z

Young Writers Society

Wedding Night Well-Wishes? (Short Short Memoir)

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:05 pm
StandStrong says...

I shook the bird seed from my hair into the bath tub, the seeds falling to the white tub, sticking to my hairspray lacquered curls as my fingers yanked on the knots of goo and seed. The only way I could get this all out of my hair is with a shower and a couple fistfuls of conditioner. The thought of a warm shower was appealing—my toes were rubbed from my heels, my thick thighs bore deep indents from my white tights, and my body was chilled from my light, springy getaway dress. June bride though I might be, my layers and layers of slip and white dress had not been hot, but rather kept me suitably warm through the drizzly, foggy afternoon reception. I wasn't stoked to change into the knot-front, flare-skirted cobalt dress, and I had gotten a bit chilled after the toasting and running down the isle made by bird-seed-wielding, intoxicated elderly ladies who hadn't had the pleasure of showering a couple with rice in many years. I suspected my groom's grandmother had let fly the fistful that slipped down my cleavage and was held against my belly by my corset—which we discovered in the hotel room, a reveal much less romantic and much more humorous.

Reminiscing aside, my groom cranked on the hot water when my phone got a text in the next room—I had turned it on again, expecting a “Hey, I'm home and alive” text from one of my college girls. I slipped out of the bathroom and into the little, dark place with a sink before me and a closet behind me. I did get her anticipated “all's well” text, as well as one from my maid of honor.

I read the message and snorted in...in what? Indignation? Anger? Surprise? Fear? Oh, why did you have to forward text this to me, girl? I wondered. I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing he sent you this. Could this be an admission of him having finally given up on me, after years of carefully avoiding him? What was this and why did he bother to text me? Would I bother if the roles were reversed and he was getting married? Most certainly not, I decided.

I read it again.

Ben texted me to tell you best wishes on your wedding and a happy marriage.

From anyone else, that would be sweet and I would replay “thanks!”. If it was from anyone else, I would send them back one of many handwritten thank-you cards.

But no, I stood there hunched over my phone, squinting at the type, wondering what else that little jerkwad of an ex meant. I stood there, wondering about him on my wedding night, while my tights were tossed somewhere behind me, my shoes greedily kicked off into whatever corner they landed in, a pile of bobby pins and small silk flowers lay on the nightstand, my corset was carefully folded on a dresser, and my groom was filling the shower with muggy, warm clouds. I stood there in the cold room, naked but for cakey mascara and glumped, seed-filled hair, staring at the phone with the message.

In order to know what he really meant by texting me on my wedding night—hence taking my attention from my husband—I would need to understand better what my ex had gone through the last five years. Did he hate me for dumping him in favor of my now-groom? Back then, I'd been dating him—Ben—for years and he'd been on the verge of proposing, but I cut him away from me once I realized I was in love with another after only a few weeks. I knew I already loved this new man more than I could ever love him, and I didn't care if this new man shared my affections—once I'd tasted what it was to be treated as I ought to be, I could never again be contended with him. I knew if I didn't get away from him, I'd become embittered, constantly picking fights, trapped in a loveless relationship to keep him from suicide. Did he appreciate my brutal life lesson in love now that he's had five more years to grow up, or was he the same manipulator he was back then?

I sighed, choosing what I would do with this unwelcomed intrusion, his attempt to worm himself back into my life in some way. My toes were chilled, and I heard the rustle of my love pulling back the curtain to slip in the shower—I needed to get in there quick before my groom hogged the hot water.

I deleted his message, sent a quick “glad you're home safe” text to my college girl friend, then pressed the shut-down button on my phone, and not even waiting to watch it die, yanked open the shower door and dove into the hot mists of my new marriage.
Bob: hmm, there's a lesson in all this.
Mr. Eglamore: Okay. Let's hear it.
Bob: Never let sixty angry kids use a herd of laser cows to take over your house.

Gunnerkrigg Court is awesome.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=632

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:40 pm
TheRazzle says...

Nice piece, cool concept. I feel like this could have turned into something, almost like the prologue to a mystery novel, but it does great on its own too. Just a few little things:

—my toes were rubbed from my heels

I would say my toes were rubbed raw, or something to that effect. It adds description, and sounds better.

Back then, I'd been dating him—Ben—for years and he'd been on the verge of proposing, but I cut him away from me once I realized I was in love with another after only a few weeks.

There is something akward about this sentance that I can't quite put my finger on. It isn't a run-on sentence, but it feels like one. It just reads funny in my mind.
Great job though, and I really liked the end. Way to move foreward! =)
Razzle
Cake and tea or death, cake or tea and death?! Little red cook book, little red cook book!
-Eddie Izzard

I am an evil herbivore. I will eat all the leaves on this tree. I will eat more leaves than I should... so that other giraffes may die!
-Also Eddie Izzard

12 Reviews

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm
View Likes
StandStrong says...

Thanks! I will make some changes to the rubbed raw bit... and that entire paragraph was a bear! We're dealing not only with timey-wimey-ness (to quote Dr Who), but also with two antecedents. I do agree--a change must be done to that sentence, maybe it'll occur to me later. I'm glad the piece works as a whole.

I figured after the first 15 or so views with no comments, the basic grammar and spelling must be right. I was wondering what the reader response was? Feel free to blurt it out. It's not exactly an endearing memory, as one might well imagine.

And, interesting thought about using it as the opening to a mystery, ect. That's pretty nifty.
Bob: Never let sixty angry kids use a herd of laser cows to take over your house.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 pm
SilverLove says...

I really liked your story, lots of great description :) It's a good length, too, because it stops before her thinking processes start to get a little repetitive or boring. Good work! A few little things I picked up on, though:

I shook the bird seed from my hair into the bath tub, the seeds falling to the white tub, sticking to my hairspray lacquered curls as my fingers yanked on the knots of goo and seed.

You use the word "seed" in one sentence three times, and it makes it a tad repetitive. You also mention the tub twice in a way that strikes me as a little redundant. You could get rid of "the seeds falling to the white tub", and the sentence would still say the exact same thing. "sticking to my hairspray lacquered curls" also doesn't seem to fit where it is. What is sticking to your hair? I mean, obviously it's the seed, but the way it is written almost makes it sound like you meant your hair was sticking to the tub :)

The only way I could get this all out of my hair is with a shower and a couple fistfuls of conditioner.

The "is" here should really be a "was", because you're writing in past tense.

running down the isle

"isle" should be "aisle"

bird-seed-wielding, intoxicated elderly ladies who hadn't had the pleasure of showering a couple with rice in many years.

Nothing wrong here, I just wanted to say that I love this sentence!

Ben texted me to tell you best wishes on your wedding and a happy marriage.

I'm not sure, but should this be in italics or some form of quotation marks or something? Since it isn't, you almost can't tell it's the actual text message.

I would replay %u201Cthanks!%u201D.

"replay" should be "reply".

, staring at the phone with the message.

This doesn't seem to flow right, I think that you could delete the "with the message part", and again it would still make sense and would sound a bit better.

I could never again be contended with him.

I think that you meant "content" not "contended" here.

dove into the hot mists of my new marriage.

Once again there's nothing wrong here, it's just a beautiful sentence :)

Keep writing, I hope to see more of your stuff :)
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out...

12 Reviews

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 am
StandStrong says...

LOL!!! I love it when mistypes are pointed out to me--most of them are so comical! Yet another reason why we all must make sure to run things through an editor before they're published!

Hmm... and the text message was in italics. Must have gotten lost in the switch over from word doc to posting.

Great catches, SilverLove and TheRazzle! I will make the recommended changes, most definitely.

And...you should have seen the grins on those elderly ladies! Holy crap, I thought I was actually going to back down but Zech grabbed me and yanked me though it. If any of you ladies try it, I recommend wearing a double veil (It'll save you a pet cleaning fee at the hotel).

And, yes, I'm actually finishing a rough draft of a fantasy novel. First chapters should be posted by Friday. I have to type frantically until my man comes home from his weeklong arch dig in the Ruby Mountains and begs for cuddling and homemade dinners.

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart