z

Young Writers Society

A Piece on Education

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm
Stori says...

Education- it's a nightmare. After teaching hundreds of kids yearly, is it any wonder that teachers and staff are frustrated? And how is one Appreciation day a year going to help?

I know students are frustrated too. We're beginning an age where computers replace actual instruction.
Would you want your house built by contractors who learned their trade through software? Neither would we.

What about students who learn by touch (tactile learners)? For me and many others, a model of a sphere or square pyramid is more helpful than a picture. (Just what do all those dotted lines mean?) And what about art? Personally, I love sculpture. This can't be done, though, without kiln or clay. (Please don't tell me the preschoolers will eat it.)

Another nightmare: the PTA. Why not have our parents teach us directly? (I realize not all of them can, but my home-school managed. You can have one or two sets of parents per ten or twenty kids.)
Last edited by Stori on Fri May 13, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 pm
TylynRae says...

Edits. Thouch, should be touch I think. And you say that you can have or two parents. One or two if I'm correct.

Sorry I sort of just bashed those on the head but I needed to get them out so then I remembered =]. But anyway, I agree with you entirely! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have my computer but technology is too overwhelming anymore. I like graphic design and all... but painting and working with clay really can't be replaced by a computer. But yeah, I agree with this piece and I'm glad that you wrote it. It would be a really good essay if you lengthened it and made more points. But yeah =] Good work
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 pm
AdoxagraphyAngelus says...

I really liked the topic this article is on. I'm home-schooled, and I have over-the-phone teachers. My mom doesn't teach me, because we'd probably get upset too much, but I have other people who grade my work. And, teachers probably do get very upset. I would. Why would anyone want to teach kids who have no respect for adults, and who refuse to listen? Anyways, good job.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat May 14, 2011 4:30 am
MUCHO says...

living in California, I'm going to try my hardest to not mention the teacher's unions, but yah, education sucks. I just don't mean educational performance, but the idea in general. I mean, is it really necessary to live a good life? Do we really need to know how to fly to the moon or elaborate on the Divine Comedy, or use the pathagoreum therom? I know that in five billion years the sun is going to die, but I mean....

I don't really enjoy school, though I do real good and just took three AP tests, that which I believe I nailed considerably by the way, and I just took my SAT, which was pretty easy, even though I probably ended up scoring like a 1200 (taking the test at UCI is the closest I will probably get to higher education)

But in the end, we do need to learn things, we need people to cure diseases and build houses and such, but I don't think school should be mandatory, even though i would continue to go.

I just don't like it, if only I could not take anymore math or science and just focus on what interests me...

"We don't need no education!"

Actually we do, so I guess we are going to have to figure out all these issues.
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 pm
Formslipper says...

I read it. And haha, is this a comedy act?

Anyway, I'm home-schooled, so I wouldn't know if the schools are bad. Mine certainly isn't!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 am
View Likes
Bromthebard says...

Yeah the education system is messed up, but I will have to say that technology in school is a very good thing, but we can't let it get the better of us. I honestly think here in America we should do the education system like Germany: If you want to be a doctor, you take science and medical classes, you don't fool with music classes, if you want to be a composer, then don't worry about science classes. I want to work for the F.B.I. after getting a degree in psychology, I love science but I hate chemistry, yet I have to take it, why would a psychology major need chemistry? Whatever you are going to do with your life should decide what classes you take in high school. My friend is going to be a actor, he sucks at math, why should he get his chances of an acting scholarship ruined by his math grades, he shouldn't have to take math past algebra. Sorry about the rant.
I am.... a New Age Inkling! We must continue the fight for young authors, for it is the brave mans part to write with glory or with glory be rejected! (taken from a fellow New Age Inkling, Highlander)

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
— Martin Luther King Jr.