z

Young Writers Society

Voiceless Chapter One (In progress)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 am
Indianwarrior12 says...

Chapter One

As November sixteenth neared, strange things started happening to thirteen year old Diamond Anderson. Things had happened since she was born, but they had always been covered up. Now there were to many, happening too often to be covered up. Every time her parents wanted Diamond to do something, they would discover that it had already been done. Mostly what she did was clean her room, constantly folding her clothes. Everything was well, untill one day when she was shelving books in the library. Three girls who had never came into the library before walked in. They where talking so loud that the librarian had to scold them.
"If you girls want to be in here, then be quiet!"
The girls giggled but stayed quiet. Diamond continued to shelve the books, but the girls kept giggling and looking at her.
"All right, watch this." One of them said, getting up.
Diamond ignored the girl as she walked over.
"Where do you find books about cats?" she asked.
Diamond pointedat the shelf that held the cat books.
"Where?"
Again she pointed at the shelf.
"Speak, use your words." she said snotty like. "Oops i'm sorry, you can't." she smirked.
In that moment there was nothing Diamond wanted more than to wipe that stupid grin off her face, so she did. She took the book in her hand and struck the girl hard in the face. The girl fell over and layed sprawled out. Diamond just looked at her in contempt and continued shelving books.
"Jessica?!" the other girls cried.
Diamond pushed her cart to another shelf and finished stacking the books. She was out of the library before the manager stepped in
Last edited by Indianwarrior12 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Personally... I kinda wanna take the dragon.
-Angel

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 am
Light_Devil! says...

Hello there, it's nice to make your acquaintance. I'm Azrael and I'm a very harsh critic. Don't take anything I say here on in personally. Well, then - let's get started!

As November sixteenth neared, strange things started happening to thirteen year old Diamond Anderson.

For the starter of a story, this doesn't really draw me in the slightest. Who is the target audience?

Things had happened since she was born, but they had always been covered up.

This is way too vague; flesh it up and add some detail.

Now there were too many, happening too often to be covered up.

Strange things? What type of strange things? Tease us with some little bits of the fantastic.

Mostly what she did was clean her room, constantly folding her clothes.

This sentence doesn't make any sense. She'd been doing this since she was born?

Everything was well, untill one day when she was shelving books in the library.

What is this? ... What has happened? You introduced Diamond (a presumptous name, by the way) and then... no, you haven't even introduced her.

Three girls, who had never came into the library before, walked in.

Who were they? Descriptions? Reaction from Diamond?

They where talking so loud that the librarian had to yell at them.

Yelling at someone being loud is tad bit counter-productive, isn't it?

The girls giggled but stayed quiet. Diamond continued to shelve the books, but the girls kept giggling and looking at her.

Girls, giggled - girls, giggling. Find some words that mean girls and giggling and put them instead. You are way too repetitive.

Diamond pointed at the shelf that held the cat books.

She pointed where? How do we know where the shelf that held the cat books are? Also, another question - why is Diamond even in the library?

"Speak, use your words," she said snotty like and then smirked, "Oops, I'm sorry, you can't."

Check that you know how to properly write speech. I've fixed this up, but you need to make sure you have an understanding of it for future use.

In that moment there was nothing Diamond wanted more than to wipe that stupid grin off her face, so she did. She took the book in her hand and struck the girl hard in the face.

WHAT!? Why? This Diamond, she's a tad bit violent, no?

The girl fell over and laid sprawled out.

She laid down after falling over? Reword.

Diamond just looked at her in contempt and continued shelving books.

Uhhh, there is something extremely wrong with this Diamond.

Overall:

Right, well, I don't know who your intended audience is, but if you're aiming for preteens who have no self-confidence, then you're half-way there. Your main character isn't explained at all... why doesn't she talk? And why is she such an aggresive person? Also, this is entirely too short to be a chapter. It's two paragraphs, if that. I'm not trying to be mean here, but you haven't described anything and that, my fellow writer, is a definite must - unless this is going to be a picture book.

Your (vague) plot is... interesting is one word for it, but it's not like it hasn't been done before. A girl with powers. How very original. I congratulate you for not making her adopted (yet). Another note I'd like to make - if you wanted Diamond to be shown as real biyatch, you've succeeded. I'm feeling very sorry for Jessica right now.

3 top things:

1) Check your writing before you post. Remember the simple stuff; capital letters, full-stops, spelling and proper speech.

2) Describe, describe, describe - you can always cull useless stuff later on.

3) Strive to be original or better. How are you going to stand up in the word of authors, if yours is exactly the same as everyone else's? What makes your story better?

Have A Nice Day,
Azrael.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 pm
Silverdragon150 says...

Indian, I read this and I thought it followed up the prologue pretty well. Maybe you could use some longer words, but you're getting there. I like how you've skipped all the non-important stuff from the prologue to the first chapter, maybe saving a few details for later? You could use a few more adjectives, but I think you have a good start. I'm patiently awaiting the next chapter, and I hope it's even better. Keep writing!
something something dragons something something open to conversation
Been quiet for a couple years, we'll see how this one goes.

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:09 pm
XxMattxX says...

Hello!I'm Jojo and I shall be your reviewer for today!
Grammar is in red.
Others are in blue.
Comments are in lavender.
Here we Go!

As November sixteenth neared, strange things started happening to thirteen year old Diamond Anderson. Things had happened since she was born, but they had always been covered up. Now there were to many, happening too often to be covered up.

I hope that you understand the point that I am trying to make here...
1.) You use the word "happen(ed)(ing)" too much.
2.)You seriously are lacking vital detail here, what type of things occurred or happened?
3.) Show...don't always tell. This chapter is waaay too short to give a proper introduction to the story.

Every time her parents wanted Diamond to do something, they would discover that it had already been done. Mostly what she did was clean her room, constantly folding her clothes.
>insert more detail, here< Everything was well, untill until one day when she was shelving books in the library.

You skip too fast into the"library" slow down.. slow down...

Three girls who had never came into the library before walked in. They where talking so loud that the librarian had to scold them.
"If you girls want to be in here, then be quiet!"
Not need... let me show you...

Here is another way you could ay this...

Everything went as it always did, until one day at the library. Three girls who Diamond had never seen before sauntered in wearing insertdetailhere and (doing) insertdetailhere. Their voices boomed with laughter and blah blah blah >more detail< blah.

"If you all intend on enjoying this public facility, do so quietly or respect the rest of us by leaving," scolded the Librarian who, by the evident creases on he forehead, had dealt with many disruptive pupils before.

You see how everything can be better re-phrased and junk? it's sounds clearer and isn't as choppy.

"All right, watch this." One of them said, getting up.
Diamond ignored the girl as she walked over.
"Where do you find books about cats?" she asked.
DiamondShepointedat pointed at the shelf that held the cat books.
"Where?"
Again she pointed at the shelf.
"Speak, use your words." she mocked, smiling said snotty like. "Oops I'm sorry, you can't." she smirked.
( how would she know that Diamond couldn't speak if even Diamond hadn't seen them before? This doesn't make sense.)

In that moment there was nothing Diamond wanted more than to wipe that stupid grin off her face, so she did. She took the book in her hand and struck the girl hard in the face. The girl fell over and layed lay sprawled out. Diamond just looked at her in contempt continued shelving books.
"Jessica?!" the other girls cried.
Diamond pushed her cart to another shelf and finished stacking the books. She was out of the library before the manager stepped in ( showed up?)

Overall:
I love the idea that you have here, you just didn't do it justice, really. Here are a few key suggestions for areas of improvement..
1.) Don't rush, take your time, and add detail. Outline your ideas and think through them before you write.
2.) Develop the characters. Tell us how they look, what they like, and how they act.
3.) Show, don't tell.
4.) Check spelling and punctuation before you submit something- just so that the reader can have a more pleasant experience.

Other than that, nice job!
Keep writing!
-----------------
-Jojo
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

Reviews: 2
Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:36 pm
vanillavampire99 says...

You have some grammer mistakes, but I understand the wording and absolutely love the plot. It was very interesting to me from the very begening! Please continue!
Nisa ~VanillaVampire99

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm
spiderman says...

Spiderman Here.

The plot sounds promising and unique. The prologue seems short. Grammar mistake have already been posted, except one:
She was out of the library before the manager stepped in

Just put a period on the end of it.

OVerall, I think it was good, but it was just short.
Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses

WHISPERS IN THE DARK LYRICS - SKILLET

Life is like a bag of potatoes, it starts out rough, but can turn into something beautiful (and yummy).
— Ley