valued.
Once held dear,
just evaporated.
Gone.

I feel like I am
Searching for something,
But, it stays just out
Of reach.
Last edited by *singerofthenight* on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Hello, is this thing on?"

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:33 pm
Kale says...

This is a very interesting format for a chapter. Since it seems to be a poem, I'll be reviewing it as such.

The first thing you might want to do is change the spacing. If you go into the Edit screen, down at the bottom you'll see some Special Formatting options. Selecting Poem should get rid of the extra spaces that snuck in between each line.

Right now, the spacing makes this poem not very nice-looking, which in turn makes it not very fun to read.

Another thing I I noticed was how every single line is capitalized, and how some of the line breaks just don't make sense. For example:

Everything that was once
Valued. Once held dear,

Why was the line broken at "valued"? The rest of the poem breaks lines at more natural pauses, so this abrupt break feels off. Also, capitalizing the start of every line, unless the poem is in a set form like a sonnet, makes the poem look like it was written by an amateur.

I'm assuming this poem is written from a character's point of view. Right now, the impression I get of that character is that they're a rather whiny and angsty teen, and not particularly interesting in how they whine and angst. If some of the images in the poem were a bit more unique rather than cliched and trite, the poem would give off more of an impression that the character is the lonely and artistic type.

In poetry, how things are said reveals a lot about the person, when the how is not common. You have a potentially very interesting way of characterizing your character using this poem, but right now, I'm not seeing very much characterization unless you were aiming for the stereotypical emo type.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein