z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 25: Unwanted Contact

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:17 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

Some dirty language and violence abound(F word, included).

Well, this is just something I've been working on. So far, this is coming out quite mediocre. I'll post it to see what everyone thinks. The plot will feel disembodied. This is just a random chapter(of my already planned but unwritten novel) I chose and decided to use to practice writing. I don't think my mind is awake enough(as the rest of me) to write any story goodly. But, uh, um... here you go. Tell me if you like it or hate it, don't be bias because of my feelings. :P

Oh, and this might give you more info to what's going on(world wise):
viewtopic.php?t=74695

Spoiler! :
---------------------------Just some notes on the characters----------------
Characters:
David- The protagonist, a person bored with his life in an underground complex, so he decided to leave and stuffs

Marcus- His bud who chased after him.

Scott- A dude who landed with an alien friend from another planted called "Eden." He had previously just escaped the Eden Federation Military after uncovering a little conspiracy that I shall not detail in this chapter.

----------------Chapter 25: Unwanted Contact--------------------
Marcus cut the engine. The boat slowed in the open ocean. David was sitting on the bench, loading his rifle. Scott sat inside with Marcus.

“I can see him out there,” said David. David readied his weapon and kneeled on a bench. He aimed at the Soldiers’ boat.

The boat was fairly small. It was metal. One small cabin with sleeping bags strewn about the floor. The door lead out to a slippery deck. There were rails on both sides and benches on the deck. At the back end, the boat was open and a small ramp lowered into the water. The only thing that came between you and the water was a little rope.

“I think he’s just patrolling around like all the others. Wait… uh, I think they might be patrolling…” he said, questioning himself, unsure of the thought. Scott came out from the cabin.

“Should I stay inside?” Scott inquired.

“The white on that Suit’s still pretty shiny. Get back in. We can’t take any chances,” said David looking away from the rifle at Scott. David peered back into the Scope. The one guys got a flashlight and binocs. They are definitely searching, but for what?”

“I don’t know,” said Scott, crouched in the doorway.

“Shit, the other guy looks—“ a bullet sounded. David dropped his weapon and hit the deck.

“Crap, what happened, David alright?” said Marcus, looking back from the dashboard.

“Yeah,” he said, “start the engine, and…pull us closer, uh…” mumbled David in stunned fear. Scott grabbed his pistol from his holster and cocked it. He ran out onto the deck and threw David into the cabin.

“Opening Fire!” Scott shot eight bullets off. A flurry of about 40 more came back, splashing in the waters and sides of the boat. The fog somewhat occluded the other boat from view.

From the other side of the battle, two Eden Corporation soldiers sat inside a boat. One had his assault rifle aimed in the direction of David’s boat, the other sat at the back of the wooden craft at the engine. He started it up, radioing in to command.

“We have discovered sentient hostiles,” said the captain. “They have responded clearly and coherently. Not like the others. The search is still pending, however, over.”

The other soldier sent a round of more fire to Scott. Scott’s suit absorbed the bullets well, this time they actually made contact. Scott grabbed the sniper calmly, an experienced soldier and still confident in the Suit’s abilities. He aimed down the scope in seconds. He lined up a shot faster than the other rifleman could, and fired. The soldier fell lifeless, falling against the direction of the boat into the captain. They both spilled into the endless depths of the ocean.

“Whew! That was a close one!” said David from the Cabin.

“It really wasn’t,” responded Scott, “isn’t that what you say everytime?”

“A catch phrase?” said Marcus, grinning. “What should I do? Continue in this direction?” David replied with a sudden “No,” he walked over to the railing and leaned on it, looking through the clearing fog.

“I think there’s an island out that way. Pull around, Marcus. Scott, can you see that big shape out there?”

“That’s definitely an Island.” said Scott.

“Marcus, try heading…east, then when we can come back around the island.”

“Why not just go straight for it? Think it’s populated? Zombies? The Eden?”

“I gotta feeling that that boat came from there. See how it’s traveling?” said David, pointing to the previously hostile boat.

“Well, I’m surprised it’s still driving unmanned and all,” said Scott. “Ghost boat?” he chuckled.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’ll take her around.” said Marcus returning to the dashboard.

“Here we are.” said Marcus. Scott got up from the bench. David still sat on the other bench, gazing out across the shore of the island.

“David?” said the two.

“Yeah? What? I gotta bad feeling about this place.” The island was mountainous, packed densely with jungle vegetation. A thick fog still sat around. It was a wall; you could see for about 30 yards, but after that, it was a thick haze that nothing could be seen through.

“Hey, I see movement,” said Scott. He sat down next to David, “they don’t have weapons. They’re just kind of wandering around.”

“So, zombies? The thing I questioned before about, but nobody gave a damn to respond to?”

“Yes,” said Scott.

“I think Eden’s here too,” said David, getting up. “Grab that assault rifle for me, Marcus. Scott, take that sniper. Marcus, you can use that P90 from the Shelter.”

(Note to reader: The Shelter is a large underground complex that was meant to house the remnant of human society, built by the Exodus. You’re not missing anything, that’s all in the beginning of the book.)

“Why the hell do I always do everything?” said Marcus, grinning.

“Come on, we need to move before night fall.” David hopped the railing and landed on the beach. Marcus brought out the weapons and their respective holstering. Scott handed the rifle down to David, then hopped the railing himself. Marcus walked back inside the cabin for a moment, then came out with a backpack on, and two more in his hands.

“If we’re going into a Jungle, we’re gonna need some stuff.” He finnaly vaulted the railing.

“This shouldn’t be a night mission. We just gotta get in, find any clues, then get out.” David said, equipping his rifle, safety off.

“We’re just gonna go in shooting? You fucking crazy? What if there’s Eden Mercs here? Just wanna get your ass blown off? I sure as hell don’t!” Marcus retorted in sudden anger.

“Dude, chill out. If Eden is here, they are going to find us from you shouting before we even fire our guns.” David replied, with a calmness the others were not used to.

David walked up the beach, eyeing the zombies. Scott and Marcus trailed behind him. Scott whispered to Marcus, “He’s either overtired, battle-hyped, or worried beyond worry. I’ve seen this before, and it always ends badly. You stay back, and give me your gun. I’m not gonna let him commit suicide.” The hardened warrior activated his power suit, readied his weapon, then ran forward, seeing David put his finger on the trigger.

The bullets starting flying, David spraying a seemingly endless supply of bullets into the vegetation. And that’s when the bullets came back. First they were mindless volleys like David’s own, then coherent streams of fire both inside and out of the jungle wall. Scott ran forward, pushed David back to the ground once again, and took the full force of the bullets, once again. Three Eden Corporation troops jumped from the cover of the trees onto the beach,

Scott took them out with ease, barely feeling anything relative to a bullet. He channeled the suits energy into it’s legs. He jumped into the tall trees with deadly coordination and accuracy. David got up from the sand, rearming himself. He shot once again into the woods. Scott stood in the tree, now able to see the “battlefield” more clearly.

About twelve zombies stood around, each carrying a weapon; that explained the uncoordinated volleys. The number of bullets that shot consistently, however, didn’t quite match up with what he saw; there were more Eden troops.

-----------------------Ends a bit abruptly, sorry.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:03 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Marcus cut the engine. The boat slowed in the open ocean. David was sitting on the bench, loading his rifle. Scott sat inside with Marcus. To me, the choppy sentence structure in the beginning is a little off-putting. There are many ways you can make the description more exciting.
“I can see him out there,” said David. David readied his weapon and kneeled on a bench. He aimed at the Soldiers’ boat. I think these sentences can be combined to make one full, complete sentence. “I can see him out there,” muttered David, as he readied his weapon and fell to a kneeling position on a bench.
The boat was fairly small. It was metal. One small cabin with sleeping bags strewn about the floor. The door lead out to a slippery deck. There were rails on both sides and benches on the deck. At the back end, the boat was open and a small ramp lowered into the water. The only thing that came between you and the water was a little rope.
“I think he’s just patrolling around like all the others. Wait… uh, I think they might be patrolling…” he said, questioning himself, unsure of the thought. Scott came out from the cabin.
“Should I stay inside?” Scott inquired.
“The white on that Suit’s still pretty shiny hm, I didn‘t really get this part. . Get back in. We can’t take any chances,” said David looking away from the rifle at Scott. David peered back into the Scope. You forgot the quotes here The one guys got a flashlight and binocs. They are definitely searching, but for what?”
“I don’t know,” said Scott, crouched in the doorway.
“Shit, the other guy looks—“ a bullet sounded. David dropped his weapon and hit the deck.
“Crap, what happened, David alright?” said Marcus, looking back from the dashboard.
“Yeah,” he said, “start the engine, and…pull us closer, uh…” mumbled David in stunned fear. Scott grabbed his pistol from his holster and cocked it. He ran out onto the deck and threw David into the cabin.
“Opening Fire!” Scott shot eight bullets off. A flurry of about 40 more came back, splashing in the waters and sides of the boat. The fog somewhat occluded the other boat from view.
From the other side of the battle, two Eden Corporation soldiers sat inside a boat. One had his assault rifle aimed in the direction of David’s boat, the other sat at the back of the wooden craft at the engine. He started it up, radioing in to command.
“We have discovered sentient hostiles,” said the captain. “They have responded clearly and coherently. Not like the others. The search is still pending, however, over.”
The other soldier sent a round of more fire to Scott. Scott’s suit absorbed the bullets well, this time they actually made contact. Scott grabbed the sniper calmly, an experienced soldier and still confident in the Suit’s abilities. He aimed down the scope in seconds. He lined up a shot faster than the other rifleman could, and fired. The soldier fell lifeless, falling against the direction of the boat into the captain. They both spilled into the endless depths of the ocean.
“Whew! That was a close one!” said David from the Cabin.
“It really wasn’t,” responded Scott, “isn’t that what you say everyspacetime?” I really like his response.
“A catch phrase?” said Marcus, grinning. “What should I do? Continue in this direction?” David replied with a sudden “No,” as he walked over to the railing and leaned on it, looking through the clearing fog.
“I think there’s an island out that way. Pull around, Marcus. Scott, can you see that big shape out there?”
“That’s definitely an Island island should be lowercase.” said Scott.
“Marcus, try heading…east, then when we can come back around the island.”
“Why not just go straight for it? Think it’s populated? Zombies? The Eden?”
“I gotta feeling that that I don’t really like the double that. That ‘the’ boat would sound better, I think. boat came from there. See how it’s traveling?” said David, pointing to the previously hostile boat.
“Well, I’m surprised it’s still driving unmanned and all,” said Scott. “Ghost boat?” he chuckled.
“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’ll take her around.” said Marcus returning to the dashboard.

“Here we are.” said Marcus. Scott got up from the bench. David still sat on the other bench, gazing out across the shore of the island.
“David?” said the two.
“Yeah? What? I gotta bad feeling about this place.” The island was mountainous, packed densely with jungle vegetation. A thick fog still sat around. It was a wall; you could see for about 30 always write out numbers; thirty yards, but after that, it was a thick haze that nothing could be seen through.
“Hey, I see movement,” said Scott. He sat down next to David, “they don’t have weapons. They’re just kind of wandering around.”
“So, zombies? The thing I questioned before about, but nobody gave a damn to respond to?”
“Yes,” said Scott.
“I think Eden’s here too,” said David, getting up. “Grab that assault rifle for me, Marcus. Scott, take that sniper. Marcus, you can use that P90 from the Shelter.”
(Note to reader: The Shelter is a large underground complex that was meant to house the remnant of human society, built by the Exodus. You’re not missing anything, that’s all in the beginning of the book.)
“Why the hell do I always do everything?” said Marcus, grinning.
“Come on, we need to move before night fall nightfall is one word.” David hopped the railing and landed on the beach. Marcus brought out the weapons and their respective holstering. Scott handed the rifle down to David, then hopped the railing himself. Marcus walked back inside the cabin for a moment, then came out with a backpack on, and two more in his hands.
“If we’re going into a Jungle, we’re gonna need some stuff.” He finnaly finally vaulted the railing.
“This shouldn’t be a night mission. We just gotta get in, find any clues, then get out.” David said, equipping his rifle, safety off.
“We’re just gonna go in shooting? You fucking crazy? What if there’s Eden Mercs here? Just wanna get your ass blown off? I sure as hell don’t!” Marcus retorted in sudden anger.
“Dude, chill out. If Eden is here, they are going to find us from you shouting before we even fire our guns.” David replied, with a calmness the others were not used to.
David walked up the beach, eyeing the zombies. Scott and Marcus trailed behind him. Scott whispered to Marcus, “He’s either overtired, battle-hyped, or worried beyond worry. I’ve seen this before, and it always ends badly. You stay back, and give me your gun. I’m not gonna let him commit suicide.” The hardened warrior activated his power suit, readied his weapon, then ran forward, seeing David put his finger on the trigger.
The bullets starting flying, David spraying a seemingly endless supply of bullets into the vegetation. And that’s when the bullets came back. First they were mindless volleys like David’s own, then coherent streams of fire both inside and out of the jungle wall. Scott ran forward, pushed David back to the ground once again, and took the full force of the bullets, once again. Three Eden Corporation troops jumped from the cover of the trees onto the beach, period
Scott took them out with ease, barely feeling anything relative to a bullet. He channeled the suits energy into it’s legs I‘ve been confused to what a ‘suit‘ was since the beginning, but now I‘m thinking it‘s some kind of armor. . He jumped into the tall trees with deadly coordination and accuracy. David got up from the sand, rearming himself. He shot once again into the woods. Scott stood in the tree, now able to see the “battlefield” more clearly.

First, I think you should consider changing the rating on this from 12+ to 16+ just in case. It didn’t offend me or anything, but I know in movies dropping the f-bomb once or twice automatically bumps the rating up to R. So be careful with that.

Anyways, I think you have a good story here. I’m interested to see how these characters will develop, and what else you’ve got in store for us in this world of chaos. This was a pretty short chapter, so there’s not much I can add, but I do want to say something that I noticed in the very beginning. When you were giving us quick backgrounds on the characters

David- The protagonist, a person bored with his life in an underground complex, so he decided to leave and stuffs
Marcus- His bud who chased after him.
Scott- A dude who landed with an alien friend from another planted called "Eden." He had previously just escaped the Eden Federation Military after uncovering a little conspiracy that I shall not detail in this chapter.

The descriptions just seemed very lacking. If the most interesting thing about the protagonist is how bored of life he is, that might be a problem. Isn’t there anything else you can add? In the story, you said it was ‘David’s boat’, does that mean he was a sailor? Did he love the sea? I love characters with quirks.
But it was really Marcus’s and Scott’s descriptions that bothered me. ‘The bud’ and ‘the dude’. Anyone who knows me knows that I think a story’s characters are the most important part by far. You have to make your characters enjoyable or interesting enough that we want to read more about them, and can make a real connection with them. The last thing you want to do is make them seem one-dimensional. You should never make ‘supporting’ characters, people that exist only to benefit your protagonist. No one wants to be known as ‘David’s buddy’ or ‘That dude from Eden’.

Oh, and this may just be coincidence, but are you familiar with Final Fantasy? You’ve used names like Eden and Leon and Exodus, which are all from FF.

Well I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any questions! Keep writing :D
~blacksheep
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko