z

Young Writers Society

Forty Degrees Celsium - Chapter 3 2/2

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm
Wolferion says...

“Get into the castle! Hurry!” Kate tries to rush dozens of harmed and unharmed citizens to get into the barely damaged castle, which walls are more than enough reinforced to withstand great deal of punishment.

She’s brought along many survivors, most of them hurt, suffering and shocked, but she has no time to be idle; the invaders are close and they want the castle, more precisely all the survivors - including high importance figures - that are inside and are possibly the very last alive in the region.

The only stationed military force is already prepared to defend, their guns sticking out of specifically made windows. The moment all the remaining survivors enter castle grounds, massive metal gates are closed, leaving Kate all alone outside.

“You sure this is a good idea?” Yells one of the stationed army officers.
“Our sub-division isn’t named ‘Rock Solid’ for nothing!” She quickly responds while looking around. Since the castle is located on the highest point in the area, she can see a large part of the city.

The devastation is even greater than one would think being down there in one of the streets; most buildings look shallow and sad, air is engulfed in smoke, and from time to time an explosion occurs. Kate doesn’t know if it’s the enemy or Jeffrey, her heart hopes, but her mind doesn’t have the time for emotions - she literally can feel enemy lurking around. Backed up by her honor she’s running high on adrenaline, feeling confident in whatever decision she makes.

She recalls Jeffrey’s words when she first entered the sub-division: “Remember, we are the backbone of any defense, we are the solid shield that sways away all enemy attacks, but that doesn’t mean we’re the ones who sit and wait. Memorize my words well - offense is the best defense, but that is only when one is witty and confident enough. You being here means you’re the best candidates, don’t let our country down as our duty is the strength of thousand men!”

There’s only one road up to the castle, the sides are all but unclimbable rock, leaving Kate no other way but to get down to the city and fight if she’s to keep up with her duty. Even though there are troops behind her, she wants them to be the very last defense if anything goes wrong.

She gives a sign that she’s off and starts running with unbelievable speed; she could truly win a medal in athletics if she wanted to. In mere seconds she gets down to a town square, jumping through a hole in a wall of the nearby building as bullets fly her way. She’s noticed a group of ten-eleven men, but she’s confident there are more to come and soon.

To not let them any time to reorganise, she rushes to one of the broken windows in a room and shoots a few bullets, hitting two or three men, just to quickly rush to a different window and shoot again. She’s so fast and precise that more than half of the group has fallen down. The rest hides behind rubble to avoid contact with her, but they haven’t really gained any advantage.

While they’re shocked, she jumps out of the window and runs to them with her torso lowered. They haven’t even prepared their guns in such a short moment to counter attack her, she plainly shoots the rest of the group without using up even half of her smg (sub-machine gun) clip; she’s just that good of a marksman, and she hasn’t lost her breath at all.

She sights more troops getting closer to the square, making her duck behind remains of a destroyed wall. She grabs one of her many grenades and patiently awaits for them to get closer. It doesn’t really take long for them to get into throw range - about fifty meters.

She doesn’t hesitate and throws the grenade with all her might, causing panic amidst the group that would allow her to change locations and get closer. While they’re on the run to the sides, once again with great speed she rushes towards them, using all the rubble and whatnot as her cover as she precisely shoots anybody who stands out.
The impact of the grenade is much greater than their expected, knocking aside anybody still standing, even though they’ve got fairly far from it. It shakes Kate a little, but with her torso lowered forward she has no problem charging ahead with her strong legs. Disoriented, the rest of the second group gets shot in cold blood, and she’s just run out of first clip.

She reloads her weapon and looks around, seeing nobody else for now. She crouches to rest a bit. Her senses come back to her, she can feel the gunpowder in air and that horrible tension of not knowing what’s going to happen next. After a moment she stands up and starts taking any usable ammunition and explosives the dead invaders have got, so that she would be ready for any more troops coming.
Hurry, Jeffrey, please hurry; I won’t last here forever, not when the heavies come; and I feel so alone...
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 pm
Deanie says...

Heya Shinda :)

I liked this chapter. I now understand why Kate and Jeffery are fighting a bit more, and what the troops want. The remaining survivors and the royal family inside. But now my question is... how are they different from the other troops. Why are there so little of them left? It was a very interesting chapter, full with lots of detail which was nice to know. I understand that Kate is very strong and quick, and very good with logic. She really likes Jeffery. But is this as a family, or partnership thing?

Good chapter. Good detail, very engaging. Interested to see what happens next, and maybe not all my questions are going to be answered right away. But I would like some more background information on why there are troops attacking, although I think we have the gist of it now.

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight