z

Young Writers Society

Foretold (Chapter 5- Revised)

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 pm
aweqs says...

Chapter 5- The rest-stop

When I woke up, I didn't move, I just stared up at the always starry sky. My heart pumped regularly, I diverted thoughts from my life, and thought about.... all sorts of stuff. I thought about science, history, literature. I thought about every book I had ever read and every word I had ever known. I daren’t look away from the sky; I could feel the weight of Isaac's corpse on my chest. It was cold, and my teeth were starting to chatter, so I closed my eyes, and sat up. I felt the weight of the body tumble down my side and onto the snow beside me. And then, I was not sure what I heard, but whatever it was, persuaded me too open my eyes. Beside me, a squealing, naked body lay, wriggling in the snow. I gaped at this miracle. It was impossible, but I sucked up the phenomenon, believed it. It had to be real. Isaac's skin was deathly pale, and he was shivering. His lips were blue. I briskly tucked him into my coat and breathed into the collar- trying to warm him up. The sky was dark, as always, and I wondered how long away the mountain was. We needed to get there, and soon.

Firstly, I needed to get my pack back. I found my way back to the clearing, and skulked into it. I couldn't see the wolves, but little yellow eyes coming from the dark tree told me that they were watching me. My pack was still there, its contents spilled out on the snow. I quickly stuffed the remains into the pack, and jogged back into the trees....

The wolves followed me for a while, skulking through the trees either side of me, darting across my unclear path. I wasn't scared of them, in a way, I felt reassured. If any other creature was nearby, the wolves would scatter and I would be warned.
Also, it made me happy to watch them, in the small glimpses I got.
A mother wolf, nudging her cub to move along. Two wolves sniffing, and nuzzling each other.
A community.
This astonished me. The only time I'd ever seen emotion was through Karina when she 'took' them. All my life, i had isolated myself because of my ability. The wolves reminded me there was such a thing as emotion, such a thing as love and commitment.
I continued walking through the trees. After a while, I realised the wolves weren't following me anymore, and I was left alone in the forest, with Isaac weakly squirming around inside my coat.
Steam from my breath billowed around me, and I stumbled through the woods. I guessed I was getting near the edge of the dense trees, as the snow was thicker under my feet, and I could feel a strong wind, working its way through the trees.
I was right.
The trees ended abruptly, revealing a major snow storm. The wind was blowing in all directions, and the air was thick with whirling snow. As soon as I walked into the blistering wind, I was almost blown over. I quickly ran back into the shelter of the trees. It was obvious I wasn't going any further today...
I set up camp in the trees, risking a fire, to warm us up. I sacrificed some paper from the excess pages at the back of the moth-eaten diary, which was leading us to our destiny.
I lay on my back, with Isaac still squirming inside my coat, and looked at the glimmering night sky; there were so many stars, they lit up the heavens. I let my aching muscles relax into my coat, the collar bunching up around my cold cheeks. The fire crackled, and the smoke surrounded me, encapsulated me.
It stung my eyes and throat as I breathed; I coughed, but didn't move. I liked doing this to myself. I like being in charge of the dangers I put myself through. I felt powerful...
But as soon as I heard a wheezy cough from inside my coat, I moved out of the smoke. Isaac was in a delicate state, and making him inhale smoke wasn't going to help.
As I waited for the smoke to ease, I ate some more bread, and attempted to feed Isaac some tinned baby food- he just won’t swallow! Soon, the smoke subsided, and I moved back into the direct heat of the sparking fire. Fire has always fascinated me. It's orange, red and yellow colours, roaring upwards. A miniature sun. A sun that should be in the sky.
Once, when I was 8, I set fire to a sofa in my parents 2nd apartment. I was already an avid reader, and had learnt all about the star that used to warm this earth. Yet, I didn't have the maturity to understand how big the sun actually was. I guess I thought I'd create another sun. I guess I thought I could save this earth....
Maybe I just wanted to feel the power of destroying something- just like the soul suckers had destroyed the human race.
Sparks flew onto me, scalding little brown dots onto my cream coat.
It was tranquil. Life felt okay then. I had hope, faith and ambition. We were going to get to the salvation camp. We were going to live, me and my son, with our emotions. Human.

I observed Isaac in my lap. He was already starting to inherit some of my features. My strong nose and broad mouth. He had my father’s eyes, and Karina's high cheekbones. He glowed a radiant caramel- he was salubrious.
Unnaturally radiant, he stood out amongst the shades of this world. Extraordinary. Unreal.
"But you are real", I insisted, "and will be for a long time".
Just then, the most heart-warming phenomenon occurred.
Isaac chuckled. His eyes squinted, yet brightened, and the corners of his mouth turned up into the most delightful smile. I was astounded! Grasping Isaac to my cheek, and smiled into his little soft body.
My son. The untouched. Unblemished by the long scar that was left from the soul suckers thieving touch...
“See, we're alike. You and me." I informed Isaac, who obviously didn’t understand me, but I continued.
" We can both feel, and love, and hate, be sad, be happy, be relaxed. It will be easier for you than it was for me though. You have your dad, and I didn’t have anyone. But now, life will be easier for me too, now I have you and the salvation camp..."
Isaac gurgled, and I smiled at him.
"I wasn't meant to be like this. It was all a mistake... A misunderstanding at birth..."

My mother went into labour at 2am, 19th November 4021. A doctor, specially trained by the soul suckers themselves for this exact purpose (delivering babies), was called quickly to the scene, and soon came to the conclusion that my mother would have to undergo a caesarean. Slicing quickly into the now sedated woman, the doctor cut accurately into the womb. Unfortunately, I had not been lying in position he had calculated. The sharp surgical instrument used to perform the C-Section, slashed underneath my jaw line- just the place the soul suckers use to remove a new-borns emotions.
The doctor did not realise at first, but as soon as I was washed, he discovered I had been wounded during the operation. He bandaged up the awkward wound, and then left...
2 weeks later, the soul sucker came for me. My parents had let it walk right past them, and into their room, where I had been sleeping in my cot.
It grabbed my tiny body, and jerked my soft neck to its toothless mouth...
It runner it’s long, slimy tongue under my jawline and closed its eyes...
It stopped. Something wasn't right. Inspecting my neck, it discovered the healing pink wound, almost a scar. Furious that its meal had already been consumed, it stormed off, back to wherever the soul suckers dwelled. I assume that it thought that one of its extra-terrestrial friends had already come to feed....
Of course, that last scene was all imagined by me. There was no one there to witness the soul suckers reaction. Later in my life, when I was investigating why I was different to everyone else, I had asked my mother what this pilfering villain looked like, all she ever said was, "It was tall..." in that detached manner.

“A mistake, that could of saved me a lot of hindrance... but could have cost me you, too." I finished, running my finger across Isaac's flawless cheek. His eyes fluttered to a close, and his breathing evened out. He slept, and I had to do the same.
Tomorrow I would start my hike up the mountain would start, and I needed as much rest as possible.
Settling onto my side, with Isaac wrapped up warmly; I let the basking heat and crackling sound of the fire lull me to sleep.
I dreamt of warm beaches of a time before...
Last edited by aweqs on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:00 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

This gave me hope, somehow. It reminded me there was such a thing as emotion, such a thing as love and commitment...

To me, it would be more like astonishment. All his life, he's been searching for a connection, and now he see it with his own eyes. It would be a marvelous sight.

I guessed I was getting near the edge of the dense tree's,

no apostrophe.
It stung my eyes and throat as I breathed, I
coughed, but didn't move. I liked doing this to myself.

odd follow-up sentence there. Break it into a new paragraph.

You never mentioned once before that Torin noticed his son had emotions. You'd think it would be a huge deal to him.
There's not much to critique about this chapter. Not that it was bad (it wasn't) but it doesn't seem like anything in this chapter was important to the storyline. There was the bit about trying to create a sun, which was interesting, but if the whole point of the chapter was to get to that point, you shouldn't do it. Find another place to slip it in, and skip through the boring parts of the journey.

Well, that's it for tonight. Let me know if you have any questions, like always.

btw i sent you a PM... but my computer's acting up so I'm not sure if it sent.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

My heart pumped regularly,

This information is irrevelant. A heart always pumps 'regularily', so what is the point of pointing it out?

darent

did not dare

I darent look away from the sky; I could feel the weight of Isaac's corpse on my chest.

A semicolon joins 2 sentences that are on a similar subject (though I suggest you look up the full meaning and how it's used from a more reliable source :) ). Since the weight of his corpse had nothing to do with you looking up at the sky, you should make this into 2 separate sentences.

It was cold,and my teeth were starting to chatter, so I closed my eyes, and sat up.

Too many commas
If you tell us that your teeth were chattering, or that you were shivering, it automatically tells us that you are cold. Therefore, you can leave the first bit out.
My teeth began to chatter.
That is all you really need, unless you want to say how you rubbed your shoulders for warmth, or how crystals of snow began collecting on your eyelids or something like that. I don't think you need to say how you closed your eyes, or how you sat up, since you never told us before that you were lying down.

I felt the weight of the body, tumble down my side and onto the snow beside me

no comma
try reading your story aloud (or at least loudly in your head) and see where the natural pauses are. Do you really need a breath or pause there?

how long away the mountain was.

should be how far away

This astonished me. The only time I'd ever seen emotion was through Karina when she 'took' them. All my life, i had isolated myself because of my ability. The wolved reminded me there was such a thing as emotion, such a thing as love and commitment.

nice improvment :) good job!

I guessed I was getting near the edge of the dense tree's, as the snow was thicker under my feet, and I could feel a strong wind, working its way through the trees.

Many, many commas.
The snow grew thicker under my feet as a strong wind billowed through the trees. Only minutes later, the forest ended abruptly, revealing a massive tundra.
Just something off the top of my head. It flows easily from one point to the next.

It was obvious I wasn't going any further today...

fix this ... also. It shouldn't be there.

I let my aching muscles relax into my coat, the collar bunching up around my cold cheeks.

Wow, great sentence!

The fire crackled, and the smoke surrounded me, encapsulated me.

The fire crackled, and wisps of smoke encapsulated me.
As I waited for the smoke to ease, I ate some more bread, and attempted to feed Isaac some tinned baby food- he just wont swallow! Soon, the smoke subsided, and I moved back into the direct heat of the sparking fire. Fire has always fascinated me. It's orange, red and yellow colours, roaring upwards. A miniature sun. A sun that should be in the sky.

good paragraph.
also, good idea to separate the backstory of the fire experience into the next paragraph.
Sparks flew onto me, scalding little brown dots onto my cream coat.

now you're using imagery! *claps* woohoo! :D

It was tranquil.

what was tranquil?

I had hope, faith and ambition.

comma after faith
The end of this paragraph would be a good place to break it into another chapter.

He was all ready starting to to take on some of my features.

the baby could not have grown at all in a few days. So you should say you noticed his features were like yours, not that he was developing to look like you.
Isaac chuckled.

babies don't chuckle. Say laugh or giggle here.

So for the part about how he was able to keep his emotions should be expanded on. It is such an important part to the story, and you only had a few paragraphs. It was all good, but I think you should do more. And break this up into two chapters :)
hope I helped, sorry if my advice was skimpy near the end.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend