z

Young Writers Society

Flight [ 1 ]

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 am
Teardrop says...

[ So, this is my new novel, this chapter is really not so great, oh well, I tried. : D Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading it. P.S. It's really short, I know, I might extend it or just have one of those novels with really short chapters ; D]

Cruz clutched the bouquet of white carnations in his hand. The flowers hung limply at his side, his other hand clenched into a fist. Cruz's lip trembled, and he closed his eyes as a tear dripped down his face.

"I love you, da," Cruz breathed as he choked on his tears. He let go of the bouquet and let the flowers fall to the foot of the gravestone.

"Goodbye." Cruz took one more look at the gravestone; a smooth slab of stone with his father's name, Peter Jordan, carved on the top. Beneath his name read "1980- 2030" Only fifty years old? It wasn't fair in Cruz's mind.

He turned on his heel and found his way back to the cobblestone pathway that led him out of the graveyard. Cruz pulled the black Corvette's passenger door open and stepped slowly inside the car.

Cruz didn't care to glance at the young lady sitting in the driver's seat beside him. He rested his head in his hands. His sister, Elinor, put her hand on her shoulder in attempt to comfort her eighteen year old brother beside her. Unfortunately, she failed lifting his spirits.

"We all miss da," Elinor, his older, twenty three year old sister said. Elinor stared out the front window, as she fumbled in her purse for her car keys.

Cruz glanced up at her, his eyes squinted, and red from tears. The surfing crash, unexpected to Cruz and Elinor. They were on their own now, Elinor watching Cruz at their home. Alone. Cruz remembered the one time, when he was fourteen, his father had went away on a business trip. Only supposed to be gone for a month, Peter had been gone for almost a year. They had thought they had lost him, and he would never come home, but soon he arrived back and they rejoiced.

"I'm okay," Cruz spit out, taking a deep breath. His sister smiled in the driver's seat at him, a wave of sympathy swept over her. Cruz was the closest of the family to his father. Unlike Elinor, who had been close to her mother. But their mother died in a car crash when Elinor was only eleven.

Elinor slipped the keys in, and turned them. The engine purred to life and she gently, and slowly, pressed her foot on the gas petal. The car sped off down the road towards home.

Cruz watched the little stiff black bird that's beady red eyes watched them as they drove away.

Elinor pushed open the tall door to their enormous home. Quite a big house for a small family that got smaller quickly. Their footsteps echoed across the house as Cruz skipped up the spiral staircase that wrapped above the living room ceiling. He walked down the hall upstairs. Past Elinor's room, past the bathroom, past the guest room, finally, his room. The last room in the hall.

Cruz opened the door, and stepped inside his room. The ceiling slanted over his bed, a walk in closet beside his bed side table, and a large writing desk off to the side. He flicked on the lamp and laid down on his soft bed. He wiped his eyes with the back of his hands, as tears played follow the leader down his cheeks.

Cruz needed something to take his mind off his close father's unfortunate death, so he pulled out the Bible from his bed side table, and flipped it open to around the middle, where he had left off. Though reading took his mind somewhat from the subject of death, a miserable sadness dwelled in his heart.

The door to his bedroom swung open, and Elinor stepped inside his room. Her dish water blond hair had been pulled back into a bun, her contacts had been taken out and her square glasses sat on her nose. Her white bathrobe swayed away from her body, revealing her silk pajamas as she stepped silently to Cruz's side.

She sat down beside him, her brown eyes shining,"Are you sure you're alright?"

Cruz's jaw tightened, and he closed the Bible and placed it back on the table. He looked at his sister gloomily, and shook his head as he pulled the covers over his head.

"Cruz, don't be immature. I'm sad too, there's no reason to hide it."

Cruz threw the blankets off his head, revealing his tear-stained eyes and his miserable expression. Elinor put her arm around her brother's shoulder and she began to cry too. They laid there for the whole night, crying their sorrows, unaware of the black bird with the beady red eyes watching them from outside the window.
Last edited by Teardrop on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 pm
coolperson321 says...

Aww...that's sad. The story I mean, not your writing! You are an awesome writer. You're good with descriptions, and I was able to imagine the scene clearly. I would say work on the emotion a little more. You're close, but it needs a little work. The readers should be feeling sad along with your characters. Otherwise, great job!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:26 pm
Teardrop says...

Okay! Thanks a bunches for the review!!
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke