z

Young Writers Society

Orphans: chapter 1

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 am
HappyDays says...

Shalom, hola, aloha... whatever floats your boat! :D First time writing in sci-fi, although I particularly enjoy the movies.. thought I'd give it shot. I haven't really found a section I excel yet at... so I've been jumping around and trying a little bit of everything :) Please critique, constructive, yup. Just thought it was interesting idea... don't worry about background. I'm planning to elaborate more in the second chapter. That's really it... enjoy! :smt003

The bright lights of the ship’s hospital ward shined down. I ran from room to room, sliding along the smooth cream walls. Suddenly a door slid open around the corner. A young nurse walked distractedly out; muttering to herself in some foreign language. I pinched myself for being caught off guard and then proceeded with my hunt. Finally I found it, Room 619, the room that contained my mother. I quietly opened the door and slipped inside, letting it slam behind me. The clang of the door closing woke her up. She smiled weakly when she saw me and made an effort to sit up. I stood for a moment, just taking it all in. The tubes that were providing her essential nutrients, the machine that was breathing for her, it wasn’t right. This couldn’t be my mom, the woman who so cheerfully shook me awake each day. This couldn’t be the woman who whistled when performing her weekly lavatory cleaning. This was just a shell of her body, the spirit wasn't there anymore. It was if it had flown away, but left enough to give her some character. I rushed to her side and grabbed her hand.

“Mom, are you going to be okay? What did the doctor say? I haven’t told Lisa yet, should I tell her soon? How did it happen? I could kill myself for leaving you alone...” Words came out of mouth like water comes out of a faucet, except you couldn’t turn my mouth off with a simple command. She laughed weakly and patted my head.

“Mikey, it’s not good. The doctor’s think I have something that people on Earth used to call cancer. Before we had to evacuate, scientists were working on finding a cure for it, there were different types. Some were more serious than others, but they had methods for curing patients and sometimes they got better. But we don’t have that technology anymore. We had to leave it behind and when the Earth exploded we lost it forever. Michael, tell Lisa that I’m in the infirmary. But don’t tell her why; I’d like to do that by myself.” She stoked my forearm slowly, her eyes brimming with tears. I knew she was trying to be strong for me. To provide some sort of comfort, but it wasn’t working. I felt like screaming at everybody, why didn’t they take the machines? Why did the stupid Earth have to explode? Why couldn’t this happen to somebody else? My mom sighed, as if reading my mind. “I know it’s not fair Mikey, but you’ll have to be strong. This is life; it’s already a blessing that we were given it. Think of how lucky we are that we made it on this space ship.” She gestured around her. “Mikey we are truly blessed.” She squeezed my hand.

I certainly don’t feel blessed, I thought.

“How long do you have?” I was near the point of sobbing and I couldn’t hold it in much longer. At the question her face fell.

“Not as long as I’d like. You better go get Lisa.” She smiled sadly and playfully shooed me away. I gulped and turned towards the door, not wanting to leave her for a single second. As I quietly opened the door my mom called out after me. “Oh, and Mikey? When I’m gone you better not skip duty like this!” She scolded me lovingly then settled back down into her bed. I gave her one last backwards glance, machines and all, and then silently slipped out.
I ran swiftly across the ship, Lisa would be learning about Earth history right now. It was so long since I had been in school… what class room was it? I stopped short at a map of the ship, tracing the path to her classroom and memorizing it. I walked quietly down the hall and towards Lisa’s class. Suddenly the truth hit me, the reality of the situation. My mom was going to die; Lisa and I would be orphans. I couldn’t bear to imagine what would happen if we became orphans. Hot tears overcame me and I brushed them angrily out of my eyes. I had to be strong for mom, hadn’t she told me to?
When I arrived at the correct room I took a deep breath then knocked. My old Earth History teacher, Mr. Carlson, opened the door. He looked surprised to see me but ushered me in.

“And to what honor do I have the pleasure of entertaining you?” He winked at me, a playful smile danced across his lips. I smiled back at him, when I was in school he had always been my favorite teacher. Being recruited for ship repair had been one of the worst things that ever happened to me.

“I just need Lisa for a sec; my mom wants to see her.” I wasn’t sure if he had heard about her, as my mom was one of his fellow teachers. His face became grim and he shot me a sympathetic look, apparently he had.

“Of course, take as long as you’d like Lisa.” He gestured to her to pack up her stuff. She shot me a questioning glance with her cat eyes. A painful pang went through me; Lisa’s eyes were so much like moms, while I got boring brown eyes from dad. Dad, another painful memory crossed my mind. Dad had given up his seat for a pregnant lady, since he had been a military leader he said he could probably hitch a ride on the spaceship the leaders were on. But when the spaceships lifted off they got off course, even now we were still trying to find each other after nearly two years of drifting. Unless we were united together again Lisa and I would be orphans. And on this ship orphans were just extra mouths to feed… hadn’t we seen the rare orphan being kicked off board, left to die in space? I shuddered, imagining that happening to Lisa and I was just too much to bear right now. But what if that was our fate? Doomed to leave this life surrounded by stars...

Thanks for reading! (And hopefully critiquing constructively!)
~Hugs,
HappyDays =3 :D
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.
It just means that you're looking beyond the
imperfections." ~Unknown Author

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Lisa’s eyes were so much like moms,

Mom's

while I got boring brown eyes from dad.

Dad.

Lisa and I was just too much to bear right now.

Lisa and me.

II. PURPLE PROSE

Okay, look at this sentence:

"I walked down the corridor."

or:

"I ambled peacefully along the short stretch of serenely white-painted corridor."

Alright, now, in some cases, the second one is loads better. I'll admit it. But when you have five sentences one after another like that, it begins to get too much for the reader. And that's what we call being purple. Making your writing really heavy and even a little pretentious (or a lot pretentious, in the case of authors like Christopher Paolini).

I'm not saying you're pretentious! But from reading this, I feel like you're trying too hard. So my first advice, as my advice often is, is to relax. If it's a box, call it a box, not a six-sided shape all sides having four corners. And cut down on the adverbs. Adverbs are to be used sparingly. Otherwise they make your prose really clunky.

So Number One, relax. And number two, if you can, read your work aloud to yourself. You'll see when something's too long-winded or ridiculous. Trust me.

III. OVERALL

Love the concept!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone