t theirs. The woman who I felt such strong feelings toward was emotionless and detached because of their disgusting and bizarre feeding patterns.

Karina turned to me with a blank, vacant stare. The same stare as everyday.

“ Torin, I’m pregnant” she said. It was a statement. No fear of my reaction. No happiness, no sadness, no nothing. Through her eyes all I saw was a deep black void of emptiness.

Then it hit me. She was carrying my baby. Our baby. My tears welled up with joy. I was going to be a father! I squeezed her tight and kissed her face. We were going to be parents. But still nothing. The same blank expression. What did I expect? A sudden burst of feeling and passion? After all these days, months together, I still hoped that suddenly she would…

No, I wasn’t going to let anything down my mood. I had my hand on the small of her back, pressing her closer to me. She had her arms around me, not in an act of fervor, out of routine. I pulled away to look at her. Suddenly, I realisedrealized she may take it the wrong way.

Maybe she thought I was pushing her away from me.

But she just went back to washing the dishes.

I walked round to the side of her and knelt down to eye her stomach.

Flat. Of course. I didn’t really expect a bump yet. I went and sat at the table of my apartment and looked at her. Her black glossy hair, was pulled back from her dark skinned face in a messy bun. Her slender shoulders and arms, covered in her baggy night dress. Her legs were dark brown, and seemed to stretch on forever. My heart thumped furiously as I observed her. She glowed like an angel in the dull room. The yellow wallpaper was fading in colour, and in some places peeling away. The vinyl floor was very old and starting to show it. The only light was coming from the flickering lightbulb above my head.

I turned my gaze to the big, glass doors, which lead out to the balcony. Endless white stretched out in my view. Snow, ice, snow and more snow. The dead, lifeless world that we all lived in. And it wasn’t just the land that was lifeless. Dust motes danced in the air- twirling and rotating down the beam of light coming from a tiny window just above the sink. The light glisten on Karina’s skin; my heart walloped against my rib cage. I hoped the baby would inherit more of her looks than mine.

The baby.

What did I know about babies? What did I know about parenting and about being a father? Maybe it’ll come naturally. Maybe it’ll be easy. I already felt a strange longing for my child that was growing in Karina’s womb. The longing felt different to what I felt for Karina, but peculiarly similar too. How would it feel about me?

I froze.

I remembered.

My heart sank and the pain which filled me was so intense ,it felt like my frame would crumple onto the ground. My child would be emotionless. Empty, vacant, blank, hollow. Only a few words to describe the people of this lifeless world.

Even though life seemed so much easier for the empty people, I couldn’t bare the thought of my child, not being able to care for me, to care for its own mother.

The soul suckers would come. My arms wrapped round me, squeezing my chest, trying to soothe the incurable throbbing of my heart. Those evil, malicious…thieves.

Warm hands cupped my chin and all the horrid, painful faded away in a second. She did that to me. When she touched me all I could feel was passion and affection.

I quickly swivelledswiveled round on my chair to look into her deep, dark eyes. She stared back into mine. We stayed like that for what seemed ages. That was unusual. She usually had quite a short attention span.

Maybe she did feel something for me.

That’s what I had been telling myself over and over again for our last year together.

Maybe there was a point for me to be throwing all my love at her.

Maybe there was a point in me loving her even though I’d never get anything back

Maybe.

This is an interesting story so far. Are you going to keep switching points of view every chapter? You seem to have the prologue in an alien's point of view. I like the way this flows, except Torin seems a little emotionless himself. I don't know it might be the word choice, it might be the lack of italicized words to show emphasis or it might just be me. Anyway, I can't wait to see where you go with this. Keep going! :)
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Snow and ice cover the landscape so thick, that the surface you’d walk on is at least a mile up from the actual rock ground.

cover should be covers
I don't particularly like how you phrase this sentence. It seems a little long, when you could get the same effect by saying something like 'icy snow towered a mile over the the mountainous terrain' or something like that.

In fact, it doesnt even snow anymore- wind just blows the snow around...

This sentence just looks strange. You don't need all the fancy punctuation.
In fact, it doesn't snow anymore. Wind just blows the snow around.
They are two separate statements, so you should leave out the hyphen. and the ... was unnecessary.

From the second paragraph I assume the story is in the point of view of an alien, who came to the rescue of the human race after their sun blew up.
First, (and I'm going to be picky here :) ) Without sun, there would be no light to see anything, like say the mountains.
Second, the blast should've killed everything and burnt the planet to smithereens.
Third, if this is not Earth, but a planet far away from the sun where it wouldn't have gotten a direct blast of the explosion, humans would not have been able to survive on it; it wouldn't been too cold.
I'm not meaning to pick this apart to shreds, but if you want this to make sense I suggest you go back and fix some of these facts.
We soon found out we couldnt feed on the adult humans, their skin was too tough. However, when the first baby was born, we knew all was to be well...

So the aliens 'helped' them so that they could use them for food? That's what I'm picking up here.

Now, a millennium later, the population has gone down immensely, and everything is running smoothly.

Whose population? I thought the aliens wanted humans to live so that they could use them?
We put a fake forest in, surrouding the village, a protective layer. Not that it needs to be there.

Why, then? Just for the heck of it? Why fake trees and not a concrete wall?

I woke up, but I didn't open my eyes. I could hear Karina clattering in the kitchen. I was bundled up in my duvet, pushing it up to my face. I breathed in that soft cotton smell, and sighed.My eyes fluttered open, but I squinted against the light straight away.My feet were too hot so I moved them around to find a cooler part of the duvet.After writhing around in my cocoon, I sunk back down into my bedsheets. I fingered the scar on my jawline.In that moment everything felt so normal, so perfect. Though of course, in the back of my mind nothing would be perfect or normal for me.

Notice how your sentences all start like 'I did this, I did that'? I would definitely try to change that. It sounds repetitive and boring.

I fingered the scar on my jawline.In that moment everything felt so normal, so perfect.

An odd follow-up sentence to the first one there :/

After about 5 minutes of being snuggled up in my bed, I stretched, whilst yawning and jumped out of bed.

The word 'whilst' felt strange here. I don't picture many people using it.

Her ‘womanly instincts’ kicking in.

I thought this was funny, because I can't imagine anyone assuming that washing dishes was a 'womanly instinct'. It's just so wrong.

It was more than love.

Sounds a little like lust to me. It feels wrong that he is in a way taking advantage of her in her state.

Her black glossy hair, was pulled back from her dark skinned face in a messy bun.

No need for the comma after hair.

So all in all, I think you should spend more time ironing out the kinks of this storyline. I didn't understand the point of having the alien set the scene for us in beginning if he's never going to appear again. The whole 'sun blew up' predicament is very unrealistic to me. Also, I didn't mind your main character until he started expressing how much he loved Karina. It felt too much like lust, and almost like he was taking advantage of her. In my opinion.

I hope you found my review helpful :) If I've made any mistakes, let me know!

~blacksheep
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 pm
rumblythunderxox says...

Okayyyy, first I feel like I have to praise you. This is a very good story, it's original and i think if you work on it, it'll be a good story.
There are a lot of questions I have that I think you need to clear up. Like the soul suckers, i'm very interested in them. Who they are, what they look like, why they're there. Why did the earth get covered in ice? I assume it was global warming or something, but I don't want to assume, this is your story. I want to know more about Torin and Karina's realationship. How did they meet? How could they be together if she has no emotion? Did he just fall in love with her and she, having no emotion just go with the flow? Why didn't she pick any guy? So i do think there are a few kinks in your story but you shouldn't give up and I'm still going to continue to read because I think you got a good idea here.
Good job!
Write with your heart first
then with your head

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:56 pm
Matthews says...

Well, since the previous reviewers covered most of the questions, I'll just say I agree with them. There are a lot of "whys" in this story. I can understand that it may be mysterious partly to captivate the reader, and partly because you may explain them later in the story...HOWEVER, I think this needs a little more of a "base" to stand on.
The beginning part was confusing...as others have said. I just kind of ignored it and breezed on to the more interesting parts, which I tend to do if I find it boring/confusing.

The main things that bugged me were what the last two reviewers said. It seemed as if Torin has little emotion, and it felt like lust when he described his emotions concerning Karina. I annoyed me. Are they married? Just living together? How did they meet? How come Karina is living with him, if she has no emotion? How does it all work? It's like he's just using her for sex, and she's just gone along with it or something. That's what I'm getting from reading this, anyhow.
How come Torin HAS emotion anyway? How come the soul stealer alien guys didn't take his too? I don't get how he somehow managed to be normal? While everybody else is "dead". Right now, I'm really not feeling anything. The characters aren't "alive" to me. They're just there. I can kinda guess you're creating the aliens as the "bad guys" and the humans as the "good guys" but right now they are both just...unimportant. I'm not like "Grr, those aliens are so mean and disgusting!" Like I normally would be in a different story.

Overall, this story is quite intriguing, and I'm going to go read the rest of the chapters. I think it could be an AMAZING story, it's interesting enough. You just need to do some editing. :P Keep it up, this is better then anything I could come up with!
Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 pm
Sins says...

Heya aweqs. :)

You've already gotten some good reviews here, so I'm not sure if I'll have much more to add. Because of that, this review could be a little short... Hopefully though, I'll be able to come up with something extra for you. If not, I'll just try and emphasize what's already been said.

To be honest, I think that I have to agree with the other reviewers on most things, especially with what has been said about your characters. Right now, they feel a little flat. Torin is supposed to be the only one who can feel things, yet I'm finding his emotions a little confusing. Like the others have said; it does seem more like lust than love. The reason for that might be because we know that his girlfriend/wife can't feel, so we may be being a bit judgemental. I won't go into much detail about this though because the other reviewers have already mentioned it.

One of the problems I'm having with this is that because of the lack of knowledge, this first chapter actually feels more like something out of the middle of your novel. For example, we don't know Torin very well at all. We don't know how he and his partner got together, or how long they've been together. One thing I'm also very interested in knowing is why Torin is the only human with feelings. The blood suckers take their feelings and junk, right? If that's the case, then why didn't they take all of his emotions and feelings? What made him so special?

Right now, it feels like I can't get into this as much as I could because I don't feel much towards your characters and their situations. Before you get into all of the action, I would suggest that you give us readers time to understand the situation, and more importantly, get to know your characters. Make us really feel emotional when we find out that Torin's girlfriend is pregnant. Make us feel sorry for Torin because he's trapped in a world where only he feels. Let us get to know the blood suckers as well. ;)

Negatives aside, this definitely does have some great potential! Your writing is good. All that you need is a little bit of practice. You have a really original idea here, and it could go anywhere from here. It's always great when the story you're writing is unpredictable. Some of your descriptions in this were really nice, and you balanced all of the aspects of a story out evenly. All that you need to do is to take into consideration what us reviewers have and will say, then edit this up a bit with the advice you get. This is full of great potential!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Ava. Thanks for the request, and I am here. Hope I'll be of some help, though I doubt it since Skinsy has already spread her magic. D:

Prologue:
The opening line and the ones following it were fab, seriously. But then I think the thing that pulled me back was that you were having too much of description as we moved forward. For me, descriptions hold a great importance in a literary piece and without it the story would be bland. But in the start it has probability of giving a head ache to the reader. I understand the need of giving this story this shady look and it's possible because of descriptions only. But not in the start. Just slow down. Give the readers a bit of rest and then progress.
My other comment on the prologue would be that I felt you were adding a lot of stuff here, in a way it was good, like we have in some sci-fic books. On the other hand, I believe all this history was just like we were reading something out from a History textbook, only the difference of it being of another world, not ours. So in that way I felt it was kinda boring. You could have opted for something else-like a bit of history and then the prologue could have been shorter, which is better. I know the need, but you could have make or introduced some details later on. But anyways, your wish!

I woke up, but my eyes didnt open.
Now if I were reading it, I would like some better opening line than this. Like the red part just ruined the fun of the second part. Maybe it's just me. But something more awesome would be better.

Chapter-1:
I am not sure what others exactly think of this piece but for me it was nice. The chapter-1 obviously went better than the prologue. There was much more excitement here. I won't blame anything because with the topic you had chosen for the prologue, it was the best you could do. For me, your writing skills were nice and there were some mistakes grammatically but I won't be too harsh on them considering the fact that I suck on them, too. So no comments. :D

Right now, for me there are some loopholes in the story and you need to fix them, but they aren't anything serious. First of all, I think you tried your best to make the plot a lot clear in the prologue, but still there were some broken pieces for me here and there. First of all, they say that they'd give the humans their food, shelter, etc, and in return use them for their own nourishment, but isn't it weird? Like how can they feed them if they are providing them with facilities. Maybe I just couldn't understand or I took it in the wrong direction. Other thing like Tiger said-how the world ended up white and snowy? Wouldn't you make us understand that? Other thing was that I felt the Soul suckers coming here and bombarding when we have no clue who they are. What they do? What's their responsibility and whether they have same emotionless stature? They were just as unknown to me like some alien. I couldn't get them. What next of them? Is it an organization or what?

I felt there were things like these that had me pull back, and a question that who was narrating the prologue, because what I get from this is that you have multiple POVs. Anyways, it can be a third voice, for the least I care. It's not that important to the story. I would really like to know how exactly these people are blind to emotions, love, etc. Make us understand all that. We would be liking it more if we have more information on how these people look. Other thing, are they human or the specie they talk of? The pink one? The setting? Is it earth or some other planet?
Anyways, I noticed one problem in the writing:
havent: It's not that but haven't.
You forget to add apostrophes here and there, so it becomes little confusing. But after working my brain hard(or without that only) I can figure out. Just thought to let you know.

I am sorry for the hopeless review.

~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson