z

Young Writers Society

Foretold (Chapter 4)

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 pm
aweqs says...

Chapter 4-The Forest

I knew we had to leave straight away. Get away before the soul suckers came and destroyed my child. I had place Isaac on the bed as I packed necessities in my black rucksack. We were off to the mountain, to the salvation camp. I had to believe in my heart that their idea had succeeded- that there were people alive and living, untouched by the soul suckers. People like me.
Isaac gurgled, and rolled around on the bed. I went over to him and held him in my arms. I stroked his forehead, absent minded- his skin felt cold and clammy. That couldn't be right... I jerked my head down to see my sons face; it was an awful pale colour with sunken cheeks. Not a live baby at all! My heart contorted and I scrunched my eyes closed fiercely. Under my breath I whispered frantically, "No, No, No, No, No". It wasn't a prayer or plea, it was a commandment.
I felt the body squirm in my arms.
My eyes snapped open to see my perfectly alive, beautiful son. I grabbed him to my chest, then continued packing-more frantic than ever.

I stepped out of our block, into the quiet, clear night. Isaac was wrapped in many thick blankets, with only his little pink face peeping out. I crunched across the snow, wary and cautious. As soon as I reached the outskirts of the town, I started running. I was headed for the forest and beyond the forest, was the mountains, and on top of one of those mountains, is my son's new life...

It wasn't long until we came to the edge of the forest. It was almost pitch black, only a faint amount of light from the town reached this far. I could only just see the dark outline of the tall trees. I would have to get used to this, there would most likely be no electricity on the mountain.
I looked up above the trees, hoping to see our final destination, the mountains, but the trees were too high. I sighed and diverted my glance to the dense darkness of the forest in front of me...
I readjusted my backpack, and made sure Isaac was comfortable in the sling he was lying in. I took a deep breath and my first steps into the Forest followed...

The forest was confusing and pitch black. I hadn't brought anything that could mark my way, or show that I was going in circles. I had brought a torch, so I wasn't tripping over or banging into trees every step. In spite of the obvious usefulness of torch, it made the forest even more gloomy and frightening. You could only see what was in front of you, but not what was hiding either side. I swear I could hear scuffles and snorts but whenever I flicked my torch to observe whatever it was, there was nothing there. This made me sure I was hallucinating, and imagining things, but I carried on strong through the dense trees.
Our first night was a long sleepless one. Isaac fell asleep quickly- in fact he had been very quiet for the whole journey, only gurgling when I looked down at him. However, I twisted and writhed in my blankets, trying to get comfortable. This was bad, but it was even worse when I was still, not making a sound. I could distinctly hear the sound of padding, and harsh deep breathing. I was frozen, clinging Isaac towards me-who was starting to smell awful- trying to keep us at discreet as possible. At one point in the night, one of the creatures (I could tell there was more than one) passed right beside us. It’s hot steaming breath panted beside us, and it sniffed. I thought that was it, we were going to be mauled right there. But when the animal’s nose moved towards Isaac, it growled and ran away. I realised I had been holding my breath during the whole time. The creatures didn't come back after that, and I eventually fell asleep...

I woke up and packed everything away. Of course it was still dark, there's no day and night on this planet, and there was no way to tell how long I had slept, or what time it was. Back in the town, street lights turn on during the "day" and there were clocks.
I trekked for hours, trying to stay in a straight direction. I focused on my path ahead, but I was very aware of darker shapes travelling along beside me. I could hear snuffing and snorting. Sometimes, I swear I heard little yelps. But still, whenever I moved my torch towards them, the creatures scampered. Once, when I moved quickly enough, I saw a little flash of a bushy tail, thick and white. I gulped, but it also assured me. This wasn't any sort of soul sucker; in fact I recognised that tail. It looked distinctly like the tail of animal I once saw in an encyclopaedia.
A wolf.
It seemed impossible, but if I thought about it, if any animal was going to survive the sun dying, it would be the wolf. I had read a few old books about them. With its long shaggy coats, sharp teeth and claws, and its protective pack the wolf could adapt to any climate, any situation. And they had been here all this time?
This thought led me to think, "What had the wolves been living on?” There must be other living creatures in the forest! All my life I had thought humans were the only thing left...
I made camp in a clearing between the trees. The ground was flat here, with less snow. The forest was the only place that wasn't completely caked with snow, but all the same, I'd never seen proper rock ground before. To be honest, it was even less comfortable than the freezing snow. At least that could mould to your shape like a mattress.
Despite that, I took advantage of the dry land and started a fire. A proper, outside fire. I had read many old survival manuals in Anthony's Bookstore, so I knew just how to create a spark. It took a while to find some dry twigs, but finally, I had a bright, roaring fire, to keep us warm.
I ate enough bread to take the edge off my hunger; I didn't know how long this journey would take us. I attempted to feed Isaac some formula milk, but it most of it dribbled down his cheeks. I think he has some sort of difficulty swallowing liquids.
This was the most peaceful and settled I had felt since I left Karina and civilisation. I let my head roll back, and let out a deep sigh. We were on our way to something more. I could imagine the settlement...

Children laughing and playing around in the snow, their mothers shouting at them to stay clear of the edge. Hot meat being slowly cooked, turning on the wooden spit. There are little wooden huts in a semi-circle around the happy scene and the sky is clear; you can see every star.
I realise Karina is walking towards me, arms a huge smile on her face. Happy smiling faces all around me, Love all around me, Life all around me. Suddenly, Karina starts barking at me, deep and loud. They're all barking, snarling, yapping, and growling in my face. My head feels light and I feel my eyes rolling back into my head....

And all too soon, I'm back to the shocking reality. There are wolves all around me, barking, and biting me. They growl and pounce, then back away, snarling. I look around, and realise Isaac is gone. Frantically, I propel myself up and push away the pouncing wolves.
"Isaac! ISAAC!?!" I shouted, berserk. I spun around, bending down, ignoring the little nips and scratches the dogs were performing. My vision was blurred by prancing, frantic wolves. I looked into the trees and saw a white shadow of a wolf, pattering off. I jumped up and sprang after it, and as I came closer, I could see Isaac's little body hanging from its jaws. I wailed and jumped on the wolves back, wrestling it to the ground. Grabbing the limp body from the struggling creature’s teeth, I ran off, abandoning my backpack, abandoning my sleeping bag. I didn't run too far, but far enough to feel safe.
I efficiently checked my little boy’s body, and although there were deep tooth marks in his skin, no blood poured out. His skin was bruised, purple and grey, and his complexion a sickly, pale green. I stared at little face, gave him mouth to mouth, but his little body stayed limp. I was producing a choking, rasping sound, and tears rolled rapidly down my cheeks. I uttered small gulping sounds, I couldn't find a breath. A lump formed in my throat blocking it. I collapsed backwards, unable to breath, and my vision clouded over, as I lay in the cold snow, with the cold body of my son against my chest...
Last edited by aweqs on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 am
WaywardBird says...

NONO! No cliffhangers allowed! (I am planning to follow like this the entire story, so please bear it. :) ) Other than a few grammar mistakes, I can't really see anything wrong. Perhaps a detail needs to be switched around somewhere, but other than that it's great! :D
Latina est TUMOROSUS senes ita sortem.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:03 pm
aweqs says...

awhh thanks!
Im gald a have a follower,
i just got a really harsh review, and it amkes my smile that you like it :)

Thanks!
-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Isaac was wrapped in many thick blankets, with only his little, pink face peeping out.

you don't need the comma after little.

I was headed for the Forest, and beyond the Forest, were the Mountains, and on top of one of those mountains, is our sons new life...

you don't capitalize forest or mountains. Unless the forest's name was Forest and the mountain's name was Mountain.

their would most likely be no electricity on the mountain.

there
I still don't understand where the light is coming from. No sun, remember?

Also, do you notice how you end each paragraph with '...'? It's becoming a trend, and it's not a good thing. It leaves the reader with a sense of trailing away after each sentence and it makes it seem less significant.

Where is Karina during all this?

I had brought a torch, so I wasn't tripping over or banging into trees every step.

I'm being picky again, I know! But it would be very hard to light a torch in such intense cold, and to keep it burning. The fire would simply go out.
(I could tell their was more than one)

there
At one point in the night, one of the creatures (I could tell their was more than one) passed right beside us.

What creatures? The aliens? Surely Torin would've come up with a name for them. That means YOU have to :)

theirs no day and night on this planet

there's

but I was very away of darker shapes travelling along beside me.

aware

But still, whenever I move my beam of light towards them, the creatures scarpered.

Many mistakes here.
Whenever I MOVED the TORCH towards them, the creatures SCAMPERED.

A wolf.

How would Torin even recognize a wolf if he's never seen one before? Wasn't everything wiped out? How could anyone even have known wolves existed?

With its long shaggy coats, and sharp teeth and claws, the wolf could adapt to any climate, any situation.

And with this logic, so can tigers, grizzly bears, wildcats, lions, wolverines, polar bears, yada yada yada. You're going to need a better explanation here.

I made camp, in a clearing between the trees.

don't need the comma

The ground was flat, with scarcely no snow.

This can be phrased better
The ground was flat here, with less snow.
The ground was flat and scarce with snow.
The ground was flat, with hardly any snow.
Try and change it.

I ate some bread, but only a little, I was trying to salvage it, to make it last... I didn't know how long this journey would take us.

So many commas! These are all separate clauses and should be separated.
I ate enough bread to take the edge off my hunger.
That is all you really need. We understand you are not carrying a refrigerator with you and must ration your food.

This was the most peaceful and settled I had felt since I left Karina and civilisation.

Again, here I am being mean.
How long was Torin planning on keeping the child away from his mother's milk? Who was going to feed it, Torin? The baby will starve. You haven't explained how you thawed out the FROZEN bottles of milk. It's freezing outside, remember?

Hot meat being slowly cooked, turning on the wooden spit.

Since there are no animals that have survived, the turning meat would've been human flesh? Just clearing it up.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. Just food for thought. And correct me if I'm wrong!
There are a lot of grammar articles you could look up that can show you how to use commas, more importantly, not to OVERUSE them. It's not a waster of time to look up the more boring fundamentals of writing, I still do :)

Onwards to chap 5!!!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year