z

Young Writers Society

Removed

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 am
LJM says...

Last edited by LJM on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed May 25, 2011 7:36 am
laylaflame says...

Hey there!:)
I really like your idea here, reminds me of bits from The Hunger Games' Series. The writing is welldone, though there was a few little mistakes that everyone makes. I also like the name you've chosen; Isla.. :D but I don't know how to pronouce it properly; iz-la, eyes-la..
I really want to read the next chapter! Can't wait:D
-Layla Flame
“Love is the answer
At least, for most of the questions in my heart, like
Why are we here and where do we go
And how come it's so hard”
― Jack Johnson

Random avatar

Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 pm
LJM says...

Thanks! It's pronounced EYE-la :)

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 pm
Stori says...

This is something else.

When Mayor Kane raised his eyebrows, still waiting for a response, I licked my lips.

I don't know for sure, but I think I've heard of a Mayor Kane before. It could be just my imagination.

or worse a whipping, I was running out of chances.

You've got a bit of a run-on here. Just g'head and replace that comma with a full stop.

Avery Maddox stood in front of me, one of my friends.

The word order seems a little odd, but maybe it's the norm in future society.

Overall- this has potential energy. Get it? Anyway, keep up the good work.

Random avatar

Thu May 26, 2011 7:26 pm
LJM says...

Thanks for your input! And now thinking about it, that name does sound familiar. I'll have to maybe rework it. Thanks again for reading!!

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun May 29, 2011 11:40 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Ooh, I liked this, mainly because of the tone of Isla's narration. It clipped along and was interesting. I want to see what happens next!

But then again, our relationship was nothing like a brother-sister relationship...

So... why did she just say that he was like a brother to her? Imma confused.

he stopped, looking more furious than I had ever seen him in our year of knowing each other.

Okay, so he went from sort of blowing off her fear to becoming really involved in it in the space of a few sentences. Why the sudden change around? If it is because the Cybrates are really dangerous, then why did he sort of joke about it beforehand? If he really is just joking, why did he suddenly become really furious? I'd say stick with one response or the other and play it through. Maybe have him be joking the whole time? You can have a serious edge to a joke without getting actually angry.

Mmmkay, so I would have liked to have seen a little more of her history with Linx before this. I mean, it all just sort of pops out in one fell info-dump. So we don't have time to really react, or know how Isla is reacting.

I think this is because we haven't seen all this much of Isla as a person yet. We got a nice little glimpse of her relationship with Avery, but as for the rest of the world, all we know is that she gets into trouble sometimes. Beyond that, we haven't seen much of anything. Try giving us a little more time with the characters before we get this big conflict. Let us get attached to them a little, explore the world a little with them, before we get involved with the Cybrates. The conflict doesn't mean anything to us unless we know which side we're supposed to be on. All I see here is a troublemaking girl with a cult-like group of friends torturing an innocent kid. That might very well be the wrong impression, but that's the impression that I got. Take the time to instill some sympathies with a particular character and then the emotion will come when you play with those sympathies.

On to the next chapter! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 pm
spiderman says...

I liked this chapter. The wrods seemed to just flow together. You set us up with a history of the main chracter and a setting for the story. I disagree with gryphonfledgling as he ask for more info and less info dumps. I would rather see the info spread out across the chapters.
Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses

WHISPERS IN THE DARK LYRICS - SKILLET

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain