z

Young Writers Society

A Letter to Pedantic Americans

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 pm
Angela says...

I think I love you. Just today I heard at lunch how the English (does your country in general prefer English or British, do you think?) spell things weirdly. I actually like your spelling better. Ours is always messed up. I'm American, by the way. Ours is definitely messed up. Actually, I think I would go so far as to say that a fair portion of the English language is a little funky. If I were a foreigner trying to learn to spell English words, the silent would probably bamboozle me to no end. Yes, I did just use the word 'bamboozle'.

I loved this essay, and the P.S. had me laughing. :) Keep writing!
Colossal Compendium of Complications and Confusion = MY LIFE

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 pm
Fael57 says...

America will change its measurement system when Britain converts to Euros :P Why all this negativity? World diversity is awesome. Do we all need the same measurement system? What's next, one world language? One world currency? One world government....? Consolidation is not always a good thing.

As far as the grammar goes, there aren't many people who are fluent in every dialect of English. For example, there are words used in Canada, Brooklyn, Louisiana, Texas, Minnesota, and Britain to name a few that most outsiders would not understand. This all stems from ethnic and geographic background differences, which I believe most of you will agree are not BAD things. It's merely how you were raised or where you come from :wink:

No more negativity!

As for the football issue, American Football IS one of the most popular sports here. Yes, it is more pansy than rugby, but also safer :P
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Theodore Roosevelt

"It is better to be present with ten men than absent with ten thousand."

Timur the Lame (Tamerlane)

"I know that I know nothing at all."

Aristotle

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 am
MeanMrMustard says...

ArticulateOverlord wrote:My Dear Americans,

There is something I wish to direct your attentions to, and that something is the existence of British English. Although essentially the same as American English in all the important aspects (else one would cease to be English), there are several marked (but ultimately superficial) differences in typography, most noticeable of which involves spelling. Take "colour" and "favour", for instance: the presence of the "u" is deliberate, as are the "o" in "foetus" and the "a" in "encyclopaedia".

These so-called "extra letters" are not errors; they are in fact perfectly valid spellings. Please stop "correcting" them. It is mistakenly pedantic and ultimately futile considering that the rest of the world uses British English. Although, if one must be absolutely technical about it, the "ae" in "encyclopaedia" should be rendered "æ" with the "oe" in "foetus" similarly rendered as "œ". Alas, standard English keyboards do not come readily equipped with æsc and ethel keys, or ligature keys in general.

In any case, the fact of the matter is that, while Americans in general seem in favor of amputating letters willy-nilly, the British seem to have more of an appreciation for the history of our shared language and so retain the older, more historied spelling, just as Americans insist upon retaining the imperial system of measurement. Please keep that in mind before you go about "correcting" misspellings in an otherwise grammatically sound piece.

With Regards,

P. S. — Give up the imperial system. The British abandoned it years ago, and they invented it. Besides which, metric is far more sensible.

Ah Art. I'm going to shed a little bit of light here, as I promised so very, very long ago. Seems you provoked quite a response of cretins coming from the wood-works! Oh-ho-ho little YWS'ers don't get mad. This is satire, and when done best, it is humourous and insulting. The hope is we look at the actual intent and see the true nature of something within! With that, to the review!

There is something I wish to direct your attentions to, and that something is the existence of British English. Although essentially the same as American English in all the important aspects (else one would cease to be English), there are several marked (but ultimately superficial) differences in typography, most noticeable of which involves spelling. Take "colour" and "favour", for instance: the presence of the "u" is deliberate, as are the "o" in "foetus" and the "a" in "encyclopaedia".

My good man might I say you have an impeccable writing voice. Yes, quite chiseled. However, one must always seek to their ideas as much as their grammar and semantics. Let us observe "there are several marked (but ultimately superficial) differences in typography" and we see an admission. An admission, of superfluous nature. Now we might say this is but satire assuring itself of its own nature, but is satire truly satire if it is indecisive?
And truly, I wonder why American English dropped the character of letters in its own words.

These so-called "extra letters" are not errors; they are in fact perfectly valid spellings. Please stop "correcting" them. It is mistakenly pedantic and ultimately futile considering that the rest of the world uses British English. Although, if one must be absolutely technical about it, the "ae" in "encyclopaedia" should be rendered "æ" with the "oe" in "foetus" similarly rendered as "œ". Alas, standard English keyboards do not come readily equipped with æsc and ethel keys, or ligature keys in general.

Ha! That's better, though...I must say, a little more biting please? This might have avoided misunderstandings, or rather, provoked more! But I will say, valid points in criticizing American English. Keyboards are rather shortsighted in my opinion. Oi vey!

In any case, the fact of the matter is that, while Americans in general seem in favor of amputating letters willy-nilly, the British seem to have more of an appreciation for the history of our shared language and so retain the older, more historied spelling, just as Americans insist upon retaining the imperial system of measurement. Please keep that in mind before you go about "correcting" misspellings in an otherwise grammatically sound piece.

Quite true! Americans do do this. However ma' boy, as do Brits. So make it more venomous! Hit us with more than imploring for a desire, hammer us with a good one two punch! And remember, don't express doubt of your own platform with trivial differences. Necessary, important, culturally, and historically significant differences.

A fine bite of satire. Not heavy handed, truly meant to poke fun, though it can use crisping up. It's a matter of changing the composition of the piece and the nature of a few words. Yet, the responses made acclaim to the potency of your work. Good job AO.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 am
LookUpThere says...

le bump

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus