z

Young Writers Society

Learning Curve - Chapter 2

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 am
mcarabell says...

“You know, I sort of like you not talking,” Axel rambled as he twisted the makeshift spit to fully cook the meat speared on it over a small fire, “you complain less than some.” He laughed as Kiera watched him silently while she tore a piece off of her rabbit. The fire flickered light off their features, highlighting, overshadowing and hauntingly reflecting in both their eyes—bright green and light brown. The luminous firelight cast an orange glow about the forest around them and colored the moonlight that filtered through the trees and speckled the ground. Birds could be heard calling in the night to their mates and Axel, all the sudden, felt very alone.
He heaved a sigh, “I never really wanted any of this to happen....” he leaned back, looking up at the stars and moon that stood out against the inky black sky with such contrast that he'd never seen in the city. “I got mixed up into all of this from a stupid blog I found; some internet geek had hacked into emails discussing the place and details about these crazy plans and I wanted to check it out. You know, just to see if there was any cash in it for me to expose it. Some recognition, maybe. But, as you can see I got caught snooping around...and now I'm stuck out in this forest with a half-crazed silent girl,” he glanced up at her to see her eyes narrow slightly then lower to study the forest floor, “maybe a day’s worth of provisions and no shelter. And what good’s a cell phone when there’s no service for miles? I'm only twenty-two for Pete's sake. What if I die out here? I can't do this...I'm basically a fugitive now.” He put his head in his hands. After a few moments of painful silence he lifted his head and ran his hands through his tousled dark hair as if to consider something. “You may not say much, but thanks for the rabbit. I wouldn't be eating tonight if not for you. ” He looked up at Kiera to gauge her reaction to his praise, her hard green eyes meeting his. She nodded in acknowledgment.
“So...” He said, finally cutting a piece of meat with his pocketknife, “Where did you come from?” Kiera's eyes didn't leave the leaf-covered ground as if it had suddenly become much more interesting than Axel. “You don't have parents?” She finally shrugged. “That Director guy didn't seem like the parental type...who takes care of you? I mean, your hair looks nice and you're dressed in clean clothes. Who is it?” A low growl emitted from the now falling darkness. “Hey, no need to be hostile; you're outside of that place aren't you? I was just curious.” he finished his sentence in a rush and then there was a silence. He began again, “Why don't you talk? Do you know how? Is it something to do with them? I know you understand me…” Suddenly, Kiera rose and trotted off a few feet. She shivered into her wolf form, circled three times and curled up on the ground, tucking her nose neatly under her tail.
Crossing his arms out in front of him, Axel said sarcastically, “That's right, just ignore me and go to sleep. So considerate.” Then he heaved a sigh. “I suppose it is getting late...” Then, as if on cue, chilly wind picked up and rustled the trees in the darkness, passing over his exposed skin and making him shudder. “Just great.” He muttered, lay down near his fire, and closed his mind from his worried thoughts and his eyes from the moonlight. “Don't you run off...” he mumbled sleepily as finally, fitful sleep took him.

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb