Young Writers Society

Chapter 1

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 pm
RitingFreek says...

Chapter 1

It was a full moon.

I shivered as a ripple of power shot through my body, tensing my muscles.

"Betty," Denise warned, "Wait."

But it was so hard. I was ready to take off, to join in The Hunt for the very first time.
In a wolf pack, the first hunt is like their rite of passage. In a werewolf pack, it's no different.

"Now?" I whispered, fidgeting nervously. What was taking them so long?

"Wait for it..." Denise whispered back, "Wait for the signal..."

Lightning tore across the sky, blinding me momentarily. I yelped, blushing with embarassment when several people said, "Shush!"

"What's the signal again?" I asked but, before Denise could answer me, a loud howl pierced the silence of the night.

All around me, transformations were taking place. People were screaming in pain as their frames stretched and morphed, bones grating against eachother. The transformation from a human to a wolf is not a pleasant one. You body goes through several different changes, all in about the space of thirty seconds. But, for such a cool second form, I'd say it was worth it.

"Oh!" I said, then started transforming myself.

The pain you feel when you transform is indescribable. If I tried to tell you exactly what it felt like, I'd be at loss for words. Because, I thought, there is no other pain like it.

When I was done, I wasn't a blond-haired teenage girl anymore.

I was a white-pelted, blue-eyed wolf, running into the night with my pack mates.

"Hey, Nick!" I shouted, waving him down. Some of my elder pack mates looked at me with disapproval, but I ignored them.

"Hey Betty," Nick said, smiling.

Nick's smile... it was amazing. I think his smile was so beautiful because he didn't just smile with his lips, he also smiled with his eyes; his sea-green eyes that, everytime he looked at me, light up like a million stars.

"Did you catch anything?" I asked, grabbing his hand. We started walking around the edge of the clearing, swinging our hands between us.

"Na," he said, "Nothing but a squirrel. You?"

I bit my lip.

I had caught something, actually, but I hadn't brought it back.

"It was dark," I muttered, "I didn't know that it was Bambi."

Nick laughed but, seeing the look on my face, brought my hand up to his lips and kissed my knuckles.

"I think Bambi would make a delicious snack," he said, licking his lips. I laughed and punched his arm.

"You're horrible!" I said.

"What did I do?" Nick asked, "You're the one who killed it!"

I rolled my eyes but wrapped my arm around his waist and leaned against him.

"That was so amazing," I sighed, "I mean, I didn't really catch anything but... it was such a rush, ya' know?" Nick nodded, the same awe-struck look in his eye that I'm sure was in mine.

"Hey, Betty," my Uncle Andrew called. I let go of Nick and took two steps away from him quickly, and Uncle Andrew came over.

Uncle Andrew was like my dad, in a way. Since both of my parents had died in the Attack of 2045, the year I was born, and Uncle Andrew was my only living relative, he had raised me. Sometimes I even accidentally called him "Dad".

"Uh, hi Uncle Andrew," I said, my cheeks flaming. "'Sup?" Uncle Andrew's brow rose considerably high as he looked back and forth between Nick and me.

"Hello Nicholas," he said, nodding at Nick, "It's nice to see you again."

"You as well," Nick said too-politely. Again? I thought, glancing back at Nick, who simply shrugged.

"So-" I began.

"Right. Betty, follow me. The Elders want to have a private meeting with you," Uncle Andrew said, holding out his arm. When I didn't take it he shrugged -a hint of a hurt look on his face- and started walking toward the Meeting Tent.

"I think that's my queue," I said to Nick, sighing, "See you tomor-?"

Nick broke my sentence in half when he grabbed my face and kissed me.

"I love you, Betty," he said, his voice urgent, "You know that, right?"

"Of course," I whispered, touching my lips. I could still feel the kiss lingering there. "I love you too, Nick." It was funny. I had known he had loved me, and he had known that I loved him, but we had never actually exchanged the words before. It felt... nice to finally do it.

"Betty?" Uncle Andrew called, looking at me over his shoulder. Nick let go of me with a final kiss on the forehead and I ran to catch up with my uncle, who was still looking at Nick when I got to him.

Was it just me, or did he just mouth, "I'm sorry", to Nick?

"Betty," Uncle Andrew begged, "Please listen to reason."

I wouldn't look at him. My eyes were stinging with tears, my vision was blurred.

"It is for the good of the pack," Elder Annabeth said in a quivering voice. "You know how dangerous the Alphas can be. They were the ones who killed your parents!"

My head snapped up and I glared at her.

"My parents have nothing to do with this!" I shouted, "And I want to keep it that way!"

"Betty, please," Uncle Andrew said, "Control your temper!" I glared at him for a minute then shook my head.

"This is bull shit," I muttered, "I'm not going to do this."

"You have to," the alpha male of our pack, Stephen, said sternly, "We're not giving you a choice."

"I'm in love with Nick!" I snarled at him, jumping to my feet, "I will not get married to somebody who I don't know and whose parents killed my parents just because I'm the dead alphas' daughter!"

For a few seconds, it was quiet as death as the Alphas and Elders inspected me curiously.

"Betty," Stephen said finally, "I can't believe you would be so selfish. I thought you were a humble, sweet girl."

"You think that I'm the one being selfish?" I asked, outraged, "You're the one-"

"Who is asking for your cooperation in order to save the Delta Pack from extinction," Mia, Stephen's wife finished for me.

I was struck silent for a second, surprised.

"Save us from extinction?" I asked, quieter now, "What do you mean?"

"Haven't you noticed our slowly depleating numbers? Haven't you been paying attention as, every night, we announced a new death? We are arranging you to be married to the heir of the Alpha Pack as conditions of a treaty, Betty, and for no other reason. Your marriage to Dylan is a last resort. You alone can save us."

The weight of Stephen's words grew as he spoke. With every syllable I felt a heavier and heavier weight on my shoulders until I couldn't stand to hold it any longer; I collapsed to a sobbing heap.

How could they put all of this on my shoulders? How could they rely on me, a 15 year old girl who just had her first hunt, to save the whole pack?

It was just too much.

"Somebody take her back to her tent," Mia murmured while I cried, "She needs rest."
Last edited by RitingFreek on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
:)~sMILEY fACE~(:
Riting Freek
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing- that's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 am
Sannah says...

I really like this and am going to read the second chapter after I finish reviewing this! :D I would suggest adding adding an extra line between paragraphs, makes a story easier to read, you know? I like where the plot is going but it would be even better if you added some more descriptions about the scenery, characters, emotions, ect. Then we could be right in Betty's shoes and experience what she experiences. I like how Betty acts and speaks just like a teenager, it makes her easy to relate to (even if she is a werewolf). Please keep writing this story :)
"Raise your voice every single time they try and shut your mouth." My Chemical Romance
"I will never cease to fly if held down and I will always reach too high." Vanessa Carlton
"And rest assured, cause' dreams don't turn to dust." Owl City

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:26 am
crescent says...

I like this a lot actually. Out of curiosity, why did you make this take place in the future though? I read the second chapter first and I can't wait to read more! :) Keep on writing!
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am
Kaijudospartan says...

Ok... A bit too much mushy stuff for me, but the action and description are good.
We are Legion.

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.
— Sylvia Plath