Young Writers Society

Country Boy: Chapter 1, part 1

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

He sat in a corner booth at Yee-haw’s, watching another idiot give himself whiplash on the mechanical bull. The idiot’s cowboy hat fell off as he flew from the bull amidst cheers and groans. That crowd would cheer, the man in the corner booth thought, pulling the brim of his own hat down over his grey eyes. Yuppie city folk wearing dollar-store plastic cowboy hats and belt-buckles half-hidden by their sagging beer guts, playing rodeo and boasting to anyone who would listen about the bruises they’d gotten falling off the mechanical bull. Pathetic. Somehow even more pathetic than the kids from his high school who’d gone the other way: The sons of farmers and farriers, wearing their baseball caps sideways and their pants halfway down their buttocks, listening to rap and – worse yet – rapping. He’d despised them for it. But here he was, thirty-six years old and citified. Working at an auto shop and spending his Friday nights in a country-themed bar. In the end, he’d become one of them.

His waitress appeared with a fresh bottle of Pabst. She was a Friday-night regular, like him, but on the other side of the bill, a pretty latte-colored girl with kinky black curls. She jerked her head towards the mechanical bull, and the idiots.

“Ain’t none of ‘em stayed on the full fifteen seconds yet?” she asked.

Instead of answering, he asked his own question.

“Why do you talk that way?”

She winked and dropped the drawl she’d been perfecting in the three months he’d lived in New York.

“Acting, Jackie-boy,” she said. “If you want to be a great actor, you gotta be able to change characters like a woman changes faces. This is a country bar. It’s the perfect place to practice a country character.”

He found he liked her natural voice better. A voice nothing like the “country” voice she practiced each Friday or the voice of a native New Yorker. A nice Midwestern sort of voice. He nodded at the mechanical bull.

“I can do it,” he said.

“Never seen you try,” she retorted.

He stood up, tipped his hat at her, said, “Ma’am,” and strode over to the ring of idiots around the mechanical bull. They whooped drunkenly as he neared – regulars all, who knew he’d never done the bull before. They made way before him, all except the paunchy man who’d been about to get on; he muttered angrily about it being his fucking turn, but the others pushed him out of the way.

“Howdy,” Jack said. The others repeated it, laughing. It sounded much less affected coming from his mouth than from their. Even though he’d never said it before and planned never to say it again. It was the difference between his cowboy hat of felt and theirs of plastic.

He swung a leg over the bull and waited for it to start. It felt hard and lifeless between his legs. Nothing like a live bull, quivering the gate, heaving and sweating when it launched explosively into the arena. He gripped the machine tighter.

Suddenly it lurched. He clung to it with one hand and his legs, half-expecting to be thrown off, but after the initial buck it settled into a rocking motion far tamer than any real bull. Too easy. Almost predictable, the way it moved, like a merry-go-round, not like the last bull he’d ridden in rodeo. That monster had busted out of the gate, throwing up dust and gravel, jolted him and thrown him off in less than two seconds, and broken his nose. And almost broke his back.

But none of these city slickers had ever been bull riding. As far as they knew, this was the real deal. When the machine stopped and he dismounted, unscathed, they let up a cheer like he’d won the Kentucky Derby without the horse’s help. Stupid, he thought, he’d hardly even done any work, but he couldn’t help smiling sheepishly at his waitress as the crowd bombarded him with backslapping and offers of free beers. He slunk out of its midst and sat back in his booth.

“I’ll be,” the waitress said.

He grinned, a little less sheepishly.

“How’d you do it?” she asked.

“Less alcohol,” he said. “It’s easy to fall off a bull when you’re blind drunk.”

“No, really,” she said.

He took a draught of the Pabst.

“I was in rodeo for near ten years.”

“Get out! You mean it?”

“Yeah.”

“I never knew that,” she said.

He shrugged.

“I don’t go round bragging about it.”

She grinned suddenly. She had an awful nice grin, he thought. Warm and friendly. Genuine.

“You from out west?” she asked, donning her western twang again.

He shook his head and said, “I will not answer questions asked in that voice.”

“Well, okay.” She dropped the accent. “Are you, though?”

“Does it sound like I am? There’s farmland in Michigan and Ohio. I don’t have to be from out west.”

“Michigan boy, huh,” she said, smiling. “That’s where I’m from."

“How’d you guess Michigan?”

“It’s just how you talk.” She lifted her tray from his table. “Are you gonna want another drink?”

“No, thanks. Just the bill.”

“’Kay. That’s gonna be fifteen fifty-three tonight then.”

A math whiz on top of everything, he thought. He sipped his Pabst as he watched her walk away. He wondered where in Michigan she was from. Not the farmland. That was him.
Last edited by BluesClues on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 am
View Likes
PurpleEurope says...

I didn't really read it, but you're my sister and I wanted to tell you about the first day of school. The choir room is different, Mr. VanDyke got a smart board, which I think is practically useless, don't you? And he changed the shape of the risers so it's more of a horse-shoe now than a slight curve...
Um.... McCulloch is the same as always, [awesome] and We're having practices everyday this week for Ramona Quimby. Can you make a show?It's in like... 35 days or something like that. It's gonna be super fun! And he's putting Christmas lights all around the perimeter so we never have to have the lights on, AND we're moving everything from Ward Cottrell to the new pole barn built right behind the P.A.C.
Health was lame.
Geometry, I am not excited for. It sounds really hard, but I can't help that. yuh byee!!!
PotterheadFranklinArthurMacKenzietheFourth<3

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 am
View Likes
LiveLifeLoud says...

Awesome, loved this, and I can't wait for the next chapter! I only saw one error, however, I only read it over once.

“Does it sound like I am? There’s farmland in Michigan and Ohio. I don’t have to be from out west.”

I'm excited for more! =D

~LiveLifeLoud
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.
~Douglas Adams

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

“Michigan boy, huh” she said, smiling. “That’s where I’m from.

There are two mistakes here. A comma goes right after 'huh' and you're missing the end quotes. Overall, this was an interesting read.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm
View Likes
thatboy says...

Very good read, I was really impressed :)

I actually chose to read this because it sounded like something different, which is cool!! :)
So I started reading, and it's actually really good. I liked the characters, and after only this short 'part 1', I can't wait to read more. Please continue writing this.
-thatboy
It's not what life makes of you;
But what you make of life.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:28 am
Shearwater says...

Okay! So I decided to review this for you because as mentioned before, I am more powerful in the fiction area rather than the poetry area.

Anyway, away we go!

Yuppie city folk wearing dollar-store plastic cowboy hats and belt-buckles half-hidden by their sagging beer guts, playing rodeo and boasting to anyone who would listen about the bruises they’d gotten falling off the mechanical bull. Pathetic.

This is a mouthful and the first sentence didn't really seem like a sentence that said anything at all. Just a mere description, if that was the case then I think it's negotiable to add in "were" after "folk" to clarify that we're speaking about what kind of people are inhabiting the town of Yupppie. =)
He grinned, a little less sheepishly.

The comma here isn't really necessary.

I. Opener

This is something that will need work, especially in a novel. You want to make sure your words pull in the reader and your beginning should've lassoed our interest but it didn't. Well, I would be lying if I said it didn't because I honestly continued reading, didn't I? However, this can use extra attention to make it more powerful. Nothing over-done but certainly something worth a little more. To me, It seemed like I started reading a novel from the middle or perhaps another chapter, not the first chapter. Anyway, you're free to bug me about this further if I failed to explain myself.

II. Description

Your description was pretty okay, it wasn't anything terribly fancy so that was good and it wasn't too easy either. It was quite light to read and I liked that. However, I think you might want to add just a tad bit more of it. For example, you didn't give off a really clear imagery of how the waitress looked like. She seems to be a slightly important character here so I'd like to know what she looks like. In addition to that, the feeling that I received from this was kinda bland, like it's good but is just missing that spice. For example, pretend I'm eating pasta but I forgot to add the salt so my pasta tastes good but that kick that brings out all the flavor is missing. You're missing some salt.

Your dialogue was short clipped but that's not something you seriously want to change. Clogged up dialogue with extra description that says where their hands moved and how their eyebrows lifted isn't exactly very fun to read - it gets boring so I'm glad you didn't stuff your dialogue in this chapter. It actually brought out some of the characteristics that I think our friend Jack has. But, it would be nice to read up on some little human actions during this dialogue that might showcase our protagonist's personality. For example, does he fidget when he talks, does he tap his foot on the ground if he's nervous or does his shoulders square up when he's feelings proud and accomplished after riding that bull and showing off to the waitress? I mean, just a little action description goes a long way as well.

III. Characters

I actually don't have too much to say about the characters. It's still the first chapter and we're still building them up and getting to know them. We did learn a little bit of something about Jack and what his life was like so you did accomplish your setting and even gave us a glimpse into his background a little which was nicely done.

The protagonist seems like a fun character, someone who is somewhat mysterious in a sense as well as calculative and I'm interested in seeing where his road takes him and what kind of plot will begin to form in the future chapters. I'm also wondering what role this waitress plays. Is she important to the story? Or is there something more up ahead for us?

IV. Overall

In the end, I did enjoy reading this and yes, I'm going to continue following it and reviewing your future chapters. It's a bit late as of now so I don't think I'll review the second chapter today but I will try to finish the second part of this so hopefully you'll get that tonight. ^^

You did quite well and your story is intriguing on a level to me and I like the simplicity that your writing shows and yet you have a little promise in your work, something that says there is more to what it seems.

All in all, it's good work. There are a few things that might need enhancing but the overall quality of it is pleasable. If you have any questions with anything, be sure to ring me a bell. I'll be happy to brainstorm and talk about your plot and what not. ^^

I'm on to the next!
-SHEAR
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:34 am
View Likes
Audy says...

BlueAfrica,

I can tell that you've worked hard on this, so I'm excited to review it!

He sat in a corner booth at Yee-haw’s,

Not the most effective opening. The main character is sitting and watching and laughing at all the other folks who are having fun. I mean, I understand that's a bit of an understatement by my part - you have crafted this narrative here that clue us in to Jack's way of thinking, and you paint a clear scene and a clear voice. So all of that was pretty well done.

But what can I say? There's no heart in this. This part 1 of chapter 1 is all about a character and about the introduction of a character to the readers. So you're going to introduce him by having him sit and watch?

No!

This tough cow-boy fella needs a better entrance than that. This is a story! But this intro-paragraph reads more like social commentary.

Yuppie city folk wearing dollar-store plastic cowboy hats and belt-buckles half-hidden by their sagging beer guts, playing rodeo and boasting to anyone who would listen about the bruises they’d gotten falling off the mechanical bull.

Kind of a long sentence here. I'd suggest breaking it up into pieces :)

Somehow even more pathetic than the kids from his high school who'd gone the other way:

I'm not going to lie, when I read that "gone the other way" part, I immediately thought you meant to say they'd become homosexuals. Uhm. Yeah. So my mind is clearly in the wrong here, or maybe there's a better way to phrase it.

It sounded much less affected coming from his mouth than from their.

Affected? Are you sure that's the right word? Should be theirs.

and thrown him off in less than two seconds, and broken his nose.

Should be 'broke' his nose

Not the farmland. That was him.

I'm growing to like the protagonist. He has a distinctive voice and flavor about him, which I think is the point :P But more importantly, I like how he strongly identifies himself with ...well, being from the farmland.

My most immediate thought is why does this guy have so much hatred and prejudice towards "city-dwellers"...? So that does intrigue me. I'm wondering also if there's something developing between Jack and the waitress. That's just a vague impression I'm getting, but certainly nothing absolute since it's still early on.

These are the thoughts that make me want to read on. I can't tell you whether or not I like Jack yet, but I mentioned it to you before. This needs heart. This needs something to make me say I care about Jack.

Maybe the reason I don't particularly care about him yet is because I cannot relate to him being a "city-dweller" myself.

But when he got on that mechanical bull, that was a magical moment. He actually stopped what he was doing to show these people how it's really done. Now, i don't know about riding bulls, but I do know about upholding one's pride. Capitalize on that.

Well, that's about all I can see for this part. I will be doing the other parts as well. I hope this helps!

~ As always, Audy

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart