z

Young Writers Society

Forty Degrees Celsium - Chapter 3 1/2

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm
Wolferion says...

“Then your task is clear; you search and rescue, I’ll do distraction.” Jeffrey’s voice sounds calm, but he’s anxious, he can feel his blood freezing, knowing it’s not an easy task at all.
“But that doesn’t make sense! I’m unharmed and fast, I should distract their AF (Armed force)!”
“That’s exactly why you should search and rescue; the lives of citizens are important and you can save more than I would. It’s a great responsibility you can carry out. Good luck.” Jeffrey pats her shoulder and starts dragging his legs towards the valley, holding his rifle tightly.

He doesn’t hear Kate move, she’s probably fighting an inner conflict he doesn’t know of. He stops and turns his head halfway to her.
“I’m not doing this for glory, I want you to save the most people you can, because they are what matters. What are our deeds worth if they can’t save our citizens? We fight to make this world better, remember? Such a simple and noble idea, feel proud.”
“Mhm.” Kate nods and starts running towards the opposite direction, up a hill, where a fairly undamaged old castle is located.

Jeffrey continues walking, his muscles still shaking.
So I’m alone again. He exhales, putting off all the tension and masks he has had up till now. The difference in aura is great; from a confident commander to a mysterious impression of unknown behind calm face. He feels so much more free when he’s himself, so less weight on his shoulders.

His steps become more steady the more he walks, thoughts subside and anger with fear submerge. No matter where he looks, be it streets or buildings, it’s all ruined. The great bridge that united two hills together is no longer intact.

There might be survivors somewhere and they might be calling for help, but his ears hear just the heavy tech, even though it’s so far away. No matter how much he dislikes humanity, he still can’t stand to see ‘innocent’ perish.

Pain comes back, but he ignores it and starts running; he wants to get to the enemy fast, wants to taste peace again, where one can sit and think without having to worry, without having to see all the unnecessary deaths.

Crossing many streets and stairs down the hill, he finally gets close enough to feel the tremble of tons worth mass. Enemies are close, numerous, and he’s just one man, but he doesn’t care about that.
“AI, play battle drum.”

He lays behind one of the bigger masses of rubble, his sniper rifle prepared to target anybody who appears around the corner. He taps the surface to the deep bass rhythm of drums, trying to relax his anxiousness and fear.

One by one appear two heavy tanks, followed by an armored infantry carrier. They turn to their left at the crossroad and head straight towards him.
Old types with mounted mg (machine gun), eh. They are too few, means they’re scattered across the whole city. Though, how many could they sneak through when the orbital satellite’s on the watch all the time? Heh, here I go thinking about others again.

He takes off two long sharp bullets with a red line and loads them into his rifle.
“AI, change ballistics to explosive ammo.”

He firmly presses his weapon to his right shoulder and firms it strongly with his right side of jaw. The armor on the tanks is too strong, but he has an idea; he aims straight inside the main gun of the first tank, his target is the loaded shell - reverse explosion direction should be destructive. He patiently waits for them to get closer, feeling clearly every bit of their engines trembling the ground.

He pulls the trigger, his rifle letting out a thunder-like sound blast, followed by an even louder explosion inside the main gun and the front part of shell of flying somewhere behind Jeffrey. Smoke starts coming out as the vehicle freezes still intact.

He immediately rushes to it and jumps on it, throwing a grenade to the carrier. Once on the tank, he quickly shoots the second one the same way. Two explosions follow almost synchronously, the grenade unleashing such a force it has torn the front armor of the carrier apart and has kicked Jeffrey to the ground. He hits it pretty hard, holding onto his weapon all the time. He tries to get up, but this time it’s even harder than the last time, giving him no choice but to remain lying as he starts coughing up blood.

Very soon he realizes that it’s more than just bad as he hears movement somewhere in the back of the convoy, signing him that somebody has survived. They must have concussion at the very least, but it’s not going to last forever, he has to do something.
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 pm
Deanie says...

Shinda!

Once again you've built a lot of good suspense at the end of your chapter so now I really want to read on, but I can't :( But I will in the future. Remember to tell me when the next chapter comes out.

I now know Jeffery is a more happier person when he is on his own. Which is getting to know the characters even more... but I am still waiting for that explanation of why the city is under attack. I'm not usually one to be into all the fighting battle weapony stuff I'm reading right now but I do find it interesting enough. I'm anxious to finding out why Jeffery chose to go into battle when Kate was obviously in a better condition then him. And I also want to find out how Kate is getting on with her mission!

Lots to find out and already anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed...
— Charlotte Bronte