z

Young Writers Society

My Credo

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 pm
ToritheMonster says...

So, this is my credo statement for my affirmation. Tell me what you think! Comments? Suggestions? Edits?
Note: This is just my belief. Not a comment on anyone else's. I have no problem with anybody's religion, believe what you want and be happy.

I’ve never been exactly what you would call a religious person. I was raised half Jewish and half Christian; but neither of my parents pushed either. I was free to choose what I wanted at an early age. I never really did get around to the choosing part. I had always loved the sparkle of Christmas lights; the joy of rummaging through an Easter basket, the beauty of stained glass in a church. On the other end of the spectrum, I loved sitting in a welcoming synagogue with my grandfather, lighting a menorah, and dancing and singing the traditional Jewish songs every holiday.
Now that I’m a little older, I’ve found that it was never the praying, repenting, reciting part of religion that attracted me. It was the spiritual part- the feelings of joy, the warmth of a candle, the swelling lift of a song. That, today, is what I find my spirituality in.

In school, I was exposed to two sides: my peers, mostly religious Catholics, who wore little gold crosses and told me not to ask questions and to believe in the Bible. Then there were a few select others who told me that they didn’t believe in anything. This was a new idea to me. I had always thought, in a closed-minded way, that everyone had a God of some sort. This new idea possessed me; and I found myself connecting with it. Why did you need a God? Why would you believe in something you had no proof existed? Why would your bow down in worship to a being that killed as it blessed, and shunned everything different? I found that I, personally, didn’t.

To a degree, I understood some people’s undying faith in a deity. It was something that was always there, something all powerful that they could ask for guidance from. But I couldn’t accept a defined, exclusive Christian God any more than I could accept a Jewish God the Destroyer.

No; I didn’t believe in those things. So what do I believe in? What is my spiritual path? I think that I’m still finding that out every day. I don’t have a defined deity, no. But I believe that there are things that are divine: the crackle of energy- almost tangible- before performing onstage; the electricity in the air before a storm; the smell of parchment in a new notebook. And those are the things that I draw my spirituality from. I don’t pray to a God. I write; putting my prayers into stories. I don’t preach the Bible or Torah. I sing; I preach love or hope through the lyrics. That is my spirituality- it is not a defined, strict religion. Nor is my spirituality an unmoving rock in my life. To me, my spirituality is like a dream- intangible, sweet, and it doesn’t always make sense. Like a dream; I have awakenings, and then I fall back asleep and dream anew. And, like my dreams, my spirituality is mine specifically. I will not try to make others see it clearly or force them to it. I will expect them to be different in their beliefs; unique. It is what makes us human. Our spirituality may draw from different sources, and we might disagree often- but in the end, we all dream.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:25 am
okkervilpuddle says...

Hello! I want to talk about the last paragraph because it was my favorite:

No; I didn’t believe in those things. So what do I believe in? What is my spiritual path? I think that I’m still finding that out every day. I don’t have a defined deity, no. But I believe that there are things that are divine: the crackle of energy- almost tangible- before performing onstage; the electricity in the air before a storm; the smell of parchment in a new notebook.

The list of examples is good imagery. Especially the pairing of "crackle of energy" & "electricity in the air before a storm". It's almost like I can smell something burning.

I don’t pray to a God. I write; putting my prayers into stories. I don’t preach the Bible or Torah. I sing; I preach love or hope through the lyrics.

I like these sentences a lot. I like the meaning and I like how they sound. The semicolons look awkward, though. You do this later on and the issue is the same. You could rewrite this entire piece without semicolons and it would read much more smoothly. Also, some of them are used incorrectly.

That is my spirituality- it is not a defined, strict religion. Nor is my spirituality an unmoving rock in my life. To me, my spirituality is like a dream- intangible, sweet, and it doesn’t always make sense. Like a dream; I have awakenings, and then I fall back asleep and dream anew. And, like my dreams, my spirituality is mine specifically. I will not try to make others see it clearly or force them to it. I will expect them to be different in their beliefs; unique. It is what makes us human.

Just me, but I'd take out "Nor is my spirituality an unmoving rock in my life." I don't think it's necessary. Also, the semicolons are a problem here again. That being said, I love how you compare your spirituality to a dream. I think it's wonderful, and the way you expand on the analogy is very pretty. This is probably why I like this paragraph the best. I do find it repetitive, though, that you keep saying "like a dream" over and over. The phrase loses the power it originally had. I think you should just say it the first time, and then let your descriptions do the rest of the work.

Our spirituality may draw from different sources, and we might disagree often- but in the end, we all dream.

I think this would sound better if you cut it down a bit. Made it shorter and sharper.

So, yeah! I like this piece, it's sincere and it has some good imagery in it. I like the last paragraph the best because that's where you seem to really let yourself write. In my opinion, it has the most feeling to it. It has the strongest voice. The preceding paragraphs were well-written but I wasn't drawn in like I was at the end. My only suggestion is to maybe make them a little more interesting? A little more original? Anyway, good work :)

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 am
ToritheMonster says...

Thanks!
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm
SubjectBlue says...

I think this is an interesting point of view on religion.
i'm not sure i follow your point, but your arguments and thought are never the less fascinating
the writing to itself is on a high, drawing manner, making this little, um, statement just fun to read.
usually I have a lot more to say on the subject, but I'm dead tired, and I just couldn't go to sleep before reviewing this little piece

if you are interested, I would love to discuss the subject more thoroughly on another occasion, feel free to PM me
good night.
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians