z

Young Writers Society

1.1 | The Girl in the White Box

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:19 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

1 | The Girl in the White Box
The crackling static filled the room, waking the girl from a deep sleep. She rolled over in her cot with an annoyed moan, peaking through tired eyes to see what was making the noise. Her eyes widened in horror as she took in her surroundings, bolting up a moment later before falling back into the bed, dizzy from the exertion. She closed her burning eyes again, willing her surroundings to change but when she opened them for the second time nothing had.
“This cannot be happening.” She whispered to herself, her eyes filled with tears. She stood up slowly, trying to keep her head from spinning, then stumbled sideways into a blank white wall.
“Hello!” She screamed, clutching the wall. “Is anyone out there?”
Only silence answered her, though she listened intently for several minutes, looking around the room as if it would hold the answers she sought. The room only held two objects: the cot she woke up in and an old box television. It was perfectly square and bright, the walls smooth without a break or blemish. Not even a door.
“Someone! Help me!” She screamed once again, slamming her fists against the wall. “You can’t just leave in me here!”
Tears streamed down her cheeks as she ran around the room, searching hopelessly for breaks in the wall. Repeating the words “this cannot be happening” over and over again. In a sort of mantra, trying to calm herself and to keep the tears from falling. As if saying it enough times would make it true.
“Someone! Please help me!” she screamed finally, defeatedly sliding into a corner. No longer able to keep the sobs at bay.
“Adelaide…” A voice cooed through her sobbing. Sniffing, she looked up, searching for the source of the voice. “Do you know why you are here, Adelaide?”
“Hello?” she asked, crawling across the floor and looking around.
“I’m right here, Adelaide.” the voice was like honey, calling to her and giving her little choice as to if she should follow. She turned towards the voice and was face to face with the television. The static was gone from the screen. Instead the girl was staring directly into the horn-ribbed, stern eyes of a woman in a white coat.
“Who the hell are you?” she asked, leaning against the cot, wondering if she had actually gone crazy or if the world around her had. She already knew which.
“I am Madame Councilor,” the woman said. “Do you remember anything before waking up here?”
Addie shook her head solemnly.
“Good,” the woman responded shortly, and Addie closed her eyes. Her worst nightmare realized in front of her. She remembered everything. She knew why she was there, but there was nothing she could do about it.
This was the end.
Crawling onto the bed, she barely listened as the woman continued talking. It must be protocol. She took the pillow from the bed and covered her head with it, closing her eyes tight, she tried to think of a time before all this had happened…

I’m a bit confused after reading this. It’s only because at the end she tells Councilor that she does not remember anything, and then kind of says to herself that she remembers everything, and then moments later covers her head with a pillow desperately trying to remember… it just didn’t make sense to me. It was all going smoothly up until the end.

Personally, I think the scenario is cliché. I’ve probably read dozens of stories that contained the ‘white room’, and they are all carried out in the same way. Main character wakes up, and grows increasingly more panicked as they realize they are alone and there is no where to get out, until some emotionless caretaker comes in contact with them. Yours wasn’t really any different. I mean, you’re kind of limited any way you look at it, because you can’t exactly have the girl feeling confident about being locked up, or the councilor seem sympathetic, or the walls give in to her fists and have her escape… I’ll just have to wait and see how this plays out. It’s too early to judge a story by just the first chapter, but this is just my impression so far.

I think you might’ve had a few mistakes with dialogue punctuation, like you weren’t too sure about which way to go, so I’ll see if I can relocate an article that helped me in the past.

I didn’t see a problem with the ‘showing VS telling’ so don’t worry about that.

Overall, you’re a good writer but the scenario doesn’t have me really interested. I’ll be reading the next part though, since this was so short. Whenever you get it finished be sure to let me know and I’ll read&review for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments

black
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 am
SteviexOctopus says...

Black - Thank you for the review. :] The reason why she puts the pillow over her head is not because she's trying to "desperately" remember but because she wants it all to go away. In attempt to drive it from her mind she thinks of things that had happened to her in the past. In a sort of escapism. I'll try to reword it to make it seem more like that though.

I haven't read too many scenarios like this one; however, you've done a boatload of more reviews than me so it could just be that I haven't been looking hard enough. Though the waking up trapped somewhere is a common horror movie scenario, I've just kind of switched genres for it. :]

Thanks again for the review, and the next part has already been posted! topic82614.html
.:~|The Red Ink Emporium!|~:.
"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?"

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:44 pm
MapleCFreter says...

I really liked this :) Even though this is short and I don't really know what it's going to be about yet, I can tell that it is my type of story :D

I didn't really see any grammar errors or whatnot, and the hook was amazing. This is definitely one of the most well-written novels I've started to read on here yet!!!

The only question that I kept asking myself as I was reading this was, does she or does she not know where she is? The way she keeps saying that it can't be happening lead me to believe that she did, and at the end this was confirmed. However, to spare the confusion she should add something about her recognizing the room at the very beginning when she wakes up. Just a suggestion :)

anyways, I'm going to go read the next chapter now!!!!

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 am
Pretty Crazy says...

Hello Stevie!

I'm going to try something new and write what I'm thinking as I read. Here goes!

The crackling static filled the room, waking the girl from a deep sleep. She rolled over in her cot with an annoyed moan, peaking through tired eyes to see what was making the noise. Her eyes widened in horror as she took in her surroundings, bolting up a moment later before falling back into the bed, dizzy from the exertion. She closed her burning eyes again, willing her surroundings to change but when she opened them for the second time nothing had.

Can't help but notice the quality/character the words you use here give. Very nice.

“This cannot be happening.” She whispered to herself, her eyes filled with tears. She stood up slowly, trying to keep her head from spinning, then stumbled sideways into a blank white wall.

“Hello!” She screamed, clutching the wall. “Is anyone out there?”

Only silence answered her, though she listened intently for several minutes, looking around the room as if it would hold the answers she sought. The room only held two objects: the cot she woke up in and an old box television. It was perfectly square and bright, the walls smooth without a break or blemish. Not even a door.

Simple description for a simple room.
“Someone! Help me!” She screamed once again, slamming her fists against the wall. “You can’t just leave in me here!”

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she ran around the room, searching hopelessly for breaks in the wall. Repeating the words “this cannot be happening” over and over again. In a sort of mantra, trying to calm herself and to keep the tears from falling. As if saying it enough times would make it true.

“Someone! Please help me!” she screamed finally, defeatedly sliding into a corner. No longer able to keep the sobs at bay.

“Adelaide…” A voice cooed through her sobbing. Sniffing, she looked up, searching for the source of the voice. “Do you know why you are here, Adelaide?”
I'm not sure how to pronounce that. . .
“Hello?” she asked, crawling across the floor and looking around.

“I’m right here, Adelaide.” the voice was like honey, calling to her and giving her little choice as to if she should follow. She turned towards the voice and was face to face with the television. The static was gone from the screen. Instead the girl was staring directly into the horn-ribbed, stern eyes of a woman in a white coat.

“Who the hell are you?” she asked, leaning against the cot, wondering if she had actually gone crazy or if the world around her had. She already knew which.

“I am Madame Councilor,” the woman said. “Do you remember anything before waking up here?”

Addie shook her head solemnly.

“Good,” the woman responded shortly, and Addie closed her eyes. Her worst nightmare realized in front of her. She remembered everything. She knew why she was there, but there was nothing she could do about it.
That was quick. Why did she even not remember in the first place if she was just going to remember an instant after anyway?
This was the end.

Crawling onto the bed, she barely listened as the woman continued talking. It must be protocol. She took the pillow from the bed and covered her head with it, closing her eyes tight, she tried to think of a time before all this had happened…

Okay, so this is a great start. It's captivating and a great attention holder. I find myself wanting to know what's going to happen next. You definitely have writing style. What I mean by that is the way you put things are very simple yet to the point. It's entertaining. :)

Negative points, well it reminds me of Maze-Runner. I don't know if you have read the book, but it's kind of the same idea. From the summery to the room where the girl is held, it just felt a teeny bit cliché. Hard to come up with something original nowadays isn't it?

But I don't mean it's all cliche! No, this is really good. I will read the next chapters soon and I'm sure they'll be really awesome.
Good job. Keep writing. All that stuff.

~Crazy :P
Looking for someone who won't disappoint you?
Look to Jesus.:)

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll