z

Young Writers Society

Truth Be Sold(Prologue)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 am
WriteWriter says...

Spoiler! :
This is the next book in the The Hardest Goodbye Series....this was previously known as the Warned book but I didn't nearly get as much done in that one as I did in this one.

Prologue

"Not now, I have to drive you home," Ember told Sarah. They'd just gotten home from Sarah's graduation party, she'd gone through second grade twice leaving her as a super senior. Summer had just kicked off and they were out celebrating. They'd been best friends since they were born, though it's kind of hard not to be when you're a twin. Ember refused the drink, knowing that it was illegal to drink under the age of 21. "C'mon, one drink, it's just rum and coke," Sarah was good at coaxing people and even though she knew she shouldn't, Ember took the drink and finished it off. "Now let's go Sarah, that's your 23rd drink and I've had one, please let me take you home," Ember smiled at her sister when she finally agreed. "Thank you," Sarah said as they turned onto the highway. "Anytime," Ember never let her sister go drink without having her there. "No really, thank you," she repeated. "Like I sa.." Ember's sentence was cut off by Sarah's scream as the truck in front of them swerved. She saw the vehicle in front of them a little too late. They were airborne for what seemed like a minute before the car crashed into the ground. Ember's world went silent.

Please, take this apart and tell me what you think and if I should put up the first chapter.

Thank you,
WriteWriter
Last edited by WriteWriter on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I Know I Can Wish Upon A Star But My Past Is My Past, And That Includes Last Night And Yesterday.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:15 am
Deathcurrent says...

Wow. That really drew me in and didn't let me go. I think I might just cry if you don't put chapter one up. I really like how you do this Prologue as a present day setting, then how you say:

But lets rewind a bit.

That really let me know that your going to tell me what's happened, rather than just continuing from this point.

PLEASE POST CHAPTER ONE WRITEWRITER!

Deathcurrent 8)
“Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here.” -- Spock from Star Trek

"There's power in stories. That's all history is: the best tales. The ones that last. Might as well be mine."-- Varric Tethras from Dragon Age II

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:57 am
Omnihat says...

Love it. It's a very, very short prologue, but it in only a few lines it gives you a nice feel to the novel and what it's about, all the while drawing you in and revealing very little. It's great. I didn't spot any grammar/spelling errors except for:
Yes, seventeen days ago I was pleaded guilty

No was. Either, 'I pleaded guilty' or 'I was found guilty'. You cannot be pleaded guilty.

I hope you post chapter one because I'd love to read it.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:38 am
Butterfly18 says...

From this small snippet, although i feel a sense of whats yet to come, I don't feel like its enough to comment on.

Seems its so short, I don't think it'd hurt if this was the opening to chapter one.

Unless of course chapter one is a different characters point of view or it goes from first person to third person. But this would be great as the opening to chapter one, however chapter one opens. Post chapter one, and I'll comment more on that one. This here isn't enough for me to make judgement.

Great start though, gripping. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm
katiejtaylor says...

I love your style! I feel like this character has already ripped open my soul, taken my heart, and has sewn me back up. I mostly agree with Butterfly 18 on how this could be the opening to chapter one. The only thing that I would say other than that is that you could have this as the intro, then have it as part of the beginning of Chapter 1, but elaborate more in the Chapter. It will give readers the desire for more, and it will help readers understand the story better. Keep writing!
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley