z

Young Writers Society

Crossing Court

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 am
Grandison says...

TAKING THIS DOWN FROM THE SITE
Last edited by Grandison on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am
bexy89 says...

Hi,

I liked this opening to the story, although it didn't give an awful lot away about the storyline but I think it's fairly easy to imagine. It's very well written and your spelling and grammar is great. Just two nit-picky points:

“Already? Gees,”
Lose the comma.

“Congrats, when he gets big, we’ll toss around a football.”
This would read better using 'bigger' rather than 'big.'

Other than that it was good, I enjoyed it. Good luck with the competition.

Becki
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

My Website: www.beckitedford.com

Random avatar

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 am
Grandison says...

Thanks so much, fixed!

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 am
Payne says...

Hey there.

Alright, critiques first.

Your narrator has a very easy and appealing voice for the most part, but at times it sounded stiff and unnatural. For example:

The smell of Gain was tickling my senses, as my mother had probably washed my sheets and pillowcases with the detergent. [I understand the sentiment of it, and it's a good opening line, but from a reader's standpoint it seems rather flat, especially coming from this character.]

Opening my eyes I began to wake up, my internal alarm clock let me know that it was morning. [This sentence bothers me. Shouldn't he begin to wake up before his eyes open? Consider rephrasing this.]

Tonya got out of bed and stretched her little fourteen year old body. She was just a kid but she already had the body of a woman, which was the reason why she was staying nights at my house. [In my opinion, these two statements are somewhat contradicting. Her 'fourteen-year-old body' gives me the impression of, well, a girl who looks fourteen. But if she has the body of a woman, that means early physical maturity and not the body of a young girl.]

Also, I noticed a lot of run-on sentences:

A nervous chill ran down my spine, crap, I hadn't expected to get caught. ['A nervous chill ran down my spine' should end with a period, and 'crap, I hadn't expected to get caught' should start as a new sentence. There are quite a few of these run-ons throughout the story, so you might want to do some proofreading.]

Overall, I'd say you've got the start to an interesting story here. Drama and conflict are well-established with the situation regarding Tonya.

Keep on writing!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

Random avatar

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 am
Grandison says...

Ok, I changed the beginning, I need to know if it still needs work

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket