z

Young Writers Society

Country Boy: Chapter 1, Part 2

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:01 pm
BluesClues says...

He finished his Pabst, left a twenty on the table, and hit the streets. He owned a Taurus, but he never drove to Yeehaw’s. Gas was too expensive to waste it on driving such a short distance, and why pay for a taxi when he had two good feet? That was just damn silliness. Newcomers to the city and first-time tourists – they insisted on trying to navigate their suave rentals through the crowded streets and got angry about the traffic, but they refused to walk or take a taxi. Too dangerous, they insisted. If they weren’t mugged on the sidewalk they’d be scammed by some foreign cabbie. They didn’t know any more about New York than the New Yorkers did about the country.

He heard footsteps behind him, the loud clacking of high heels.

“Hey, wait!”

He turned. A blonde woman in skinny jeans, a denim jacket, and cowboy boots with a hat to match caught up to him, breathless and pink-cheeked, whether from the exercise or alcohol he couldn’t tell.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

“You – you rode the bull.”

“A lot of people ride the bull.”

“You’re the guy who didn’t fall off,” the woman clarified.

“Jack,” he said, holding out a hand.

“Lauren,” she said, shaking it. “I was just wondering if I could buy you a drink.”

“I just had a drink, thanks.”

She giggled. Strange, he thought, how grown women could still manage a giggle when they wanted things from you. He wished they would just laugh outright.

“I know you had a drink,” Lauren said. “You were at Yeehaw’s, of course you had a drink. What I meant was, maybe we could go somewhere. See some stars.”

He knew what she meant. The color in her cheeks hadn’t faded. Alcohol, not exercise.

“I don’t want to take advantage,” he said.

She flushed deeper.

“I’m not some drunken slut,” she said.

He pushed up the brim of his cowboy hat to get a better look at her.

“Aren’t you?” he said.

She glared at him.

“If I’d had a few more drinks, I’d slap you,” she said. “But you’re probably not even worth the effort.”

“Probably not,” Jack agreed, and to his relief she spat at him, missed, and click-clacked away, leaving a glistening splotch of saliva on the pavement. He felt bad about it, but he’d never found alcohol-inspired sex appealing, and from experience he knew insults were the easiest way to drive off tipsy women. (Insulting a man who’d had a few drinks usually resulted in a broken nose.)

Stargazing wasn’t a bad idea, though, he thought, even if she hadn’t meant it literally. He looked up automatically, but the tireless traffic lights, headlights, neon signs, and flashing billboards of New York polluted the sky. A haze of solid gray lay overhead. So not the city. Even Central Park wouldn’t give him a view of the stars.

“Time for a drive,” he said.

He walked the three blocks to his apartment on West 55th. His Taurus sat by the curb on the opposite side of the street. His family, despite being Ford people, thought he was silly for owning such a small and (as they saw it) useless automobile, but he liked it. Aside from being a decent car, it reminded him of the rodeo, just for its name: Taurus, the bull.

He had no definite plan in mind as he got in the car. He just knew that he wanted to see the stars, and he’d have to get out of the city to do it.

He drove a long time with only the road in sight. The vents hummed warm air into the car. Jack relaxed as he drove. He hadn’t been on a long drive since his move to Manhattan. He hadn’t been on a long drive to nowhere since before gas prices hit a buck fifty.

He drove more than an hour before he found what he was looking for. A long, solitary dirt road stretched before him in the moonlight. Gravel crunched beneath his tires as he parked beside the ditch. He sat still a moment before getting out. Strange, he thought, to be on a road not teeming with cars or people, even at one thirty in the morning. Strange to see no sidewalks or parking lots, and the nearest building a weathered old barn nearly five hundred feet in from the road.

His first silly thought when he got out of the car was that the air wasn’t smelly enough. He breathed deeply. No smog here, no fumes from passing cars or semis or taxicabs in need of repair, belching smoke from their tail pipes. No smell of fried foods or baked goods. Only the warm smell of manure, the scents of dew-covered grass and clean night air. The sounds, too, were vastly different: The singing of crickets and the deep-voiced bellow of a bullfrog on the shore of some nearby pond, rather than car horns, footsteps, the singsong speech of the Koreans who owned the bakery near his apartment.

He’d forgotten why he was here. He closed the car door and started walking. The moon shone brightly enough to cast a faint shadow on the road before him. He’d forgotten moonlight could shine so bright. He’d forgotten a lot, he figured, wagging his head left and right to take in the surrounding countryside. A split-rail fence lined one side, with pasture stretched behind it and dotted with sheds. The other side was a wood with a sign that said NO TRESPASS nailed to a tree every few yards. He’d never understood that, why people who owned woods were always so worried about trespassers. He’d never seen a field with such a sign.

Suddenly he remembered why he’d driven all this way. He looked up and gaped. Stars were strewn across the blue-black sky like oats in a field, like sands in the ocean. Everywhere, billions and billions of them. Winking down at him in a friendly way. He pushed back the brim of his hat and looked for familiar constellations. There was Draco, there, the long, skinny dragon, and there was the Little Dipper. Cancer was almost invisible, so close to tonight’s bright moon, but Cassiopeia was clear further north.

He stood there a long time with his head thrown back, staring at the stars. Then he started feeling stupid. What kind of idiot was he, standing here ogling at the stars like they were a hundred million pairs of perfectly-formed breasts?

Spoiler! :
Sorry to leave off there, but that's all I have written for now... Odd place to stop, I know...
Last edited by BluesClues on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm
View Likes
Lemikita says...

Then he started feeling stupid. What kind of idiot was he, standing here ogling at the stars like they were a hundred million pairs of perfectly-formed breasts?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard when I read that!!!!! I absolutely love that phrase! And don't worry, it's the perfect place to leave us hanging, now that we have all those perfectly formed breasts to ogle... :)

Great piece, the only thing that bothered me a little was how a little side comment by a drunk woman can lead him to driving all the way out there to look at the stars when apparently he hasn't ever done that before. Or at least not for a long time. Makes him seem a little more drunk than he is. I don't know...

~Lemikita

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 pm
Stori says...

whether form the exercise or alcohol he couldn’t tell.

Small mistake- 'form' ought to be 'from'. There aren't any other spelling errors.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 am
Shearwater says...

Okay, part two! Here we go!

So, I'm not going to take too long to review this one like I did in the other first chapter because we really don't have much to critique in this. We have about two important scenes in this part, one being the drunk lady and the second, star gazing.

There are, however, a few nitpicks that I do have for you which you might or might not want to avoid. Depends on where you're taking Jack and your writing. Firstly, in your writing - when we get to the descriptive parts such as when you describe how the country is absent of the annoying things the city has. You basically gave us a list of things it didn't have and continued on with it about neighbors and cars and buildings and stars and etc. We don't really need to know 'everything' because if you list more than three things that the country doesn't have, they better be something that we'll be surprised to hear. I'm sure the most of us know the difference between the two so you can spare us the little details like exhaust and smog and busy bodies prancing around at midnight in New York. So, try to lessen that. I think I've seen you do something similar to this in the first chapter but I turned a blind eye to it.

Another thing is Jack. The way you ended the ending makes me do a 'whoa!' because I didn't figure Jack to compare twinkling stars to breasts so this automatically makes me think our male lead might have a bit of a sense of adult humor. Nothing totally bad and it might even make your story quite funny and interesting to read. I like it when there's no holding back in a character, we all know that as humans, we're capable of making some ... odd comparisons. I've done it too. ;) In any case, if you plan on keeping Jack somewhat civil and country with a tad of swag that makes him loose and clever then I don't see where this humor fits in - however, it's too early to tell and if he does take a few steps on the wild side, I don't mind a single bit. Just something to keep in mind but I did find the last part quite funny even though it was abrupt.

Overall, this was a slow moving second part but it was enough to give us even a more deeper look into Jack and all he resembles. He obviously misses home and the clear skies along with his peace. But what is so tantalizing about New York that makes him stay there at his job? I don't seem to understand this and I'll be waiting to find the answer! ^^

I'll have the next part done soon.
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:22 am
Audy says...

Blue,

Okay, I lied. One more for tonight.

Alright, so straight off the bat we're getting to know more and more about Jack. Still don't know his surname though. Oh well. But I'm starting to see now that his contempt for city-dwellers is just a difference in values. And here I was ready to psychoanalyze him! xD

Well, okay! This is interesting to me because, as I said, I'm a "city dweller" and it's interesting to hear Jack's perspective. For example, he says we drive taxis/rental because we're afraid to get mugged? No. Where is he getting that idea?

I know with me, 90% of the time it's just because I don't want to walk. I suppose we're also conscious of our time. Why spend 20 minutes traveling, when we can spend 5. But I suppose Jack would think something like "why wouldn't anybody want to walk?" xD He seems to love walking. That's kind of nice ^^

Anyways, I'm not ranting about this because I want to debate, I'm merely saying that we all have our perspectives. And while Jack's perspective is quite nice, because it is different from my own and all, I feel as though this chapter once again, read more like a social commentary than anything else. So I'll tell you the parts I liked:

Interaction between Lauren and Jack. Lauren seems like an awesome person ^^ Jack is funny here, he also comes across as kind of clueless, but I like that about him :)

Then we get to more blah-blah-blah social commentary. And just so you can see for yourself that I'm not kidding. Here you go:

"Gas was too expensive to waste it on driving such a short distance..."

"He looked up automatically, but the tireless traffic lights, headlights, neon signs, and flashing billboards of New York polluted the sky. A haze of solid gray lay overhead. So not the city. Even Central Park wouldn’t give him a view of the stars. "

"Strange, he thought, to be on a road not teeming with cars or people, even at one thirty in the morning. Strange to see no sidewalks or parking lots... "

"His first silly thought when he got out of the car was that the air wasn’t smelly enough. He breathed deeply. No smog here, no fumes from passing cars or semis or taxicabs in need of repair, belching smoke from their tail pipes. No smell of fried foods or baked goods. Only the warm smell of manure, the scents of dew-covered grass and clean night air. The sounds, too, were vastly different: The singing of crickets and the deep-voiced bellow of a bullfrog on the shore of some nearby pond, rather than car horns, footsteps, the singsong speech of the Koreans who owned the bakery near his apartment. Wait a second, singsong speech sounds like a good thing to me...? "

You know, social commentary in stories is not a bad thing. It only becomes a bad thing when it is so explicitly stated. Have you ever read Animal Farm by George Orwell? I mean, it's a story about a bunch of animals, but it's critiquing Marxists. Never ONCE did the story mention Marxists or how their ideas are "wrong". Instead, it showed all this through the subtext. In other words, only by reading between the lines do we understand what George Orwell is really writing about. He does this through metaphors and symbols. Not prosy description. Something to think about, right?

It's kind of like trying to get a stubborn kid to eat his vegetables. You hide the carrots inside the cake, see?

Well, I am clearly seeing all these dull carrots in your writing and I want to get to the cake.

Ah, finally. Cake!

The other side was a wood with a sign that said NO TRESPASS nailed to a tree every few yards. He’d never understood that, why people who owned woods were always so worried about trespassers. He’d never seen a field with such a sign.

This is interesting. I would've loved to expand on this scene, rather than expand on city-smog. City-smong has been done to death since the Industrial Revolution. Bring something new, please. Like this here. This is something intriguing that sort of foreshadows something. Am I wrong to think this foreshadows something?

Ah, stars.

What kind of idiot was he, standing here ogling at the stars like they were a hundred million pairs of perfectly-formed breasts?

Wait, what? Is this the same charming, gentlemanly cow-boy from before? The one who tips his hat and says stuff like "I don't want to take advantage?"

O_o Maybe this wouldn't be so shocking if it didn't just come out of no-where.

Well.

I hope I wasn't too harsh in this part. But like I said, less social commentary, more character development. I'm still looking for a reason to care about Jack.

~ As always, Audy

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain