z

Young Writers Society

Mirror of Erised

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:27 pm
Desire says...

Everybody has dreams, desires, fears, curiosities and hopes. We've done things during the course of our lives that we will remember for as long as we live. Some of those memories are of times that have brought us great joy. They're filled with warmth and we will cherish them forever. But then there are moments that we wish we could take back. These are experiences that we don't quite want to take back because then we wouldn't be the people we are today. We do however wish we could have done them differently, maybe take back some of the disappointment it has brought.

If I had to look into the Mirror of Erised I would see my life filled with the same events. The last holiday I had with my grandfather while he was dying of cancer. The fines evening after a waterpolo tournament. An event that I am so ashamed of, I cannot even find the will power to see the words that would so powerfully describe it on this screen. Instead of spending that holiday denying the truth, I would have spent more time with a man that I now no longer have in my life but miss everyday of my life. I would have held onto him longer during each hug, inhaling deeply and slowly to allow myself to breathe in and remember is scent. Rather than give that money to the Fines Committee without hesitation, I would have stopped for a moment and asked God for wisdom for the evening that lay ahead of me. I would have refused to down the first drink and the fourth one. I would not have snuck out and kissed a boy whose name I can recall but still have no recollection of his family, marital status or age. I would not have done what I did at that beach house.

When looking into the Mirror of Erised I would see a girl who was not selfish. I would see someone who was living for God, doing everything she could in every opportunity given to her, to do what God would want from her. I would see a girl who didn't care so much about what her friends and family thought, but rather aspired to please God every single day instead of only once in a while. I would see a God smiling down on me always instead of a God who was hurt by what I had done with the opportunities that were given to me.

Each person that reads this knows of events in their lives that they wish they could have done differently. We would all like to relive a moment and do the right thing instead of making the mistakes that we regret, but that is not how life works. We are given choices. It is up to us to decide which choices we will make. We cannot take back what we have done back we can do things differently. If everybody did the right thing all the time, we would not be human. Making a mistake can bring us to our knees and with that, God showers us with a little bit of humility and gives us wisdom for the future.

As individuals, we need to remember who we are and who we want to be. When we fall we need to get back up and try again - that is when we will truly be people that we will be pleased with and who will make a difference to our world.
"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment... but trust in God , and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." - Anonymous

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment... but trust in God , and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." - Anonymous

Nice one :)

You're a very thoughtful person, nice writing.
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:42 pm
MasterGrieves says...

Whoa. That's all I can say. Although I disagree about the bit talking about how 'God showers us a little bit of humility and gives us wisdom for the future' (I am an Agnostic) I do respect you for being open about your views. Hell, I respect everyone who does so. I am also sorry to hear about your granddad. My granddad died when I was 12 years old of a brain aneurysm (a heart attack in the brain) and since then I have been getting stronger. I respect you Desire, for a lot of reasons. But I respect you the most when it comes to honesty in your writing. You know how to empathize with your reader. A very sweet article. Well done indeed :)
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 pm
Desire says...

Thanks for the reviews guys, I'm entering this into a competition so really appreciate how positive your reviews have been :) Glad you liked my piece :) xxx
"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment... but trust in God , and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." - Anonymous

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)