Serpent's Teeth [5]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

FIVE

I’d given Justine the evening off, so I had to prepare the wash water myself. I was too tired to wait for a whole bath, so I heated enough water for two basins and let Kettlesing take one. I’d had Justine make up one of the spare rooms that afternoon so Kettlesing didn’t have to go home.

I went to my own room and set the basin and gently steaming jug on the bureau. I washed my arms, but it wasn’t until I looked in the mirror that I realised there was blood in my hair. For a moment I just stared at my reflection, then took the jug of unused water and dumped it over my head, digging my fingers deep into my scalp until it hurt. A few long curling strands of hair floated on the surface of the basin water, light blonde stained dark with Lenore’s blood.

I sank down onto the floor and buried my head in my arms, shuddering with revulsion. I could see her face, Lenore’s face, her lips flecked with rich red blood, her cheekbones sharp as knives, her skin puckered with suture lines, her dead lank hair spreading out over her pillow, the patches of new skin I’d had to sew together over her chest where her own skin had given way.

She would never be able to nurse her own child. She probably wouldn’t be able to give birth either. She would never be able to marry; no man would want her. She was a patchwork of mistakes. She was an abomination. Lenore was gone. The thing on my table downstairs wasn’t Lenore. It was a monster.

What had I done?

I’d done the best I could.

That thought made me pause, and for a second, it steadied me a little. I’d done the best I could. It wasn’t my fault that the thing I’d done was wrong. I’d had to do it, and I’d done the best I could. My workmanship was impeccable. No one could blame me for that.

I reached for the edge of the bureau and pulled myself up. My head swam. I realised how very tired I was, so I staggered towards the bed, pulling my shirt off over my head and kicking off my boots before crawling between the sheets.

I fell asleep almost immediately, but I dreamed of Lenore’s face, maggots crawling out of her eyes and blood gushing from her mouth as she smiled at me. Lord Deveraux’s eyes were on fire. ‘I know what happened in Ingolstadt,’ he told me, his clawed hand digging deep into my shoulder. I looked down and saw blood spreading down the front of my shirt but Lord Deveraux scowled at me and the fire in his eyes spread and split into a thousand torches held high in the night and I had to run, run and run and run for my life, but there was a lead weight around my neck holding me back (‘Adam!’) and a sickening feeling of guilt until I felt that the best thing to do would be to stop and let the torches burn me up, as if that would stop the horrible screaming rising up in the night behind me, the screaming of women who wailed out of grief for the dead. And there was a child crying, crying on and on, sobbing for its father, and when I reached out to comfort it, it buried its face in my neck and only cried harder until we were both rocking back and forward in shared grief.

It was bright daylight when I awoke. I stretched out under the coverlet, shivered, and curled up again, wrapping my arms around my knees and burying my nose in the pillow. I could feel the cold air bite the back of my neck, so I huddled down deeper. Someone had lit the fire; I could hear it crackling in the grate. I raised my head a fraction.

Clean clothes laid out, a steaming wash jug, and a tray with teapot and cup and saucer. Justine, I thought, and hoped she’d done the same for Kettlesing. Had I told her to wait on him? I couldn’t remember.

I slid out of bed and padded across to the basin. In the cold new morning light, I saw that there was blood under my fingernails. I stared at it, wondering how it could have seeped through my gloves, before I remembered the blood in my hair. I stopped cold for a second, then swallowed and began my ablutions. I dressed, poured myself a cup of tea which I drank too quickly, scalding my tongue, and hurried downstairs.

Justine was in the kitchen, singing something about true love’s dream. ‘Good morning sir,’ she said cheerfully.

‘Good morning Justine,’ I said absently. ‘Is Kettlesing up?’

‘He was asleep when I lit his fire, sir. Can I get you anything?’

‘No, I had the tea.’ I wandered over to the back door and opened it. The rain had washed the mud from the street cobbles and they sparkled under the sun. The morning smelled fresh and clean, and my eyes were drawn to the mountains rising up behind the lake, bluer than the grey morning sky, and capped with gleaming snow.

‘Sir,’ Justine said, firm but polite. ‘The draft’s not doing the fires any good.’

‘Sorry,’ I said.

‘Sir. The door.’

‘What?’

She came to my side and closed the door. Pulling the latch to, she looked up at me and asked, ‘Is anything the matter, sir? You seem distracted.’

Her face was very close to mine, and I could see how dark her eyes were, and her remarkable her lashes, long and dark and thick, like a deer’s. She smiled, and she stepped closer, holding her shoulders back and her head up. ‘Sir?’

I shook my head. ‘It’s nothing, Justine. I’m just tired.’

‘Do you need anything? Anything I can give you?’

‘Another cup of tea would be nice.’

She retreated back a few steps, rubbing her arms. ‘Yes sir. Of course.’ She rubbed her arms as though she were cold, but her cheeks were flushed pink.

I sat down at the kitchen table and drank my tea, but I was thinking of the mountain and the lake, their peace and beauty, and it was these thoughts that I took down with me to my workshop.

Lenore’s body was small and still under the white sheet, and I sat down on the chair, breathing in the comforting smell of iodine and formaldehyde. The air was very still. I could vaguely hear Justine moving about upstairs, but nothing else except my own breathing.

The body was so still that for a moment, panic gripped me, and I hastily lifted the sheet to check that she was still breathing. She was. In and out, slow and steady, her stitched chest rising and falling. I felt suddenly ashamed watching her like this, and realised that there was nothing left for her to wear. I had cut her nightgown off her last night because that had been easier than undressing her, and I had not been thinking further than getting the whole horrible business over and done with. Now I realised that she was naked under the sheet. My face flamed with shame and I dropped the edge of the sheet back over her and retreated back to the chair.

The stillness was deafening, my breathing loud and awkward. I shifted in the chair and stared at the ceiling, then took a coin out of my pocket and began to flip it over my fingers. The faint light filtering through the grate at the end of the room glinted off the silver and I closed my eyes, focusing only on walking the coin across my knuckles, the coolness of it against my skin, the stretch and flex of the tendons in my hand.

A whimper.

I started, and the coin rang on the floorboards. I leapt to my feet and dashed to the table, lifting the sheet. Lenore’s eyes were moving back and forth under her eyelids. Her lips quivered.

‘Lenore?’ I said softly.

Her eyelashes fluttered, and her whole face convulsed, a shudder running through her body. I touched her shoulder, and her eyes flew open. She stared at the ceiling, her chest heaving, her eyes wide and blind. She blinked.

‘Lenore?’

Her head snapped sideways and she stared at me. Her mouth opened a little, her lips dry and cracked. She began to say something but stopped. She swallowed. One of her hands fumbled up out from under the sheet and traced a shaking path over her face. She felt the suture lines across her hairline and down her temples and her eyes opened wide.

‘Lenore,’ I said. ‘It’s all right. You’re safe. You’re—’

‘No.’ It came out cracked and broken.

‘It’s all right,’ I said quickly, reassuringly, ‘everything’s all right, you’re—’

She hoisted herself upright, and the sheet fell down around her waist. She looked down at herself, at the puckered black lines of stitches across her body, the terrible purple bruising standing out starkly against her white skin; and she raised her hands again to her face, digging her fingers into her hair. She began to shake her head.

‘Your parents will be here soon,’ I said.

‘My parents?’ Her voice was a hoarse whisper. ‘My parents are dead.’

‘No,’ I exclaimed, shocked. ‘No, no, they’re not.’

‘My parents died of the pox when I was...’ Her voice trailed away. ‘No, no, they’re... they’re dead, they... they died of the pox when I was... no, they’re alive, they’re... they died of the pox...’

‘Lord and Lady Deveraux,’ I said gently. ‘Your name is Lenore Deveraux. You were ill, but you’re better now.’

‘Lenore?’

‘Lenore Deveraux.’

‘My name is Marie Trier, I’m not...’

She was digging her fingers into her scalp. ‘Your name is Lenore Deveraux,’ I said, reaching out to take her hands, but as soon as I touched her, she began to shake her head wildly from side to side, her hair flying out around her.

‘No,’ she moaned, ‘I’m not, I’m not, I’m not dead, not dead, Mama said no I wouldn’t be but I’m dead I know I’m dead I have to be dead I’ve always been dead—’

‘Lenore—’

She began to scream, tearing at the suture over her face, shaking back and forth. I caught at her arms but she beat her fists against my chest, trying to claw my face. ‘I should be dead!’ she screamed. ‘I’m dead, I’m dead, I’m dead! You shouldn’t have, you’ve just made me dead again but I was already dead! I want to be dead, I want to be dead!’

I held her down on the table, pulling the sheet up around her to keep her still. She was not strong enough to fight me, and her screams gave way to gasping tears.

‘You’ll tear your stitches,’ I said gently.

Tears ran down her chin but she didn’t wipe them away. I lifted her to tuck the sheet more firmly around her body. She said, ‘I wish I was dead.’

I held her against my heart and pressed my cheek against her brittle hair. ‘I know,’ I whispered.

She let loose a shuddering breath. ‘Mama wouldn’t let me die. I wanted to die. Papa said there was nothing wrong with that, that I was brave enough to face it. But Mama...’

‘Your parents love you,’ I told her. ‘They love you more than anything in the world. Especially your papa.’

‘Then why am I here? I should be dead but I’m not alive. I’m... I’m not what I was. I don’t feel Lenore. I feel others... I feel more. My parents... they died of the pox...’

‘It’s just flesh,’ I whispered. ‘You are Lenore and you are alive and your parents love you.’

She began to cry again. I felt her tears seep through my shirt, and I kissed her hairline and laid her back down. ‘Go to sleep,’ I said. ‘You need to sleep. I’ll stay with you. Go to sleep.’
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 am
View Likes
Kafkaescence says...

Wow.

Wow. Okay. Lots to digest here, like last chapter. As always, Twit, your style was charming, intriguing, all that. I'm beginning to get a sense of where this story is headed, now that the story has progressed passed that fork in the road that we'd come across after chapter four concluded, that great, weighty enigma that propelled the reader into this chapter: what would the revived Lenore be like? I think you've satisfied the my voracious ponderings quite agreeably, though - and I'll get back to this later in the review - I have a suggestion or two for you to consider.

While I'm on the subject of positives, I love the irony of Victor's buying of the flowers for Lenore, with those subtle red herrings pointing instead towards Justine being the recipient. While it may not be vital to the story, it's a nice touch of literary skill on your part.

I'm more iffy about the grammatical ungainliness displayed by the flower seller. It gives her the air of an overzealous businesswoman suffering from a deprivation of customers, which would obviously contradict Justine's recommendation of her in the first place. And even then, I think you're dramatizing her zeal to the point of distraction; toning down her impetuous speaking seems the obvious remedy.

Now to the more prominent aspects of the piece. My biggest criticism is that Victor's despondence regarding his dissection of Lenore seems rather ostentatious. I don't think it fits his choice of profession to be so affected by the job - wouldn't he have, I don't know, some natural invulnerability to such feelings? If not, I would expect his past experience with human dissection to strengthen his mentality somewhat. But that's not what I'm seeing.

As I remember, you recognized this in an earlier chapter and attempted to justify it by saying that prior to Lenore, his subjects had been nothing but flesh, whereas Lenore was more of a person, someone he had known, had spoken with. This brings me to my next point.

There is quite a bit of weight being accorded to Victor's relationship with Lenore, but I'm not sure it can hold it all. I mean, what did he do? Talk to her for, like, a minute? Ask her her favorite color? He claims to have known her - or at least, claims to have recognized the uniqueness of her person - but only this fleeting conversation separates her from all his other subjects. What makes her so special?

So I ask of you as the review concludes: let us get to know Lenore, not just see her.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:04 pm
View Likes
davantageous says...

i love it. amazingly.........
Davantageous

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm
davantageous says...

Whoah>>>>>>>>>>>.wow.....................uhhhhhhhhhhhh.........ok......i love it. amazingly.........
Davantageous

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Totes jumping right in. Because I love you like that.

I’d given Justine the evening off, so I had to prepare the wash water myself. I was too tired to wait for a whole bath, so I heated enough water for two basins and let Kettlesing take one. I’d had Justine make up one of the spare rooms that afternoon so Kettlesing didn’t have to go home.

This... was blah. I dunno, but it just sort of dragged. It's just so "and then I did this". Sure, it manages to communicate some information, but as an opening paragraph to the chapter, it just sort of was off-putting, especially after the vibrancy of the last chapter.

For a moment I just stared at my reflection, then took the jug of unused water and dumped it over my head, digging my fingers deep into my scalp until it hurt.

A little nitpicky, I shall get, but this sentence could stand to be broken up. I get that he's scrubbing his head after having dumped the water over it, but the way the sentence actually reads doesn't make much sense. Perhaps a break after "head" and then a second sentence about the scrubbing?

She would never be able to nurse her own child. She probably wouldn’t be able to give birth either. She would never be able to marry; no man would want her. She was a patchwork of mistakes.

I love this. For some reason, these few lines carry so much more emotional weight. The details, unconventional and personal, make this stand out as weighty so much more than the rest of the paragraph. Really, the rest of it sort of dissolves into rather dull cliche, but I lovelovelove this first bit. So very much.

I fell asleep almost immediately, but I dreamed of Lenore’s face, maggots crawling out of her eyes and blood gushing from her mouth as she smiled at me.

Ah, PTSD. I can't wait to read more about this. Seriously.

‘Is Kettlesing up?’

Is Justine aware of who Kettlesing is? I mean, how much does she know? I love her to death so far, what with your shipteasing all over the place (seriously, why must you make my shipping goggles go "bing"?), but how exactly she relates to everything is vague. Perhaps there is to be some reveal later, but as of right now, beyond the fact that she is apparently crushing on Victor, we don't know anything about her. What is her place in this story beyond a romantic false lead?

She stuck up two fingers at their backs

Ah, rude gestures. How I love them.

but nothing else except my own breathing.

Okay, in this paragraph alone, there are, like, three or four instances of variations on the word "breathing". Just calling your attention to it because I noticed it. *snugs*

For some reason, I hadn't been expecting the moment of Lenore waking up. I mean, I guess I knew logically that somewhere along the line, she would have to wake up and see what had been done to her, but it didn't really click with me emotionally. Aaaand, therein I think is where my main criticism continues to lie. I don't want to beat the point into oblivion, but anyone and everyone's emotional connection with Lenore is not carrying through to the reader. She's been mainly a tool, a device, a way to keep the plot going for everyone. It isn't until this chapter that we get to see anything of her as a person (and, it might not even be Lenore that we're seeing here).

Now, on the one hand, this idea of her not really being a person until she comes back wrong could be interesting. It's a cool idea. The problem is that before this, we've been constantly "told" about her and everyone's investment in her. We've heard all this stuff about her and Victor's been weirdly obsessed with her, but it's all been "telling". I haven't felt anything for her the person, and I don't understand why or how any of the other characters feel their emotions towards her. So now, when I'm finally getting to see her as a person, this being "shown" to me, I don't really care. It's jarring, because I haven't seen it before.

Make sense?

Also, that brings up a question: why is it that Lenore is coming back wrong? Is that her brain in there? I was under the impression that she had her own brain. Am I right about that? If so, how did she end up with completely different memories. Did something wire together wrong in the coming back? Or, if it wasn't her brain, why not? Clearly, putting in the wrong brain would oh so definitely result in someone who is not Lenore. Just a leeeeetle confuzzled here.

All in all though, I am intrigued. The tone of the novel feels a little different. Not in a bad way, but definitely a different way. Lenore being, y'know, a person is really changing the energy.

I look forward to more! *drools*

~Gryph
I am reminded of the babe by you.

245 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 245
Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:03 pm
sargsauce says...

Hellooo!!!

I was perusing the novels and found this! I just read all 5 chapters in one go. Overall great stuff, really. The macabre parts are dark and Victorian (pun?), the description is morbid (anytime Victor encounters a piano or looks at Justine), and the plot is enthralling. The part where she wakes is great and disconcerting.

These are the points that have stuck out to me:

1) You keep only showing us only one side of Victor. His business-like practicality. It all comes back to that. The things he says to the Lord and Lady. His concern with the scandal (because it mostly revolves around "I will never work again" without regret, remorse, or anger). I like his little mannerisms, but that's not enough to flesh him out.

2) A lot of people say the same thing repeatedly.
Lord says, "You will bring her to life discreetly or I will out you."
Victor says, "I cannot do it. I will do it." (Though the flower thing and the developments in this last chapter did give us a nice new viewpoint).
Lady says, "I love my daughter" in what few lines she has. However, this is appropriate, though, given how second-string women were in Victorian novels.
Kettlesing says, "Are you okay?" and "I will help you."

3) You have said that he cannot use just mostly one body, but why? Yes, he has to replace the broken parts (lungs, hair), but why is her skin patchwork? So far, it feels more for effect than anything.

4) While the macabre parts are Victorian, it doesn't necessarily feel Victorian. The fast-paced dialogue can ruin this at times. But this can be dismissed as a modern reimagining.

5) Some descriptions are used more times than is ideal. Particularly, I think about how you describe Lenore's knife-like, paper features. Reading it in one go, I was treated to descriptions of stretched, paper-thin skin and angles fairly close to each other. I think. I may be mistaken.

6) Kettlesing seems strange to me. Not gravekeeper enough. I'm used to Victorian writing having each character have his role, and then all else develops from there. So for the gravekeeper to be such a caring, helpful confidant just seems strange.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:11 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Twit! <3

I so love you for posting this chapter. It's one of the best yet and it offers some nice change to the plot line and also arises some new conflicts in the making as well as questions.

For one, we can start off with Justine. I honestly didn't have much hopes of her being anything more than the girl who follows orders and makes coffee and biscuits but I guess she has a crush on her boss which isn't going to end well, I think. But nonetheless, that was an interesting turnabout and this means we might need some more information on Justine as well and hopefully, she'll enter the picture some more if she's important, that is.

Another thing is that Lenore is awake! I had a feeling something was going to go wrong and I was almost right. I had guessed she might wake up to something similar to this, having a confused personality disorder or something. However, I shrugged that away though because I thought we were keeping Lenore's brain and just changing some of her skin and other organs, nothing to do with memory so I wasn't sure why her personality would alter to the rest of the 'spare parts'. Unless, I'm missing something.
This might need some further explanation as to how these memories and personalities formed and molded together into a confused, crazy little pitiful girl. I'm also wondering what Victor's next actions will be for her. I doubt he'll allow her to continue living a lie with her parents and all.

And in other news, I am going to back up Incognito about Lenore and Frank's feelings over her. I can't seem to wrap my mind around exactly what about Lenore made Victor feel sympathy and pity for her? Has he never met the previous people he's dissected and turned? What exactly is different this time around? Is it because she's a child perhaps? I think I remember you mentioning that in the past, it was the first time he had to dig up children graves or something.

Anyway, overall this is a great chapter and as always, you writing is magnificent and so are your descriptions. I like how you're still keeping Victor's personality the same yet we can see the growth he's already going through. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. :3

Best wishes,
-Pinky
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss