z

Young Writers Society

Blur the Lines - Part One - Chapters 1 - 3

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 am
CRL says...

[Note, this is the first part, please read this before reading any later parts]

I would try to explain the plot, but really I haven't figured out a lot of it out yet and the rest pretty much explains itself. So I hope you enjoy it, and review as much as you possibly can! :wink:

BLUR THE LINES
PART ONE - ALIGNMENT

CHAPTER ONE
The night sky was suddenly split open by a million shafts of blazing light as the Mach Ones blasted over the deserted streets and derelict houses of Annandale, North Dakota. The air was filled with the screeching of flight and the cracks of a thousand sonic-booms. A single stray dog looked up laxly before returning to his steak bone, gnawed to the core days before. A pair of newborn kittens whimpered, curling against their mother who watched the dancing shapes in the sky with the wary eye of a protector. A snake winding its way through an abandoned power plant, looking like just another strand of wire, peered questioningly at the source of the unique vibrations. And the few people that remained in the ruined city stared in blatant horror as the demons of the Capital closed in on their destination. Mach Ones they were called, because they could break the speed of sound a thousand times over without wearing a single bolt, but they had gained another nickname through fear and power. They were called Exterminators, and that was what they did.
The first of the fleet of seventeen, marked on the side with the Capital’s symbol, pulled into an upward roll over the center of the city and then finally coasted into a slow, steady curve over the once magnificent city hall. The rest of the group dispersed, surrounding their leader in a close yet loose circle, covering the city to the surrounding wall. For three minutes they circled, ensuring that each of their partners had gained their position. And then the captain gave the order.
Seventeen hatches opened in the hull of seventeen planes and out fell seventeen elongated capsules, each painted in alternating stripes of black and red. They dropped the thousands of feet in seconds, watched by the terrified few, each person hoping that they were figments of a mass dream. They all touched the ground at the same instant, exactly as was intended. There was a simultaneous crash, one second of suspended disbelief, and then the warheads exploded in a blast powerful enough to blow the leaves from trees fifty miles away, completely obliterating any sign that the city of Annandale, North Dakota, had ever existed. The planes, Mach Ones, Exterminators, circled for another minute, each pilot carefully watching the ground for the remotest sign of life. And then, one by one, they turned and shot back across the sky, creating a series of shock waves heard around the world. The Exterminators had finished their work, and were returning to their hangar until they were called upon again.

CHAPTER TWO
Around the world those thunder-cracks were heard with a mixture of apprehension and relief. People with relatives in other cities immediately picked up their telephones and dialed their numbers with shaking hands. Others logged onto the remains of the once proud Internet, trying to find the government report detailing what had been eliminated. Still others flipped on their flat-screen televisions, remnants of a past time, switching frantically between channels to find where the Exterminators had paid their visit. In the next few hours peddlers in the streets would sell hundreds of bogus newspapers, each claiming that every city from Los Angeles to Tokyo had been wiped off the map, each earning enough for him or herself to live on until at least the next extermination. And inside his one-story house, amid the screaming of tens of young children and the groans of their older caretakers, Xavier closed his eyes and tried to break through the haze of terror falling upon his city.
Eventually of course he could no longer block out the raucous screaming from inside and the frantic shouting from outside, so Xavier headed for his hideaway. Most days it was an ordeal sneaking across the kitchen, but as there was no reason for the cooks to be exempt from the uproar he knew it would be easy. As he peered into the room he saw each of the five in some state of shock, and it was no trouble for him to slide five feet to under the sink in the near right corner. The crawlspace was where it always was, hidden in the junction of corners and blocked from view by a janitor’s cart that hadn’t moved since the day Xavier had first arrived. However what had once been an easy fit had become a tighter squeeze as the years had gone by and Xavier thought with dejection that very soon he would be too large to fit through this particular crawlspace. Well then, I’ll find another way. He thought. It wasn’t as if anyone would notice a random teenager wandering aimlessly through the halls of the dormitory, the caretakers had enough to worry about. But he pushed that from his head as he slipped deeper and deeper into the bowels of the building, the space around him gradually widening until he was in more of a tunnel than a crawlspace. Slowly the walls transformed from cheap sheet-metal to old and crumbling brick as he left the area under the building and entered the long-unused sewers of the city. Ironically, what had once been the city’s waste disposal system was now cleaner than the streets themselves. Waste was now incinerated… it was more productive, and the sewers had been left in disrepair. Now the water that ran through the underground tunnels was cleaner than most of the drinking water, and the only evidence that anything fouler than frogs had once inhabited these passageways was the subtle odor of forgotten decay. The light was low but still substantial, created by strange bioluminescent fish that glowed with a soft yellow hue like fireflies. When he had visited the sewers in his younger years Xavier would stare in wonder at these fish for hours on end, entranced by their simple ability to create something that he had been taught only God had the right to create. Still, in what he thought was his sixteenth year; they fascinated him and afforded him a sense of wonder in a world where any kind of wonder was short-lived and fabricated. They were his secret, his lighthouse in a sea of crashing waves. They were the proof of a lie, a lie taught to him and everyone he had ever known. And in its own strange way, that gave him hope. And in a world where Exterminators roamed the skies and greed ruled the streets hope was a rare occurrence.
In the end Xavier had no idea how long he had sat in that one spot in his secret home, watching the fish of wonder flutter back and forth through their watery adobe. All he felt was the sudden spike of hunger stab through his gut, and he attempted to rise. Yet it took him three times before his spine became loose enough for him to move, and he heard at least twenty cracks in his back before he managed to stand again. I’ve spent at least a day down here. He thought, his conviction real. Maybe more. In reality he had been sitting by the underground river for only around ten hours… but in this world time had become as blurred as the lines that bound it and a complete rotation of the Earth no longer defined the standard unit of time. Days had become meaningless. Hours were unknown, unkept, uncared for. Minutes had ceased to matter. Time was relative to the mind that controlled it, and as Xavier crawled back up the rusted ladder to the hole that would take him back to the dormitory it could have been ten hours or ten days since he had last traversed the stretch of broken concrete and dust that had lain undisturbed, except by him, for decades. And as he prepared to return to that world where the lines had been blurred beyond recognition, he turned back just once to regard the strange and wondrous creations that swam through their underground city. And, even if it was just his imagination, he knew that he saw the fish blink their lights softly, as if to wish farewell to their only companion for the long and lonely days and nights in their stretch of river. Elated slightly by the thought, he smiled, and crawled back through the passageway. Goodbye. He thought, something that in another time may have been considered childish for a sixteen year-old. Yet in this era Xavier was just one of the masses, neglected by the world itself, who had never grown up in spirit. He was alone among many, a stranger among strangers. The old lines had been blurred, erased, fogged beyond belief. New lines had been drawn, by the Capital and by the world, and now they themselves were becoming blurred not with age but with disregard. The world was falling apart, and no one seemed ready to save it.

CHAPTER THREE
Chaos attacked the streets of Houston like a rabid animal as one of the only remaining old world cities was surrounded by the blasting whir of helicopter rotors and the shrill ringing of police sirens. Terrified people dashed through the streets, throwing themselves into buildings that seconds later exploded with the sound of millions of firecrackers. Those that could not were plowed down in hundreds upon hundreds by impartial, sweeping gunfire. The world was in an uproar, and the Capital had sent troops to moderate. A weak rebellion had arisen and before it could so much as spread its wings it had been quelled. It’s leader, a middle-aged man named Abraham, had been shot with a hollow-point round, his head exploding like a grapefruit in the midst of the charge on City Hall, his followers scattering like confetti in a breeze. Now they scrambled along with the masses, everyone paying the price for the attempted insurrection. Policemen dashed through the streets, shooting anything and everything that moved. People expired on the burning asphalt, staring up at the smoggy sky and wondering what they had ever done to deserve such a death.
However none of the policemen noticed a young girl dashing through the backstreets, leaping over rubble like a gazelle and dashing through alleyways faster than her worn sneakers could bear. She didn’t look back; doing so would waste precious time and even more precious breath. The scenery around her was in a blur, sooty factories and dilapidated buildings passing by in a mixed palate of muted color. The sirens grew fainter and fainter in the distance until they faded altogether, and the menacing slicing of the rotors became background noise. Only then did Esti finally stop running, nearly falling over as sudden exhaustion and fatigue set in. The best she could do was lean against a building, panting crazily, trying to suck in as much air as her hyperventilating lungs could process. She hardly remembered any of the crazed moments before the charge; it was all a collage of incoherent images quickly fading from his mind, the chants, the insanely giddy feeling of elation and achievement that came with the idea of the rebellion. The only clear instant was the moment when the hollow-point round, shot by a policeman standing on the steps of City Hall, had smashed through Abraham’s head. That image would be fixed in her mind forever, as the last moment of deranged sanity before hell set in.
And then she had been running… running… knowing that any moment she would feel a searing point of pain as a bullet pierced her body yet still pulling at all the energy she could muster to keep going. And in the end she had beat the odds. She had survived. She… had… survived… … …

Minutes passed by with agonizing slowness as Esti struggled to remain conscious, knowing that if she were to faint here she would probably never wake up. Before her eyes the world swam in an out of focus, blurred to the point of unrecognizability and then sliding back into perfect alignment, angles sharpening to the finest points and changing the world into a mass of blocks and geometric shapes. More than once she felt it slipping away from her, and it was only with every ounce of mental power that she was able to rope herself back in. The moon had risen fully in the sky overhead, a sight unnoticed as she leaned against the wall, her only refuge from the hurricane of darkness attempting to sweep her away. You cannot fall. She thought doggedly, pulling at fleeting scraps of resolve. You cannot fall. If you fall you will die. If you fall you will die.
Still she sank down into a crouch; the futile energy left in her system not enough to sustain her body’s needs. She closed her eyes, clenching them shut, and then struggling to open them. Her eyelids felt as if fifty pound weights had been stapled to them, impossible to keep from sliding shut. Exhaustion had nearly overcome her. Her lungs ached. Her heart still pounded. Every inch of her body was being assaulted by pain of every kind. She had run miles through dark alleys trying to escape, falling more than once and always getting back up. And now it was returning to haunt her. Esti’s last memory of the city of Houston was of that bleak backstreet filled with the decrepit remains of houses and burnt out shells of factories, and of a tall, dark, menacing figure walking toward her as everything else dissolved into darkness.
Last edited by CRL on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 am
Bromthebard says...

Wow, really good, I honestly can not find anything wrong with this work on first read. I suggest to keep going with this. I think if you finish this, and the rest of it is as good as this part, you have a good chance of publishing. Good work. E-mail me what you add, I don't get on often.
I am.... a New Age Inkling! We must continue the fight for young authors, for it is the brave mans part to write with glory or with glory be rejected! (taken from a fellow New Age Inkling, Highlander)

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown

24 Reviews

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 am
CRL says...

Wow thanks. I've been trying to write a novel for a while and I thought this was probably my best yet. Nice to know someone else liked it too! And sure I'll email you the rest.
"They don't have meetings about rainbows."
-Cole Sear, The Sixth Sense

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:59 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

BLUR THE LINES
PART ONE - ALIGNMENT

CHAPTER ONE
The night sky was suddenly split open by a million shafts of blazing light as the Mach Ones blasted over the deserted streets and derelict houses of Annandale, North Dakota. The air was filled with the screeching of flight I’m not sure what a ‘screeching of flight’ is and the cracks of a thousand sonic-booms. A single stray dog looked up laxly before returning to his steak bone, gnawed to the core days before. A pair of newborn kittens whimpered, a better word would be ‘mewled’, I think curling against their mother who watched the dancing shapes in the sky with the wary eye of a protector. A snake winding its way through an abandoned power plant, looking like just another strand of wire nice x), peered questioningly at the source of the unique vibrations. And the few people that remained in the ruined city stared in blatant horror as the demons of the Capital closed in on their destination. Mach Ones they were called, because they could break the speed of sound a thousand times over without wearing a single bolt, but they had gained another nickname through fear and power. They were called Exterminators, and that was what they did.
The first of the fleet of seventeen, marked on the side with the Capital’s symbol, pulled into an upward roll over the center of the city and then finally coasted into a slow, steady curve over the once magnificent city hall. The rest of the group dispersed, surrounding their leader in a close yet loose circle, covering the city to the surrounding wall. For three minutes they circled, ensuring that each of their partners had gained their position. And then the captain gave the order.
Seventeen hatches opened in the hull of seventeen planes and out fell seventeen elongated capsules, each painted in alternating stripes of black and red. They dropped the thousands of feet in seconds, watched by the terrified few, each person hoping that they were figments of a mass dream. They all touched the ground at the same instant, exactly as was intended. There was a simultaneous crash, one second of suspended disbelief, and then the warheads exploded in a blast powerful enough to blow the leaves from trees fifty miles away, completely obliterating any sign that the city of Annandale, North Dakota, had ever existed. The planes, Mach Ones, Exterminators, circled for another minute, each pilot carefully watching the ground for the remotest sign of life. And then, one by one, they turned and shot back across the sky, creating a series of shock waves heard around the world. The Exterminators had finished their work, and were returning to their hangar until they were called upon again.

Wow, a very intense opening to the story, and I like it. The way you write just demands attention and I was hooked during this whole thing. I don’t think I have any critiques for this first part, I could tell what you were trying to accomplish and you did an amazing job.

CHAPTER TWO
Around the world those thunder-cracks were heard with a mixture of apprehension and relief. People with relatives in other cities immediately picked up their telephones and dialed their numbers with shaking hands. Others logged onto the remains of the once proud Internet, trying to find the government report detailing what had been eliminated. Still others flipped on their flat-screen televisions, remnants of a past time, switching frantically between channels to find where the Exterminators had paid their visit. In the next few hours peddlers in the streets would sell hundreds of bogus newspapers, each claiming that every city from Los Angeles to Tokyo had been wiped off the map, each earning enough for him or herself to live on until at least the next extermination. And inside his one-story house, amid the screaming of tens of young children and the groans of their older caretakers, Xavier closed his eyes and tried to break through the haze of terror falling upon his city. yay, I love how you brought in your main character x)
Eventually of course he could no longer block out the raucous screaming from inside and the frantic shouting from outside, so Xavier headed for his hideaway. Most days it was an ordeal sneaking across the kitchen, but as there was no reason for the cooks to be exempt from the uproar he knew it would be easy. As he peered into the room he saw each of the five in some state of shock, and it was no trouble for him to slide five feet to under the sink in the near right corner. The crawlspace was where it always was, hidden in the junction of corners and blocked from view by a janitor’s cart that hadn’t moved since the day Xavier had first arrived. However what had once been an easy fit had become a tighter squeeze as the years had gone by and Xavier thought with dejection that very soon he would be too large to fit through this particular crawlspace. Well then, I’ll find another way. He thought. this should definitely be in italics: Well then, I’ll find another way, he thought. It wasn’t as if anyone would notice a random teenager wandering aimlessly through the halls of the dormitory, the caretakers had enough to worry about. But he pushed that from his head as he slipped deeper and deeper into the bowels of the building, the space around him gradually widening until he was in more of a tunnel than a crawlspace. Slowly the walls transformed from cheap sheet-metal to old and crumbling brick as he left the area under the building and entered the long-unused sewers of the city. Ironically, what had once been the city’s waste disposal system was now cleaner than the streets themselves. Waste was now incinerated… it was more productive, and the sewers had been left in disrepair. Now the water that ran through the underground tunnels was cleaner than most of the drinking water, and the only evidence that anything fouler than frogs had once inhabited these passageways was the subtle odor of forgotten decay. The light was low but still substantial, created by strange bioluminescent fish that glowed with a soft yellow hue like fireflies I have a great image of this crawlspace. Firefly fish = genius. I wish I had thought of something like this x). When he had visited the sewers in his younger years comma Xavier would stare in wonder at these fish for hours on end, entranced by their simple ability to create something that he had been taught only God had the right to create. Still, in what he thought was his sixteenth year; comma instead of semicolon they fascinated him and afforded him a sense of wonder in a world where any kind of wonder was short-lived and fabricated. They were his secret, his lighthouse in a sea of crashing waves ah I love your writing style so muuuuch xD. They were the proof of a lie, a lie taught to him and everyone he had ever known. And in its own strange way, that gave him hope To me, these two lines weren‘t very effective. I would just end this paragraph with ‘They were his secret, his lighthouse in a sea of crashing waves. In a world where Exterminators roamed the skies, and greed ruled the cities, hope was a rare occurrence.’ . And in a world where Exterminators roamed the skies and greed ruled the streets hope was a rare occurrence.
In the end Xavier had no idea how long he had sat in that one spot in his secret home, watching the fish of wonder flutter back and forth through their watery adobe. All he felt was the sudden spike of hunger maybe ‘once he felt the sudden spike of hunger’, because at first I thought you were saying that all he felt as he watched the fist swim was a stabbing hunger. Does that make any sense x)?stab through his gut, and he attempted to rise. Yet it took him three times before his spine became loose enough for him to move, and he heard at least twenty cracks in his back before he managed to stand again. I’ve spent at least a day down here. He thought, his conviction real. Maybe more. again, italics: I’ve spent at least a day down here, he thought, his conviction real. Maybe more. In reality he had been sitting by the underground river for only around ten hours… but in this world time had become as blurred as the lines that bound it and a complete rotation of the Earth no longer defined the standard unit of time. Days had become meaningless. Hours were unknown, unkept unkempt, uncared for. Minutes had ceased to matter. Time was relative to the mind that controlled it, and as Xavier crawled back up the rusted ladder to the hole that would take him back to the dormitory it could have been ten hours or ten days since he had last traversed the stretch of broken concrete and dust that had lain undisturbed, except by him, for decades. And as he prepared to return to that world where the lines had been blurred beyond recognition, he turned back just once to regard the strange and wondrous creations that swam through their underground city. And, even if it was just his imagination, he knew that he saw the fish blink their lights softly, as if to wish farewell to their only companion for the long and lonely days and nights in their stretch of river. Elated slightly by the thought, he smiled, and crawled back through the passageway. Goodbye. He thought, Goodbye, he thought, something that in another time may have been considered childish for a sixteen year-old. something that in another time may have been considered childish for a sixteen year-old. Yet in this era Xavier was just one of the masses, neglected by the world itself, who had never grown up in spirit. He was alone among many, a stranger among strangers. The old lines had been blurred, erased, fogged beyond belief. New lines had been drawn, no comma by the Capital and by the world, and now they themselves were becoming blurred not with age but with disregard. The world was falling apart, and no one seemed ready to save it.

This is just me, but maybe you put a little too much emphasis on the blurred lines bit? I get it, things have changed, the world is different, old rules no longer exist… you don’t have to shove it down our throats lol x) Besides, I’m way more interested in this Xavier character than anything else right now. So far I just love this guy.

CHAPTER THREE
Chaos attacked the streets of Houston like a rabid animal as one of the only remaining old world cities was surrounded by the blasting whir of helicopter rotors and the shrill ringing of police sirens. Terrified people dashed through the streets, throwing themselves into buildings that seconds later exploded with the sound of millions of firecrackers. Those that could not were plowed down in hundreds upon hundreds by impartial, sweeping gunfire. The world was in an uproar, and the Capital had sent troops to moderatearbitrate the situation. A weak rebellion had arisen and before it could so much as spread its wings it had been quelled. It’s Its leader, a middle-aged man named Abraham, had been shot with a hollow-point round, his head exploding like a grapefruit in the midst of the charge on City Hall, his followers scattering like confetti in a breeze wow you are really good at imagery O_O . Now they scrambled along with the masses, everyone paying the price for the attempted insurrection. Policemen dashed through the streets, shooting anything and everything that moved. People expired on the burning asphalt, staring up at the smoggy sky with glazed eyes and wondering what they had ever done to deserve such a death. this is beautifully depressing :’(
However none of the policemen noticed a young girl dashing through the backstreets, leaping over rubble like a gazelle and dashing through alleyways faster than her worn sneakers could bear I instantly love this girl. She didn’t look back; doing so would waste precious time and even more precious breath. The scenery around her was in a blur, sooty factories and dilapidated buildings passing by in a mixed palate of muted color more awesome imagery. The sirens grew fainter and fainter in the distance until they faded altogether, and the menacing slicing of the rotors became background noise. Only then did Esti finally stop running, nearly falling over as sudden exhaustion and fatigue set in. The best she could do was lean against a building, panting crazily, trying to suck in as much air as her hyperventilating lungs could process. She hardly remembered any of the crazed since you just used ‘crazily’ in the last sentence, I would use a thesaurus to find something other than ‘crazed’. Maybe frenzied? Or instead you could change it into ‘panting harshly’ or something and then leave the other on as is. Either way I would change one of them because it was noticeable. moments before the charge; it was all a collage of incoherent images quickly fading from his her? mind, the chants, the insanely giddy feeling of elation and achievement that came with the idea of the rebellion. The only clear instant was the moment when the hollow-point round, shot by a policeman standing on the steps of City Hall, had smashed through Abraham’s head. That image would be fixed in her mind forever, as the last moment of deranged sanity before hell set in.
And then she had been running… running… knowing that any moment she would feel a searing point of pain as a bullet pierced her body yet still pulling at all the energy she could muster to keep going. And in the end she had beat beaten the odds. She had survived. She… had… survived… … …

Minutes passed by with agonizing slowness as Esti struggled to remain conscious, knowing that if she were to faint here she would probably never wake up. Before her eyes the world swam in an out of focus It would sound much better as ‘The world swam in and out of focus before her eyes, blurring past the point of recognition…’ , blurred to the point of unrecognizability and then sliding back into perfect alignment, angles sharpening to the finest points and changing the world into a mass of blocks and geometric shapes. More than once she felt it slipping away from her, and it was only with every ounce of mental power that she was able to rope herself back in. The moon had risen fully in the sky overhead, a sight unnoticed as she leaned against the wall, her only refuge from the hurricane of darkness attempting to sweep her away. You cannot fall. She thought doggedly, You cannot fall, she thought doggedly, grasping at fleeting scraps of resolve. pulling at fleeting scraps of resolve. You cannot fall. If you fall you will die. If you fall you will die. You cannot fall. If you fall you will die. If you fall you will die.
Stillshe sank down into a crouch; comma instead of semicolon the futile energy left in her system not enough to sustain her body’s needs. She closed her eyes, clenching them shut, and then struggling to open them. Her eyelids felt as if fifty pound weights had been stapled to them, and were impossible to keep from sliding shut. Exhaustion had nearly overcome her. Her lungs ached. Her heart still pounded. Every inch of her body was being assaulted by pain of every kind. She had run miles through dark alleys trying to escape, falling more than once and always getting back up. And now it was returning to haunt her. Esti’s last memory of the city of Houston was of that bleak backstreet filled with the decrepit remains of houses and burnt out shells of factories, and of a tall, dark, menacing figure walking toward her as everything else dissolved into darkness.

Wowowowow this is good! This is really good! :D

I hope you don’t mind me adding in my comments/corrections every which-way, take or leave whatever advice you like x)

Honestly though, this is impressive writing. I was not expecting something this good when I picked this up. You have wonderful imagery, great emotion, plenty of description, strong characters, and an exciting plot. Sure, the apocalyptic world scenario is way overdone, but while reading your version it felt like I was reading something totally new, it was that original.

I love your characters, and I’m so glad that you only focused on two (not including Abraham) so far, it really helps the readers get a concrete feeling of who these people are before you move on. I really admire Xavier’s quiet existence and Esti’s fighting spirit. I am sure that you have planned that these two characters come together at some point, and I’m already excited for that to happen.

I loved a lot of your descriptions, the scenes of the glowing fish and the tunnel and the alleyway Esti was in are all ingrained in my mind perfectly.

I was a little worried when I found out your main character’s name was Xavier lol, it’s a great name, but you don’t want to pair it with a team of people that are named Jack and Mary and whatnot. Some writers who try to make their MC’s come off as super-cool tend to do that (give a super awesome name to guy #1 and don’t put any thought into the rest). So I was extremely relieved when you brought out Esti. I hope you keep coming up with interesting and unique names because I really love these two.

The only thing I thought could use slight improvement were a few of your sentences, which were a real mouthful. By that I mean that they were incredibly long and I felt myself run out of breath before I got to the end of one (not literally of course, but you get what I mean). So I’d be a little wary of that. I think you have good instincts as a writer, so when you are reading through what you have and stumble a bit yourself, your readers will most likely have that same problem. This is a really minor issue; I only mention it because it’s the only critique I could find x)

Well, I’ll end my review here. If you have any questions/comments just send me a PM or leave me a message and I’ll chat. Excellent job though, you should really be proud of this.
black
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Hey-oh!

First off, and it's relatively minor and nitpicky, but still incredibly important, paragraph spacing! Oh geez, paragraph spacing. YWS occasionally ignores formatting and clumps everything together and as you can see here, we end up with huge bricks of text. I can see where you intended to put the paragraphs, but because there isn't actually an indent or an extra space in-between them, the walls of text makes my eyes bleed. Well, not really bleed, but it is really hard on the reader, especially when it comes to reading on a screen. My eyes want to start skimming instead of reading because it is just so blocky and enormous-looking. It's an easy fix - just go through and insert extra spaces between the paragraphs with a couple hits to the "enter" key. It will net you far more readers, and much happier ones at that.

Now, on to the story itself!

A snake ... peered questioningly

Again, nitpicky, but snakes can't peer. Peering implies some sort of intensity or difficulty in looking at something. Snakes... don't really have more than one way of looking at something. They don't have eyelids or the necessary facial muscles to really look more intensely at something, so they can't really peer. It's nitpicky, I know, but it jumped out at me. Perhaps "gazed" or something?

Still others flipped on their flat-screen televisions, remnants of a past time,

If the televisions are a remnant of a past time, then why are there still channels up? I mean, it's not like channels magically generate on a television. There has to be someone out there broadcasting stuff. Is it that the particular design of a flat-screen television is obsolete and there's something better out there, but these folks are forced to resort to their tv, much like nowadays we resort to radio in a crisis? It's not the primary form of entertainment and newsgathering anymore, but it still exists? I'm just a little confused.

In the next few hours peddlers in the streets would sell hundreds of bogus newspapers, each claiming that every city from Los Angeles to Tokyo had been wiped off the map, each earning enough for him or herself to live on until at least the next extermination.

I don't know why, but I find this to be the coolest concept ever. That image is just so incredibly awesome; sort of a Victorian London paperboy hawking his wares in a post-apocalyptic setting. So cool.

Well then, I’ll find another way. He thought.

Mm, the thought should be in italics, with the "he thought" being treated like a normal dialogue tag.
Well then, I'll find another way, he thought.

Same thing with later "he thought" and "she thought" moments.

I liked this a lot. The characters were interesting and the situation managed to reach out and grab me. I have to agree with TheBlackSheep that I wasn't expecting something like this and it was a very pleasant surprise.

When he had visited the sewers in his younger years Xavier would stare in wonder at these fish for hours on end, entranced by their simple ability to create something that he had been taught only God had the right to create.

*whew* Crazy long sentence there.

There were quite a few of those long sentences (in fact, most of the writing was rather long sentences) and I do have to say though that it ended up being rather distracting. The whole thing was very... wordy. Sentences rambled on and I was left feeling like I needed to stop and breathe occasionally after some of the longest ones. The way the paragraphs were clumped together just made it worse. Break it up a little. Streamline and simplify. It makes for slightly easier reading and better flow.

But I did really like this. You've got me hooked. I'm on to more! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions or comments!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

24 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:20 am
CRL says...

Thanks for the review(s), and I will definitely fix up some of the things you pointed out. And like you said with the paragraph spacing, the thoughts were italicized but I didn't realize (even though I probably should have) that it wouldn't reciprocate here. I'll make sure to check the spacing in the future too.
"They don't have meetings about rainbows."
-Cole Sear, The Sixth Sense

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind