z

Young Writers Society

A Collection of Thoughts

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 pm
Rubz says...

A year. I guess I don’t know what that means anymore. What significance does time really have? Sometimes a year goes by and you don't even notice it passing. The days turn to nights and then it’s the weekend then it's your birthday BAM its Christmas and just like that its New Year's Eve again and you find yourself full of optimism that this new year will bring greatness with it. Can a year completely change a person? I've learned it can. I've changed in every way. A year ago, I was your average 18 year old girl with a love affair with chocolate. Today, I'm a type 1 diabetic. A year ago, I had just graduated and the world seemed like it was mine for the taking. Today, I find myself wondering who that girl was and what she was thinking. A year ago, I wanted to save the world. Today, I sadly accept that the saving is only for those with the resources to make them elite and wonder if the world is even worth saving anymore. This world is no longer a vessel of hope nor a capsule of humanity. Money, or the lack there of, has become the center of all things. People say money can't buy happiness. But when you graduate with a 4.3 GPA but can't afford a university, it sure as hell seems like it can. When you watch your parents wither away year after year, turning into Godzilla and Japan right before your eyes because she thinks he didn’t work hard enough and he thinks she wasted all of his hard work, it sure as hell seems like it can. But its not just money. Yeah, yeah, they call it the root of all evil and whatnot, but there's a lot more evil around if you ask me. There's greed. There's corruption. There's laziness. There's discrimination. There's a man who's parents and siblings lived in poverty so he could get a college education, and now that he is wealthy and successful sees that they had no part in that success nor do they have a right to that wealth. The young have turned into an army of similar subjects answering only to the latest fashions and trends and disregarding the ways in which any moral compass would point. That is, those who even have a moral compass, most have done away with it altogether. I am making no claim that I have been completely immune to these things, but every once in a while I make it a point to remember who I am. To remember what I believe, how I was raised, who I want to be. Hypocrisy is a widespread disease among us, an epidemic if you ask me. The concepts of right and wrong, okay and not okay, acceptable and unacceptable, they have all been altered in ways that I'm sure make the bones of every human ancestor shiver in their graves. They couldn't have seen this coming, and who knows what's still to come? That's a scary thought. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." I disagree with that. We have a lot to be afraid of. Everybody's afraid of something, someone, some place. Whether its God or death or spiders or unemployment or being alone, we've all got something that we avoid even imagining because the thought sends a chill zooming through every nerve ending on our body. I'm scared. I used to be afraid of change, but can we really be afraid of something that we've already experienced to the point of irreversibility? Now I'm just afraid of consistency. I'm afraid of the lack of change.[/size]

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:53 pm
View Likes
WTMeighan says...

Hey Rubz,

Firstly, welcome to YWS etc. etc. I'm sure you'll like it here, seeing as you've got some good thoughts brewing in that brain it seems, from reading this.

I agree with the vast majority of what you're talking about here, and I feel a little sad for you that things have turned upside down for you in the past year. Although, you can always looks to the adage of "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade"... somehow... Some lateral thinking might be in order with that idea.

In terms of the actual writing, I enjoyed that greatly. Obviously it's a very personal account, and I particularly like the Godzilla/Japan image, both amusing and actually quite saddening. My main advice here would be to use paragraphs for this (I actually would have written this all in one block like you, but as a new user, you're likely to get stick for it straight off), however if you want to stick with the sort of stream-of-consciousness form, go for it.

Look forward to seeing more stuff Rubz!
And good luck with everything.
thatGHANhype
Many music articles/interviews/reviews of mine.
-----
Migraine Mixes
DJ sets/mixes I've being doing at parties/studio at home.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 am
dolwright says...

Good thinking Rubz! But the lack of paragraphs can be a major turn off to any reader at first. It made the piece seem rushed. But it is an interesting piece. Like the thoughts from a very intelligent writer, your thoughts are powerful and full of depth. I agree with your opening thought that talked about the significance of a year. Our activities in life are governed or bound, either consciously or unconsciously by the 365 days that make up a year, at the beginning of a year, we all have new dreams, we set new goals that must be achieved before the end of the year, and if these goals are not met, we feel like we've failed; all because the calender says it's December. It's the end of the year not the end of our lives. I admit that timing is an important factor in life but we should train our minds and will to master and control time. Only then can we be and actually feel free. Good luck and looking forward to read more thoughts from you.
'when I'm gone, my words will remain...
your word is a weapon, either of destruction or re-construction, whatever you make of it,
It's your choice.'

Reviews: 3
Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am
Chulel says...

Hi Rubz,

Much of what you're expressing in your writing are emotions/thoughts and frustrations that I have felt myself. I think it's important for each single individual to tell their story and I truly honour you for having the courage to put yourself out there!

To the writing in itself I can only agree with the 2 reviews before me about the paragraphs, other than that i think it was very powerful and revealing, it touched me and I'm looking forward to read more!

Much Love and Many Blessings
For the rest of my life I want to reflect on what light is.
- Albert Einstein

I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster