z

Young Writers Society

Daydreaming is an art

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:42 am
trisanki says...

I have topped my board exams, I have saved the U.S president from a crazy terrorist, written a bestselling book, had tea with the queen of England, and danced with Hrithik Roshan. I have done it all.

I have done it all in my head, silly. After years of cooking up the most craziest, silliest, impossible plots and carrying them out with élan in my dreams, I think I deserve some sort of recognition for it. I mean, daydreaming, though it may seem so, is no easy task; it is an art.

Most of my fellow daydreamers have rather insipid dreams involving just the bare outline without bothering much about the details, I, on the other hand, prize my daydreams for their vividness, possible due to the intricate details I remember like which brand of tea I chose to sip with the queen, the colour of the shirt Mr. Crazy Terrorist was wearing when he attempted a shootout on Mr. President, and so on. As I said daydreaming is an art requiring stark imagination and serene devotion.

People would argue that time spent thinking about impossible situations is a waste of time, but I say it is preparation. Who knows? There might really be an alien invasion in the future, and I, with all my meticulous thinking would be well prepared and might really save the earth from annihilation. And besides, there are the infinite pleasures of wishful thinking, dreaming about acing the impending test is so much better than dreading it.

Daydreaming is not without its perils though. Like so many revolutionary artists of the past and the present, sadly even my art is misunderstood and attempts have been made to crush it, but I have held on to it with resolute determination.

So there was poor me in mathematics class, trying hard to make sense out of the ratios and equations, willing them to reveal their answers but alas the numbers were uncooperative to the hilt, ignoring my fervent pleas of help, and remaining as unfathomable as before. Not being one to waste time and effort on futile attempts, I moved to the greener and more familiar pastures of daydreaming. Here, the previously disobliging numbers greeted me with cheerful waves and gave me answers, not only to the questions in my high school textbook but to those questions which had perplexed even the likes of Euclid, Aryabhatta, Newton. And from there, as was the usual fare, my daydream got bigger; news channels were scouring for my interviews, medals of all sorts began pouring, people world over were applauding me for my brilliance and then ... I woke up to find my mathematics teacher breathing fire on me. Needless to say, like always my protests about dedication to my art were futile and the consequences dire.

With my fanatical imagination (or as some people would put, it my ability to write limitless rubbish), I could go on and on about this humble art of mine. But for now I bid adieu to my dear readers who have taken the pains to finish reading this article and here is hoping that this inspires you to daydream (or not). Cheers !
Last edited by trisanki on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:16 pm
smvanr says...

Hi, I'm Stef and I'm here to look at your article. (: I actually like the idea you have going here, it's really neat and a fun short-read. I can tell you edited it before posting because there weren't any major grammar/spelling errors, which is awesome :). My biggest problem was that you have a tendency to make really long sentences or drop commas, which makes some sentences a little awkward to read. Breaking up some of those to change the sentence flow would help. Also, if you read your piece aloud, it's easier to pinpoint the awkward sentences (I don't know if you've tried that yet). But, here goes (red is changed stuff):

I have topped my board exams, I have saved the U.S president from a crazy terrorist, written a bestselling book, had tea with the queen of England, [and?] danced with Hrithik Roshan. I have done it all.

I have done it all in my head, silly. After years of cooking up the craziest, silliest, [most - "craziest" and "silliest" don't match "impossible," so add in the most. I think it's called parallelism.] impossible plots and carrying them out with %uFFFDlan in my dreams, I thought[think] I deserve some sort of recognition for it. I mean, daydreaming, though it may seem so, is no easy task; it is an art.[<-- this sentence is awkward. I think changing the last , to a ; would help :]

Most of my fellow daydreamers have rather insipid dreams involving just the bare outline without (bothering much about the details. - You could actually replace this whole phrase with the word "details" and it would still work.) I, on the other hand, prize my daydreams for [their - daydreams is plural] vividness, possible due to the intricate details [I remember?] like which brand of tea I chose [for a-> to] sip with the queen, the colour of the shirt Mr. Crazy Terrorist was wearing when he [decided to attempt-> attempted (cutting down wordiness)] a shootout on Mr. President, and so on. As I said daydreaming is an art requiring stark imagination and serene devotion [Is devotion serene? I guess it could work unless you can find a different adjective o: ].

People would argue that time spent [on-delete] thinking about impossible situations is a waste of time, but I say it is preparation. Who knows[? T]here might really be an alien invasion in the future, and I, with all my meticulous thinking, would be well prepared and [I- delete] might really save the earth from annihilation. And besides, there are the infinite pleasures of wishful thinking, [and] dreaming about acing the impending test is so much better than dreading it.

Daydreaming is not without its perils though. Like so many revolutionary artists of the present and the past, sadly even my art is misunderstood and attempts have been made to crush it, but I have held on to it with resolute determination. [<-- whoo long sentence. I would break up the sentence at "and attempts," so that there are two sentences instead of one long one. Also, for "the present and the past," you could rearrange it to be "the past and present" so that it's chronological.]

So there was poor me in mathematics class, trying hard to make sense out of the ratios and equations, willing them to reveal their answers, but alas the numbers were uncooperative to the hilt, ignoring my fervent pleas of help, and remaining as unfathomable as before [Another really long sentence... :o see if you can break it up into two sentences or maybe drop some of the description]. Not being one to waste time and effort on futile attempts, I moved to [the] greener and more familiar pastures of daydreaming. Here, the previously disobliging numbers greeted me with cheerful waves and gave me answers, not only [of-> to] the questions in my high school [book-> textbook?], but [also] to those questions [which->that] had [even perplexed-> perplexed even] the likes of Euclid, Aryabhatta, [and] Newton [and the sorts - delete]. And from there, as was the usual fare, my daydream got bigger; news channels were scouring for my interviews, medals of all sorts began pouring, people [world over-did you mean "all over the world"?] were applauding me for my brilliance and then ... I woke up to find my mathematics teacher breathing fire on me. Needless to say, like always my protests about [my-delete?] dedication to my art were futile and the consequences dire.

With my fanatical imagination (or as some people would put it, my ability to write limitless rubbish), I could go on and on about this humble art of mine. But [for now, ?] I bid adieu to my dear readers who have taken the pains to finish reading this article and [You can make this a new sentence :o] here is hoping that this inspires you to daydream (or not). Cheers[punctuation]

So that's that. This is also my first review, so please let me know if I've done anything wrong, or if I went overboard. :O I tend to do that sometimes. Also, definitely message me if anything doesn't make sense, and I can try to explain what I was thinking (:
Nice job, & keep it up! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm
lele253isme says...

This is so true, I am a daydreamer, and an afternoon dreamer, and even a late late late at night dreamer. I love your article, its well written and very, very good. And your philosophies on daydreaming are, simply put and true. This is, by far, the best article I have EVER read on Young writers Society, no lie..

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984